Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 09:27   #10441
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Spotted an accident on Airport-Seaport Road near the district jail. I didn't spot victims/ambulance/police. So I guess it happened atleast 30mins before I passed the spot at 8:30am. However, the vehicles involved were not moved from the spot yet. An Estilo and a bike were involved in the accident. Estilo was almost perpendicular to the road on the right hand side, front wheels off the road, and the bike was lying just infront of the Estilo. No idea about injuries.
Old 24th February 2012, 10:01   #10442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
A car from the opposite lane swerved right into their path. And to avoid this guy, the driver of the Civic swerved left and went straight into an unlit 18-wheeler parked by the side of the road.

In my case, a bus came out of the blue from the opposite side (from behind another bus, actually) in a split second, straight into my Scorpio's path, during my last year's visit to Tirupati. I just involuntarily veered off the road in the next split second, to save my life.

Unfortunately in the quoted case above, there was an object in their way after they swerved, very little else could have been done by them. RIP, to the departed souls.

Learning point for me: Slow done to around 60 to 70 kmph mark whenever vehicles approach from the opposite side, particularly on our single lane "highways".
mooza is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 10:33   #10443
Senior - BHPian

A bit offtopic but related to this thread.
Quote:
India loses $20 billion due to road accidents annually, which the World Health Organization(WHO) estimates is enough to feed 50% of the nation's malnourished children. Officially, at least 1.34 lakh people died on Indian roads in 2010, while experts claim the figure could be about 1.5 lakh considering the under reporting of such cases.
More details here:
India loses $20bn annually to road accidents - The Economic Times

Just hope people imbibe safe driving practices and save all those money for the betterment of our country and it's people.
Old 24th February 2012, 11:16   #10444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
In my case, a bus came out of the blue from the opposite side (from behind another bus, actually) in a split second, straight into my Scorpio's path, during my last year's visit to Tirupati. I just involuntarily veered off the road in the next split second, to save my life.
I find this happening too way often on single lane highways, every one (particularly Buses) are in a hurry to overtake and veer into the opposite lane directly in front of the oncoming vehicle without a care.
This is a major cause of accidents and takes the opposite driver by surprise with very less reaction time.

As you mentioned, its very important to maintain a safe/controllable speed and to be defensive, anticipating that "the vehicle behind the vehicle in front can/will suddenly come in your path."

I've found that flashing lights momentarily when you anticipate such situations helps to some extent in preventing the driver from making that move of coming in your path.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 24th February 2012 at 11:19.
Old 24th February 2012, 12:27   #10445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
Saw this horrific accident site today @ noon near the Yellamma Dasappa Institute of Technology.
The viewers() told me that this Maruti Omni hit a Hyundai Santro!
The Driver's compartment was not easily recognizable due to the hit.
You can see the Ambulance in the background(Picture:1).
Picture 2 shows the compartment and Pic 3:Shows the car again.
Hope the driver recovers ASAP.
That's a bad one, hope the driver recovers fast, have seen lot of junked vehicles in front of talaghattapura police station. I always see lot of cars driven rashly in kanakapura road stretch. During night, all the cars and trucks will be on their high beams making me impossible to spot the bicyclist going in the middle of the road with my puny bike headlamps. Had couple of close encounters, stopped riding to office untill I get my own HID's
krishnadevanur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 13:03   #10446
BHPian

There are many 2 wheelers who do this type of crawling when there is a traffic so that they go ahead of all, they dont care about others vehicles, many a times they bang on the mirror. I have started to go close to the payment so that there is no gap for them to adjust and pass through.

In this case good that other bikers supported the Pulsar Guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Any one who was stuck in Yesterday's Traffic pile up on the BETL would know how bad it was...and for o reason whatsoever.
When We were just waiting in between this jam and hoping that the traffic would clear, I saw a small accident.

Just beside our company cab, There was one more car with sufficient gap between the two vehicles and also sufficient gap between the other car and the safety wall.
One activa with a 25-30 year old guy driving it with an old lady aged around 55-60 riding pillion came between the two vehicles.

Then suddenly without any indication or withou looking at anything, he turned left in front of the other car towards the wall so that he can drive along the wall.
In a fraction of a second, he was hit by another pulsar and the old lady fell down with the vehicle. Below graphic may explain it better.

Attachment 892553

After this, the most amusing thing was, the activa driver didn't even look at the lady but straight away removed his half-helmet and dashed towards the pulsar guy to start a quarrel.
That lady got up soon and came and tried to pull him away, but he wanted to quarrel at any cost.
Then two wheelers around him then scolded him and told him to come back since it was his mistake and not the pulsar's

This should also qualify for the bad driver's thread
Old 25th February 2012, 09:08   #10447
BHPian

Machilipatnam Express hit a Tractor, two drivers dead

http://news.webindia123.com/news/Art...5/1934595.html

http://www.gulte.com/news/4904/Machi...Hit-By-Tractor

Happened around 8:30 - 8:45pm on friday night.

Last edited by rishie : 25th February 2012 at 09:11. Reason: adding one more link
Old 25th February 2012, 15:07   #10448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
Saw this horrific accident site today @ noon near the Yellamma Dasappa Institute of Technology.
The viewers told me that this Maruti Omni hit a Hyundai Santro!
The Driver's compartment was not easily recognizable due to the hit.
Hope driver and passengers are OK.
See the Omni; It is in fact the Maruti van probably a 1986 one. Appears to be fine one before the accident.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 18:21   #10449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
@Wasava, that's quite an impact, I got to say the Punto is built like a tank. Had it been a Honda City, I'd doubt much of the left side would have remained (no offense to Honda users). You mentioned that you slammed into a divider, was that on the left side itself ?
hope this link establishes your statement even better
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-6-months.html
Old 26th February 2012, 09:17   #10450
BHPian

Saw one more accident in Hyderabad NORR yesterday afternoon. A truck had smashed into the barriers/dividers of the Exit no. 18 towards the Airport. Metal vs Metal. Everything looked mangled and torn apart. Some parts of the signage pole seemed like it split the cabin somewhere near the driver side. No pics as I was travelling in a bus and did not stop.
Old 26th February 2012, 16:47   #10451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
So the report in TOI was wrong. But I was wrong too.

Apparently, while they were driving (at considerable speed) a car from the opposite lane swerved right into their path. And to avoid this guy, the driver of the Civic swerved left and went straight into an unlit 18-wheeler parked by the side of the road.

Still not sure if it's completely true. But this is what I was told by reliable sources.

It's a sad thing anyway. The driver shouldn't have been tempted to go fast on the new stretch.
According to Police , Ganja was found in the car , in which these 4 guys were killed.

Police find ganja in students’ crashed car

Drugs & overspeeding is a certain invite to death.
w 12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 17:45   #10452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
According to Police , Ganja was found in the car , in which these 4 guys were killed.

Police find ganja in students’ crashed car

Drugs & overspeeding is a certain invite to death.
Argghhhh.

Was there ganja in the driver's bloodstream? Please get your facts right before slandering the dead before even the police is not sure yet.

R Kumaraswamy, additional SP Bangalore district, told Deccan Herald: “We are not sure if the youths had consumed the seized material. We are awaiting the chemical analysis and post mortem reports from the forensic sciences laboratory.”

Did you read the link before you posted it? or just the title was enough.
Old 26th February 2012, 18:24   #10453
Senior - BHPian

With due respect to the dead, ganja is not an item one should keep in your car under normal circumstances? Is there any other purpose for ganja other than for getting a high as per you?
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 18:43   #10454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Argghhhh.

Was there ganja in the driver's bloodstream? Please get your facts right before slandering the dead before even the police is not sure yet.

R Kumaraswamy, additional SP Bangalore district, told Deccan Herald: “We are not sure if the youths had consumed the seized material. We are awaiting the chemical analysis and post mortem reports from the forensic sciences laboratory.”

Did you read the link before you posted it? or just the title was enough.
Why would a group of teenagers have ganja on the dashboard of their car, on a jolly late night drive? That drug is illegal even outside the car, for God's sake!
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 19:03   #10455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Why would a group of teenagers have ganja on the dashboard of their car, on a jolly late night drive? That drug is illegal even outside the car, for God's sake!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
With due respect to the dead, ganja is not an item one should keep in your car under normal circumstances? Is there any other purpose for ganja other than for getting a high as per you?
Let me ask you guys two questions:
a. Have you ever driven with other friends who have alcohol in their system, or worse, have alcohol with them in your car? Did that make you lose control over your car?
b. My question is NOT about the legality - but about whether the ganja in the bloodstream of the driver and whether that contributed to the driving error.

I am not denying the possibility that what you all are insinuating may be true. I honestly believe people should be innocent until proven guilty and these posts are contrary to that perception.

Here is a point for the purpose of hyperbole. It may be quite likely that driving straight into a stationary truck at 60 kph will cause serious damage. Am unable to find tyre marks in any report that indicate that they tried to avoid the truck. Maybe the overspeeding was not THAT much? It seems like a night ride - could just simply be caused by sleep as a cause?

Therefore saying that "Drugs & overspeeding is a certain invite to death" should be held off till the FULL details are available.
phamilyman is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed