Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2012, 15:49   #11641
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Udupi: A Express bus and goods Lorry collided head-on, injuring all the passengers in the bus at Nittur here on July 25.
The APM Express bus plying from Kundapur to Udupi and a VRL goods Lorry plying from Mangalore to Kundapur collided head- on at Nittur at 8:30 a m. All the passengers in the bus are injured, some seriously.
According to the eyewitness, the bus was going at a high speed and the driver lost control. Reckless driving of the bus driver has caused this accident, said Monappa who was present at the spot when the accident took place.
Udupi city police and traffic police reached the spot and a case has been registered.

Udupi: 18 Injured in Bus-Lorry Accident at Nittur - Pics

Pics: Hemanath Padubidri
Daijiworld Media Network - Udupi (SM)

Udupi Jul 25:
As many as 18 persons were injured in an accident that occurred between APM bus and a loaded VRL lorry at NH 66 near Nittur on Wednesday July 25.
The bus was plying from Kundapur to Mangalore.
Two persons have been seriously injured.
It is learnt that the ignorance of the bus driver in trying to overtake at high speed caused the accident.
The injured have been admitted to the Government Agarkad hospital and Hi-tech hospital.
Old 25th July 2012, 16:38   #11642
BHPian

The road looks like it is four-laned. Then why is the bus on the wrong side of the road? What were the passengers doing when the bus went on the wrong side. Hope the insurance companies take note and deny compensation to the passengers. Then only will the bus owners learn.
Old 25th July 2012, 17:19   #11643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I think looking at the picture, its evident that the driver does not have any traffic sense. Look at the truck parked on the wrong side of the road (Be it after accident or during accident). No surprises here. If he had followed traffic rules, probably would have got saved.

Question - A Container does 50 kmph at the max. I think the driver must have slept at the wheel or not noticed the accident-causer ahead

Did he wear Seat Belts !! Now dont hit me for the comment
No prizes for guessing weather he was wearing a seat belt or no. Even if he was wearing one, I don't think that trucks have seat belt in condition that saves lives. I mean I have seen trucks that have seat belts so loose that they are just a formality.

Don't know where the accident took place, but the pic is when it was at the police station for some RTO work maybe. If it is at the police station then the police might have parked it in the wrong direction here. I don't think the driver is at fault for wrong side parking at-least here.

Your thought that the driver might have slept on the wheel might be correct here. It is possible. One thing is for sure that this is not the accident site as there was no other damaged vehicle around that looked as if damaged by this truck nor was any wall broken.

UPDATE: The truck seems seems to be taken away. When I passed it today afternoon, I saw the truck idling and some men getting in it. Though it did not move till I was there. The trailer was missing and I guess would have been carried away by some other truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
The road looks like it is four-laned. Then why is the bus on the wrong side of the road? What were the passengers doing when the bus went on the wrong side. Hope the insurance companies take note and deny compensation to the passengers. Then only will the bus owners learn.
According to the news report posted above, the bus was seen speeding. Wrong side driving + speeding is like inviting an accident.

On the passengers part, I would like to narrate an incident with my friend.
My friend normally drives to work but one day he had to take the office cab. The cab driver was driving like his tail was on fire. When my friend told him to drive a bit cautiously, it was objected by other passengers. The point is that, if one objects, there are many others who are in the favor of the driver as some rash driving may take them to their destination 5 mins faster. Till there is no proper education in the masses, I guess even the law abiding passengers would have to keep quiet. All we can do is drive safe ourselves and follow the rules when it comes to us driving.
My friend thereafter decided never to take the office cab again!

Last edited by noopster : 25th July 2012 at 17:21.
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 17:28   #11644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
bus driver in trying to overtake at high speed caused the accident.
OMG, that looks like a bad crash. I am suprised that no one is seriously injured. Look at how the seats are bent, it would take alot of force to bent all seats like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
My friend thereafter decided never to take the office cab again!
Thats the right thing to do. Let the other morons lose their limbs, only then they will realise.

Last edited by mac187 : 25th July 2012 at 17:32.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 17:29   #11645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
OMG, that looks like a bad crash. I am suprised that no one is seriously injured. Look at how the seats are bent, it would take alot of force to bent all seats like that...
Well, if you read the report it says ' Two persons have been seriously injured.'
alstonlobo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 18:24   #11646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The road looks like it is four-laned.
The place mentioned in Nittur. I think the 4-laning work is still in progress. Likely that the other side is not open to traffic yet.

Whenever a road is being 4-laned, one side of the road is dumped with loads of mud, just at the edge of the road. At times, the other side is either excavated, or has mud too. This leaves a strict 2 lane road for the vehicles.

When there is no road broadening going on, there is a buffer (can we call it shoulder?) on the sides of the roads at least at a few stretches. When a maniac on the opposite side comes towards you, you could go off the road to save your head.
Old 25th July 2012, 19:41   #11647
Senior - BHPian

A question here. How does denial of insurance claims from passengers teach a lesson to the bus owner ? or maybe you meant "deny the owners claim towards the repairs on the bus" !

Quote:
Hope the insurance companies take note and deny compensation to the passengers. Then only will the bus owners learn.
Old 25th July 2012, 19:50   #11648
BHPian

My thought is once you deny claims for insurance the onus will be on the bus owner to pay from his pocket for accident victims. I am not sure how the insurance works for bus owners but if it is similar to third party (that we have for cars) insurance should / must deny claim.
Old 26th July 2012, 07:51   #11649
Distinguished - BHPian

just now on NICE road between kanakapura road and bhannerughatta road.
a truck has fallen over and gutted in fire.
fire services were working to extinguish the fire.
the truck had a load of filters.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120726_075609.png
Views: 4576
Size:  249.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120726_075631.png
Views: 5128
Size:  305.9 KB
Old 26th July 2012, 08:06   #11650
BHPian

Terrible incident. The worst part is the school washing the hands off.

Girl falls through hole in schoolbus, dies - Hindustan Times
Old 26th July 2012, 08:33   #11651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
just now on NICE road between kanakapura road and bhannerughatta road.
Adding 2 more photos taken by my collegue in his mobile phone camera.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg
Old 26th July 2012, 11:21   #11652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post

Really bad to read the news. I think even for the normal vehicle leave alone a school bus, where we should be doubly sure. from what I read in the papers, the bus received its FC only recently, within the last 2 weeks. Though I am not sure if we can fully blame the RTO official fully without having seen the vehicle. But the people who prepared and presented the vehicle for FC needs to be booked for criminal negligence.

The idea of sending the children would have been safer and better for the roads around the schools, where every vehicle competes for space. But of late I have been reading a lot of school buses getting involved in a lot of accidents .
Old 26th July 2012, 11:53   #11653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post

The following was the response from the school admin,
The vehicle is not owned by the school. It was hired from a private operator," said K Vijayan, administration-in-charge of the school. "The condition of the bus is the contractor’s responsibility."

Atrocious!!.

The poor kid lost her life as her head got crushed by the rear wheel of the bus.

Very very irresponsible authorities around.

May her soul RIP. This news turns OFF my day.
Old 26th July 2012, 12:12   #11654
BHPian

The principal should be thrashed. Are goons becoming principals these days? Why havent the public gone violent on his sorry A** and burnt down his entire office? Once they charge fee for a service; it is their sole responsibility to see the safety of the children.

This man is should be held for culpable homicide and thrown in jail. Probably that should teach him a lesson or two. Schools are getting away with murders these days. One in Bangalore closed down and refused to respond after one child died in bus accident.

Losing a child this goons havent experience na thats why the lack of pity and washing hands off the matter.
Old 26th July 2012, 12:38   #11655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
The principal should be thrashed. Are goons becoming principals these days? Why havent the public gone violent on his sorry A** and burnt down his entire office? Once they charge fee for a service; it is their sole responsibility to see the safety of the children.
sir, why this rage? General public has already burned down the bus. I understand the grief and sorrow behind the incident and such things should not happen, but if you see in detail, The Hindu report says, the bus obtained its FC a month or so ago. So what were the RTO inspectors doing? Is the principal/school management/bus operator solely responsible for everything? Isn't the whole system corrupt? Just because, the driver or school or for that matter the operator is a easy prey, we cannot pounce on them and take law in our own hands. Why are we not pouncing upon the leaders of this nation? why are we silent? Are we not the ones to be blamed? Who is basically responsible for all this chaos in our country? we are too part of the system sir. Just because an individual owns something, he cannot be accounted to be solely reponsible.
Above are my opinions and I am in no way understating the grief and sorrow in that child's family for no fault of that kid or her parents or I am not here to hurt anyone's sentiments. If you remember/heard of it, recently a state minister's son died in a road accident, going over a speed breaker, lost balance, no helmet, hence succumbed to head injuries. What did the government do? Within a week, they have started removing non-scientifically designed speed breakers and making speed breakers the right way. So, for something to be corrected, someone has to face the same situation from the leadership category, only then the ones sitting in govt. will react. Untill then all our cries and shout will land on deaf ears. They know that we will continue with our work, completely forgetting what happened in another 3-4days. The only place where it will be missed for ever, will the child's family.
In my sincere opinion(I have already talked about this in the "Traffic life in chennai" thread) that we should stand up, and stand firm against such malpractices and we should realise from within that discipline and honesty starts with oneself first.
AlphaKilo is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed