Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2008, 15:57   #871
BHPian

That esteem has A,B,C pillars made up of plastic! Poor integrity. It could not with stand the roll! I am sure most other cars would've held up better.
Old 1st July 2008, 16:11   #872
Senior - BHPian

ripper, that road is the famed 4 lane ekm, chrtla highway??
the tyres are to be blamed here. pathetic tyres. that is standing water and you need really good tyres to split and throw the water from your way. otherwise the car will just float. no wonder it skidded. the exteem stopped just a few meters sort of the tea shop. lucky fellows.
Old 1st July 2008, 16:17   #873
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If everyone did walk away safe from that Esteem, they better be thanking the Gods right now! Hydroplaning can be scary at speed and there really is not much one can do once stuck....you are little more than a flying missile. Best solution is to drive slow in the rains and avoid puddles as much as possible.
Old 1st July 2008, 16:28   #874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
That esteem has A,B,C pillars made up of plastic! Poor integrity. It could not with stand the roll! I am sure most other cars would've held up better.
What else to expect from a sedan which is much lighter than a lot of small cars in the market.
Old 1st July 2008, 16:34   #875
BHPian

Unlucky Alto chap; safe driving would have saved him a lot of monies.
Old 1st July 2008, 16:36   #876
rippergeo

There was more than ankle deep water on the 4 lane highway, where people do 80+ even when its raining. even the best tyres could not have saved the esteem. there was too much water.
Even at 80kmph on my potenzas, that highway felt like ice this morning. drove at a pedestrian 60kmph(instead of my customary 100) after I felt my rear tyres losing grip at 80kmph(which I initially thought was a safe speed)

Agreed the A,B and C pillars in the esteem are useless. but, the car would have flown atleast 30 metres(estimate)from where the 1st pic was taken to where the car finally landed in the 3rd pic. I'm not aware of any car, whose roof could take that kind of impact.

also note- The esteem uprooted the lampost and still continued its flight path across 4 lanes and ended up on the hard shoulder of the other side. Velocity would have been significant.

The stretch of road before that was completely straight, pothole free and had no standing water.
To be honest, its a stretch I do 100 at regularly and I would have had some tense moments if I had not seen the wreck on my way to work earlier today(pics taken on return journey)

Old 1st July 2008, 18:02   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
ripper, that road is the famed 4 lane ekm, chrtla highway??
the tyres are to be blamed here. pathetic tyres. that is standing water and you need really good tyres to split and throw the water from your way. otherwise the car will just float. no wonder it skidded. the exteem stopped just a few meters sort of the tea shop. lucky fellows.

Agreed. The tyres are to be blamed. Threy dont look too good. There is a limit for every tyre's grip. Even the best of tyres dont hold pretty well when there is a lot of water.

When driving at 60+ km/h from Karwar to Hubli in my Corsa, with heavy rains and fog on the road, I could hear my S322's screaming as the road was rough but I could still feel the rear tyres slide a bit in turnings
Old 1st July 2008, 18:26   #878
Senior - BHPian

The footwear condition of Esteem is surely not good.

O.T. : This is not to pin point finger on the Esteem driver, but is that a liquor bottle hanging out of the boot ?
Old 1st July 2008, 19:37   #879
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> O.T. : This is not to pin point finger on the Esteem driver, but is that a liquor > bottle hanging out of the boot ?

Well, that looks like a Colin glass cleaner spray bottle.
Old 2nd July 2008, 00:20   #880
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, those rear tyres sure are pretty bald, whereas the front aint too bad.

Heres a very interesting post regarding this : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...tml#post766056 (see the video in the link)

Also, i wonder if the alto driver was rubbernecking - or he just got scared / tried to avoid the esteem that was somersaulting onto his side of the road!

cya
R
Old 2nd July 2008, 06:35   #881
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Also, i wonder if the alto driver was rubbernecking - or he just got scared / tried to avoid the esteem that was somersaulting onto his side of the road!

cya
R
the alto accident happened 2 hrs after the esteem crashed according to the shopkeepers.

Old 2nd July 2008, 06:54   #882
BHPian

Ripper was that esteem having KL7W regn.. If so I Know the car...
Old 2nd July 2008, 07:07   #883
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Ripper was that esteem having KL7W regn.. If so I Know the car...
It was a KL7 reg car. dont remember the full number.I didnt take pics of the number plate.

Old 2nd July 2008, 07:19   #884
BHPian

hmm but that under ABT care sticker reminds me of a car...
THe owner never used to maintain it.. not even change the oil..

But he never kinda speeds.. Nice to hear that everybody escaped alive..

The esteem seems like it crumpled after everybody got out.. no sign of the doors tried to be pried open

Last edited by Jomz : 2nd July 2008 at 07:22.
Old 2nd July 2008, 10:09   #885
Senior - BHPian

Just saw this Omni on the EEH in Ghatkopar.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0025.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks