Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 15:07   #10126
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Saw an accident Near Chrompet Bridge(Chennai) yesterday night around 10.15 P.M in which a Indica cab and a lorry was involved. The accident seemed to be happened jus a few mins before I crossed the spot. I was not able to take snaps as my mobile battery was running low. Whati I'm wondering is about the position of the vehicles. The Truck was in correct direction.i.e, along the direction of the road in the right most lane.But the cab was perpendicular to the direction of the road and there is no road intersection in that particular stretch. Attaching a rough diagram for illustration purpose.
Attached Images

Old 12th January 2012, 15:29   #10127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Guys - mods - time for a new thread/discussion on airbags!!

How can there be so many incidents of a merc-s class, 1 fortuner, 1 scorpio (looks fully loaded with Airbags), 1 montero above - all totalled with no air bags deployed!! Is this a new trend!! Or does automobile makers needs to rethink the sensor positioning at least for Indian markets!
Quite possible that the Scorpio occupants were not wearing seatbelts. Look at the blood on the roof. I don't think someone wearing a seatbelt would have to suffer so much. But from Anand123's post, Montero bloke had his seatbelts on:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
This Montero had a bad fall. Fortunately, the driver was wearing seatbelt and suffered only a minor injury.
About the Fortuner, I think someone mentioned in that thread that the culprit could be bullbar, which not only masks the sensors, but also transfers the force of impact directly to the chassis.
Old 12th January 2012, 15:38   #10128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
huge draw backs of SUVs in terms of safety:

Cars are more safer then the SUVs in both of these situations but those can't handle collisions with "Indian trucks".
The problem is not that SUVs are unsafe. Yes, they have limitations. On Highways, SUVs are safer than sedans if you drive within limits. The real problem is when people drive SUVs like a Sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
One probable reason might be: No seat belts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Quite possible that the Scorpio occupants were not wearing seatbelts.
In total agreement. I doubt these guys were wearing seat belt and i am sure they must be driving very fast in hilly terrain. I have seen many cases when Scorpio/Xylo has turned turtle and occupants have got up unscathed because they were wearing seat belts.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 18:23   #10129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
The problem is not that SUVs are unsafe. Yes, they have limitations. On Highways, SUVs are safer than sedans if you drive within limits. The real problem is when people drive SUVs like a Sedan.
I agree that real problem is when people drive SUVs like a sedan but one thing to be noted is that purpose of "most" SUV users is to use their vehicle on highways or cities where any other decent car serves better then SUV but they buy a SUV just for macho image. Story doesn't stop here, "many" of them start thinking themselves as a macho-man and start driving the SUV in that way.

No offence to any SUV user in the community, my thoughts are just for those people who don't really understand the pros and con of SUVs and buy SUVs for the image rather than its usability.

One frustrating thing is that we don't have safer SUVs with international safety standards in India below Rs. 20-25 lakh price range, whether there are plenty of safe sedans or hatchbacks available below that price range.

Do't know when the Indian manufacturers will understand importance of safety. Scorpio fails terribly in American vehicle crash tests and Tata launched the new Safari with cosmetic exterior/interior changes but that Safari is still a body on chassis construction which is never tested for crashes. I have seen many crashed Safari, Bolero, Scorpio etc. I found terribly deformed structure of these vehicles, seats and dashboards were crushed, pillars were deformed very badly.

I just want to point-out that why many people put their money to buy a SUV just for image sake.
Old 12th January 2012, 18:46   #10130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
there was a one helluva traffic jam this morning on the IRR and i think i know the reason why.

anyone have more information on this?
I think I do. Just a little. As one of the vehicles causing the accident was my company cab. Since I do not use the company cab, I cannot specify the details as to how it exactly happened. But, my company cab had a role to play since the brakes failed and rammed into the i20, from what I hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I agree that real problem is when people drive SUVs like a sedan

Do't know when the Indian manufacturers will understand importance of safety.
I agree with the first half, but not ENTIRELY with the second. No personal attacks here.

I guess it's more to do with the foolishness taking over the brain: the more the monies one spends one's ride, the more safe it is to execute one's stupidity on the road. HOWEVER, there are some rules of physics that are undefyable. And the sooner one realizes that, the better.

So, agreed that the Indian manufacturer might not be fully compliant with worldwide standards, but there's one more BIG question that's really out of the control of the Indian manufacturer, "Are Indian road conditions upto worldwide standards?". The answer is DEFINITELY a NO. So, the Indian driver needs to develop the sense to adjust his driving accordingly.
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 19:02   #10131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
In a horrific accident that occurred in the city at around 12.30 am on Wednesday January 11, one person lost his life and eight others sustained injuries.

Mangalore: Scorpio Turns Turtle – One Dies, Several Injured

Tyre burst (a flat rear tyre can be seen in the pic) is being quoted as the reason for the toppling, in the discussion in the above link.

Inflating the tyre to the correct tyre pressure, especially when 9 people are loaded into the these vehicles, is of utmost importance, as indicated in so many TBHP threads. And seat belts fastened for all occupants, as being recommended above.
Old 12th January 2012, 19:54   #10132
BHPian

Okay heres what i think of the scorpio crash! The tyre didnt burst but the mag got bent when the car flipped over and hit something hard. The damage to the tyre was caused when the car was rolled to the side.

This point has a fork where one road is concrete and the other tar. Between the fork is a lot of mud and gravel that often finds its way onto the road. Another thing to note is that the concrete road has a 8-10inch drop off the sides.

The car, fully loaded and speeding probably took the curve before the fork too quickly, hit the gravel, skidded, fell off the side and flipped a coupla times.

The Airbags didnt deploy as it wasnt a frontal hit!

Alstonlobo, you must've seen this on the way to work, right?

Cheers!
Old 12th January 2012, 22:46   #10133
BHPian

Accident near bellandur lake

Spotted this last month in Bellandur lake nearby my home

Any idea which car ?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20111208_06.58.45.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20111208_07.01.29.jpg  

Old 13th January 2012, 00:50   #10134
BHPian

Re: Accident near bellandur lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post

Any idea which car ?
Guessing it to be an Alto from the look of the C-pillar and Tail lamp.

On SUV's, like most people observed, they offer better safety, but anything need to be driven properly. Even the supposedly safe vehicles (Rally Cars) with 5 point seatbelt, Roll cage etc can still have a dead driver in case of a really nasty crash. Princess Di is a classic example of a Supersafe car, being driven in a super bad way.

It is better to drive at 5kmph less and reach a destination 500 kms away a few minutes late.
Old 14th January 2012, 01:36   #10135
BHPian

Re: Accident near bellandur lake

Quote:

Any idea which car ?
Thats an alto.

I saw a crowd around an auto and the driver lying on the ground in OMR, Chennai. Any one else has seen this or got any details?

I somehow feel that these guys get in to trouble mostly because of their own mistakes on the road and don't feel pity for them either.
Old 14th January 2012, 15:52   #10136
BHPian

13-Dec-2010
My 8 hours 'old' car (took delivery sameday in the morning) met with an accident. I was trailing a tractor driven water tank in a narrow uphill road at dusk. The tractor suddenly stopped (no tail lights, as usual) and then rolled back and hit my car. I was too taken aback with this incident; stopped my car to check the damage; by then tractor fled in a dark lane. Needed to replace bonnet, fender, left fog lamp. Total damage Rs. 21K. My family did not want to claim insurance on the first day itself (according to family members, this is very bad omen) and I had to pay the entire amount from my pocket. :-(
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0297_nonumber.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0296_nonumber.jpg  

Old 14th January 2012, 18:53   #10137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
13-Dec-2010
My 8 hours 'old' car (took delivery sameday in the morning) met with an accident. I was trailing a tractor driven water tank in a narrow uphill road at
Thats extremely sad ankan , i dont think there is anything much you could have done in this scenario. From next time, just try to maintain some distance from idiots like these so even if they start rolling back or stall, you can do something quick.

Dont let this hamper your spirits, maruti workshops are one of the best and they would return it to factory finish, wish you all the best with your Ritz.

Accidents are a part of life and we cant avoid them, its just that this happening on the first day is really bad luck, dont think too much about it and hang some "nimbu mirchi" to save from buri nazar
Old 14th January 2012, 19:45   #10138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
Hate to inform you of yet another horrific accident on the bombay-Pune Expressway on the 9th near Khopoli.

My team member returning from Nagar after a funeral with his father, had a tyre burst and his i10 turtled 3 times before falling 15 feet down. The father died last night after severe head injuries. The friend is in Jupiter in a very serious state due to severe lower spinal cord crushing damage. Docs have said that the best possible case would be that he will be able to turn himself hip above but below the hip, no control or sensitivity. Will lead a paraplegic life. To add to the misery of the family, his wife of 3 years is expecting his first child in 1 month!

Guys, please drive safe. Even with seatbelts, safety is important.
Sad incident. May god give strength to your friends family.

Are tubeless tyres too vulnerable to these kind of incidents ?

Quote:
13-Dec-2010
My 8 hours 'old' car (took delivery sameday in the morning) met with an accident. I was trailing a tractor driven water tank in a narrow uphill road at dusk. The tractor suddenly stopped (no tail lights, as usual) and then rolled back and hit my car. I was too taken aback with this incident; stopped my car to check the damage; by then tractor fled in a dark lane.
Bad luck bro.
I too learnt my lesson last year, I was following this M800 slowly in a parking complex, slowly upwards, all of sudden this guy stops and cannot pick it up cleanly and started rolling back, I too rolled back to avoid him and a honda activa guy hit me from the back, my first scratch. Since then I avoid following vehicles closely on inclines, I at least maintain 1/2 car length distance ever since.

Last edited by F150 : 14th January 2012 at 19:54.
Old 15th January 2012, 12:17   #10139
BHPian

This happened in 2006, one of our family friends daughter lost her life in the accident, while her parents were in London. Very sad indeed. Can anyone identify the car from the link

http://www.hindu.com/2006/02/07/stor...0719970300.htm

Quote:
13-Dec-2010
My 8 hours 'old' car (took delivery sameday in the morning) met with an accident. I was trailing a tractor driven water tank in a narrow uphill road at dusk. The tractor suddenly stopped (no tail lights, as usual) and then rolled back and hit my car. I was too taken aback with this incident; stopped my car to check the damage; by then tractor fled in a dark lane. Needed to replace bonnet, fender, left fog lamp. Total damage Rs. 21K. My family did not want to claim insurance on the first day itself (according to family members, this is very bad omen) and I had to pay the entire amount from my pocket. :-(
This is dammm sad, i understand the feeling you have gone through, by the way did you see any good time/bad time to receive the car while taking delivery of it?
Usually in the south people see and leave in times apart from rahugalam and yamakandam.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th January 2012 at 18:57. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 15th January 2012, 12:57   #10140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
This is dammm sad, i understand the feeling you have gone through, by the way did you see any good time/bad time to receive the car while taking delivery of it?
Usually in the south people see and leave in times apart from rahugalam and yamakandam.
No Krish, I do not believe in any such good or bad timings ; got a call from the dealer (Pratham Motors , ORR, Blr) previous that car is ready to hadover. Went there following day and picked it up.

OT: I don't know if the following experince has occurred to you too. This is my first car, I do not have any previous experince in car ownership or driving. Salesman from Pratham motors, ORR, Blr was very well behaved during the test drive, negotiation and waiting period of 3 months. On the day of car delivery, I was told from the dealer that my designated sale-sperson and most of his coleagues are on a promotional drive in another part of the city. So there was no body in the showroom to show me eatures of the car. Paperwork was done in 20 minutes in the finance dept. and I was handed over the car to drive home. All in all, process completed in 30 minutes. Is this how the system works? Should I have waited for another day when sales person was available and receive instructions about the car?

Most Viewed