Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2012, 14:00   #10906
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

9 people died in an accident on Salem - Erode road today morning. As per news, a bus head on collided with a van.
Old 19th April 2012, 14:41   #10907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
9 people died in an accident on Salem - Erode road today morning. As per news, a bus head on collided with a van.
Isn't there a median on this highway ? Did the bus jump the median to collide head-on ?
Old 19th April 2012, 15:36   #10908
Senior - BHPian

Not much details have come out yet. As per the initial reports, the mishap occurred when the driver of the van lost control of the vehicle after one of the tyres burst! I am not sure, but I think the stretch where the accident happened, between Rasipuram and Tiruchengode is 2 lane undivided.

Here is the news link: (Courtesy NDTV)
Eight killed in van-bus collision at Namakkal
Old 19th April 2012, 15:45   #10909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisasa View Post
It is sad that the people concerned do not want to enforce a safety rule that might help save many lives.

Not effective at all. The impact beams are not fixed properly and sometimes it is fixed onto the body or bumper. -- like the bull bar. So in a crash it will not offer any resistance and will be taken out instantly. In fact, the trucks and buses should have under run protection all around them. So it would be good if the body is built as a low one.
I take this route through Cubbon park in Bangalore on the way home everyday. And right at a place with no lights there is this truck that has been there for the last few days. Not only does it not have any impact beams, it does not even have reflectors of any kind. I pass that way around 7-8 in the night everyday and wonder what would happen if someone was to come onto this road at high speed and bang into that truck....this is possibly a truck hired by the BBMP or some other civic body to take away garbage from Cubbon Park, or maybe from the Stadium due to IPL....
Old 19th April 2012, 16:38   #10910
BHPian

Spotted this banged up Innova doing around 40kmph on Varthur Road.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120418_175449_27.jpg  

Old 19th April 2012, 17:07   #10911
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed that an Innova's state after a crash is really ghastly. Many times, in this thread itself, I have seen badly mangled Innovas. In the above pic, we can see the whole body till the C pillar has vanished.

Now, I am aware of crumple zones, but this kind of "crumpling" is not too safe according to me. I wonder whether Innova is a safe car after all.
Old 19th April 2012, 17:33   #10912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I have noticed that an Innova's state after a crash is really ghastly. Many times, in this thread itself, I have seen badly mangled Innovas. In the above pic, we can see the whole body till the C pillar has vanished. Now, I am aware of crumple zones, but this kind of "crumpling" is not too safe according to me. I wonder whether Innova is a safe car after all.
When you want a big fuel efficient car then one has to go for 'compromised' build (meanng thin gauge metal). Crumple Zones: depends whether one wants it to crumple in a 'concertina' fashion of look crumpled biscuit packet after its been through a shunt. Sign of the times.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 17:42   #10913
Senior - BHPian

saw this crumpled Alto parked in front of Madiwala police station. the A pillar on the passenger side was more crushed than the one on the driver side. the front and the left front panels were crushed too. couldn't have ended well.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_5906.jpg
Old 19th April 2012, 19:55   #10914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I have noticed that an Innova's state after a crash is really ghastly. Many times, in this thread itself, I have seen badly mangled Innovas. In the above pic, we can see the whole body till the C pillar has vanished.

Now, I am aware of crumple zones, but this kind of "crumpling" is not too safe according to me. I wonder whether Innova is a safe car after all.
When you see the rash, arrogant and aggressive way these vehicles are often driven, it is no wonder that, when the inevitable accidents happen, the damage is bad. My hunch is, point the finger at the drivers as being unsafe, not the car.
Old 19th April 2012, 21:12   #10915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
Isn't there a median on this highway ? Did the bus jump the median to collide head-on ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Not much details have come out yet. As per the initial reports, the mishap occurred when the driver of the van lost control of the vehicle after one of the tyres burst! I am not sure, but I think the stretch where the accident happened, between Rasipuram and Tiruchengode is 2 lane undivided.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Here is the Picture of the Same. As per reports it was not due to tyre burst. The Van Driver was carrying 30 People and while trying to overtake a Bus, lost control, jumped the divider and crashed with another bus coming in the opposite direction. 13 People Killed 17 Injured. One Passenger was from the Bus. Probably the Van Driver was speeding. The Bus was a Karnataka State Bus.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpg  

Old 19th April 2012, 21:50   #10916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Here is the Picture of the Same.
I think you got the picture wrong. this accident happened on 13th April near Puduchathram.
check this news report The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : Five killed in road accident
Old 19th April 2012, 21:51   #10917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
When you see the rash, arrogant and aggressive way these vehicles are often driven, it is no wonder that, when the inevitable accidents happen, the damage is bad. My hunch is, point the finger at the drivers as being unsafe, not the car.
What I actually meant is that the extent of damage visible on the Innova is much higher than that of other cars.
Old 19th April 2012, 22:48   #10918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I take this route through Cubbon park in Bangalore on the way home everyday. And right at a place with no lights there is this truck that has been there for the last few days. Not only does it not have any impact beams, it does not even have reflectors of any kind. I pass that way around 7-8 in the night everyday and wonder what would happen if someone was to come onto this road at high speed and bang into that truck....this is possibly a truck hired by the BBMP or some other civic body to take away garbage from Cubbon Park, or maybe from the Stadium due to IPL....
Its not just trucks. I have seen quite a few field tractors with trailer behind them travel on road which creates the same damage as a truck if crashed onto. These vehicles are normally found transporting labourers. In one of the accidents that I have seen in the ORR in Hyderabad, a Santro car crashed onto one of these around dusk(they move literally invisible in the dark) and the two people in the front seat had an instant death. The car went straight underneath the trailer and the cabin was crushed. I had reached minutes after the accident and was horriified at the sight. In another instance, I was taking a turn at a T road where there were no streetlights. I had almost stopped, ensured that no vehicles were approaching by checking for headlights and just when I was about to go ahead, I spotted something huge move just in front. A trailer parked in the T road had just started to move. This had no lights, no reflectors and the tractor had no headlights. It was invisible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Nearly met the Creator some 3 years ago, when travelling with a friend in his Getz. He took a turn on the highway too quick, and there was a very slow moving truck on our lane, right in front. No under-run protection. I remember some very hard braking. Came within a couple of feet of the truck. Shut my eyes hard. Just when I thought it was going to be a very painful death, the right tyre of our car burst and the car swerved right, crashing into the middle of a Montero coming from the opposite side. Both cars took extensive damages to the tune of lakhs, but thankfully nobody was hurt, owing to seatbelts, airbags, et al. But we were so shaken, the effect took quite long to wear off.
That must have been quite a horrifying accident! Ghosh!! Was very lucky to have come off without a scratch. Safety equipments too played their part.
Old 20th April 2012, 10:09   #10919
BHPian

My colleague told me that a BMTC bus ran over an Army personnel near Domlur/HAL. Anybody has updates on this?
Old 20th April 2012, 11:15   #10920
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
My colleague told me that a BMTC bus ran over an Army personnel near Domlur/HAL. Anybody has updates on this?
I passed by that area at 10.00 AM. Didn't see anything indicating an accident had taken place?

Most Viewed