Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 23:17   #10876
Zed
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Thanks GTO, noopster - I guess there is no such thing as a healthy debate on the pro's and con's of aggresive behaviour in general and road rage in particular. The funny thing is that 9 out of 10 drivers in India switch roles, seamlessly I must add, on regular basis from perpetrator to victim and back and forth. When someone wants to overtake me, the 'idiot' is always driving too fast and agressively and when I want to get past someone the 'idiot' is slow and does not know how to drive. A majority of drivers seem obvious to the middle path - the whole 'do unto other what you expect others to do' thinggy.
Zed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 23:45   #10877
BHPian

Came across this horrible crashed car pic on facebook dont know when, where and hot it happened
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-534784_288545294561831_197657883650573_612768_34327258_n.jpg  

Old 13th April 2012, 00:14   #10878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportygellar
Came across this horrible crashed car pic on facebook dont know when, where and hot it happened
With the cat on the hood?
Is it delhi?
I hope its not the one I think it is.. ..
Old 14th April 2012, 10:27   #10879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportygellar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
With the cat on the hood?
Is it delhi?
I hope its not the one I think it is.. ..
This happened in Kerala ,
I have a suspicion that this XF is from trivandrum, there is a white XF with hood ornament in trivandrum

@Sportgellar - You should have posted this pic in Super-Cars & Exotic Imports Crashes in India thread
Old 14th April 2012, 11:47   #10880
Senior - BHPian

Almost every morning, Delhi wakes up to a car crash that happened at night.

Last Night, a 23 year old hit the divider near the Laxman Public School near Hauz Khas / Panchsheel on Outer Ring Road.

Sensationalist newspaper reports claim that he was "pushing the car to the limits at 130 kph". Firstly I do not believe an ounce of speed reconstruction of Delhi Traffic Police and the media (the guy who wrote will probably not know how many metres in a second does a car doing 130 kph travel). Not that 130 kph is the limits of the Corolla either.

I am not defending the guy. He made a mistake by not driving sanely. He lost his car for that. He made a bigger mistake by not wearing his seat belt. He lost his life for that. His friend sitting next to him was wearing hers, she survived.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 18:13   #10881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I am not defending the guy. He made a mistake by not driving sanely. He lost his car for that. He made a bigger mistake by not wearing his seat belt. He lost his life for that. His friend sitting next to him was wearing hers, she survived.
The girl must be really lucky. Even unbuckled driver can get thrown around and injure the buckled passengers, and the risk is higher when the car is toppling!!
Old 15th April 2012, 00:54   #10882
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

I came across this accident on the new underpass opposite Novotel on O.R.R Bellandur rd when returning from office around 2am on Thursday.

I didnt ask around as to what happened but it looks like the Indica was on the wrong side and its right side slammed into the right side of the truck and it spun around.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120413_014612.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120413_014656.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120413_014830.jpg

================================================== ================================================

This happned about 30 minutes back on Kammanhalli main road right in front of Sena Vihar. I was about to turn right at the signal when suddenly I heard a high rpm whine then collective screaming and crash! All the 4-5 guys in the car were drunk. I shudder to think what if an innocent pedestrian or child resident of the complex was standing at the spot!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120415_000621.png

The entire left wheel is ripped off and perpendicular to the axle, the body work is crushed. Oil spill underneath the body and spreading on to the road. Both front and rear axles damaged. It jumped the large concrete blocks of the footpath and rammed into a no parking sign before it stopped.

Sorry for the poor quality pic - the flash worked thrice but one of the guys came in the path thrice, then the 4th time there was no juice left for the flash.

Note From Team BHP Support-Team: Consecutive posts are discouraged on the forum. Please use the 'EDIT' function within 30 minutes in order to supplement your post with more information/pictures, if and when the need arises. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th April 2012 at 01:20. Reason: See note in post :)
Old 15th April 2012, 10:55   #10883
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I came across this accident on the new underpass opposite Novotel on O.R.R Bellandur rd when returning from office around 2am on Thursday.

I didnt ask around as to what happened but it looks like the Indica was on the wrong side and its right side slammed into the right side of the truck and it spun around.
If the Indica was indeed on the wrong side of the road, which is quite a normal sight, it was only a matter of time before it met its match. Both would have been driving fast, and may have thought the other person would swerve to make space.
Old 15th April 2012, 21:13   #10884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
If the Indica was indeed on the wrong side of the road, which is quite a normal sight, it was only a matter of time before it met its match. Both would have been driving fast, and may have thought the other person would swerve to make space.
Both side lanes are so narrow that you cannot have 2 cars travel side by side without either one scrapping the sides of the road/doors.
And I for one would not give way to a vehicle travelling opposite in the wrong lane. Serves the moron Indica right, however the tempo had to suffer unnecessarily.
Old 16th April 2012, 02:23   #10885
BHPian

This is a horrible accident and mistake by the bikers. This is why the Vijayawada highway is very dangerous.

Bike hit the Bus - Dangerous Accident-Two men Dead - Video Dailymotion
Old 16th April 2012, 11:33   #10886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post

This underpass is at Kadubeesanahalli on ORR. The indica hasnt come on the wrong side. The underpass is currently open to traffic on both the sides. This arrangement is only for a few months until the underpass on the otherside gets ready for operation.

If we observe closely, the bigger vehicle, possibly a truck must have stopped all of a sudden and the TATA 407 and TATA indica which were trailing the bigger vehicle couldnt stop in time and got damaged. The bigger vehicle is not seen in this picture. Either he must have escaped or must have parked it at the exit of this underpass.

Another possibility could be, the 407 hit a bigger vehicle from the opposite lane and the indica couldnt apply breaks in time and rear ended the 407.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:04   #10887
BHPian

3 of a family succumbs to injuries en-route to their home in Kolkata returning after a holiday from Digha. I myself have used this stretch and the roads themselves are pretty good though two laned. Recent relaying of these roads allow folks to hit 80-100 KMPH easily on these state highways now however there is a good amount of local traffic on these roads that one needs to be careful of. Also its a winding road through rural areas with some blind spots which was one of the reasons for this unfortunate mishap.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-16_04_2012_022_028.jpg

Another thing I noted was the i10 they were traveling was not of the high end variant (steel rimmed wheels) so might have been missing ABS and airbag options. Probably the missing airbags might have prevented the death of the front occupants. I don't know but it is really high time the government started to make airbags and ABS mandatory on passenger cars as most of our highways allow us to drive at pretty good speeds and cars without safety options are absolute death traps.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 12:22   #10888
Senior - BHPian

Guard killed after Police Constable loses control of car:

The incident occurred on Andheri-Ghatkopar Link Road in Saki Naka around 4.15am on Sunday when constable Shivaji Borade, during a nightly round-up, reportedly lost control of his Maruti car and rammed it into the generator that was kept beside the road for Metro work, said the police. While Gopinath Shinde (52) was crushed to death on the spot, his colleague, Bajan Kewat (50), has been hospitalized with abdomen and chest injuries.

Detailed article:
Guard killed after cop loses control of car - The Times of India

Picture of the Car:
on page 2 of today's (16.04.2012) Times of India ePaper:
e-paper Sign-in

Thanks,
Old 16th April 2012, 12:43   #10889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post

Another thing I noted was the i10 they were traveling was not of the high end variant (steel rimmed wheels) so might have been missing ABS and airbag options.
May their Souls rest in peace..

Can't conclude the variants from the steel wheels because i10 does not offer alloy wheels in any of its variants! But upon careful observation, I believe I saw black door handles, indicating it might be a base variant.
Could you put some light on the trees blocking the road as mentioned in the news article? Is this really true?
Old 16th April 2012, 13:13   #10890
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
3 of a family succumbs to injuries en-route to their home in Kolkata returning after a holiday from Digha. I myself have used this stretch and the roads themselves are pretty good though two laned. Recent relaying of these roads allow folks to hit 80-100 KMPH easily on these state highways now however there is a good amount of local traffic on these roads that one needs to be careful of. Also its a winding road through rural areas with some blind spots which was one of the reasons for this unfortunate mishap.
Very sad news. The stretch after Nandakumar is quite risky particularly due to the buses on that route who drive like crazy.

Most Viewed