Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2011, 00:10   #9706
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Any more news about this accident, perhaps from someone around that area?

21-yr-old woman crashes into 3 autos, 7 pedestrians
This accident like all other accidents is very unfortunate as innocent people get affected due to someone's mistake .

But how ridiculous are our traffic laws . If 2 vehicles crash ,the driver of the more expensive vehicle is booked for rash and negligient driving .If 2 vehicles crash ,then driver of the larger vehicle is booked for rash and negligient driving .and if its just one vehicle involved in an accident ,then the driver of this vehicle is booked for ....

How the heck does our law know before investigations that this was a case of RASH and NEGLIGIENT driving
Old 10th November 2011, 08:21   #9707
BHPian

saw an accident today morning on Mysore road.One trailor (hopefully on the way to Toyota plant),crossed over the median blocking the entire opposite road. Just after this, saw an Indica with a damaged bonnet.Mysore road is blocked one way and hence expect some jams till the vehicles are cleared. The accident location is just after Kumbalagodu junction
Old 10th November 2011, 10:43   #9708
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
How the heck does our law know before investigations that this was a case of RASH and NEGLIGIENT driving
And if you have a BMW, you are always at fault.
Old 10th November 2011, 11:43   #9709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Then isn't being on the road where there are thousand's of other drivers, who could be in any of the condition you mentioned, also risky? I think if you consider physics the bus will win most battles (i.e. chances of surviving in a bus are far more).
Oh, my bad! I think you got me completely wrong. I wasn't talking about the maniacs on the road (that way even walking would be dangerous), but the potentially demented personality you may have in the driver's seat.

As per the physics, yes, agreed that the bus is stronger but in case of a potentially demented personality being at the drivers seat causing a crash, every 3rd or 4th person, no matter how strong or nimble, is sure to be charred to ashes in the modern buses. I've personally seen and once tried helping out victims of a bus crash on the traditional Mumbai-Goa route NH17. You have just 30 to 40 seconds to get out of the fiber bodied bus which catches fire as fast as a silk sari. And they achieve really high temperatures very quickly. It is impossible to get near the bus till it's cabin is completely burned down even to assist any escape or fling water on it. With only one door and a camouflaged emergency exit, I don't want to delve into the dynamics of the escape pattern in such a chaos.

The train and airplane are statistically safer but boring and hard bound by schedules and routines. And besides... they need to be that strong at that speed.

I hope I've cleared a lot of cobwebs off my earlier post.
Old 10th November 2011, 12:10   #9710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This accident like all other accidents is very unfortunate as innocent people get affected due to someone's mistake .

But how ridiculous are our traffic laws . If 2 vehicles crash ,the driver of the more expensive vehicle is booked for rash and negligient driving .If 2 vehicles crash ,then driver of the larger vehicle is booked for rash and negligient driving .and if its just one vehicle involved in an accident ,then the driver of this vehicle is booked for ....

there is a saying in Malayalam which goes like if the leaf falls on the thorn or the thorn falls on the leaf, it is always the thorn that is to blame..
Old 10th November 2011, 14:35   #9711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sav View Post
With only one door and a camouflaged emergency exit, I don't want to delve into the dynamics of the escape pattern in such a chaos.

So , the first thing that one should do whenever he/she enters a vehicle is spend 30 secs and check out the number of emergency exits in the bus /train .Instead of panicking in the event of an accident ,its better to be prepared in case there is a scope for surviving .

I strongly beleive that emergency exits should be marked on the floor and on the roof as well like in aircrafts .The buses that we see these days do have emergency exit windows ,but they are usuallly covered with curtains .Nor do we see any hammer to break open the windows .

So ,I do agree to some extent with whatever you say .But if there is a proper awareness and a law in place for operators to have some basic safety procedures in place ,I dont think a car no matter how many air bags it has will match the safety and comfort of a modern bus .

But yeah ,people like us will always drive...no matter how bulletproof a bus is
Old 10th November 2011, 15:09   #9712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
Saw this Passat at the VW workshop. Victim of a pile-up. Minor damage on front end but the rear is smashed! Looks like it managed to stop in time but probably a ST bus rammed into it from behind (Could see red and yellow paint from another vehicle on the rear) which led to the passat hitting the vehicle in front. Was not allowed to take more pics.
*Note the intact passenger cabin.

Wow, so its not repaired yet. Many of us saw this car on the day it happened, ie, 26th August.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-rants-15.html

Heres what I had observed then :

Quote:
What happened was, the Swift went under a white Wipro bus , they were still trying to extricate it from under the Bus when I passed by. The Swift was also rear ended by a Silver VW Jetta (and not a Laura), causing considerable damage to the front of the VW. Unfortunately , a red colour Tata truck behind the Jetta also couldnt brake in time, and mashed it totally. The rear was a mess, while the truck driver was getting into the cabin when I passed by.

Resultant damage : Swift front end + a pillar damaged.
Jetta totalled.
Unharmed bus and truck.
Old 10th November 2011, 19:03   #9713
BHPian

Quote:
Excerpt from the news link.

"She was driving so fast that she first rammed her car into a tea stall, then into three rickshaws and eventually came to a stop after she crashed into the pavement," said an official from the Juhu police station."

-- Torqy
Old 10th November 2011, 19:12   #9714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Wow, so its not repaired yet. Many of us saw this car on the day it happened, ie, 26th August.

Heres what I had observed then :
Does that mean that the car has been put up for total damage claim under insurance? Else it should have been repaired by now. Looks like no one has even touched it.
Old 10th November 2011, 19:19   #9715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Does that mean that the car has been put up for total damage claim under insurance? Else it should have been repaired by now. Looks like no one has even touched it.
It may not appear so in the pics, but there was much more damage to the rest of the car , while the passenger shell appeared intact.
The boot, on that day, appeared to have totally crumpled upon impact, and not merely dented. I shudder to think what would have happened if it were to be a hatchback with rear seat occupants instead.
I will not be surprised if it was declared totaled.
Old 11th November 2011, 00:54   #9716
BHPian

Quote:
It may not appear so in the pics, but there was much more damage to the rest of the car , while the passenger shell appeared intact.
The boot, on that day, appeared to have totally crumpled upon impact, and not merely dented. I shudder to think what would have happened if it were to be a hatchback with rear seat occupants instead.
I will not be surprised if it was declared totaled.
Quote:

That was bad. More than 2 months now and the car is still lying. Either it is totaled or the owner hasn't given the approval forrepairs. But I think its totaled. The damage on the front wasn't a major one. All the panels, bumper, grill etc were dislocated and dented, but the chassis seemed to be OK. The sructural integrity wasn't affected.
Old 11th November 2011, 10:07   #9717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Excerpt from the news link.

"She was driving so fast that she first rammed her car into a tea stall, then into three rickshaws and eventually came to a stop after she crashed into the pavement," said an official from the Juhu police station."

-- Torqy
First of all ,I am not talking about this incident .And I would never go with these news reports .The first thing that they always report is Rash and Negligent driving .Dunno how many of these journalists have ever driven a vehicle .

BTW ,fast is not always rash and negligent .An idiot driving at 60kph on the rightmost lane on a road with an empty left lane should also qualify as negligence ...we can go on and on
Old 11th November 2011, 10:35   #9718
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if this accident has been reported here.

News courtesy: Pune Mirror

Rash driving claimed the lives of two engineers late on Wednesday night. According to Pimpri police, the youths were killed on the spot when their speeding car crashed into a tree near Jaihind Collection near Empire Estate Building in Pimpri. Police officials claim the duo was under the influence of liqour at the time of the accident. The deceased have been identified as Franc John Manohar (22), a resident of Eden Garden in Akurdi, and Shivnarayan (24), a resident of Talawade. “Both of them were engineers by profession who worked at Icon Technologies at Talawade,” Investigation Officer V D Dalvi said. On their way to Pune from Chinchwad, the duo was supposedly driving at full speed when Franc, who was at the wheel, lost control of the vehicle and crashed the Maruti Suzuki SX4 into a tree. The impact of the crash was such that the car was split into two pieces, crushing the victims. Police said that the bodies had to be wrenched out of the vehicle after they were stuck inside due to the impact. The speeding car first collided with a divider on the highway which caused a flat tyre that led to the crash. The vehicle was air-borne for a few seconds before it crashed, killing both of them on the spot. Dalvi said that the police had to cut the car into two halves to pull out the bodies which were badly mutilated. He further said that youth belonged to well-to-do families and the father of one of the victims owns two factories in Talawade. “The two dined at a hotel and had consumed liquor. A bill has been recovered,” Dalvi said.

Below can be seen the mangled remains of the Maruti SX4 after it hit a tree on the old Pune-Mumbai highway on Wednesday

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident-sx4.jpg
Old 11th November 2011, 11:08   #9719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

Rash driving claimed the lives of two engineers late on Wednesday night. According to Pimpri police, the youths were killed on the spot when their speeding car crashed into a tree near Jaihind Collection near Empire Estate Building in Pimpri. Police officials claim the duo was under the influence of liqour at the time of the accident. The deceased have been identified as Franc John Manohar (22), a resident of Eden Garden in Akurdi, and Shivnarayan (24), a resident of Talawade. “Both of them were engineers by profession who worked at Icon Technologies at Talawade,” Investigation Officer V D Dalvi said. On their way to Pune from Chinchwad, the duo was supposedly driving at full speed when Franc, who was at the wheel, lost control of the vehicle and crashed the Maruti Suzuki SX4 into a tree. The impact of the crash was such that the car was split into two pieces, crushing the victims. Police said that the bodies had to be wrenched out of the vehicle after they were stuck inside due to the impact. The speeding car first collided with a divider on the highway which caused a flat tyre that led to the crash. The vehicle was air-borne for a few seconds before it crashed, killing both of them on the spot. Dalvi said that the police had to cut the car into two halves to pull out the bodies which were badly mutilated. He further said that youth belonged to well-to-do families and the father of one of the victims owns two factories in Talawade. “The two dined at a hotel and had consumed liquor. A bill has been recovered,” Dalvi said.

Below can be seen the mangled remains of the Maruti SX4 after it hit a tree on the old Pune-Mumbai highway on Wednesday

Such a tragic end to young lives, i wonder at what speeds they were driving to do that to a car like SX4.
Old 11th November 2011, 11:29   #9720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

Rash driving claimed the lives of two engineers late on Wednesday night. “The two dined at a hotel and had consumed liquor. A bill has been recovered,” Dalvi said.
Another case of drunken driving claiming lives.PLEASE NEVER MIX DRIVING AND DRINKING

Most Viewed