Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 21:01   #9601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul

I smell a scam here - if the TD customer has to pay, then what about Insurance claim? No car can be on the road un-insured. I can understand the customer paying the overheads not covered under Insurance (depreciation etc). Then in the case it is not the customers fault, the 3rd party that crashed into the vehicle can cover with his insurance.

Are the dealers making a fast buck here?

--Ragul
I recall that td cars are declared and insured as such,ie,that xxxx is a td vehicle.
I think the form you have mentioned is indemnity.
I don't think they can legally ask a customer to pay for damages.
Old 24th October 2011, 23:17   #9602
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I recall that td cars are declared and insured as such,ie,that xxxx is a td vehicle.
Can you explain what that means?

I told the SA I am not signing it. And that time we were sure of booking both the Jetta and the Vento. But he made it very clear that without it we can't TD and we are free to try elsewhere. Although I don't think myself that such a document will hold in the court of law as they don't even verify your signature. You can scribble anything and they are ok with it.
Old 24th October 2011, 23:57   #9603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg

Can you explain what that means?

I told the SA I am not signing it. And that time we were sure of booking both the Jetta and the Vento. But he made it very clear that without it we can't TD and we are free to try elsewhere. Although I don't think myself that such a document will hold in the court of law as they don't even verify your signature. You can scribble anything and they are ok with it.
this was from a couple.of td s I took a few months back.
4 actually.
I didn't sign a single chit.
And some discussions here I fished out after your query:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sured-not.html

I mean,then what's that ad about "test it like you own it"?
Old 25th October 2011, 01:23   #9604
Senior - BHPian

Hey mayankk,

It does seem funny to me as well but only now. I do not know how old you are but those were the days when bombs had exploded in the recent past all over the city and Dilli used to be a dead place by 8~8.30 pm and this was in winters when the Sun sets by 5.30 and roads would be deserted in the late evenings. The extended families with their tiffins & picnic baskets had vanished from the lawns of Rajpath and every unclaimed object anywhere was supposedly a bomb and you could actually drive on city roads.

Quote:
The above is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Can you explain what that means?:eek
One basically bears responsibility for self in case one is involved in an accident and gets hurt or moves on. The dealership cannot be held liable to pay any damages. That is what the thinking is behind that little piece of paper. Whether that will actually have any standing in a court of law is another story.

Quote:
I mean,then what's that ad about "test it like you own it"?
They are smart alecs. You would not drive your car in any which way that might damage/destroy it and that is exactly what they mean even though the advert shows differently. Reverse psychology at work.
Old 25th October 2011, 09:51   #9605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hey mayankk,

It does seem funny to me as well but only now. I do not know how old you are but those were the days when bombs had exploded in the recent past all over the city and Dilli used to be a dead place by 8~8.30 pm and this was in winters when the Sun sets by 5.30 and roads would be deserted in the late evenings. The extended families with their tiffins & picnic baskets had vanished from the lawns of Rajpath and every unclaimed object anywhere was supposedly a bomb and you could actually drive on city roads.
2000-01?
I was a wee lad running around a screaming rx100...
I thought for a moment you were talking you were referring to the time when Mr India came out.
Good ballpark on the age, eh?
Old 25th October 2011, 12:10   #9606
BHPian

Head-on collision between a truck and Tata Ace results in 2 deaths on spot!

Bhatkal : Tata Ace-Truck Accident - Two from Moodbidri Die on Spot

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc.jpg

News and pic credits: daijiworld
Old 25th October 2011, 12:29   #9607
BHPian

A KSRTC bus collided head-on with a Maruti Omni, killing six passengers in the van

Mandya: KSRTC-Omni Collision - Six Killed on Spot, One Critical

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc.jpg

News and pics credit: daijiworld
Old 25th October 2011, 12:29   #9608
Senior - BHPian

Check out this article :

Article Window

The educated driver died of head and chest injuries after his crash. Something that perhaps could have been avoided had he been wearing seat belts.
Old 25th October 2011, 12:56   #9609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
There is a technique, which I always follow which is to keep the left leg tucked back near the seat, until you are so completely and utterly adjusted to driving an AT that you might forget to use the clutch in a manual!
Since I keep alternating between the MT Baleno/Swift and the AT A-Star, what I do is keep my left foot firmly planted (as it would be when clutch is fully pressed) at the place where the C-pedal would have been. My problem is the left hand - I occasionally try to shift gears on the AT-stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
The educated driver died of head and chest injuries after his crash. Something that perhaps could have been avoided had he been wearing seat belts.
A couple I know hit another car in their M800. The driver was belted up and escaped with almost no injuries, while his wife who was seated in front passenger seat (not belted) suffered serious injuries (head / face) - mostly due to hitting the windshield. I used to insist only on front-seatbelts, but after the Ford DSFL programme last Sunday, the importance of belting up in the rear was very clear. Especially when you have kids sitting/standing in the rear-middle seat - the video showed a kid flying straight through the front windshield when her Dad braked hard.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 25th October 2011 at 12:58.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 13:06   #9610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I used to insist only on front-seatbelts, but after the Ford DSFL programme last Sunday, the importance of belting up in the rear was very clear. Especially when you have kids sitting/standing in the rear-middle seat - the video showed a kid flying straight through the front windshield when her Dad braked hard.
Thanks for bringing this up This is why there are casualties in bus accidents .The bus bodies are intact ,but passenger bodies would be lying around .

Anything/anyone that is not belted or secure in a vehicle is at risk for themselves as well as for others who have their belts on .

But our smart people would say " in city ...dont need belts " ,but most people I have heard say is " Not compulsory for rear seat passengers/ Not compulsory in our city "
Old 25th October 2011, 13:22   #9611
Senior - BHPian

^^^
@speedsatya, that brings up another apprehension I am having since last June when my 4-year old son started school. The school-bus is new and all, but does not have seat-belts and it worries me no end, since he is too small to handle the sudden brake/acceleration of the bus. This is in a small town in Kerala, but I don't see belts in buses here in Chennai either. Anyone knows school-buses (specific models) that come with seat-belts ?

BTW, I tried the office cab (Tempo Traveller) for a few days, but gave up and returned to my car, mainly because it did not have seat-belts and you know how the cabbies race in Chennai. Most people initially resist using belts, but once you start using it, you can never drive without it.
Old 25th October 2011, 15:24   #9612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Check out this article :

Article Window

If the damage goes beyond what the crumple zones can absorb, and the wheel is rammed into the driver's chest, seat belts won't help. Otherwise... yes indeed.

Quote:
My problem is the left hand - I occasionally try to shift gears on the AT-stick.
Neither of my ATs were very good at doing 0-30MPH, the AT seeming to soak up too much of the power ... so I did quite a lot of "clutchless gear changing" anyway.
Old 25th October 2011, 15:30   #9613
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
^^^
@speedsatya, that brings up another apprehension I am having since last June when my 4-year old son started school. The school-bus is new and all, but does not have seat-belts and it worries me no end, since he is too small to handle the sudden brake/acceleration of the bus. This is in a small town in Kerala, but I don't see belts in buses here in Chennai either. Anyone knows school-buses (specific models) that come with seat-belts ?

BTW, I tried the office cab (Tempo Traveller) for a few days, but gave up and returned to my car, mainly because it did not have seat-belts and you know how the cabbies race in Chennai. Most people initially resist using belts, but once you start using it, you can never drive without it.
Seat belts can cause sever injury to children. Never use a seat belt on a small child.

Children need to be in an age/weight appropriate car seat.

Unfortunately buses and public transport do not provide such a system.
But even in our please remember that seatbelts carry a risk of significant injury for children.
Old 25th October 2011, 17:15   #9614
Distinguished - BHPian

Children should never travel in a car without being properly restrained --- and that does not include an adult's arm.

But what can we say? When (here at least; it is not enforced at all) the majority of adults do not consider seatbelts, or the reasons for them, how likely are they to think of the children?
Old 25th October 2011, 20:05   #9615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Children should never travel in a car without being properly restrained --- and that does not include an adult's arm.

But what can we say? When (here at least; it is not enforced at all) the majority of adults do not consider seatbelts, or the reasons for them, how likely are they to think of the children?
+1 to that. I have seen people (Parents) encourage 2 kids on the front seat (In many 10+ lakh vehicles), wrestling each other and causing distraction. When educated parents do this, i have no comments on not-so-educated parents.

Oh yes !! did i forget to mention that the kids on the front seat where not wearing seat belts.

Most Viewed