Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2012, 15:26   #10276
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Don't you guys fight over it, please :-)

Looking at the Omni, the damage does not look much. It is only in the centre. So the occupants might have escaped with minor injuries. Of course, if they weren't wearing seatbelts, that's their stupidity and stupids need to pay the price for their stupidity.

Even the steering wheel isn't bent towards the driver, but away from driver, towards driver's right.

But what might have happened? Any speculations? Could it be that the car skidded while breaking hard and hit a pole? That's quite possible; look at the bald right tyre, and that's not a slick tyre for sure.
Old 30th January 2012, 20:46   #10277
Distinguished - BHPian

It's obvious it hit a pole or a tree. Or even a wall --- sideways on! There is no point in guessing.
Old 30th January 2012, 21:25   #10278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Or even a wall --- sideways on!
Come on! Give some respect to Omni! Its chasis can't be that bad to get misshapen like this just because it hit a wall sideways!

Btw, any update on the VW Vento which caught fire this morning? There was a post in this thread regarding same, with a picture. Now it is missing! Strange!

Edit: Found the VW Vento incident. It's here at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2662845

Last edited by DevilsCry : 30th January 2012 at 21:52. Reason: Edit added
Old 30th January 2012, 21:43   #10279
Distinguished - BHPian

I meant the side of the wall ...as in edge! Obviously, it hit something narrow.

Too late to clarify with an edit.

Seat belts might have saved lives, but there could still have been some nasty injuries. Is this the most dangerous "car" on our roads?
Old 31st January 2012, 06:04   #10280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Is this the most dangerous "car" on our roads?
Probably. And what's even worse is that it is also the most favored emergency vehicle (ambulance)!!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 21:08   #10281
BHPian

saw a girl hit by a speedy biker today near sholinganallur OMR signal, she was hit badly and dragged on for some distance. I feared the worst but fortunately she was standing and people holding her head, may be got a cut or something. I dont know whom to blame the girl who crossed in the middle of the signal or the biker who didnt slow down even at the signal, the signal was green though for the biker.
Old 31st January 2012, 21:39   #10282
Distinguished - BHPian

Both. A junction is a hazard, and a green signal does not make it any less so.

On the other hand, pedestrians should wait their turn, and cross when it is safe.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 21:58   #10283
Senior - BHPian

Ref the girl who crossed when the light was green & got hit (idiot could've gotten the biker badly injured/killed):
I just came back from a week in Thailand and honestly, we Indian road users are a bunch of morons who are simply suicidal. And I refuse to believe that the common man in Thailand is any less in a hurry, or is much more educated, or is just more civilized.

There is something completely wrong either in us as a culture, or that our system encourages scant regards for hygiene or traffic rules but frankly we are only going from bad to worse as it is.

EDIT: Thad's sig is on the money. Except Road user development is what i'd say - not just driver.

Last edited by phamilyman : 31st January 2012 at 22:00.
phamilyman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 22:21   #10284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
This Maruti van was parked on the main road close to Calcutta Metro Railway's Rabindra Sadan station, after being dumped there by a tow-away police vehicle, which is partially visible in the rear.
I think it must have hit a lamp post.
If i am not wrong, that bull bar was supposed to protect the Omni against such crashes !!!
Old 31st January 2012, 22:44   #10285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
If i am not wrong, that bull bar was supposed to protect the Omni against such crashes !!!
That is where you are actually WRONG and so are many others who think that a bull bar can help in case of a crash or a major frontal accident but the reality is that they make the situation much worse.
richie4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 23:48   #10286
Senior - BHPian

An incident that happened today morning, in which I may also have played a part:

I was waiting to take a right turn to get to my daughter's school bus stop on the other side of the road. Now, this is a busy road at that time (~9am) and it's a 2-lane road with no divider. There's no point in waiting in the middle of the road forcing everyone to drive around me, so what I usually do is to move to the extreme left, off the road (parking space), put my indicator on and wait for a big enough gap in traffic to make the turn. Today also, I was doing the same.

Then I could hear continuous honking and in the ORVM, I saw an Omni. I wasn't planning to take the turn anyway (because there was lot of traffic behind the Omni) and my car hadn't moved so I was wondering what's he honking at. Then the Omni passed me and stopped a little bit further ahead. Two guys got out of the car - I thought they were coming towards me, but they went past me. Then I looked back and found a bike fallen on the road, almost adjacent to my right rear bumper. The bike guy was off the bike and standing nearby. No harm done to either the rider or the bike.

My guess is that the Omni slowed down and the impatient bike guy (who I guess was the one doing the honking) tried to overtake the Omni on the left through the parking space. Then he saw my stopped car, tried to brake hard (on loose soil) or take a sharp turn back on to the road and fell down. He was very lucky that he didn't get hit from behind when the bike fell down.
Old 1st February 2012, 13:59   #10287
BHPian

I was in the middle of a U-Turn waiting for traffic to clear on the other side when I spotted this.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sangam-bridge-accident.jpg
Location: Just ahead of Sangam Bridge (COEP Side), Shivajinagar, Pune
Situation / Reason: Unknown

Speculation: The car rear ended a Bus / Truck.

Edit: Closer Look:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sba.jpg

Last edited by antz.bin : 1st February 2012 at 14:02.
Old 1st February 2012, 14:28   #10288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Location: Just ahead of Sangam Bridge (COEP Side), Shivajinagar, Pune
Situation / Reason: Unknown

Speculation: The car rear ended a Bus / Truck.
Fair amount of front end damage. The car seems to be an Emo.Pack variant. Do you know if the airbags were deployed?
Old 1st February 2012, 15:08   #10289
Senior - BHPian

that punto ^ smash would not have activated the airbag sensors...!! the BANE of Indian accidents...!! if the truck ahead would have had the compulsory extra lower bumper - then may be the airbags would have deployed!!

PS - someone is going to sit outside the TATA *** for a long time for a new FIAT part
Old 1st February 2012, 17:08   #10290
Senior - BHPian

Another AC bus goes up in flames on the Chennai - B'lore route. Anybody got any news about this?

Motorcyclist saves 30 onboard burning bus - southindia - Tamil Nadu - ibnlive

Most Viewed