Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2012, 15:59   #11416
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Speed at time of impact? Please elaborate dr chill.
Old 26th June 2012, 16:07   #11417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr chill View Post
Truck with lots of fog lights on a foggy day coming from the opposite direction and this is what happened to my one month old EON. No major injuries !!
Were you blinded by the lights? How did this happen? Details please Dr. Chill!

Glad that you came out without any major injuries. How is your left arm feeling? Looking at the steering wheel, it appears as though you held on to it, bending it out of shape at the time of impact ...
Old 26th June 2012, 16:22   #11418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Truck with lots of fog lights on a foggy day coming from the opposite direction and this is what happened to my one month old EON. No major injuries !!
Ouch that's a bad shunt. But happy to know that you did not suffer major injuries.

SInce you mention the accident was caused by a truck with lots of lights coming in the opposite direction, it is obvious that you saw the truck. Just guessing whether you ended up running into a stationary object which was not visible due to the blinding lights of the truck and the fog?
Old 26th June 2012, 16:40   #11419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's sad. I hope you and occupants were safe.

I guess this must have happened in winters as I don't think there is any fog in Delhi these days (mornings)?

Please share more details about the accident like place etc.
Old 26th June 2012, 16:43   #11420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
That's sad. I hope you and occupants were safe.

I guess this must have happened in winters as I don't think there is any fog in Delhi these days (mornings)?

Please share more details about the accident like place etc.
I was also thinking about this.
The people in the pictures are wearing shorts and tees......
Old 26th June 2012, 18:11   #11421
BHPian

I have shifted to Nagaland one month back.
It seems the Truck had around 8 additional fog lamps,which blinded him on a blind curve - braked - skidded -hit a wall
Right hand of the driver(my brother) is swollen,no injuries whatsoever on the left hand (dont know how?)
Speed at the time of impact must be around 100km/h on an upslope
Its summer here and it rains most of the time, hence the fog, tee and shorts
All three occupants had only minor injuries(Crumple zones to be thanked)
Old 26th June 2012, 18:18   #11422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr chill
I have shifted to Nagaland one month back.
It seems the Truck had around 8 additional fog lamps,which blinded him on a blind curve - braked - skidded -hit a wall
Right hand of the driver(my brother) is swollen,no injuries whatsoever on the left hand (dont know how?)
Speed at the time of impact must be around 100km/h on an upslope
Its summer here and it rains most of the time, hence the fog, tee and shorts
All three occupants had only minor injuries(Crumple zones to be thanked)
You guys did 100 kmph around a blind curve uphill in an Eon in rain and fog, crashed against a wall, and still came out with only a few bruises. That was your lucky day!
Please don't tempt fate again.
one-77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 18:39   #11423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
You guys did 100 kmph around a blind curve uphill in an Eon in rain and fog, crashed against a wall, and still came out with only a few bruises. That was your lucky day!
Please don't tempt fate again.
+1. The pictures show really bad crash.

Apart from being safer, EON proves to be performance vehicle. 100 km/hr upslope 3 ppl. Another pocket rocket?
Old 26th June 2012, 19:34   #11424
BHPian

Witnessed a Vento crashed on the side platform of the highway right hand side, none injured, the car was positioned two wheels on road and two on the platform.

1. Right Tyre flat,
2. Fluid/radiator leak,
3. Front bumper, fender dis lodged and damaged.

The guys were doing easily 90 plus when they got into this and were racing right to left ruthlessly for more than 40 mins when in front of us. what could have actually happened ?

Does the vento have a protective cover at the bottom, if by chance the bottom gets scrapped severly will the under cover not protect the axle?? why the fluid leak at all, maybe from the frontal crash ??
Old 26th June 2012, 22:50   #11425
BHPian

I was not driving the car and i have no idea as to why he was driving at that speed.i am just thankful that they are all safe...
Old 26th June 2012, 23:53   #11426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I feel safer in a car with a more powerful engine as the power will make it easier to complete overtaking manouvers and get out of tricky situations.
Why to take such an overtake, in the first case?
Old 27th June 2012, 03:00   #11427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello,

27 year old son of Tamil Nadu state minister for food and cooperation Shellur K Raju died early on Monday of injuries sustained earlier in a road accident on NSC Bose Road.

He was riding his Enfield Bullet & lost control of the bike while negotiating a speed breaker. He was not wearing a helmet and suffered severe injuries to the head & in the chest.

Full article here: Minister's son dies in road accident - The Times of India

Bikers, wonder how many accidents will pass & how many bikers will lose their lives due to not wearing helmets. Please ensure to wear helmets all the time while riding your Bikes.

Thanks,
And I wonder how many accidents will pass and how many people will loose their lives due to this mad notion that speed breakers make things safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Why to take such an overtake, in the first case?
No offence ment, but you sound like my parents. They keep advising anybody who cares to listen that speed kills and bla bla. And I cannot even count the number of occasions I have experienced where a quick getaway/overtake has saved the day for me. And yet it is my pop who has a long and colorful automobile bash-up history and mine is just dull and almost event-less.

Anyway, this might be going off topic here.

Inference: Slow driving DOES NOT automatically equate to safe driving.

Last edited by Raccoon : 27th June 2012 at 03:04.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 03:41   #11428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Inference: Slow driving DOES NOT automatically equate to safe driving.
My point is about taking a quick overtake. With an oncoming vehicle(be it a loaded truck or a tractor hauling a huge load) it is best avoided to wait and overtake after it has passed, rather than relying on the engine bhp to get that bullet time.

I did not mention slow driving = safe. Slow speed drivers are also a prime cause of accidents.
ramzsys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 09:20   #11429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
My point is about taking a quick overtake. With an oncoming vehicle(be it a loaded truck or a tractor hauling a huge load) it is best avoided to wait and overtake after it has passed, rather than relying on the engine bhp to get that bullet time.

I did not mention slow driving = safe. Slow speed drivers are also a prime cause of accidents.
When we have to overtake slow moving vehicles we base our decision to overtake based on certain facts and few mental calculations like whether the road is wide enough, whether any vehicle is coming from the opposite side, speed of the vehicle we are planning to overtake, speed of oncoming vehicle etc... Based on this data and the confidence we have in our vehicle's ability to accelerate let's say we make the decision that it is perfectly safe to overtake.

Now halfway through this overtaking maneuver these calculations can go awry. Suddenly the ego of the driver being overtaken may wake up and he may step on the gas to make it harder for you to pass. The oncoming vehicle could speed up for some weird reason like that. The driver of the vehicle behind you ( who you probably just overtook a while back) could slot himself directly behind the vehicle you are trying to overtake just to needle you. Believe me these things happen on our roads. In such tricky situations having those reserve horses under your hood can be a life saver.
Santoshbhat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 13:38   #11430
BHPian

Bhatkal: Thirty-year-old Prasanna Anil Naik was killed when his motorcycle collided with a truck, near the SBI ATM here on Monday June 25. The victim was the son of a police Constable here. Prasanna died on the spot. He sustained severe head injuries and was declared dead on the spot. Later the body was taken to the government hospital for a post-mortem examination.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-biker.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-biker2.jpg

More pics and story: Mangalorean.Com- Serving Mangaloreans Around The World!

The incident took place around 10.45 pm when Prasanna was returning home after collecting a takeaway food from a restaurant.
The driver of the truck has been arrested and a case filed in the town police station here.

Mangalore, Jun 27: A private bus plying from State Bank in the city to Talapady met with an accident in front of Kanachur Mill at Kalappu here on Wednesday June 27, resulting in injuries to several passengers and the driver.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bus1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bus3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bus4.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bus5.jpg

Mangalore: 22 Injured as Bus Rolls off Road at Kalappu

Mangalorean.Com- Serving Mangaloreans Around The World!

The driver of the bus was competing with another bus on route no. 42 and had gone far on the edge of the road. The soft mud gave way and the bus rolled off the road and crashed into the compound wall of Kanachur wood industry's plant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks