Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 12:36   #10351
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Can't really agree with point # 3 [At least for Kerala]! Not because I am a Keralite, but I have seen people sticking on to their lanes & MOST importantly, using low beams in the night. After driving a lot thru Bangalore & TN highways, it was a revelation to me!
WHAT?

Yes, when it comes to 2 lane roads, Kerelites to stick to their lanes. If some car/truck/tempo is on the right lane & you honk or flash, they also do tend to move to the left lane.

But use of dippers at night? Out of 10 cars, 9 cars have aftermarket 100/90 bulbs & 8 cars use them in high beam in Kerela & TN.

Driving in Kerela is a relevation when compared to Bangalore because traffic is a lot lesser & less haphazardly. But it is equally dangerous. Most highways are single lane & vehicle criss cross into opposite lanes at high speeds to overtake.

Yes, I do agree that most vehicles including autos & trucks are in good condition with their tail lamps & indicators working & Kerelites liberally use their indicators, even ricks & truckers.
Old 10th February 2012, 13:23   #10352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisasa View Post
The high impact seems to have been well taken by the body of the car protecting the occupants. Wonder what happened to the other vehicle if it was one?
The other vehicle was a bus coming out of a lane. It was definitely damaged but the driver could drive away with it later.
Old 10th February 2012, 20:05   #10353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
But it is equally dangerous. Most highways are single lane & vehicle criss cross into opposite lanes at high speeds to overtake.
Yep - I had mentioned this in the last para of mine! But I don't agree with 9/10 cars using high wattage bulbs! It's much lesser than those in Bangalore city.
Old 10th February 2012, 20:22   #10354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisasa View Post
The high impact seems to have been well taken by the body of the car protecting the occupants. Wonder what happened to the other vehicle if it was one?
Looks like the car went underneath the rear of a bus/ truck. It looks like the bonnet got folded open due to this. It does not look like a head on collision. The engine compartment has not crumpled and the body shell shows no signs of any heavy front on collision.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 21:30   #10355
BHPian

No Proper details. A drunk restaurant owner driving at crazy speeds in narrow lane in Shivajinagar late night lost control and rammed into a road side shed injuring one person very seriously. Same old Case. After the Cash flows the Case will be closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-0139.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-0152.jpg  

Old 10th February 2012, 23:19   #10356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
Anyone saw the latest accident that happened on the Hyderabad ORR near the APPA junction exit? It involved a petrol tanker and an i10 i guess (not sure, was a red one). The petrol tanker fell sideways on the road and i remember seeing some spillage on the road. The i10 was flung at least 100-200mts away from it on the divider in a topsy-turvy position. It looked to me a very serious accident, the road was blocked/disrupted for at least a half km stretch, looks like it just happened at around 10 30 today morning. Didn't look prudent to stop and click pics of the same, shall include any newspaper clippings if i find in tomorrow's papers.

All this re-iterates the same point again n again - The Hyd ORR is just a disaster waiting to happen, someday there will be a chain-accident similar to FD-2, even then the authorities won't wake up if there is no high profile ppl involved in the accident. It's getting more n more scary to drive on it. Logically, the probability of an accident increases proportionally to the number of times i use it. I can vouch for at least 3-4 accidents in the last week on just this 25 km stretch from gachibowli to airport, dnt know how many more are happening in the rest of the sections.

Just a km ahead of it (while coming from airport) u can see another fully loaded truck sleeping on the road on it's side.
Here you go !

The aftermath of a horrific crash involving a tanker carrying petrol(?) and a couple of cars on the ORR, the beautiful road literally melted away (as told by my friend who passed by the accident spot and clicked these pictures)! it happened in the morning but thankfully the road has been fixed by now. Hope people made it out safely at the end of the day ! Pictures courtesy Junaid NK,

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-325572_10150532142887181_730727180_9438093_1754927204_o.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-411225_10150532140642181_730727180_9438088_1315852871_o.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-330491_10150532145722181_730727180_9438099_270270598_o.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-339277_10150532147197181_730727180_9438101_803452691_o.jpg

Last edited by ShortShifter : 10th February 2012 at 23:47.
Old 11th February 2012, 03:17   #10357
BHPian

i saw a burnt trailor truck on the sholinganallur-medavakkam road, heard from the toll collector there was no accident but it caught fire by itself.
Old 11th February 2012, 09:59   #10358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShifter View Post
Here you go !

The aftermath of a horrific crash involving a tanker carrying petrol(?) and a couple of cars on the ORR,
Looks horrific!!
How did this happen ? Any idea ?
Are all the cars in the pic(i10, indicab, alto) are from the same accident ?
Surely looks like a ghastly accident. Hope everybody got out of it safely.
Old 11th February 2012, 12:46   #10359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The aftermath of a horrific crash involving a tanker carrying petrol(?) and a couple of cars on the ORR, the beautiful road literally melted away
Back in December 1999, a petrol carrying tanker had overturned on the Ring Road in Delhi, right at the southern end of the flyover at ITO crossing. It was raining, and the entire oil was floating on top of the water surface.

At around 12.000 midnight, four of us college friends, three guys and a girl were coming down the same flyover on two Yamaha RXGs, doing speeds of about 50 kph, with all four of us wearing helmets. The girl and me were riding pillion on the two bikes. There was a DTC bus coming behind us.

To say that we did not know what hit us would be an understatement.

The thin tyres of the Yamaha RXGs were no match for the oil spill on the road. We lost control like a first-time ski-er and tumbled. While the rest of the three were thrown towards the pavement side (towards the boundary of the now-decommissioned ITO thermal power station) I was thrown towards the divider.

All I recollect is sliding down my back on a film of oil for almost 20 metres with the DTC bus thundering towards me. The driver of the DTC bus probably realised that braking to save my one life could endanger the lives of all the occupants on the bus, and he simply continued. My only instinct then was to move to the median which I did.

My sweater and trousers were gone from the rear. But I managed with minimal bruises. The same oil slick which caused the accident saved the road surface from grazing through my skin.

We later heard that many more bikers (including those from our college) had fallen at the same spot on that night. Thankfully, no serious injuries or deaths happenned.

Even today, I pass through that spot with a shudder.
architect is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 16:51   #10360
BHPian

Quote:
Here you go !

The aftermath of a horrific crash involving a tanker carrying petrol(?) and a couple of cars on the ORR, the beautiful road literally melted away (as told by my friend who passed by the accident spot and clicked these pictures)! it happened in the morning but thankfully the road has been fixed by now. Hope people made it out safely at the end of the day ! Pictures courtesy Junaid NK,

Any news of the accident on ORR?
Old 11th February 2012, 20:57   #10361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are all the cars in the pic(i10, indicab, alto) are from the same accident ?
Red car is an Indica not an i10.
Old 11th February 2012, 21:06   #10362
Senior - BHPian

Guys this incident is really gruesome

Quote:
In a shocking incident of road rage, a lorry driver allegedly deliberately ran his vehicle over a private transport bus driver after the latter questioned him for driving in a rash manner and trying to overtake him at nearby Kattur, police said. They said the driver of the private bus got irked as the other man reportedly took his vehicle dangerously close to the bus and tried to overtake it. The bus passengers also protested. The bus driver overtook the lorry and intercepted it at Kattur and questioned the lorry driver for being rash, leading to a heated argument. The latter in a fit of fury reportedly ran the vehicle over the bus driver, who was standing in front of the lorry, killing him on the spot, police said, adding he has been arrested. The bus was bound for Tirunedunkulam from Tiruchi.
Lorry driver runs vehicle over bus driver, IBN Live News
Old 12th February 2012, 12:52   #10363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Witnessed a accident today , in which I played a side role.
There was a puppy wandering on the road, it came running towards my car, I braked in time. Luckily no one was behind me that time. I was still to check if the puppy is alright, then I saw it running towards right onto the centre of the road, where the Panjagutta flyover exits ramp meets road no 2.
One or two biker coming down from the flyover swerved and braked to avoid hitting it. Then suddenly BANG!!!
I couldn't make out what happened but as I slowly started, I saw in the IRVM that a Innova had hit the biker who stopped.
Could see some people stopping and helping the biker. I carried on.
Hope the guy is alright. The poor puppy was completely lost on the road.
This happened at Nagarjuna circle towards road no 2, Banjara hills, this morning while coming to office.
Though I may sound crude and against animals in general, my sincere advise would be while driving except for a human life do not do brake suddenly or stop for anything that would cause consequential damage to you and others.
There are hundreds of incidents in which human lives are lost or serious injuries caused while trying to avoid or save animals.
Habanero City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 13:01   #10364
BANNED

Yesterday afternoon while travelling from Tiruchengode to Omalur I came across this 800 in a curve in the Tamilnadu State Highway no. 86
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acci1.jpg  

Old 12th February 2012, 16:04   #10365
BHPian

Friends,
Just last week I was driving to buy some food for my family. I was atop a railway over-bridge, which is known as Tallah bridge to Calcuttans. It is a narrow undivided bridge, just wide enough for four small passenger cars. There is a traffic signal just in the middle of the bridge, as a road branches off from the middle of the bridge, the railway lines running parallel to it.
The traffic signal turned red making me to stop. I stopped gently but one Tata Sumo, which was behind me, hit me in the rear. I came out to see the damage at the rear of my car, when I found that the Tata Sumo was in turn hit by a lorry. What I saw was this. Please excuse the poor quality of my HTC phone.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0060.jpg
Unable to control, the Sumo had collided against the back of my car, causing a dent on the bumper and the lid of the luggage carrier.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0062.jpg
I was alone in my car but apparently the Sumo was a hired vehicle, with at least three persons sitting in it. Along with the driver, these people stopped the truck, convinced the traffic police on the bridge to allow us a right turn and park on the road going down from the middle of the bridge. (Ultimately the traffic police had to be given Rs 200/- for allowing us to park on a no parking area and continue our negotiation.) The truck had the mobile number of the owner written on it, who was contacted and compensation arranged.
All I had to pay was Rs 700/- for denting and painting job, over and above the amount which the lorry driver had offered me, so I did not make any claim with my insurance company.
Regards,
Rahul

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks