Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2012, 23:41   #10801
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
This morning saw a KA 04 registered Black Skoda Laura rear ended a Local Tata Indicab opposite Wipro, Financial District, Hyderabad. The damage to the Indicab looked pretty bad as the boot door was wedged in and the bumper looked pasted to the rear metal enforcements. Skoda seemed to have a broken front grill and a bent hood. No leaks or broken head lamps. Could not click pics.

The traffic on that stretch is crazy as vehicles tend to accelerate on those straight sloping roads, they forget the surroundings and people. BHPians using these roads please be careful on this stretch and spread awareness.
True. This part is junction with four roads intersecting. But its surprising that most of the drivers simply speed past regardless of this. And most of the autos and cabs do not even bother to take the roundabout! A dangerous place indeed.
Old 5th April 2012, 08:30   #10802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Saw this Alto lying with all four wheels up on the Ankamaly - Perumbavoor stretch of MC Road today. Fate of occupants is not known.
The reflection of your speaker cover was mistaken by me as the braking line of the car and I was trying to analyse what must have happened !!!
Old 5th April 2012, 08:45   #10803
BHPian

Really bad accident. May the souls rest in peace.
Hard to believe that on a four lane highway, Innova was travelling in the wrong direction. Anyone has more details on the exact cause of the mishap?
Old 5th April 2012, 08:58   #10804
BHPian

Another one at Koilandy yesterday evening. Five people in a family lost their lives when the car they were travelling collided with a bus.

Kerala News - ??????????????????? ??????????????? ??? ???????????? ?????????? ??????? - India, World News - Mathrubhumi Newspaper Edition

(Could not find a link in English)
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 10:51   #10805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
(Could not find a link in English)
Here it is. Horrific.

Five of a family die in Koyilandy accident - The Times of India
Old 5th April 2012, 13:43   #10806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I have seen (including myself) that chances of concentration lapse are more when you are about to reach the destination and more if one know the roads very well.
Very true. It's normal I guess to be either one of the following when approaching the destination on long drives

- Concentration lapse
- Desperation to reach the destination quickly. Frustration at traffic, hold-ups etc.

It's best to go slower as we approach the destination just to be certain that we'll get there.

RIP to the deceased.
Old 6th April 2012, 00:55   #10807
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Very true. It's normal I guess to be either one of the following when approaching the destination on long drives

- Concentration lapse
- Desperation to reach the destination quickly. Frustration at traffic, hold-ups etc.

It's best to go slower as we approach the destination just to be certain that we'll get there.

RIP to the deceased.
Studies in US (recalling read almost 8-10 years back) shows that more than 75% of accidents happen within 6 miles of origin or destination
Old 6th April 2012, 21:52   #10808
BHPian

Saw a Tbhp-ian involved in an accident today at Signature Tower signal (on the Sector 14 side) in Gurgaon.

Was a silver Palio and from the looks of it, he hit a tricycle cart while taking an U-Turn. Did not seem too serious, the guy on the cart seemed to have bruises and was in a state of extreme shock.

Anyone have any update / exact details?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg  

Old 7th April 2012, 13:16   #10809
Zed
BHPian

Im amazed when people are surprised that a particular make or model is damaged beyond recognition when involved in an accident. Sure some vehicles have more structural integrity over others but at the end of the day, a head on crash with a truck brings into play tremendous forces that even the best of active \ passive safety aids and thickness of metal may not resist.
And I cannot recall how many time Ive been told that its not important to buckle up in city traffic since driving speeds are low. I have a standard response to this argument - How would one feel if one ran as fast as one could into a wall? Its only 10 - 15kmph max but wouldnt it hurt & arent cracked bones \ sprained tissues likely? So why are many of us under the illusion that 40 kmph is 'slow' ?
Zed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 13:49   #10810
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
And I cannot recall how many time Ive been told that its not important to buckle up in city traffic since driving speeds are low. I have a standard response to this argument - How would one feel if one ran as fast as one could into a wall? Its only 10 - 15kmph max but wouldnt it hurt & arent cracked bones \ sprained tissues likely? So why are many of us under the illusion that 40 kmph is 'slow' ?
Rightly said, I remind myself of how much it hurts when I bump my head into an overhead obstruction or stub my toe, to convince myself to wear a helmet on a quick shopping errand nearby (sometimes I still don't though, I must admit). And while we might comfort ourself thinking we wont be driving fast or exceed 15kmph, the other guy might be at 100kmph when he slams in to you ...

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 7th April 2012 at 13:51.
Old 7th April 2012, 14:16   #10811
Senior - BHPian

Insane incident - RIP biker
Old 7th April 2012, 22:11   #10812
BHPian

Gives me shivers. Who would think that a double decker would fall out of no where. Its terrible. May the soul rest in peace.

Saw this Pajero at the workshop in Chandigarh.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc09861res.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc09863res.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc09864res.jpg  

Old 8th April 2012, 05:14   #10813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed
Im amazed when people are surprised that a particular make or model is damaged beyond recognition when involved in an accident. Sure some vehicles have more structural integrity over others but at the end of the day, a head on crash with a truck brings into play tremendous forces that even the best of active \ passive safety aids and thickness of metal may not resist.
Totally agree on that. Consider this:
Momentum= mass x velocity.

Now you can imagine for an average car, weighing 1000kg, at a speed of 25 km/hr, the momentum would be huge...
Old 8th April 2012, 12:25   #10814
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Another day, two more Car accidents in Mumbai:

Businessman rams car into 11 in busy Ghatkopar Market - The Times of India

The person started the car & by mistake pressed the Accelerator without knowing that Car was already in first gear. As it is a very busy Ghatkopar Market area, a seven year old girl is critically injured & 10 other escaped with minor injuries. Luckily no one is dead in this accident.

And here goes another one:

One killed as 'neta' drives car into crowd - The Times of India

This one is in Kandivali East where a Driver lost control of his vehicle & rammed a crowd into a gathering of people. One person is confirmed dead in spot & three others are critically injured. There are rumours that driver is a Politicain, who fled the accident site. Now police is taking to indentify the accused. It is strange, in other accidents police is able to trace the accused in matter of hours, but here as the accused is a politician, police has not traced the driver even after 14 hours.

Thanks,
Old 8th April 2012, 13:08   #10815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
We keep talking about people driving on the wrong side of the 4 lane highway, if this is what has caused this accident,..
The road on which truck is standing doesn't look like four lane.
If its four lane, isn't there a yellow line dividing the road in centre ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks