Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 20:19   #9136
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Fourteen bus passengers, including three children, were killed and 33 others were injured in a road accident involving a government bus and a private bus on the Tiruchi-Madurai National Highway at Lanjamedu junction near Kovilpatti.

Looks like the government local bus was on the wrong lane of the Highway.

Source: The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : 14 killed as buses collide near Tiruchi

I have seen lot of Private and Government long distance buses taking wrong lane just to enter any of the hotels on the other side of the road and causing several accidents these days.
Whoa!!!

The bus has been literally ripped apart. Seriously, what kind of buses does TNSTC make???
Old 5th September 2011, 20:27   #9137
Senior - BHPian

An accident happened in the capital that caused two deaths.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-getimage.dll.jpg

Happened near moti bagh flyover (ring road) in early morning hours. Complete details in TOI Delhi.

-> It is a point of concern actually that such incidents are happening quite frequently on Ring Road/ Gurgaon E-way. I have seen trucks driven at slow speeds with their taillights off/malfunctioned and causing accidents.

Last edited by bluevolt : 5th September 2011 at 20:29.
Old 5th September 2011, 21:14   #9138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Fourteen bus passengers, including three children, were killed and 33 others were injured in a road accident involving a government bus and a private bus on the Tiruchi-Madurai National Highway at Lanjamedu junction near Kovilpatti.

Looks like the government local bus was on the wrong lane of the Highway.

Source: The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : 14 killed as buses collide near Tiruchi

I have seen lot of Private and Government long distance buses taking wrong lane just to enter any of the hotels on the other side of the road and causing several accidents these days.
Holy cow! Almost the entire right side of the TNSTC bus is ripped apart in the impact. I can imagine just one reason for this. The TNSTC bus should have been traveling at a much lesser speed than the private bus and the latter would have just ploughed into the former.

But, why the hell was the TNSTC bus traveling in the opposite lane in the superb NH45? Seriously, there are many morons like this driver who just switch on their headlights and indicators and drive in the opposite lane as if it was their own turf. I have experienced this first hand a lot of times. Will these people ever learn? How many more innocent lives should be lost to make these people understand the importance of road rules and safety?
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 09:21   #9139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Holy cow! Almost the entire right side of the TNSTC bus is ripped apart in the impact. I can imagine just one reason for this. The TNSTC bus should have been traveling at a much lesser speed than the private bus and the latter would have just ploughed into the former.

But, why the hell was the TNSTC bus traveling in the opposite lane in the superb NH45? Seriously, there are many morons like this driver who just switch on their headlights and indicators and drive in the opposite lane as if it was their own turf. I have experienced this first hand a lot of times. Will these people ever learn? How many more innocent lives should be lost to make these people understand the importance of road rules and safety?
I don't think this is going to stop any time soon. Drivers are always willing to take risk just to save a minute or two. Even well educated professionals don't mind to take the wrong lane in NH to save some time. I have seen this several times in front of A2B(Near Krishnagiri and Thoppur) which is in Bangalore-Salem highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Whoa!!!

The bus has been literally ripped apart. Seriously, what kind of buses does TNSTC make???
Looks to be a Old TNSTC bus...They have good buses in cities and major towns but when it comes to buses going to villages they still use these old buses. 13 from this bus was killed and one from the private bus.
Old 6th September 2011, 10:07   #9140
BHPian

Here are pics of my colleague's brother's car which met with an unfortunate accident last week in Muscat due to tyre burst, the car was doing around 120 ~140 kph. All the 4 occupants, including one yr old baby had miraculous escape, except each had minor facture.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pic-060.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pic-062.jpg  

Old 6th September 2011, 10:32   #9141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
Here are pics of my colleague's brother's car which met with an unfortunate accident last week in Muscat due to tyre burst, the car was doing around 120 ~140 kph. All the 4 occupants, including one yr old baby had miraculous escape, except each had minor facture.
How and why does this tyre burst happens?
Old 6th September 2011, 10:58   #9142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which car from Mitsubishi is this?

This is a case of tyre burst, but the rear end seems to be a complete mess. Do not see any airbags that were deployed. So assuming that there was no frontal impact. That is surprising.
Old 6th September 2011, 12:04   #9143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Glad to know the occupants are safe, but how come the rear is so much of mess when the car had a tire burst? Was it rear ended as well?
Old 6th September 2011, 12:15   #9144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Glad to know the occupants are safe, but how come the rear is so much of mess when the car had a tire burst? Was it rear ended as well?

wasnt there case of a tyre burst accident in delhi, of a mitsu shogun some years back?
Vadehra's, i think.
It toplled a few times(???).
That one was fatal, if i recall.
Old 6th September 2011, 12:53   #9145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe the panels of the bus were ripped open after the accident to gain access to rescue the passengers.
Old 6th September 2011, 13:22   #9146
BHPian

Quote:

I was crossing this section at around 11 a.m. yesterday from Madurai to Chennai (couple of hours before the accident). I came across 4 vehicle between Madurai to Trichy coming in the wrong lane, where i was forced to move to the next lane to avoid them.

Instead of going additional one or two KMs and take the U tern, these people come in the wrong direction. That too, they use the fast lane (the right side one, close to the median). Because of this, when ever there is a curve which turns right and blocks the view, i used to move to the left lane just to make sure someone not appearing suddenly in front. It is one of the best road to drive, but you have many such risks.

You should be right with respect to the speed of the bus. The government bus, should be going in a lesser speed as it is going in the wrong direction. Considering the good road condition, the private bus should be on higher speed.
Old 6th September 2011, 16:50   #9147
Senior - BHPian

Hit and run case: Attempt to flee the accident spot costs the person his life. Bad. Trafficwise, Pune is already down in the dumps

DNA E-Paper - Daily News & Analysis -Mumbai,Pune, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, India
Old 6th September 2011, 17:45   #9148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Hit and run case: Attempt to flee the accident spot costs the person his life. Bad. Trafficwise, Pune is already down in the dumps

DNA E-Paper - Daily News & Analysis -Mumbai,Pune, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, India

Somehow I smell fish in what police reported. I mean the banker's Accent grazed the car and the occupants sustained injuries to hands and legs? And then, he sped away so much that he lost control and hit a divider and lost his life? Is it just me?
Old 6th September 2011, 19:00   #9149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
How and why does this tyre burst happens?
Hi bluevolt

Not a very easy one to have a single cause due to sheer variety of reasons
1) Low tyre pressure and continued driving at speeds or with load can cause sidewall damage and leads to overheating and premature tyre wear out leading to tread disintegration /tyre burst
(2) Driving over obstructions or up against a kerb or through a pothohole and continued stress (while parking alongside the kerb) this may weaken the tyre but if unattended the above point (1) may come into play
(3) excessive loading against given indicators are a bigger cause and also

(4) driving at speeds beyond the manufacturer rating for speed are also prime culprits for such issuesHope this answers your query to a certain extent.

Always ensure that you have read the sidewall tyre indicators for the load and max speed allowed for the tyre fitted on your car it really helps.

Last edited by Dieseldunk : 6th September 2011 at 19:03. Reason: font used
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 19:22   #9150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I was crossing this section at around 11 a.m. yesterday from Madurai to Chennai (couple of hours before the accident). I came across 4 vehicle between Madurai to Trichy coming in the wrong lane, where i was forced to move to the next lane to avoid them.

Instead of going additional one or two KMs and take the U tern, these people come in the wrong direction. That too, they use the fast lane (the right side one, close to the median). Because of this, when ever there is a curve which turns right and blocks the view, i used to move to the left lane just to make sure someone not appearing suddenly in front. It is one of the best road to drive, but you have many such risks.

You should be right with respect to the speed of the bus. The government bus, should be going in a lesser speed as it is going in the wrong direction. Considering the good road condition, the private bus should be on higher speed.
Hi Devakumar

totally am in sync on this one. People try to save time and fuel by taking shortcuts which are cutting short their lifespan. Many a time (as a frequent user of the chennai-blr GQ) have seen motorist (2, 3,4 and trucks and sometimes ambulances without siren) shown the scant respect for lane rules and absolute disdain of safety concern for other motorist on the road.
Especially in Chennai motorists have rule to in a roundabout people cut across rather than go for completion of the roundabout.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks