Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 10:29   #9826
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjimso View Post
Noopster - an explanation would be much appreciated, how would an apology suffice to what has happened.
I didn't get that. An apology must surely rate higher than an explanation because the former is an admission that something went wrong? No updates from Mark after that- hoping he found some peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

I am totally opposite. I NEVER help anyone unknown however critical the situation maybe. If i see an accident i dont even bother to look. I just keep driving and if its a common vehicle like office bus / cab, i protest if the driver steps to offers help. Well ! Thats me !!. I am paranoid.
Strange as it sounds, that is actually not such a bad thing. However, if you MUST stop, please ensure that you follow through and help the person in need. I think it's a law in some states of the US. The reasoning is: if someone who genuinely wants to help sees somebody already stopping they may assume help is assured and move on.
Old 30th November 2011, 12:18   #9827
Senior - BHPian

52 injured in bus accident in Kollam

The Hindu : States / Kerala : 52 injured in bus accident in Kollam

Quote:
More than 52 persons were injured when a Thiruvananthapuram-bound KSRTC fast passenger bus lost control and crashed into a shopping complex near the Taluk Office junction here on Wednesday morning. The injured have been admitted to the nearby district hospital.
No idea who was the real cause of the accident but the pray for the tea shop owner to recover soon.
Old 30th November 2011, 14:55   #9828
BHPian

Unprofessional if not Funny.

Old 30th November 2011, 16:15   #9829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post

No idea who was the real cause of the accident but the pray for the tea shop owner to recover soon.
By Logic it is the KSRTC Bus driver who is responsible. It is expected to maintain a safe braking distance from the vehicle in front while driving as per the Indian motor vehicles act. Even if the vehicle in front brakes suddenly and some vehicle hits from behind, It is the fault of the vehicle that hit.

KSRTC bus should have kept safe distance and maintained a reasonable braking distance w.r.t to the bus at front.

Adding to the above, The driver must have tried to steer away, which would have caused the bus to swever and hit the tea stall. I am sure the bus does not have EBD/ABS so turning the steering wheel while braking caused the bus to lose control and hit the tea shop.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 30th November 2011 at 16:18.
Old 30th November 2011, 16:18   #9830
BHPian

Quote:
By Logic it is the KSRTC Bus driver who is responsible. It is expected to maintain a safe braking distance from the vehicle in front while driving as per the Indian motor vehicles act. Even if the vehicle in front brakes suddenly and some vehicle hits from behind, It is the fault of the vehicle that hit.

KSRTC bus should have kept safe distance and maintained a reasonable braking distance w.r.t to the bus at front.
...and we drive bumper to bumper in Bangalore. If we keep that safe distance and drive here, none of us would ever reach our office.

No pun intended ...
Old 30th November 2011, 16:27   #9831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
...and we drive bumper to bumper in Bangalore. If we keep that safe distance and drive here, none of us would ever reach our office.

No pun intended ...
Agreed. Even in chennai and mumbai its the same case. But as per the rules we are expected to follow this, but no one follows it (Me included) is another discussion.

At least in the highway, we are expected to keep 3 vehicle distance w.r.t the vehicle at front. Well, as long as nothing happens we are the hero, but as soon as something happens,everyone including police would say why the safe distance was not kept. No one would buy the logic if it is said no vehicle keeps safe distance.

A live example happened to me. At 5:30 am i stopped at a traffic light(was red) at Chrompet in chennai. A bolero pikup truck hit me at around 60/80kmph. The police asked the bolero why he did not stop at the red light. He said no one stops at the red light. Police did not buy the logic and arrested the bolero driver. The case was in my favour since i followed the traffic rule by stopping at the red signal.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 16:53   #9832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I didn't get that. An apology must surely rate higher than an explanation because the former is an admission that something went wrong? No updates from Mark after that- hoping he found some peace.
Explanation - a clarification of disputed terms or points; reconciliation

Apology - a written or spoken expression of one's regret, remorse, or sorrow for having insulted, failed, injured, or wronged another:

this is the closest meaning i could get for both explanation and apology as far as this incident is concerned - a clarification would help understand what exactly failed and why and an apology to be accepted or not is another part of the story..
Old 1st December 2011, 02:57   #9833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post

The Hindu : States / Kerala : 52 injured in bus accident in Kollam

Really sad incident. The tea stall guy, Harison, is really unfortunate as are the passengers from the bus.

And how often have we seen the callousness of auto rickshaws being the cause of accidents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
Unprofessional if not Funny.

Funny ace crane accident - YouTube
Yeah, funny it was and I guess it has been posted before in this thread. Anyway, no offence but as some other BHPian has said, this thread rather concentrate on accidents that we have witnessed and not videos from other sites.
Dr.Sav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 18:54   #9834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The case was in my favour since i followed the traffic rule by stopping at the red signal.
You definitely did the right thing by stopping at a red light ,but one should always check the RVM first .Most idiots dont stop at red lights in the mornings or late nights ,so if you happen to see a vehicle close to you ,you can either warn the driver by pumping your brake pedal .
I always check the RVM in such situations and I do slow down ,but have myself not stopped on a couple of ocassions when I sensed the driver behind me is too fast to stop .

If I stop with other vehicles at a distance ,I sometimes switch on the hazard lights to let these idiots know that I have stopped .I might win the case if someone bangs into me ,but why take chances .
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 08:25   #9835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
If I stop with other vehicles at a distance ,I sometimes switch on the hazard lights to let these idiots know that I have stopped .I might win the case if someone bangs into me ,but why take chances .
A very useful tip, regarding using hazard lights . I find myself in this situation very often early in the mornings at 6.30 am, as I work in the morning shift.

Also, I always choose to come to a stop at the left lane while reaching the traffic signal junctions, and the guys in a hurry keep zooming past me from the right, without disturbing my peace of mind
Old 3rd December 2011, 09:00   #9836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
I always check the RVM in such situations and I do slow down ,but have myself not stopped on a couple of ocassions when I sensed the driver behind me is too fast to stop .
I did that once on Infantry road to avoid two speeding bikers getting plastered on the rear. Was promptly stopped by the cops for jumping the lights.
Old 3rd December 2011, 09:36   #9837
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
A very useful tip, regarding using hazard lights . I find myself in this situation very often early in the mornings at 6.30 am, as I work in the morning shift.

Also, I always choose to come to a stop at the left lane while reaching the traffic signal junctions, and the guys in a hurry keep zooming past me from the right, without disturbing my peace of mind
+1 to that. In case of faster than average braking and slowing down, even I do put on hazard lights so that the car behind me gets that much more time to react.

Also I always keep an eye on the IRVM when I stop at a signal. Just last week, I had stopped at a signal and was watching a truck approach at a faster than normal speed in the rear view mirror. The gut feeling said that this guy is going to struggle to come to an halt and I was mentally prepared to floor the accelerator if his speed and orientation continues. Saw him jam the brakes and lock the front wheels before coming to an halt 5 feet from the rear of my car.
Old 3rd December 2011, 23:45   #9838
BHPian

This truck rammed a pile of rubble which came out of the road work. It happened a few days ago near Dange chowk, Pune.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc08120res.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc08122res.jpg  

Old 4th December 2011, 01:03   #9839
BHPian

Today we were 3 travelling in my Optra, it was 9pm in the night i took a new route in the night, it was a new highway kind of road laid recently, i had been in that road before. I was accelerating around 70+ when i saw a bumper, previously there was no bumper on that road. i slammed the brakes, but the car slowed down, but not to an extent that it could stop before the speed bump. i hit that bump i think @ 40 + speeds, thankfully nothing happened and my car went going as normal.

But this was an eye opener for me, i learnt few things from this.

1. Never take unknown roads in night, and if you take drive slow even if there is no traffic. What would have happened if that was not a speed bump but a man or a dog!
2. Never estimate your cars brake act the same as when you drive alone, with 3 people on board the car was struggling to slow down, my car does not have ABS.
3. My Optra brakes needs to be checked, dont know whats the problem, i have never faced any emergency braking sothe brakes feel fine when i alone drive.
4. If you are in chennai, i am talking about the highway which connects Airport to Velachery.
5. And i forgot to say, the bumper had faded reflective paint and no reflectors on it. Neither there are streetlights and after i hit the first one there were couple of more like that. That's India, roads are the main reasons for most of the accidents happening at night!
Old 4th December 2011, 09:15   #9840
BHPian

How many of you noticed this on the way back from the Buddh International Circuit? Please excuse the clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-28102011081.jpg  

Most Viewed