Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2012, 19:02   #11551
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Spotted this Swift at Pratham Motors workshop, ORR, Bellandur an hour ago. The rear left side of the car was damaged too. According to a workshop guy, the occupants of the car were safe.
This is exactly how my swift looked like, two years before. It happened like this: I was trailing a lorry in a narrow stretch and the lorry stopped suddenly. He actually had stopped since the railway gate had got closed and there were many vehicles in front of this lorry. I also stopped my car. Since I didnt know the exact reason for stopping, I thought the driver must have parked the lorry. Got angry at the careless attitude of the driver and tried to cut the lane and steer ahead. Unfortunately, i was too close to the lorry and the metal guard which was invisible (due to the black paint) , ripped apart my left fender. That metal guard was supposed to protect smaller vehicles like mine from rear ending the lorry. But unfortunately it caused damage due to my negligence.

The total cost of repair was 13k and the insurance guys paid 10k and i paid 3k.
Old 11th July 2012, 19:10   #11552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I have seen Innovas in some ghastly accidents. I don't think it has anything to do with the car itself but the drivers who drive them.
The truck itself is in such a bad shape in the above picture.
At last! It is good to hear somebody else say this, but sad that anybody has to.
Old 11th July 2012, 22:06   #11553
Senior - BHPian

I met with an accident today. A speedy swift banged my car from behind when I was waiting at a red light. I was stationary for around 20 seconds when I heard loud screech of tyres and before i could raise my eyes to look behind the car hit me from behind. I was in neutral without my foot on the brakes. The impact was to strong that my car moved forward and stopped only after 10 feet inspite my braking hard. luckily I was at more than safe distance from the car in front and this saved the frontal damage.

When i got out of car I saw four youngsters in a Jalundher registered black swift. They just claimed that their braked didn't work while I am pretty sure that they were over-speeding. After a bit of discussions i moved on with their phone numbers with assurance that they will pay the balance amount after reimbursement from insurance company.

This is my car after the impact. The damage seems bad. Will know the actual scenario tomorrow when I will take her to the workshop.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120711-damaged.jpg  

Old 11th July 2012, 22:41   #11554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
My cousins son and mother passed away in this accident ! Because the bus driver came on the wrong side on a 2 lane road with dividers !
Mangalore: Two Killed on Spot in Car-Bus Collision at Jeppinamogeru
Everyone blames the driver. What about the passengers in the bus who were watching everything unfold. No one would have tried stopping the bus driver when he entered the wrong lane !
The way everyone is that no one cares as long as its not their own family
So sorry to hear this news. Please accept my condolences. This road is the highway leading to Kerala and 4 lane work is in progress from the last 1 year. The work speed is so slow that it may take another 10 years to complete. Meanwhile its a free for all on this road.
( My wife drives everyday to work and back on this road and almost every week she has a narrow escape from an accident )
Old 11th July 2012, 23:15   #11555
Senior - BHPian

Most Innova/Scorpio drivers think their car is Bugatti Veyron. If you hear mad honking and see flashing lights in your rear view mirror, 99 out of 100 cars, it will be a Scorp or Innova. Always in a tearing hurry. Driven mostly by ill-mannered loutish driver with front seat occupied by even more loutish poltician or some scum clad in white and bedecked with almost a kilogram of gold jewellery ( In AP ) and with an attitude that says the whole world is my dad's.
pgsagar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 01:37   #11556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik

This is exactly how my swift looked like, two years before. It happened like this: I was trailing a lorry in a narrow stretch and the lorry stopped suddenly. He actually had stopped since the railway gate had got closed and there were many vehicles in front of this lorry. I also stopped my car. Since I didnt know the exact reason for stopping, I thought the driver must have parked the lorry. Got angry at the careless attitude of the driver and tried to cut the lane and steer ahead. Unfortunately, i was too close to the lorry and the metal guard which was invisible (due to the black paint) , ripped apart my left fender. That metal guard was supposed to protect smaller vehicles like mine from rear ending the lorry.
Good thing is you escaped without injuries. But in this case, the rear left of the swift is damaged too. Probably another vehicle rear ended it after first frontal collision.
Old 12th July 2012, 01:44   #11557
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I met with an accident today...

...The damage seems bad. Will know the actual scenario tomorrow when I will take her to the workshop.
Ouch.

Looks like it doesn't pay even if you're the safest driver around. Glad you weren't hurt. That looks pretty bad. Well, just hope you get things sorted out and your car back from the workshop as good as new.

The fact that you left it in neutral might have ensured lesser damage, I suppose. Going by the more resistance you get when you have your brake pressed or handbrake on.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th July 2012 at 01:45.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 08:04   #11558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Ouch.

Looks like it doesn't pay even if you're the safest driver around. Glad you weren't hurt. That looks pretty bad. Well, just hope you get things sorted out and your car back from the workshop as good as new.

The fact that you left it in neutral might have ensured lesser damage, I suppose. Going by the more resistance you get when you have your brake pressed or handbrake on.
Well since his car was in neutral, what if a pedestrian would have come in front of the car as he mentioned he moved 10 ft further due to impact?

or

there could have been greater chances of the member's car being smashed from side due to the moving traffic.

IMO its always better to use brakes on stop signal. It was just his plain luck that none of the above mentioned things happened because on any other day things could have turned worse.

Last edited by ramneek009 : 12th July 2012 at 08:05.
Old 12th July 2012, 09:35   #11559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I met with an accident today. A speedy swift banged my car from behind when I was waiting at a red light.
Sad to hear this, hopefully damage can be repaired easily.
Good that you are safe and their was no major damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post

IMO its always better to use brakes on stop signal. It was just his plain luck that none of the above mentioned things happened because on any other day things could have turned worse.
I generally put gear in neutral, and apply handbrakes at signal. Is this safe practice?
Other thing is if a car hits you from behind when you have applied break, the damage can be greater.
Though applying handbrake should be better as its relatively weaker.
Old 12th July 2012, 11:00   #11560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post

I generally put gear in neutral, and apply handbrakes at signal. Is this safe practice?
Other thing is if a car hits you from behind when you have applied break, the damage can be greater.
Yes, handbrake should be the way to go.

There was a video doing rounds recently on facebook promoting the safe driving practices in which a lady gets killed as she gets hit by a neutral car which took a rear impact at the stop signal. I feel damage to the car is acceptable than loss of life any given day.
ramneek009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 11:12   #11561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do the same as you do but -

I think damage will be greater if your car was to in turn mow down a pedestrian. Even though it was not your fault, you might be arrested (i.e. become a scapegoat) and your car is very likely to be impounded.

Or

You could be pushed into traffic and be involved in a 2nd accident. Damage could be even greater in this case.

It's much easier to get the car repaired than get involved in any of the above.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 11:27   #11562
Senior - BHPian

The fact that you left it in neutral might have ensured lesser damage, I suppose. Going by the more resistance you get when you have your brake pressed or handbrake on.[/quote]

Quote:
Well since his car was in neutral, what if a pedestrian would have come in front of the car as he mentioned he moved 10 ft further due to impact?

or

there could have been greater chances of the member's car being smashed from side due to the moving traffic.

Quote:

Gave the car to workshop and they will take 7 days to repair it. repairing the body underneath will consume majority of time.

Usually I put on hand brakes at signals but yesterday i skipped it. I thins I was unlucky and lucky at the same time.

Unlucky because I was hit. Lucky because it was a pedestrian crossing and no one was hit by me, I escaped unhurt, it was a swift that hit me and not a SUV or any larger vehicle, could drive back home and the driver of the other car accepted his mistake.

I also think that the swift could not stop because of below average braking performance of the car.
Old 12th July 2012, 11:34   #11563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
My cousins son and mother passed away
It is disheartening to see innocent law abiding citizens perishing due to people who refuse to follow rules.

Condolences to the entire family and hope Almighty provides the strength in these trying times

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Infant's bus heading straight towards me, on the wrong side of the road....
not only do I get abused by the driver of the bus, but also by the so called educated and well-to-do drivers of the cars behind me asking me to give him way so that they could continue on their way!!

don't want to stand out like a sore thumb even if it means standing up against oppression or for something they believe in.
@IronH4WK - I face this everyday when I return home and take the road adjacent to the 17th Cross bridge when travelling toward Dr Rajkumar Road. This is a one way and you block the imbeciles and their responses have been funny , arrogant and idiotic

Couple of them to give you a taste of it

"Police doesn't care. So what is your problem"

"Goobey - Gaadi bartha ithey thane wait madakku agalva. One way gothu but gaadi bandrey jaga kodu bekhu "

The guy says - Can't you see us driving. Why are you blocking our way ? Yes we know it is one way but still have to give way for vehicle..

These are educated folks in white collar jobs - Why do they do this - Save time is their feedback..

Change has to come within. Till that happens no enforcement can change this place.

My family insists that I don't get into tussles as we never know how can it come back to hurt us.

Hate this
csateesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 11:42   #11564
Senior - BHPian

I am concerned why you had not called the police. Personally i would have called the cops, get some evidence by picture and if possible the driver and his car for sure.

Chances of cops issuing a FIR is low as there are no injuries other than damage to the cars. They will issue a certificate.

It is definitely time consuming but the time you spend on this is worth it. Safer and gives you some protection by LAW.
Old 12th July 2012, 13:32   #11565
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

If "Ifs and buts were candy and nuts.."

Yes, the correct way of doing it is leaving it in neutral and have the handbrake on. Sourab was indeed lucky that it was a fairly deserted traffic-signal. If there were pedestrians or other cars around it would have gotten a lot worse. But glad it didn't.

But going by the circumstances, it was a good thing that the resistance against the rear-ending was minimal.

Most Viewed