Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2012, 21:47   #10051
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
Saw this on TOI Bangalore. If this could happen on a scorpio.......
Sorry about the poor quality pic. Snapped it from the newspaper.
From the pic it looks like seatbelts could have saved the day. From the faint idea i get from the picture, the driver seat is almost intact and seatbelt would have help him to hang on to the seat during the crash. Also from the alloys it "appears" (not sure) to be a top end model with Airbags. Seat belt + airbag should have saved the life at the very least.

Completely surprising thing is there is no visible road behind the SUV, so not sure how he ended-up at this place.
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:06   #10052
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
From the pic it looks like seatbelts could have saved the day. From the faint idea i get from the picture, the driver seat is almost intact and seatbelt would have help him to hang on to the seat during the crash. Also from the alloys it "appears" (not sure) to be a top end model with Airbags. Seat belt + airbag should have saved the life at the very least.

Completely surprising thing is there is no visible road behind the SUV, so not sure how he ended-up at this place.
ScorpioBharath,

It says in the caption of the picture in the newspaper, that the accident claimed three lives. So I don't think seat-belts saved anyone that day. Probably because it wasn't worn in the first place. Very sad.
Old 3rd January 2012, 22:16   #10053
BHPian

Quote:
Police says driver fatigue, but hard to believe.
Here is the full news
Name:  toi_blr_20110103_accident_mysore.png
Views: 5453
Size:  149.1 KB
Old 3rd January 2012, 23:15   #10054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
ScorpioBharath,

It says in the caption of the picture in the newspaper, that the accident claimed three lives. So I don't think seat-belts saved anyone that day. Probably because it wasn't worn in the first place. Very sad.
right - i was telling that if seat belts were worn, it could have saved the day for them. The second quote suggests that there is a regional manager of Hero motocorp. At least he is in the "private transport" industry and should be well educated about seat belts.
Old 4th January 2012, 00:00   #10055
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
right - i was telling that if seat belts were worn, it could have saved the day for them.
Oops sorry, my bad. Didn't notice the 'would have' bit.

Quote:
The second quote suggests that there is a regional manager of Hero motocorp. At least he is in the "private transport" industry and should be well educated about seat belts.
Well, he should be well-educated and everything, especially about his own safety. But I see well-educated people everyday, literally challenging the need for seat-belts and the like. It's rather unfortunate.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 00:13   #10056
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
This happened in Ambala(Haryana) yesterday,probably due to heavy fog.
11 children aged between 5-8 years lost their lives
Accidents never happen due to fog: they happen due to inappropriate driving in the fog.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 14:30   #10057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Accidents never happen due to fog: they happen due to inappropriate driving in the fog.
I agree,but fog increases the chances to crash due to inappropriate driving.
Old 4th January 2012, 15:16   #10058
Distinguished - BHPian

It does indeed, and not just in India.

By the way, and offtopic by thousands of kilometers: a forty-one car pile up in America in a sudden snowstorm.
Old 4th January 2012, 15:34   #10059
BHPian

Read in todays Malayala Manorama, about a Priest who survived a direct collission with a train in Kerala. The car was broken into 2 pieces. He had a seat belt on, and had minor injuries.

Manorama Online | Malayalam News | Latest News |
Old 4th January 2012, 16:55   #10060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Read in todays Malayala Manorama, about a Priest who survived a direct collission with a train in Kerala. The car was broken into 2 pieces. He had a seat belt on, and had minor injuries.

Manorama Online | Malayalam News | Latest News |
Glad that there was no loss of lives, and it's heartening to know that the driver was wearing the seatbelt.

Maybe because it's a vicar, the otherwise eloquent newspaper doesn't put the blame on the driver for driving through the level cross without checking for an oncoming train. IMO, it's stupidity and some level of arrogance (that "nothing's going to happen to me" attitude) that has resulted in this accident.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:28   #10061
Senior - BHPian

One of my co - worker passed away yesterday early morning. His bike rammed in to the back of a truck which was parked on Aleppy - Trivandrum road.

It was around 5.45 Am when he started on his black unicorn from Aleppy to Technopark Trivandrum , to join for work after x mas vaccations. He was also wearing a helmet but it didn't help.

Details

Let his soul RIP
Old 4th January 2012, 22:12   #10062
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
One of my co - worker passed away yesterday early morning. His bike rammed in to the back of a truck which was parked on Aleppy - Trivandrum road.

It was around 5.45 Am when he started on his black unicorn from Aleppy to Technopark Trivandrum , to join for work after x mas vaccations. He was also wearing a helmet but it didn't help.

Details

Let his soul RIP
That's sad. Ever noticed that the real impact of an accident is felt only when it happens to someone you know?

A friend lost his parents in a car accident a few months back. Nobody wears seat belts on the back seat. Now I am slowly getting my family to develop that habit.
Old 4th January 2012, 22:34   #10063
Senior - BHPian

The truckers stop as they please on the road without proper lights or good reflectors and add to it the hi-beam menace of on coming vehicles. It is high time that both these types of drivers are booked.
Old 5th January 2012, 10:20   #10064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed
Maybe because it's a vicar, the otherwise eloquent newspaper doesn't put the blame on the driver for driving through the level cross without checking for an oncoming train.
Don't know about other places, but in Kerala, even at manned rail-crossings, it is in your own interest to look both sides before crossing the tracks. Numerous instances of the gate being open, even when a train is to pass by, couple of them experienced by wifey while travelling in private bus. I experience this once last month. I am driving to Kayankulam and just as I am about to cross the track (manned crossing with gate open), the driver of a WagonR coming from opposite side says something to me, which I cannot hear since the windows are up. Anyway, I can sense something is amiss and as I cautiously cross the tracks, I can see a train chugging in slowly at a distance.
Old 5th January 2012, 11:06   #10065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Don't know about other places, but in Kerala, even at manned rail-crossings, it is in your own interest to look both sides before crossing the tracks...
This reinforces what I said. I was in Chengannur for 4 years, and I've travelled in and around the place quite extensively. What you mentioned about the Kayamkulam level cross is right, and each time the bus I'm in crosses a level cross, I pray that there isn't a train coming along at that instant.

The fact is, despite seeing many people losing their lives or getting maimed, most drivers do not exercise caution while going through level crossings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks