Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2012, 14:32   #11686
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Shantanu - Glad to know you are safe. I was driving in opposite direction towards silk board when i saw the pile up.

I saw a bike and a scooter , i think TVS apache and a honda activa lying on the side of the road . There was a chevy beat as well as bus behind the beat .When i enquired with a bystander; he said the people on bike suffered loss of lives. Iam not sure on this but this was passed by a bystander and also the cops were asking people to move fast as the vehicles were slowing down to enquire about the incident.
sandeep3in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 14:33   #11687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Guys, I was involved in this traffic pile up. It was pretty horrific.
That looks like a pretty bad pile up. Happy to hear that you came out of it unscathed. It's due to people like in the maroon Lancer, that roads are unsafe in India. Take some rest, it's difficult to come over it, but time is the best healer.

Hope your car comes out of it soon; as well. Do you have any further news of the biker? I hope he was only injured and not killed. I also hope the injuries of the person in the BEAT were not too serious.
Old 27th July 2012, 15:22   #11688
BHPian

Shantanu lad to know you are safe. Please take a break from work and relax. Guess we need to identify such spots in Bangalore and be extra cautious. As many have mentioned before, the BETL flyover entry near silk board is very bad with people swerving to left at last minute.
Old 27th July 2012, 16:30   #11689
BHPian

Quote:
Right infront of the Eco Space techpark, as the morons removed the stones from the divider there, and the people want to save few drops of petrol and take a U-Turn to get into the tech park, this was always a recipe for disaster I always though about it.

...moronic activity of that Maroon swift (lancer I guess you meant). I got that guy, I asked him what did he do, his answer was "I gave the indicator".
Really sorry about the incident and even more sorry that I went past it and did not know that it was this serious. Yes, I agree. This was always a recipe for disaster en route to my work location - Salarpuria Hallmark. Especially the pile-up that results at the descending ramp side of the flyover when vehicles come down at about 70-80kmph... a Volvo bus stop (which is not really a bus stop) on the left most lane...a right lane where people are trying to squeeze their way through the broken stones/dividers...and a middle-lane, where people from the service road on the left side are across the road in order to reach out to the illegal u-turn. Now what does that leave you with? --A puzzled vehicle who's coming down the ramp not knowing what to do!!

Reckless driver could have been one of the reasons. But the one to blame here would be the Roads Department and a defunct traffic cop at the site permitting a u-turn at such a deadly point. Had they erected a permanent divider there that could not have been moved aside by some idiots to squeeze vehicles through, THIS DAY WOULD NOT HAVE TO BE SEEN. I burn with anger out of remorse, as I'm hearing there's been loss of lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I had a near miss last year on BETL when an idiot in a Swift turned right to descend towards EC Phase 1 and realized it was a wrong turn and then started to drive back (Not in reverse) but in opposite direction in full speed.

Just yesterday, another Idiot realizes that he had to go below the Silk Board flyover and Jams his brakes right when he begins to get onto the flyover. A Sumo, Then me and and another Figo went helter skelter avoiding by inches.
I hear you brother.. Been there..and gone through that. In my case, I was on my bullet leaning-in on that curve to Phase 1 as best as I can (my best part about the BETL stretch). Thankfully, I have a habit of looking ahead while leaning-in on curves instead of looking at my lean angle... And I see a moron in an indicab with HIGH BEAM lights coming straight in the opposite direction right at me on the fast lane. Now, that wasn't good as my puny tyres on the bullet wouldn't stop me in time and even if I managed to, what if the twerp hasnt seen me yet. Killed the lean, and swerved to the other lane and swore at him silently so much so that his ancestors would have stood up in their graves. ..

People driving/riding have gone mad. This city badly needs a Bangalore Domestic Circuit (as against a Buddh International Circuit) with free passes for maniac drivers...Call them all there. Start a race with an infintie loop.. and I'm pretty sure we'd have all of them gone from this world forever in no time! FOR GOOD..
mempheS.D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 16:33   #11690
Senior - BHPian

Oh God!!!
Im thankful to God that you are safe Shantanu. Take a good rest and relax yourself. I know its very very difficult to come out of such a horrifying experience.
Like mentioned by another Bhpian, Volkswagen and Skoda guys are good when it comes to restoration and repair. I have a white rapid myself and my heart went out to your poor baby. She will become like new in no time.
Curses to the Lancer guy. It should be reinforced in his head that he was responsible for what happened to the poor biker guy. He should live in guilt and shame for the rest of his life.
Old 27th July 2012, 18:04   #11691
Senior - BHPian

It is sad that a biker had to lose his life because of a moron. Such things keep happening every day.

No sympathies to the Beat guy.

I really hope the Lancer guy gets punished. But sadly, the law is such that the bus driver will be blamed for the death of the biker, and the Lancer guy will probably walk out with just a fine (if at all). I don't think there are cameras at that place, so the verdict will rely only on eye-witness accounts.
Old 27th July 2012, 18:21   #11692
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That’s quite a nasty one evil. Unfortunately these kinds of drivers (the maroon Cedia) are gaining in numbers on our roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu
Here is the pic of what is left out of the boot of my car
Happy that you were in a safe car. The VW has absorbed the impact pretty well.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 18:28   #11693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
so the verdict will rely only on eye-witness accounts.
Verdict? Sigh! Don't expect one. Someone mentioned that the bus was was not BMTC but a ferry for some company. The driver 'may' lose his job, and an out of court settlement by the travel company that owns the ferry.

While it is sad that a life has been lost, I hope the authorities do realize the danger they pose to road users by designing death traps as these.
Old 27th July 2012, 18:57   #11694
BHPian

I have decided that I am not going to just sit on it. I am going to BTP ( Bangalore traffic police) on Monday and filing an RTI as to why no permanent divider is built in this stretch after all, BTP knows the danger everyday. Also am going to file another RTI with BBMP on what is the plan for a sky walk in front of such an important techpark on one of the most busiest road. Pedestrians are exposed to the mercy of fate and chance everyday here.

There is a lot of anger now, we pay the highest amount of road tax in the country. Pay it again while buying one of the most expensive fuel in the country, not for this. The guy who lost his life, was also a tax payer, not this way, not for the part for which he already paid the taxes and expected the authorities to remove these dangers.

May is soul rest in peace. :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That’s quite a nasty one evil. Unfortunately these kinds of drivers (the maroon Cedia) are gaining in numbers on our roads.

Happy that you were in a safe car. The VW has absorbed the impact pretty well.
Thanks VB-San
indeed the car has absorbed the shock pretty well. I am thanking to god that I decided to buy the highline Vento with ABS. otherwise I would have ended up banging the guy infront of me in a similar way.

Last edited by ajmat : 27th July 2012 at 20:07.
evilshantanu is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 19:15   #11695
BHPian

Quote:
I have decided that I am not going to just sit on it. I am going to BTP ( Bangalore traffic police) on Monday and filing an RTI as to why no permanent divider is built in this stretch after all, BTP knows the danger everyday. Also am going to file another RTI with BBMP on what is the plan for a sky walk in front of such an important techpark on one of the most busiest road. Pedestrians are exposed to the mercy of fate and chance everyday here.

There is a lot of anger now, we pay the highest amount of road tax in the country. Pay it again while buying one of the most expensive fuel in the country, not for this. The guy who lost his life, was also a tax payer, not this way, not for the part for which he already paid the taxes and expected the authorities to remove these dangers.

May is soul rest in peace. :-(
Good to see you putting back yourself together after this mishap. This is exactly what is expected of every responsible citizen who have to undergo the pain of having to endure the callousness of the government departments, law enforcement and even fellow citizens. If you have the registration number of that maroon Cedia please also file a complaint against that maniac to ensure he too gets affected. The poor biker lost his life for no reason at all. We need to make these folks suffer for their utter disregard for other people's lives. I and I believe all others are with you in what you are going to do. RTI about roads might come under the Bengaluru Municipality or PWD. You can for sure ask BTP why an illegal u-turn is allowed at the point this mishap happened and a family paid the ultimate price for these dolts.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 19:19   #11696
BHPian

A news link that will do us all proud. **sarcasm intended**

Every 3 minutes, an Indian dies in a road accident - Hindustan Times
Old 27th July 2012, 19:35   #11697
BHPian

@Shantanu: Good to hear you are safe now. I couldn't able to see the car in this condition.

Very sad to hear about the biker.

I have raised BTP facebook post to reconstruct the median infront of Eco Space, ORR.

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 27th July 2012 at 19:38.
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 20:13   #11698
BHPian

Quote:
Really unfortunate. I do this stretch daily and this was waiting to happen. Many do insane speeds at this stretch coming down the flyover. And I feel very bad about the people trying to cross this road. While this illegal U-turn might have just created by a moron autorickwalla, the previous legal U-Turn (at IOC bunk, bellandur) is a total mess. There is a bus stop, a speed breaker, a service road merger and a U-turn at a single point - result is utter chaos and traffic snarl. The U-turn should be moved ahead by 100m and the bus stop moved behind. But who is listening.
Old 27th July 2012, 20:33   #11699
BHPian

Quote:

You should thank your stars that you chose a safe car.
The car has absorbed the impact well. The Cedia guy should be thrashed by the public. Sad to say this, but then will only these people learn. If let away now, he won't give a thought before driving the same way again. Wish atleast he is caught and is behind the bars for some years to come. Causing a death by rash driving should be dealt as murder.

I dis-encourage people from taking such dangerous turns many a times. Once while traveling to alibaug, I by mistake took on to the expressway. Going a little ahead, we saw a road leading to the expressway. It was for entry to the expressway and not for the exit. I was told to take that road for exit, but I stayed adamant and drove straight. I had to travel more 10Kms (approx) for an exit, but I don not regret my decision at all. I have seen many vehicles taking a U-Turn on the Mumbai Pune Expressway. If only they had known that they are inviting a huge danger, India could be a country with some safe roads.

The beat guy was also a maniac to some extent. Thank God that I have a habit of getting the seat belt on as soon as I enter the car. Seat belts are on before the engine starts.

Can't really blame the bus driver before actually knowing the scene. Its always difficult to say that the bus had enough time to stop, as they tend to take a lot more of a distance. I am pretty sure that the brakes of the bus might not be in the best condition and hence he is at fault. If the biker could stop in time, I guess the bus was tailgating! I guess Shantanu can give us a better idea about the bus.

May God give the bikers family the courage to bear such a huge loss due to some maniac's mistake. Hope his soul rests in peace.
Shantanu, take some days off and just relax. The car will be in its pristine condition soon.

Quote:

Thats a great thing you are planning to do. All the Team-Bhpian's are with you. In-fact, we should identify such spots in our area and act over it before we witness such a things. We can always learn by others experiences.
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 20:57   #11700
BHPian

I really feel sad for the Bikers family, they have to suffer due to somebody's fault. I was watching the commotion from my office in RMZ Ecospace and was hoping that nobody must have lost their life. RIP Bro. A really sad day.

Most Viewed