Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2012, 19:52   #10171
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
God..this is the same apartment complex (Powai) where my OHC VTEC was ruined in June-10! I'd parked it on the back side of the complex which is beside a small hillock. A concrete block (god knows from where) fell over the car ruining it completely. Looking at the pictures brought back memories of that fateful day.

Glad that no one got injured in this case.

Mods: Please excuse me if this is OT.
So this was yours. Man, what a bad sight it was, the OHC was flattened. Nature protests. But should have atleast talked to somebody before parking it there. Nobody used to park it here nor anybody used to take walks this side due to the same surprise free-falls.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-08062010143.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-08062010144.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-08062010142.jpg
Old 18th January 2012, 22:50   #10172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
So this was yours. Man, what a bad sight it was, the OHC was flattened. Nature protests. But should have atleast talked to somebody before parking it there. Nobody used to park it here nor anybody used to take walks this side due to the same surprise free-falls.
@parsh: Yes, it was mine! It'd only been a few months after I got it from GTO. Had to park it there as I was moving to Hyderabad and couldn't drive it down then. Since the transfer process was also pending I parked it there as a close friend of mine lives in the building. Believe it or not, when I came there on the last day, I'd indeed parked it on the front side, but moved it again to the back after I saw some cars there and it looked a bit more secluded! Parked it there, covered it and then informed the security as well, as it was only for a few days before I was supposed to drive it down to Hyd.
Alas......!!

Linky: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ar-friend.html

Sorry to have penned down the whole story again, but looking at those snaps brought back all the memories!
Old 18th January 2012, 23:59   #10173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
@parsh: Yes, it was mine! It'd only been a few months after I got it from GTO. Had to park it there as I was moving to Hyderabad and couldn't drive it down then. Since the transfer process was also pending I parked it there as a close friend of mine lives in the building. Believe it or not, when I came there on the last day, I'd indeed parked it on the front side, but moved it again to the back after I saw some cars there and it looked a bit more secluded! Parked it there, covered it and then informed the security as well, as it was only for a few days before I was supposed to drive it down to Hyd.
Alas......!!

Linky: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ar-friend.html

Sorry to have penned down the whole story again, but looking at those snaps brought back all the memories!
Sorry Mods. A little OT here. But deeply sympathise with you Avinash because I know what was the condition with the huge stone fallen into it, we heard a huge bomb blast sound and went out to find only this and OHCs are close to my heart and it felt really bad to see one wasted like that. Just now saw GTO's thread too. Did not know it was GTOs. It was a nightmare when I saw it and could snap it with my mobile only. We tried searching the owner for a couple of days, sending the watchmen scouting for people but in vain and I think after more than a day a girl came up from neighboring building enquiring about it, quite distraught. Alas, a fab car put to rest. Hope you moved on to another good ride.

Last edited by parsh : 19th January 2012 at 00:01.
Old 19th January 2012, 00:45   #10174
Senior - BHPian

In case of a tyre burst the tubeless tire would go flat instantaneously. However in case of a puncture the loss of air from the tubeless tire is gradual. In a tube tire combination the deflation is immediate in both scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I am trying to understand, if there is a tyre burst, tubeless tyres wont die immediately right ? One should still have time to come to a halt ?
Old 19th January 2012, 02:00   #10175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
In case of a tyre burst the tubeless tire would go flat instantaneously. However in case of a puncture the loss of air from the tubeless tire is gradual. In a tube tire combination the deflation is immediate in both scenarios.
I hit a stone on top of a flyover (a gift from the commonwealth games construction trucks) and the tubeless tyre took a deep cut. I was doing around 40 kph but the tyre took almost a kilometre to deflate. So I could safely pull over to the side and change the tyre.

A burst is of course, totally different. One can only try and watch out for bulges / cuts (I must admit I am not very diligent with my inspection) and keep right pressure and keep the age and 'V' or 'S' rating of the tyre in mind. On long trips (in summer) I would also touch the tyres to see if one of them was heating up more than the others!
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 06:27   #10176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj
OMG, this is starting to get scary. When would a tire burst happen ? Only when we hit some thing sharp right ? Maintaining high pressure could also be one of the reasons. Any other ?
What would have caused the tire best in the above mentioned accident ?

Last edited by F150 : 19th January 2012 at 06:30.
Old 19th January 2012, 08:04   #10177
BHPian

Quote:
OMG, this is starting to get scary. When would a tire burst happen ? Only when we hit some thing sharp right ? Maintaining high pressure could also be one of the reasons. Any other ?
When one goes for a deep discounted tires (expired ones), it is a recipe for disaster at high speeds. Next would be retreaded and bald tires, these again at high speeds. Touch wood ... I or my near and dear ones have not got into such unfortunate situations. But I generally change my tires after 50K kms or 4/5 years.
Old 19th January 2012, 10:12   #10178
BHPian

Wow, now you guys are scaring me. One of my rear tyres has a slight bulge....I think I need to get it checked. unfortunately the spare is one which had a puncture and so I dont have much of a choice. I was planning on changing the tyres after another 5-7k as these are still stock tyres. Now you guys have me worried.
Old 19th January 2012, 17:29   #10179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
That's really shocking that a modern tubeless tires can also burst and may cause that kind of damage.

I had been driving my car for more than a month with a punctured rear right tire, even I did two highway trips during that time with fully loaded car and did some starches at really very high speeds like 130-140 km/hr. I got to know about punctured tire becasue of my regular tire pressure checking habit and in three top-ups I noticed that rear right tire stayed between 12-18psi whenever I checked. Then I got replaced that tire with spare wheel and put the repaired tire in place of spare wheel.

Now it scares me that even modern tires can cause big damage and we can not rely on them.
I just confirmed with the guy, it was a tyre burst. Both he and his father were wearing seatbelts and its a relatively new i10 magna about a year old and it had tubeless tyres.

I also saw an earlier 2009 tbhp post about a Mahindra Xylo having a tubeless tyre burst in UP

Last edited by longford : 19th January 2012 at 17:31. Reason: More info added
longford is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 18:32   #10180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
In my experience, if the tyre has only a slight cut then the possibility of a tyre burst depends on the speed and the road surface immediately after the hit. If the cut has any more uneven impact on it at high speed, it is bound to be worse than landing on smooth tarmac at low speed. In the latter situation it may be possible to pull over if one is going at a reasonable (read controllable) speed

Quote:
Sharp is not really required. A blunt edge could also do the job as I found out on the airport road a few months ago. In fact the stone was more oval than having a blunt edge. I was only doing about 45, so had the wits to pull over once that maniac overspeeding Xylo driver overtook me from the left.
As for that incident mentioned above, it could be conjecture. Or a combination of multiple factors.
Old 19th January 2012, 18:49   #10181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
I just confirmed with the guy, it was a tyre burst. Both he and his father were wearing seatbelts and its a relatively new i10 magna about a year old and it had tubeless tyres.
Shocking indeed! But did you friend make sure he had checked for right tyre pressure. I mean if the tyre was under inflated, there are more chances of tyre burst than over inflation.
Old 20th January 2012, 19:01   #10182
BHPian

I have recently had a lot of discussions with my friends who claim to have 'Nitrogen' in their tyres and so do not need to check it regularly as it does not leak. I believe this is also a reason for tyre bursts. Underinflation results in the tyre heating up very quickly. A properly inflated tyre will have lower temperature which means it is safer.

To prove this, I checked the tyres of my friends car, who fills 'only nitrogen' and checks every 3 months. It was more than a month since he last checked. I used my pressure guage (which is tested against 3 other guages to ensure it shows right pressure). My tyre was at 32 psi. His was a dangerous 25 psi (Santro). At high speeds this can be dangerous for sure.

Also, PLEASE check your tyre pressures when the tyres are 'cold'. Ideally within 2 kms of driving in the early morning. Most of us check tyre pressure at the pump on non calibrated machines. A guage costs about a 100-200 bucks. Check it before you start on every monday. If required go to the 'nearest' tyre shop pay 10 bucks and get the air filled, remember to use your own guage.
torquecurve is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 07:44   #10183
Distinguished - BHPian

nice parking eh!
saw this just now infront of lalbagh west gate

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20120121_0739501.jpg
Old 21st January 2012, 09:26   #10184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
I have recently had a lot of discussions with my friends who claim to have 'Nitrogen' in their tyres and so do not need to check it regularly as it does not leak. I believe this is also a reason for tyre bursts. Underinflation results in the tyre heating up very quickly. A properly inflated tyre will have lower temperature which means it is safer.

say what?
"no sir, this leak is for air. I, Nitrogen, will not go through here!Never."

I wonder how people come to believe such stuff!
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 10:24   #10185
Senior - BHPian

News: Courtesy Pune Mirror:

On Friday there was this horrible accident on Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Gahunje Stadium developers’ game of hide-and-seek with authorities — illegally breaching the E-way so their trucks can take short cut to construction site — claimed life of woman driving on the correct side

One person was killed on Thursday and four were injured when their car was hit by a truck carrying heavy construction equipment that took an illegal turn on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway to access the underconstruction Gahunje Stadium via a breach in the E-way boundary wall, located around 35 km from Pune. The stadium is being built by the Maharashtra Cricket Association (MCA) and is intended to be the home ground for the city’s Indian Premier League (IPL) team, Pune Warriors India. Despite repeated repairs and warnings from authorities, the wall is breached by the stadium developers so that trucks carrying construction equipment and material can cut across the E-way, break into the one-way traffic from Pune to Mumbai and reach the stadium without taking the mandatory U-turn some distance ahead.

Police reports say there was another mishap under the same circumstances at the same spot around two weeks back, in which two persons were injured. In Thursday’s incident, a Maruti Wagon R with five passengers was heading to Mumbai when the truck entered the oneway traffic. Police said the driver was unable to control the car and rammed into the truck.

The deceased has been identified as Salma Abbas Vakharia (66) while the injured are Abbas Vakharia (73), Huzaifa Vakharia (40), Meshram Sanai (35) and Shivkumar Kardilkar (31), all residents of Dhankawadi. Police said that Huzaifa was at the wheel and Salma, his mother, was in the passenger seat while father Abbas and their two employees were sitting in the rear seat. Huzaifa is a building construction contractor.

Highway police said the truck bearing registration number MWN 2545 was on its way to Gahunje Stadium, but the truck driver is absconding. According to the highway police, the truck was negotiating an illegal turn by breaching a portion of the Expressway and was heading towards Gahunje stadium at 9.55 am when the accident took place.

Salma’s daughter Rafiqa told Pune Mirror, “We are shattered by this accident. It is unfortunate that the accident took place on the Expressway despite the driver being on the correct side. We demand strict action against the truck driver and a detailed investigation needs to be carried out as to how the safety of the E-way has been compromised.”

In the picture below you can imagine how severe the head-on impact would have been. The feather lite Wagon-R hitting a truck head-on with tonnes of load on it (virtually an immovable concrete wall), the front of the car completely smashed. Perhaps a car with air-bags would have helped reduce the human damage.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc-wagonr1.jpg

The second picture below showing how the truck intended to cross the E-way through the illegal break in the median & the broken E-way compound wall on the right top corner of the picture

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc-wagonr2.jpg

The third picture below showing that the driver would have seen the truck only at the last moment & would have been at speeds in excess on 100kmph as we can clearly see the tyre marks almost 100 feet prior to the accident spot. Yet the car could not stop within desired distance, it being loaded with 5 passengers didn't help either

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc-wagonr3.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks