Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 13:49   #8956
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
Human life is more important than one's ego,
That's exactly the point I am trying to make. Many a times the drivers' ego makes them drive differently than they would normally do. I was driving normally and had no intentions of racing with anybody. All I wanted to do was to pass a slower moving vehicle. The slower moving vehicle instead of moving out of the way suddenly speeded up and tailgated the vehicle in front and veered out of the way intentionally so that I would crash into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
I can understand your frustration, but no offense my dear friend, you were also breaking law by driver over 130+ kph, then how can you blame the Cab driver alone? Whether it is a single carriage way or dual it is way over the legal speed limit.
Guilty as charged! But in my defense this was on four laned GQ highway and nowhere near any town limits and was perfectly safe for these speeds. Any idea what is the speed limit on a highway if there is no speed limit sign put up?

Driving over speed limit is one rule that is most violated in our country. Many highways do not have speed limit sign board and some that do have are so low that if one drives at that speed you are sure to get rear ended and be held responsible for that accident!
Old 11th August 2011, 15:26   #8957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Any idea what is the speed limit on a highway if there is no speed limit sign put up?
AFAIK, the National speed limit for National Highways is 80kmph (its 70kmph in Kerala). According to guys in the traffic department, you are required to know this even without a signboard! On Expressways, its 100kmph (IIRC). So, if there is no signboard, its assumed that the max limit is 80kmph (70 for Kerala). And if there is a signboard, the speed mentioned is the max.

Quote:
Many highways do not have speed limit sign board and some that do have are so low that if one drives at that speed you are sure to get rear ended and be held responsible for that accident!
If there is a speed limit, how would you get rear ended? If you are, doesn't it mean the other guy was overspeeding? And in case of rear-ending, isn't the guy you bangs into your vehicle responsible??
Old 11th August 2011, 15:36   #8958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Driving over speed limit is one rule that is most violated in our country. Many highways do not have speed limit sign board and some that do have are so low that if one drives at that speed you are sure to get rear ended and be held responsible for that accident!
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post

If there is a speed limit, how would you get rear ended? If you are, doesn't it mean the other guy was overspeeding? And in case of rear-ending, isn't the guy you bangs into your vehicle responsible??

Even if you stopped on the right most lane, for whatever reasons, rear ending is always the fault of the person who rear ended you. The person who was rear ended cannot be held responsible for the incident.

Max limit I heard of Indian E/H ways was 100 KMPH.
Old 11th August 2011, 16:32   #8959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
What I meant was, speed limits sometimes are very difficult to follow. Many occasions there are signs of 20 kph and 30 kph on stretches which are good for 60 or even 80, well within boundaries of safety. If one slows down to this speed , you will find that almost everyone is going past you at much higher speed. People almost look at you as if you are at fault for following the speed limit. Hence the fear of being rear ended. Whosever fault it is, and whoever is held responsible, getting rear ended on the highway is scary.

I am not trying to justify overspeeding or driving over speed limit here. But sometimes following rules can be a risk in itself. The Bangalore Airport road is a perfect example of this. THe signal lights here work 24 x7. When I go to drop some relatives to the airport to catch some early morning flights say at 2 AM or so, I stop at a red light no matter what. But many others, esp cab drivers just whiz by from all directions. I feel that I am putting myself (and these people) at risk by following the rules. I almost fear for my life when standing at these signals. I really don't know what to do.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 11th August 2011 at 16:34.
Old 11th August 2011, 21:40   #8960
Senior - BHPian

This is not an accident picture but there is more to this than meets the eye. This can be a causative factor for an accident. One that is waiting to happen.
For commercial purposes safety is sidelined.

Pity for a pittance.

I was waiting to make a right turn, but vision is greatly obstructed and bikes will not be visible till.....
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11082011520.jpg  

Old 11th August 2011, 23:43   #8961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Even if you stopped on the right most lane, for whatever reasons, rear ending is always the fault of the person who rear ended you. The person who was rear ended cannot be held responsible for the incident.
I don't think that is completely accurate. If a vehicle is stranded on a highway, it should be moved to the side of the road. If it is impossible to move the vehicle, then appropriate warnings (triangle, hazard warning lights) should be enabled at a sufficient distance behind the vehicle to warn traffic.

This is especially true at night, on unlit or ill-lit highways where it is not always possible to react in time. Sometimes reacting late can even make a bad situation worse (roll-overs or multi-vehicle accidents).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Max limit I heard of Indian E/H ways was 100 KMPH.
There are stretches on the existing Delhi-Agra highway where the speed limit is denoted as 80 (or lower if there is a town/village ahead). There are also sign that state "Speed Limit Ends". I always assumed that to mean that there is no upper limit on these stretches. No mention of a lower speed-limit, though.
Old 12th August 2011, 08:35   #8962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMUDRA View Post
and people like those women will use it to their advantage even when they are on the wrong side.
I repeat, the law should work for me too right (or you)? Nobody has a right to touch someone and not in the manner you went through. It is wrong. If someone touches me during an argument such as what you went through, that will go horribly wrong for the other person even if it the fairer sex. You can talk and fight it out. Why get physical.

It is beyond me how you stayed quiet. I do agree that it is the best thing to do but not after someone hit your motorcycle. You were also very polite to them about their car bumping into you and they were outright rude.
Old 12th August 2011, 09:25   #8963
Distinguished - BHPian

I would say that there are several roads (two lane roads with more traffic) in which if you are going to follow the speed limit or if you go slow then for sure you are going to end up in trouble. For example, Hyderabad-Vijaywada stretch. If you are going to drive slow in this road then everyone will try to overtake you irrespective of the opposite direction traffic and each time you will end going off the road. So, it doesn't make sense at all in these kind of roads to drive slowly.
Old 12th August 2011, 09:48   #8964
BHPian

Quote:
so it's always advisable best to complain the matter to the police than taking the law into your own hands. in my case even though a police SI was standing next to me, he could not do anything as a male counterpart he too cannot touch the women. and people like those women will use it to their advantage even when they are on the wrong side.
I can understand your statement about not taking the law into one's own hands but the fact that an SI can do nothing to an offender just because of their sex is very hard to digest in today's world. On one hand we had the women's liberation movement but on the other, we are still governed by these archaic laws? If a woman can do everything a man can, she should also be governed by the same rules.

There was an incident in Bangalore some months ago when some drunk Iranian women assaulted traffic policemen and no one could do anything about it.

Not acceptable, I'm afraid.
Old 12th August 2011, 10:25   #8965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I repeat, the law should work for me too right (or you)? Nobody has a right to touch someone and not in the manner you went through. It is wrong. If someone touches me during an argument such as what you went through, that will go horribly wrong for the other person even if it the fairer sex. You can talk and fight it out. Why get physical.

It is beyond me how you stayed quiet. I do agree that it is the best thing to do but not after someone hit your motorcycle. You were also very polite to them about their car bumping into you and they were outright rude.
Sandeep youre defending a POV which wont find a lot of takers here.
If as per you you things wont turn out well for even the fairer sex, good for you.
That you brought up law, and it working for everyone else, well, some are more equal than others.
Women, by the earlier(and still going on) atrocious behaviour enacted by men towards them need, and have, the weight of the law on their side, precisely to prevent such behaviour.

Tell me, if you get slapped by a woman during an argument, and you give her a punch or a slap, who's going to come off the worse in this, short term?
Her.
which is where the law will kick in (literally), and in the long term you will get capitally capital treatment, especially painful, from the authorities.

I'd suggest next time you get that urge, subdue it.
Old 12th August 2011, 10:35   #8966
BHPian

Chikmagalur, Aug 11: In an accident that occurred at Dinnkere-Mavinahalli bend on Chikmagalur-Moodigere Road on Wednesday August 10, a bike rider lost his life. The presence of mind exhibited by the driver of a KSRTC bus that was passing by, saved the lives of about 70 people, it is gathered.

Read further here: Chikmagalur: Accident – Bike Rider Dies, Providential Escape for 70

Pic courtesy: www.daijiworld.com

Old 12th August 2011, 10:45   #8967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
I don't think that is completely accurate. If a vehicle is stranded on a highway, it should be moved to the side of the road. If it is impossible to move the vehicle, then appropriate warnings (triangle, hazard warning lights) should be enabled at a sufficient distance behind the vehicle to warn traffic.

This is especially true at night, on unlit or ill-lit highways where it is not always possible to react in time. Sometimes reacting late can even make a bad situation worse (roll-overs or multi-vehicle accidents).

While I agree with you on the required visible signs to alert a driver. One should always drive at such speeds that their head lamps help. If one cannot stop in time after sighting the obstacle then by all probabilities (s)he is over speeding.
Old 12th August 2011, 11:28   #8968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I'd suggest next time you get that urge, subdue it.

Suppose a woman comes and slaps you during an argument.
So what according to you then is the correct way to respond ?
Is it okay to be victimised as long as the prepetuator belongs to the female gender ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

Women, by the earlier(and still going on) atrocious behaviour enacted by men towards them
Do you believe because somebody has been victimised he/she has the moral right to victimise someone else. If your house has been robbed does it give you the moral right to rob somebody else's house.

If women has been wronged it does not mean they have the right to do wrong other people.

Women need laws to protect them becuase of their gender vunerabilites. But that does not mean you throw common sense and fairness out of the box.

You have MCPs ( Male Chauvnaist P....). There also exists another group of people who are 180 degress opposed to these class of people. ( Female Chauvanist ... ). I have a term for both these groups - "gender extremists" (GE). GEs are as dangerous to society as are other extremists ( religious, left , right etc. )
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 11:45   #8969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Suppose a woman comes and slaps you during an argument.
So what according to you then is the correct way to respond ?
Is it okay to be victimised as long as the prepetuator belongs to the female gender ?

Do you believe because somebody has been victimised he/she has the moral right to victimise someone else. If your house has been robbed does it give you the moral right to rob somebody else's house.

If women has been wronged it does not mean they have the right to do wrong other people.

Women need laws to protect them becuase of their gender vunerabilites. But that does not mean you throw common sense and fairness out of the box.

You have MCPs ( Male Chauvnaist P....). There also exists another group of people who are 180 degress opposed to these class of people. ( Female Chauvanist ... ). I have a term for both these groups - "gender extremists" (GE). GEs are as dangerous to society as are other extremists ( religious, left , right etc. )
youve quoted my statements in isloation, making it sound , well basically, "gender extremist".

So okay, do carry on.
Next time a woman slaps you during an argument, go ahead and slap her back.
Dont be a "victimized".
Cheerios.
Old 12th August 2011, 12:47   #8970
BHPian

Quote:
A crazy thing happened this morning.
While on my way to office in my ThunderBird near Sujatha theatre Okalipuram, a white swift came next to me and his side view mirror hit the end of my handle bar. as the car was with 3 women and a guy driving I told him not to hap-hazardously drive which then hurt the driver's ego so much that he just banged my bike again... (this was really a sickening experience). so near Okalipuram junction I spoke to the traffic inspector who stopped this car and asked the driver to get down.
Then came the 3 women out of the car telling that it was I who hit their car first and practically pulling my jacket. when I remember that, even now I feel, do we have such sort of hooligan women around us?. it was really nasty the inspector looking at this asked me to raise a complaint at the station.
after this I came to the office and have raised a complaint on the BTP site.
need to see what happens next.....
Hi
Do not worry since they were trying to admire your jacket (on a lighter note) let go mate let go! women are protected in a very protracted way by law and it is very easy for them to raise hell out of nothing and they can get away with almost anything

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks