Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2012, 12:47   #11461
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDJ View Post
Hightime these public vehicles are fitted with speed governors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
And cell phone signal jammers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Signal jammers could block signals of the passengers' phones also.

Instead transport corporations could install some kind black boxes with video surveillance which would keep an eye on the drivers so to speak.
Speed governors, signal jammers... these are all technical solutions to what is essentially a behavioural problem - they wouldn't work, because they cannot alter behaviour. Apart from the issue mentioned (passengers will get affected too), signal jammers would only stop calls. What about people fiddling with the phones to say, change the music track currently playing? Similarly, speed governors on MTC buses will perhaps stop MTC drivers from driving rashly, but then what about SETC buses? If we insist on speed governors on all buses, then the business model of these outfits go for a toss (who'd take a bus to reach wherever at 40 kmph?). No, none of these measures would work.

The solution has to be at the people level, with increased awareness and increased enforcement. There was a lady on TV yesterday (who was a passenger on the ill-fated bus) who was going on about the driver being on call. I hope the next time she sees a driver doing the same, she takes the phone off him and throws it out of the window.

I think - keeping meticulous track records of the drivers, and punishing them (stopping promotions, pay hikes) based on such incidents are measures MTC can implement. Certification and re-certification every so often (over and above the regular driving license, which is a joke) should be mandatory. Organizational support for errant drivers (paying their fines, bailing them out from MACT cases etc.) should stop. Insurance companies should be able to refuse own-damage payments and also recover third-party payments from the owner if the driver is found driving negligently. Ticket checkers need to be also entrusted with the additional responsibility of ensuring careful driving. The idea is to have incentives for good driving and corresponding disincentives for bad driving.

Above all, the travelling public are entrusting their lives to the driver - they ought to understand the risks their driver is taking and need to be able to at least report the driver for dangerous driving.
binand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 13:45   #11462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
There was a good article in TOI recently.

Without empowering or providing them with proper tools we expect the poor policeman to police our country and our unruly people.

No one follows rules through inherent discipline. We take advantage and squeeze and trickle through gaps .......Think on it!.....
Basically we need to be governed. But we are not.
Police have to enforce rules, there are not enough policemen around.
For smooth flow of traffic, we must keep roads clear, also of pedestrians.
To keep pedestrians on the footpath we must have clear footbaths. No cobblers, no, milk booths etc. To cross roads safely, we must have zebra crossing.
Recently I was at a private function in one of the hall in YB Chavan Centre. At the same tme a program was organised in the main auditorium about Sant Tukaram. One guest was the chief minister. There were about 30 traffic policemen loitering about the complex. And then the police say they have only 2000 odd traffic cops.
At night at Kemps corner the juction is like the wild west after 9.30PM, except when there is to be a VIP passing by. The cops will be there, wait for the convoy to pass and immediately go away.
So, to regulate traffic, we need for the government to stop misusing traffic cops, clear foorpaths, and paint all the road lines as required, stop lines, center lines and zebra crossing. And then enforce rules, use CC cameras to help.
The authorities managed to enforce the seat belt law, it is quite well followed. Does anyone else know of any other rules being enforced so well? Not even the helmet law is being strictly followed.
We need governance to enforce rules, but the authorities themselves are not serious about this.
My take on this.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 14:40   #11463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Basically we need to be governed. But we are not.
We need governance to enforce rules, but the authorities themselves are not serious about this.
Hello Harit,

You have made a good point.

But don't you think that afterall why do we need to be governed?

I mean:
Why should Helmets / Seat Belts rule be enforced?
Why should people be forcefully made to drive safely?
Why our Car Drivers drive as if they are the only ones on the road?
... and many such instances.

I feel a lot goes upon our respect for others. I am sorry I might sound cynical, but despite our rich cultural heritage, I find people on streets in India lack respects for others. You go to any part of the country, & people are always ready to throw bad words, ready to hit you at smallest provocation.

There is a serious need to impart good values to children while they are in schools. But it seems we have failed in this regard & are paying the price by having one of the highest road fatalities in World.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 15:21   #11464
BHPian

Udupi, Jun 28: Over 20 persons have been injured in a head-on collision between an express bus and a tanker on national highway 66 at Pangala on Thursday June 28.

Udupi: Over 20 Injured in Bus-Tanker Collision, Traffic Choked
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc3.jpg  

Old 28th June 2012, 16:37   #11465
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Speed governors, signal jammers... these are all technical solutions to what is essentially a behavioural problem - they wouldn't work, because they cannot alter behaviour
Totally agree. We take comfort in the fact that these professionals - bus drivers, taxi drivers - are experts and know the limits of the machines they operate even when they blatantly violate traffic regulations. Disregarding traffic signals, cell phone usage, rash driving - 'He has a uniform so he probably knows what he's doing though it seems dangerous to me'.. ..'I dont want to get into an unpleasant conversation so Ill let him carry on driving like a maniac - my desitantion is only 20 mins away'. The point im trying to make is that unless better sense and awareness prevails on the part of all stakeholders - travelling public included - there is no effective solution.
Old 28th June 2012, 17:01   #11466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Harit,

You have made a good point.

But don't you think that afterall why do we need to be governed?

I mean:
Why should Helmets / Seat Belts rule be enforced?
Why should people be forcefully made to drive safely?
Why our Car Drivers drive as if they are the only ones on the road?
... and many such instances.
......I find people on streets in India lack respects for others. You go to any part of the country, & people are always ready to throw bad words, ready to hit you at smallest provocation.

There is a serious need to impart good values to children while they are in schools. But it seems we have failed in this regard & are paying the price by having one of the highest road fatalities in World. Thanks,
All what you say above is true, so many why's?
Lack of awareness, education among the people, lack of interest by the authorities.
For a lark, just ask the uninitiated what would happen if you were driving @ 60kmph and crashed. Very few can imagine the damage. Then show them that video which was put up a few days ago where the girl crashes into the lady driving. No one will believe you. Groups travelling in SUV's still don't belt up.
Do you know that in Ahmedabad only the driver wears a seatbelt, it is supposed to be the rule!!! I was told.
Many on the highway don't wear a seatbelt because the cops are not watching properly. The people are just not convinced that it is dangerous without a seat belt for themselves.

There are two problems, lack of education, and habit to beat the system/rules even at ones own peril.

The para which I hi-lighted in your quote now goes into the psychological field where I am no expert. But I would tend to cite the example of the recent London riots and state that people are frustrated, pent up, and release pent up energy at the first opportunity. So, for example we beat up drivers who have caused an accident. Or we riot and loot when power fails like many decades ago in New York. Its not only an Indian issue, its just that we in India get more opportunities to let of steam.

Driving in India is generally stressfull when we don't follow rules. Stress adds to the damage we cause and rage we like to release.

You ask so many questions for which I don't have detailed answers. I don't ride bikes and don't wear a helmet

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 28th June 2012 at 17:06.
harit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 22:23   #11467
BHPian

Today while travelling on the bus i noticed somethings.
1. Certain bikers have a tendency to behave as idiots. At a t intersection they come from the left of the bus to go to the right whereas they could have stayed behind the bus and to the right itself. Without risking their life and subsequently the bus driver's life who'll get beaten up if anything happens to the biker because of his own stupidity. Another one almost falling off the bike while trying to wear the helmet on.seeing cops.

2. Certain drivers have no sense of time space and dimension. A maruti 800 overtakes the bus from the left side, even after seeing there is a truck ahead of the bus and then gets stuck right at the barrier that has been put up by the police. Hmm was the driver blind?

3. Certain pedestrians have no regards of their own safety. A mother with a child crossing the road even when seeing the signal is green and the bus is already moving. Another person crossing the road and almost getting hit by the bus. And some even have the tendency to play dare games. who can cross the road fastest before the bus hits?

4. Certain cyclists have a tendency to listen to music on high volume with earplugs. So they feel they are flying in the air above the road as they seem to twist and turn and then stall and fall on the road with their iPods or walkmans getting crushed in the wheels of a not so flying SUV.

I think even Freud wouldnt be able to explain the cause for such behaviour as described above. All i can say is i got a perspective of a bus drivers daily hassle. They have got the same problems as other car drivers but on a bigger scale. And i felt more often than not the bus driver isnt at fault in case of such road accidents. I wish i could video record these fools and put them up for the world to see.

Regards.
Old 29th June 2012, 10:34   #11468
BHPian

Don't know if this has been shared on this thread. But looks very scary.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-swift.jpg
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 10:40   #11469
Senior - BHPian

^ By the looks of it, it seems to be a parked car. So hopefully, no injuries.
Old 29th June 2012, 11:46   #11470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Don't know if this has been shared on this thread. But looks very scary.

Attachment 948624
Looks like the car was parked and the truck tried to avoid and climbed the curb, in the process toppled over.
But then what are the dug up mud and the stone debris near the rear wheel of the swift indicating? intriguing
Old 29th June 2012, 18:30   #11471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
Two accidents yesterday evening in Chennai, one in Medavakkam and the other in Pallikaranai (distance between the spots is less than 2 km). The first looked fatal which involved a small child (could be around 7 to 8 years old). When I was crossing the spot, people were covering the child with cardboards. After crossing the spot and moving towards Velacheri, I saw people carrying a man into an ambulance.
It was actually a class XII boy who was going to his friend's place in his bike and was hit by a MTC bus in Medavakkam.
Old 29th June 2012, 23:20   #11472
Senior - BHPian

There was a major accident at Shulagiri few hours back. Few lorries and cars were involved. Traffic is partially restored on Hosur-Krishnagiei stretch and reverse direction is in standstill.

Last edited by coolclouds : 29th June 2012 at 23:22.
Old 30th June 2012, 23:51   #11473
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Zen kiss the Verito and when the Verito guy was searching for signs. Nothing serious as the Zen was tailgating.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc-1.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 30th June 2012 at 23:52.
Old 1st July 2012, 00:07   #11474
BHPian

This is quite common in rest part of india. Here in Pune, it is very difficult to maintain your car without a scratch.. there are auto wallas, cycles & bikes waiting for you... Not to mention some sadistic guys.

I had my Vento bump banged twice on Pune Mumbai by pass.. first by a Ritz, then by a Santro.
Old 1st July 2012, 00:53   #11475
Senior - BHPian

In my books the very act of tailgating itself is serious and idiotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Saw this Zen kiss the Verito and when the Verito guy was searching for signs. Nothing serious as the Zen was tailgating.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks