Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2012, 13:23   #10381
Senior - BHPian

The past week I've been driving with family from state to state, city to city in a long haul drive (3094km). Our mousey never gave any problems during the drive even though 25% of the time we were driving on rough terrain (SUV territory). Everything was fine until the drive down from Tirumala (Tirupati) where my car got rear-ended by my FIL's Accent at about 40-45kmph.
Name:  image2592274164.png
Views: 4665
Size:  455.1 KB
Name:  image1548864670.png
Views: 4583
Size:  559.9 KB

Reason: he momentarily blacked out due to fatigue (we had been driving at night couple of stretches and he was really tired).

I was furious a hell, not because my FIL rear-ended my car, but the fact that my mousey was hurt (nothing of this sort has happened to her in the 5yrs she's been with us other than the occasional scratch). First we thought we'll have to get a mechanic to help as the bumper was crushed on the RHS and was touching the tyre.

When we couldn't find anyone to help, we thought we'll try to remove the bumper altogether, but soon found out that removing was gonna be impossible as some of the nuts had bent and we did not have the tools to deal with it. In the end we decided to cut part of the bumper on the bottom RHS so that the tyre is not affected on the drive back to Bangalore (same evening).

Name:  image872072644.png
Views: 4491
Size:  598.8 KB

This morning I went to Trident A.S.S to get an estimate on the repair. I was given a ballpark figure of 15k and I'll have to leave her with them for a week. Will be sending her to the A.S.S tomorrow coz I can't bear to see her like this :(

To all the drivers out there, do not underestimate driver fatigue! Your safety and that of others (in your car and outside) is of prime importance. I cannot profess more strongly about wearing seat belts - all three of us (my wife, SIL and myself) were buckled up and hence none of us got hurt!
IronH4WK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 14:43   #10382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK
The past week I've been driving with family from state to state, city to city in a long haul drive (3094km). Our mousey never gave any problems during the drive even though 25% of the time we were driving on rough terrain (SUV territory). Everything was fine until the drive down from Tirumala (Tirupati) where my car got rear-ended by my FIL's Accent at about 40-45kmph.

Reason: he momentarily blacked out due to fatigue (we had been driving at night couple of stretches and he was really tired).

I was furious a hell, not because my FIL rear-ended my car, but the fact that my mousey was hurt (nothing of this sort has happened to her in the 5yrs she's been with us other than the occasional scratch). First we thought we'll have to get a mechanic to help as the bumper was crushed on the RHS and was touching the tyre-----SNIP---------------------uckled up and hence none of us got hurt!
Read on the spare parts thread, bumper plus painting comes to 5-6k.
Rest is for the dents ?

Last edited by mayankk : 15th February 2012 at 14:45.
Old 15th February 2012, 15:27   #10383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk
Read on the spare parts thread, bumper plus painting comes to 5-6k.
Rest is for the dents ?
they've just given a ballpark figure; it could be a lesser amount too which I guess they'll come to know when they open it up. The rear bumper will need to be replaced, the panels above the bumper will too; the hatch lock seems to be damaged (isn't locking properly) and the metal braces inside the bumper are bent and most probably be replaced too. The right tail light assembly is dislodged; I hope the braces are not broken inside. Will need new mud flaps too.

Let's see how it goes.
Old 15th February 2012, 21:09   #10384
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
they've just given a ballpark figure; it could be a lesser amount too which I guess they'll come to know when they open it up. The rear bumper will need to be replaced, the panels above the bumper will too; the hatch lock seems to be damaged (isn't locking properly) and the metal braces inside the bumper are bent and most probably be replaced too. The right tail light assembly is dislodged; I hope the braces are not broken inside. Will need new mud flaps too.

Let's see how it goes.
Sorry to hear about the incident.
How bad is the damage to the Accent?
Old 15th February 2012, 21:30   #10385
BHPian

Fresh this evening... a terrible head on collision of a cabbie indica and a ford endaevour near chrysalis high school @ Varthur, Bangalore. The Indica's front was damaged beyond repair and crushed, and the endaevour fell into a small ditch on the side of the road. No Pics since i was busy attending to the needs of those hurt.

Eyewitness accounts say that the SUV was on the wrong side of the road. Both the SUV and the cab driver were safe, only one who got hurt badly (huge cut on the shin bone and bruises elsewhere) were of the one guy sitting in the rear seat of the Indicab.

Poor guy just landed in Bangalore from the US, and still had his luggage with him, and this is the welcome he gets @ Bangalore :(

Took him along with his stuff to Yashomati hospital @ Marthalli, handed him over to his friends and just got home. will post pics tomorrow if i go that route again.

The one word of caution - When you hand over your SUV to a driver, make sure that he realizes that with a lot of power at your disposal, you are also giving him a lot of responsibility, and, the driver must be living up to that responsibility. If he is irresponsible, he actually puts someone else's life at risk.

Apparently, the cab driver had worn his seat belts just a few moments before because he saw some cops on the road. Ma glad they are enforcing the seat belt rules in Bangalore from Feb1, It sure saved his life today!
bigvishnu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 00:38   #10386
Senior - BHPian

I do not know about this gentleman but he seemed to be a well known guy in Biking arena. Got this via Facebook.

Old 16th February 2012, 10:25   #10387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvishnu View Post
Fresh this evening... a terrible head on collision of a cabbie indica and a ford endaevour near chrysalis high school @ Varthur, Bangalore....
What time was it? I travel that way daily. Yesterday evening, I passed by that side at around 5. Today morning too, I did not see any damaged vehicles.

That stretch (from Gunjur to Whitefield) has become chaotic now, due to the increase in traffic (thanks to ORR flyover and underpass constructions). Most motorists are reckless, and the BMTC buses only make the matters worse. Sometimes, there are even cops who pull over the trucks and make them stop in the middle of the road.

If you are travelling towards Varthur, the road suddenly becomes narrow as you reach the Varthur Police Station, causing slow moving traffic. Then there are 3 MASSIVE humps. Moreover, the roadside vendors and pedestrians further add to the chaos. When the queue goes long enough, a lot of morons drive on the opposite lane (that too, very fast) and try to cut into the correct lane near the police station, creating more chaos. Those who are waiting on the correct side, remain waiting. Then there is an unofficial bus stop right in the middle of the narrow stretch. Need I say more?

Over the last few months, 3 new speed-breakers have appeared, including one near Chrysalis (but thank God, these people had the brains to build them according to specifications), and more pot holes too. These speedbreakers are so close to each other that they only increase frustration of motorists.

I wonder, if they had so much raw material to build a speed breaker, didn't they have enough of it to close those pot holes?
Old 16th February 2012, 10:27   #10388
BHPian

The Hindu : NATIONAL / ANDHRA PRADESH : Ace bike racer Vinu dead

Thought of opening a new thread.

From The Hindu:

Vinu S. Viswanathan, a recognised race biker hailing from Hyderabad, succumbed to serious head injuries he received in a road accident on the National Highway 5 in the Nayudupeta police circle limits in the SPSR Nellore district.
The accident occurred on February 8 and subsequently he was rushed to a Chennai hospital where he battled for life till Tuesday night.
The police said that Vinu hit the side wall of a bridge, flew over it and fell on the railway track below near Nelaballi village. He was first taken to Government Hospital in Sullurupeta from where he was shifted to a private hospital in Chennai. Vinu's parents live at Defence Colony in Neredmet, Secunderabad.
20-foot fall
Nayudupeta Circle Inspector C. Manikya Rao told The Hindu that Vinu was wearing a helmet at the time of accident, but he received fatal head injuries due to 20-feet fall from the bridge. Blood dripped from ears due to internal injuries. The accident occurred around noon and there was no eye witness account except that the biker was found lying with injuries on the track. A passionate biker from college days, Vinu had the distinction of being the first South Indian to complete Iron Butt Association's (USA) Bun Burner Challenge thereby achieving its prestigious certification. IBA, USA, is a club of world's tough riders.
Vinu was stated to be going home to Hyderabad from Chennai on his race bike when the accident occurred.
The district police went to Chennai hospital on Wednesday to conduct post-mortem and handing over the body to family members. When Vinu completed Bun Burner Challenge, he followed the route from Hyderabad to Kanyakumari via Bengaluru and Madurai. It was not known as to why he took NH 5 route this time.
Old 16th February 2012, 11:32   #10389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvishnu View Post
Fresh this evening... a terrible head on collision of a cabbie indica and a ford endaevour near chrysalis high school @ Varthur, Bangalore. The Indica's front was damaged beyond repair and crushed, and the endaevour fell into a small ditch on the side of the road. No Pics since i was busy attending to the needs of those hurt.

Eyewitness accounts say that the SUV was on the wrong side of the road. Both the SUV and the cab driver were safe, only one who got hurt badly (huge cut on the shin bone and bruises elsewhere) were of the one guy sitting in the rear seat of the Indicab.

Poor guy just landed in Bangalore from the US, and still had his luggage with him, and this is the welcome he gets @ Bangalore :(

Took him along with his stuff to Yashomati hospital @ Marthalli, handed him over to his friends and just got home. will post pics tomorrow if i go that route again.

The one word of caution - When you hand over your SUV to a driver, make sure that he realizes that with a lot of power at your disposal, you are also giving him a lot of responsibility, and, the driver must be living up to that responsibility. If he is irresponsible, he actually puts someone else's life at risk.

Apparently, the cab driver had worn his seat belts just a few moments before because he saw some cops on the road. Ma glad they are enforcing the seat belt rules in Bangalore from Feb1, It sure saved his life today!

saw this yesterday while going home. Clicked from my phone but the focus was wrong since the windows were up.
The SUV had HR registration.
How did Indica land up on its wrong side after the accident and both facing the same direction?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120215_182152_36.jpg  

Last edited by srishiva : 16th February 2012 at 11:34.
Old 16th February 2012, 12:08   #10390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Sorry to hear about the incident.
How bad is the damage to the Accent?
nothing broken, but a lot of denting. the left headlight assembly was dislodged, but not broken. the left front corner of the hood was bent slightly and i think was a but misaligned at the hinges. the left side of the front bumper kinda caved in and believe it or not the reflector on Getz's bumper got embossed on it (will try to get a picture of it)! however, as you can see in the picture, the rear right reflector on my Getz is only cracked and still stands in its position

i'm so very glad i chose the Getz over other hatches
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 14:09   #10391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
saw this yesterday while going home. Clicked from my phone but the focus was wrong since the windows were up.
The SUV had HR registration.
How did Indica land up on its wrong side after the accident and both facing the same direction?
The SUV was HR registration, but the driver was a local, and was talking on the phone in kannada to the owner. So not sure what it was doing in Bangalore, maybe they relocated.

The Indica was coming from Sarjapur towards ITPL. The impact of the collision made it spin around I guess. Since it happened a few moments before i reached there, not sure of the exact status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
What time was it? I travel that way daily. Yesterday evening, I passed by that side at around 5. Today morning too, I did not see any damaged vehicles.
This was between 5:15 and 5:30 PM yesterday.
Old 16th February 2012, 15:01   #10392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I do not know about this gentleman but he seemed to be a well known guy in Biking arena. Got this via Facebook.
Yes, he was a very well known biker especially in the south, this is what happened according to a local Telugu nespaper report :

Sri Poti Sri Ramulu Nellore district Dorawari Satram Mandalam on NH near Nelaballi a terrible bike accident incident where one of the bike rider from Secunderabad with lot of wounds.

Motor cycle racer V S VINU traveling from Chennai towards Nellore and hit the side wall of the flyover on NH near Nelaballi village.

He fell from the flyover on to the railway track under the flyover and was wounded heavily.

Although he was wearing a helmet due to heavy bleeding from the ears he lost his consciousness.

Police after reaching the accident spot have shifted Vinu to local (Sullurupeta) Government hospital and intimated his parents.

For better recovery he was then shifted to Chennai.

Police said "Because the rider was wearing a good quality helmet he survived the crash"

He however succumbed to his injuries in hospital. RIP Vinu. Hope and pray God gives his family the strength to bear this loss. Vinu's brother Dhruv too passed away in a bike accident about two years ago.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th February 2012 at 01:36. Reason: Avoid including videos in quoted posts as it may inconvenience small-screen and mobile users!
Old 17th February 2012, 16:07   #10393
BHPian

A bus has caught fire in the Shanthinagar bus depot at 2:30 PM. Fortunately there was no passenger inside at that time. The bus was scheduled to leave for Hyd at 6:30 PM Cause of fire is still not known.
Old 17th February 2012, 17:52   #10394
BHPian

That is really sad, few days back only i read his thread in XBHP about his Bur Burner achievement inspite of a injury in one of his eyes.

RIP Vinu. you are a great loss to the Bikers community.
Old 18th February 2012, 10:55   #10395
Senior - BHPian

Clicked this today morning while going to office. Looks like it happened just a while before I reached the spot. Looks like the bus was on a very early morning trip. You can see the passenger's of the bus in the pic. They were shocked and relieved at the same time.
Sorry couldn't get a clear picture. The traffic was a little heavy.
Happened at the Junction of Rd no 82 and Rd no 92, jubilee hills.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0021-medium.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imag0022-medium.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks