Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 12:43   #11656
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
Terrible incident. The worst part is the school washing the hands off.

Girl falls through hole in schoolbus, dies - Hindustan Times
Chennai HC has filed a case spontaneously and summons the respective authorities to be presented by tomorrow. The school correspondent, driver and a couple others have been jailed. The people in the place where the incident took place have started proceedings/march to take immediate action. The bus has passed FC just some 27 days ago, talks loads about the pathetic state of RTOs.
Old 26th July 2012, 13:13   #11657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
we are too part of the system sir. Just because an individual owns something, he cannot be accounted to be solely reponsible.
Agreed your point. But the reply from the School's admin make anyone to loose temper. I have no words to explain the way i feel about that moron's reply. It could have end up OFFENSIVE if i wrote those. I think Parthasarathig was also in same state of mind after reading the news. Agreed that the whole system is having the issue and our "adjusting" nature. But think of these Schools, They were charging for every bit and the parents for their sake of their beloved children, pay all those fees and end up to see their kid loosing her life on road!.

System is to be blamed, but the first person responsible for this incident is the School's admin and the RTO. They should be punished severe.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 13:36   #11658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Hindu report says, the bus obtained its FC a month or so ago. So what were the RTO inspectors doing?
this reminds me of the scene from the Tamil movie Indian where the bus loaded with children meets with an accident due to its poor condition and later the RTO officials try to cover it up by putting the blame on the driver. not exactly the case here, but it does bring out the fact the malpractices that still go on to make a quick buck! and that movie was made 16yrs back!

sad it is indeed.
Old 26th July 2012, 13:37   #11659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
The following was the response from the school admin,
The vehicle is not owned by the school. It was hired from a private operator," said K Vijayan, administration-in-charge of the school. "The condition of the bus is the contractor’s responsibility."

Quote:
sir, why this rage?
Just because an individual owns something, he cannot be accounted to be solely reponsible.
If I understood it correctly , the bus was leased by the school to ferry the kids. Thus the school is equally responsible for the accident. Add oil to the fire, the administrator makes such a rude and insensitive comment.

That does call for a rage, and the school cannot wash its hand off from this accident. If that comment is not enraging us, Im sorry, nothing ever will enrage us.

And if one owns it , runs it and obtains an FC via a backdoor entry, he is the first person responsible .

Last edited by mannubhai : 26th July 2012 at 13:39.
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 13:43   #11660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Agreed your point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this reminds me of the scene from the Tamil movie Indian where the bus loaded with children meets with an accident due to its poor condition and later the RTO officials try to cover it up by putting the blame on the driver.

sad it is indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
And if one owns it , runs it and obtains an FC via a backdoor entry, he is the first person responsible .
I understand and I believe we are arguing for the same side.
OT: But shall we continue this discussion in another appropriate thread?(Mods: Please guide us to that thread, I searched but in vain), else we could start a thread to discuss the road rage in general and not have any images.
Old 26th July 2012, 15:18   #11661
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
Terrible incident. The worst part is the school washing the hands off.

Girl falls through hole in schoolbus, dies - Hindustan Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
The principal should be thrashed. Are goons becoming principals these days? Why havent the public gone violent on his sorry A** and burnt down his entire office? Once they charge fee for a service; it is their sole responsibility to see the safety of the children.

This man is should be held for culpable homicide and thrown in jail. Probably that should teach him a lesson or two. Schools are getting away with murders these days. One in Bangalore closed down and refused to respond after one child died in bus accident.

Losing a child this goons havent experience na thats why the lack of pity and washing hands off the matter.
The driver got thrashed. Have to say that, according to rule of law, nobody should get thrashed, but when I read about this tragedy, my own thoughts were very different: The owner should have been thrashed. Perhaps then he might learn that his penny-pinching attitude and lack of value for human life, the lives and safety of children is disgusting, despicable and sub-human.

I don't believe in violence; I don't believe in capital punishment ...but I'm really loosing faith in my beliefs when I see things like this.

<crossposted>
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo
The Hindu report says, the bus obtained its FC a month or so ago. So what were the RTO inspectors doing? Is the principal/school management/bus operator solely responsible for everything? Isn't the whole system corrupt?
Yes, the RTO staff are responsible too. Do they take seriously the state of a vehicle meant for children? Did they inspect the bus at all? Or was it just a "paper transaction?"

As others have raised the possibility that the bus was leased by the school, then that puts them just as responsible as the owner. And if not, then maybe they should be thrashing the owner, not making such stupid, offensive, blame-avoiding statements.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 26th July 2012 at 15:26.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 15:55   #11662
Senior - BHPian

Its getting worse by the day, thanks to 4lane work this route has become much more scarier!

This monday had been to Kundapura and witnessed how "fishtailing" happens on these buses, saw couple of buses back losing the line and sliding as the bus speed, and i was in the opposite side..

A APM bus which looked similar to the one in pic was driven recklessly, though am not sure if its the same one as many buses have the same color scheme..

Caution note for people who plan to take this route, dont try to be a hero if one of a bus(express) wants to overtake you, let him pass as they try all stunts, if they are in opposit direction, considering you are on 2lane make sure you give him enough space as they come real close esp when they plan to over take...

BTW, fourlane work is in progress and i dont think they will complete anytime soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Udupi: A Express bus and goods Lorry collided head-on, injuring all the passengers in the bus at Nittur here on July 25.
The APM Express bus plying.

Last edited by lohithrao : 26th July 2012 at 15:56.
Old 26th July 2012, 18:52   #11663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Saw this Volvo yesterday on the service road of the ORR towards NGEF. I suspect the front windshield hit the rear of this Scorpio. The maroon i10 is just passing and has got nothing to do with the scene. You can see the bus driver in white uniform conversing with the Scorpio driver.
This is the spot where all Ka.S.R.T.C. buses from Bangalore bound for Chennai (via Chittoor, Kolar) and those bound for Tirupati take a U-turn after leaving the Satellite Bus Stand at Byappannahalli, on their way to K.R. Puram. The bus that you see (incidentally, it is bound for Tirupati) is at the point where it was executing the U-turn from the service road. Other than to save fuel, there is no other reason why Ka.S.R.T.C would allow its buses, crew and passengers to be exposed to a grave danger as this one.
Old 27th July 2012, 09:23   #11664
BHPian

OT : Recd this from a friend

Science of Road Kill

The Science Of Roadkill - The Dish | By Andrew Sullivan - The Daily Beast
Old 27th July 2012, 10:13   #11665
BHPian

Guys I'm hearing about a "massive" accident in front of Intel Bellandur, ORR. Anyone has any updates?
Old 27th July 2012, 10:56   #11666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Guys I'm hearing about a "massive" accident in front of Intel Bellandur, ORR. Anyone has any updates?
Yes, there is/was a pileup in that area. My wife was driving to Cisco, ORR and she told me that there was Chevy (probably a Beat) which had it's rear banged up, and there was a dead dog as well as lot of glass on the road.

My guess is that the dog was crossing the road (maybe suddenly ?), the chevy braked and the car behind it couldn't control and banged it.

Last edited by akj123 : 27th July 2012 at 10:57. Reason: Removed an unrelated "quote"
Old 27th July 2012, 11:21   #11667
BHPian

It was a black Chevvy Beat (couldn't notice if it was a petrol or diesel one). the accident took place just before the ramp of the Devarabisenahalli overbridge (Intel). The car was banged badly in the front and back too. Glass and metal shards strewn all across the spot. A dead dog, smashed to its bones. Most probably the beat lost control to avoid heating the dog. No human casualty I hope.

Question to fellow members : In a situation when a stay dog comes suddenly in front of the car in a crowded street/overbridge, is it advisable NOT to try to avoid it & loose control ; rather keep the steering straight and pray that the stray gets away in time ?

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 27th July 2012 at 11:25.
Old 27th July 2012, 11:55   #11668
BHPian

This is the pic of the car, seems badly damaged. Wish people are more alert and keep a safe distance to avoid such issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120727028.jpg  

Old 27th July 2012, 12:00   #11669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr

Question to fellow members : In a situation when a stay dog comes suddenly in front of the car in a crowded street/overbridge, is it advisable NOT to try to avoid it & loose control ; rather keep the steering straight and pray that the stray gets away in time ?
Usually if you are doing slow speed like 40kmph i think that woyld give the stray some time to run off. At high speeds even if it tries to run away, itd still be late. Just imagine if instead of a dog it had been a person.

Personally ive seen a stray on a highway being killed by an i20. The car was speeding like anything on the leftmost lane and didnt even attempt to brake. Once it hit, the poor animal went into the air and the i20 owner kept driving as if only his life is valuable. I wonder if he had airbags.

Its best to keep steering straight as given a second or two, the stray will be out of the way. Sudden maneuvers and changing lanes will lead to loss of control and may infact lead to a bad accident.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 27th July 2012 at 12:01.
Old 27th July 2012, 12:11   #11670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my driving school, I had asked the exact same question to my driving instructor a few years back. He told me that if you cannot avoid it, its better to hit the dog rather than endangering the lives of the other vehicle drivers or pedestrians on the road by swerving frantically at the last moment. A human life is more valuable than anything.
I still do not know what I will do if God forbid I am in such a situation. I think I will prefer saving the dog and let the car take the damage.

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2012 at 14:29. Reason: Fixing quote
hrman is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks