Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2012, 21:49   #10666
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
...God knows what would have happened if I had been on the highway doing 80-90 kmph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
...And after reading your post above it is clear that the failure in your case was electronic and not mechanical. If it was mechanical, the steering would have completely jammed up or you would have lost complete steering (steering wheel would turn but your car would not react) and you would not have been able to steer at all. So on your trip with you dad you would not have realized this problem at highway speeds and would have driven normally.

skanchan95,

vikram_d answered your fear as in the first quote.
What he meant was you wouldn't have realised the "hardness" at highway speeds of around 80kmph

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Even if we assume that the EPS cut off automatically, why did the EPS warning light come on immediately after the steering became rock hard? Had it not been a malfunction, the EPS light should not have come on. The steering became rock hard(both times) after I heard a "click" sound from the steering column area. I am dead sure it wasn't the "normal" EPS cutting off.

At the time of the incident, I was within city limits, may be doing 35-40 kmph. The steering surely is not supposed to become rock hard at those speeds. It remained rock hard even after coming to a complete stop, it wasn't normal, whichever way one looks at it. Only restarting the engine seemed to correct the steering. Has anyone ever tried steering a car with the engine off? That's how hard the steering wheel felt that day...
Also as mentioned in your post above and the picture in it...
It is not supposed to be hard at city speeds, but because of this "electronic failure" you felt the "hardness" and the light has come on.
That "click" sound you are talking about must be from the ECU.
Because of the electronic failure, it was reset when you restarted and for the same reason, there is only a distant chance of an accident (As it is nothing but like driving a car without PS for example a M800).

This is where a Hydraulic Power Steering(HPS) is better than an Electronic Power steering(EPS) because it is less prone to such frequent failures.

There is a thread on TBHP titled somewhat like "How Flatbeds would run out of business..." which is like a mirror to the present day fact that too much of electronics in cars leads to more such problems

Anyways for your problem, go and show this to the A.S.S and get this rectified which may need a ECU flashing.

Afterthought: Was the power brake also hard??...If yes, it might be a recipe for an accident than just this steering problem.

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2012 at 14:20. Reason: Removing image from quoted post.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 08:12   #10667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
skanchan95,

vikram_d answered your fear as in the first quote.
What he meant was you wouldn't have realised the "hardness" at highway speeds of around 80kmph
Maybe not, but the same hardness could have resulted in a major accident while overtaking or changing lanes(as mentioned before, it remained hard if every after having come to a complete stop). Only I know the hard time that I had trying to make the car stop in time that day. In fact when the steering became hard for the second time that evening, I barely managed avoiding the road divider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Anyways for your problem, go and show this to the A.S.S and get this rectified which may need a ECU flashing.

Afterthought: Was the power brake also hard??...If yes, it might be a recipe for an accident than just this steering problem.
The incident happened in December 2010. The braking was normal.

The EPS malfunction seemed like the ultimate critical failure, after having struggled with Hyundai to get the steering rattle. I was always afraid that thanks to the horrible steering rattle issue, one day the steering could malfunction someday.I had even wrote about this fear to HYundai in my big complaint to Hyundai bigwigs. My worst fear came true that December evening and Hyundai fellows behaved as it was a normal incident, not even caring for the car's and therefore our safety!!

If you want to know what all "experiments" in the name of fixing steering rattle issue were done on the car, prior to the EPS malfunction, please read this( the first post in my ownership thread) : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2088225.
If you read further, you will realise that my troubles only got worse thereafter, be it the pathetic little Hyundai workshop in Junagadh or the RO or the company itself.
Old 15th March 2012, 09:39   #10668
BHPian

Please start a thread on the i20 steering issue! This isnt the thread to be discussing this as its completely OT.

Cheers!
Old 15th March 2012, 09:39   #10669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The car they were travelling collided with a tipper lorry on the Sulagiri bypass at 5:30 AM. The lorry was going to Krishnagiri.
Thanks. Here is an article with picture. http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Coimbatore/article2994411.ece

Horrible accident. May their souls RIP. It says the vehicle is an SUV, but looks like a sedan to me.
Old 15th March 2012, 10:04   #10670
Senior - BHPian

^^
Bad bad crash. Looks like a Fiesta to me, looking at the rear quarter panel and the door!

May their souls RIP!
Old 15th March 2012, 10:32   #10671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
^^
Bad bad crash. Looks like a Fiesta to me, looking at the rear quarter panel and the door!

May their souls RIP!
The article says SUV. It does not seem like one, doesnt seem like a Fiesta too. Seems like a Skoda or VW to me. Alloys say so.
Old 15th March 2012, 10:37   #10672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The article says SUV. It does not seem like one, doesnt seem like a Fiesta too. Seems like a Skoda or VW to me. Alloys say so.
Look at the tires, those are GY GT3! None of the Skoda or VW came with the GYs!

The alloys looks like the one that comes in the Figo Titanium. The Fiesta Classic is now available in this color!
Old 15th March 2012, 10:58   #10673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Look at the tires, those are GY GT3! None of the Skoda or VW came with the GYs!

The alloys looks like the one that comes in the Figo Titanium. The Fiesta Classic is now available in this color!
Well, could be! Or could be a Polo/Vento? Does Ford stick variant bar code labels on the right rear quarter glass?
Old 15th March 2012, 11:27   #10674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Well, could be! Or could be a Polo/Vento? Does Ford stick variant bar code labels on the right rear quarter glass?
Yes, Ford does. This cant be Vento because vento has a black plastic cladding in the rear window.

The scary part is, the tipper crossed over the median and hit this car.

EDIT: this is a fiesta.

Image source: Dinamalar tamil epaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by ramzsys : 15th March 2012 at 11:56.
Old 15th March 2012, 11:58   #10675
BHPian

An accident occurred in front of our office (Prestige Tech Park, Blr) in which an Oracle Employee lost his life

Techie crushed under tipper wheels
Old 15th March 2012, 12:54   #10676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Yes, Ford does. This cant be Vento because vento has a black plastic cladding in the rear window.

The scary part is, the tipper crossed over the median and hit this car.

EDIT: this is a fiesta.

Image source: Dinamalar tamil epaper.

Todays Hindu carried the same report but mentioned it as SUV and the photo also was from a front angle of the car from which you could not identify the vehicle.
May the souls RIP!!
Old 15th March 2012, 13:15   #10677
Senior - BHPian

saw this Zen on the OMR this morning, near the NGEF bypass signal. looks like someone t-boned it while crossing the signal.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_5394.jpg
Old 15th March 2012, 14:14   #10678
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Just got news of four RV college engineering kids in a swift crashed on NICE road (Bangalore) this morning, and one girl died on the spot!! May her soul RIP.

Hear the kid driving was doing 120+ and panicked when a truck changed lanes. Apparantly his second car after he smashed up his first. Kids dont learn or parents ?!?
Old 15th March 2012, 14:22   #10679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Just got news of four RV college engineering kids in a swift crashed on NICE road (Bangalore) this morning, and one girl died on the spot!! May her soul RIP.

Hear the kid driving was doing 120+ and panicked when a truck changed lanes. Apparantly his second car after he smashed up his first. Kids dont learn or parents ?!?
I would say parents are at fault here. Going by the temperament of the kid, he shouldn't be allowed to drive at all for a long time. He is playing with other peoples lives here.
Old 15th March 2012, 15:00   #10680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek_ch View Post
I would say parents are at fault here. Going by the temperament of the kid, he shouldn't be allowed to drive at all for a long time. He is playing with other peoples lives here.
and got one killed too..

what's with kids and speed these days? got a death wish or something? so many accidents reported in the news involving teenagers; lives lost families shattered. makes me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks