Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2012, 11:16   #11746
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
This is a very sad incident. Death is something that is inevitable, but dying in this way is very sad.

The Front Fortuner (face-lifted one) has been crushed beyond recognition. This is a clear case of over-speeding (easily over 120 kmph) and losing control. I guess the rains would have added to the loss of control.

Guys, please be careful while driving and tell your drivers to exercise caution and give them strict speed limits even if the highway is empty.
Looks like a case of overspeeding, very tragic indeed. when would people realize that an SUV is not meant to cruise at these speeds on the roads. Even fortuner is an very unstable vehicle at high speeds, the Center of gravity of these vehicles is pretty high and hence making it unstable at high speeds. The purpose of an SUV is entirely different. But I guess these vehicles have become more of a status symbol in our country and utility things.
Old 1st August 2012, 13:06   #11747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Looks like a case of overspeeding, very tragic indeed. when would people realize that an SUV is not meant to cruise at these speeds on the roads. Even fortuner is an very unstable vehicle at high speeds, the Center of gravity of these vehicles is pretty high and hence making it unstable at high speeds. The purpose of an SUV is entirely different. But I guess these vehicles have become more of a status symbol in our country and utility things.
Horrific accident.

I was driving back to Bangalore on Sunday evening on NH4. On any Sunday evening/ night one can typically witness heavy traffic on this highway as many are inbound to Bangalore after the weekend. There was a light drizzle along the way and dry and wet roads were encountered alternatively. I was in my Laura and I generally drive at pretty decent speeds on the highway.

I was overtaken by atleast three Fortuners that evening and each of these drivers was driving as if he owned the road.
It seemed like their ego was matched by the size of their vehicles. THey were driving at speeds no less than 150 kph . Changing lanes and braking late to intimidate cars ahead of them. THe moment I saw them in my ORVM I moved to the left to let them pass as I knew the brakes on their cars are not so great and the thought of being rear ended by a Fortuner is not so pleasant . As traffic was quite dense I would catch up with them every now and then. Couple of these cars were driven by chauffeurs as I could see the vacant front passenger seat . One of these guys even had kids in the back seat. How can the owners be silent spectators to this kind of madness? DO they think that they are in an indestructible capsule?

No offence to Fortuner owners. But in my experience I find that out of all SUV owners, people driving Fortuners have some of the worst road manners and drive in a manner which puts others on the road at great risk.
Santoshbhat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 15:41   #11748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
BTP says "During discussion police told that two wheelers must go in extreme left which i didn't know." Now, if a two-wheeler gets rear-ended on the right most lane, isn't it considered both parties' fault if the above statement is true?
What if he has to take a right turn? I mean, this cannot be applicable universally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Horrific accident.

But in my experience I find that out of all SUV owners, people driving Fortuners have some of the worst road manners and drive in a manner which puts others on the road at great risk.
You will find a few more being discussed here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...giri-cars.html

Last edited by Dry Ice : 1st August 2012 at 15:45. Reason: adding reply
Old 1st August 2012, 16:25   #11749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
What if he has to take a right turn? I mean, this cannot be applicable universally!

True , but not always.

I came across a lady in an activa today morning, driving at probably 20-30 kmph, in the centre of the right lane. The left lane had traffic and i was stuck behind, and i was having more cars behind me. I honked for her to give me way.She didnt budge. I moved closer, so that she can see my xuv on the mirror. Still no response. Fed up, I managed to squeeze past her,through the left ( no other way ! ) lowered my window to tell her that she better keep the left lane. Then realised, she had her ear phones, and probably was on phone or music, oblivious to what was happening around her. I didnt waste my time and moved on.

Sorry, being a little OT.
mannubhai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 16:58   #11750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Puttur, Jul 31 : In a shocking news, Bondala Jagannath Shetty, a Congress leader from Bantwal-Puttur region who had held the DK district Youth Congress president's post from 2001 to 2009, died on the spot when his Fortuner SUV collided with a gas tanker near Panemangalore on Tuesday, July 31 at around 11 pm.
An ace politician in the making, Bondala was popular not only around Puttur taluk, but all over the DK district for his selfless nature and social service.
Don't these people understand the loss of their own number, and of their families, and understand not only the risks that they take, but some responsibility to not only legislate for others but set some good example? Unfortunately, the opposite seems true.

Death is the one absolute leveller: I am sorry for his family and friends just as I am for my neighbour. Grief is the same for all. But my neighbour (husband killed in a bike accident) does not have the opportunity to change things for others: the friends and associates of a man like this do have that chance. So utterly frustrating that their interests lie elsewhere.

No party politics intended. This is the same for all in public life, whatever badge they wear.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 21:43   #11751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Yes, definitely right. This is not a rule which applies all the time. But 99.9% of the time, two-wheelers have zero lane discipline. They cut across and drive all over the road, as if their safety is others' responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
I came across a lady in an activa today morning, driving at probably 20-30 kmph, in the centre of the right lane.
I encounter this kind of people every day on ORR. And it's not for taking turns or anything. They drive like this for kilometers together and block the speed lane. Funny thing is that they never seem to understand that they are doing something stupid.
Old 2nd August 2012, 09:39   #11752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I encounter this kind of people every day on ORR. And it's not for taking turns or anything. They drive like this for kilometers together and block the speed lane. Funny thing is that they never seem to understand that they are doing something stupid.
They might be thinking that they are driving 'safe'. There is big misconception that driving slow means driving safe.
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:07   #11753
Senior - BHPian

Very horrific to see the Swift and the Fortuner. The fortuner looks like it was smashed by a battle tank. Very Very sad to hear the life was lost. This is no way to die. And all only for a few moments of thrill at insanely high speeds.

Sorry to say this, but only when such a thing happens to the political class, some rules are changed and strictly enforced. Lets see what the authorities do now..

The fact that the sales of SUVs and MUVs are growing does not present a good picture at all. Are we staring at more maniacs on the road to add to the existing countless monsters in their SUVs already?
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:00   #11754
BHPian

The scene on the main road near our house this morning. The tractor guy must have been the usual over confident guys we see on Bangalore roads!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0120.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0121.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0122.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0123.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0124.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0125.jpg  

Old 2nd August 2012, 13:04   #11755
BHPian

Sad to see the pictures and news. The only positive that I personally gain from this thread is that I am constantly reminded to drive safe and smart (this one is to keep a constant look out for potential threats).
Wish every one reading this thread to not just feel pity for the victims, but also drive safe and smart.
Though I will share my experience. Once on a highway, a Ritz cut me off real bad and I wanted to give it back to him and started to speed up and tried to catch up to him to gesture at him. My 10 year old son sitting in the back said 'Appaaa! Just let him go!'. He never took his eyes off his Gameboy. He was just listening to the raised engine levels and commented. Suddenly felt enlightened and really cooled me down like a ice bath.
After that, I don't remember getting into a race or try to 'gesture'
PS: Sorry, if this is OT
thalavoy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 13:25   #11756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No party politics intended. This is the same for all in public life, whatever badge they wear.
Yes, in fact I am sure we all have seen SUVs driven like this having a flag or indicator of a political party. Perhaps to justify all the rash driving and 'cutting off'.
Ok, perhaps somebody like me wont bother to mess with such morons. But I dont think the one sitting on the bull (in mythological terms) cares for such flags or indicators. They are just literally knocking on the doors of the other world and tempting their fate. Unfortunately they drag somebody along with them at times.
It is best to identify such drivers in the RVMs and let them go their chosen way and speed.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 13:36   #11757
BHPian

Really sad incident. Looking at the Fortuner crushed beyond recognition a chill just ran down my spine. I mean how fast was the car going? I just get the shivers thinking of being in a car having a head on collision at that speed. Heck, even witnessing such an incident. Makes me really sad.

Being here in Pune, the condition is even worse, with not just SUV's but, bikes, small badly maintained cars, trucks, buses and even riksha wala's driving like maniacs not thinking about their or others lives. Its just disaster waiting to happen.

Don't know when our people are gonna understand this simple matter of sense and start respecting human life.
Old 2nd August 2012, 13:39   #11758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Horrific accident.

No offence to Fortuner owners. But in my experience I find that out of all SUV owners, people driving Fortuners have some of the worst road manners and drive in a manner which puts others on the road at great risk.
That's a pretty broad paint brush you are using

The Fortuner is a great highway vehicle and the visibility along with the mid range grunt makes overtaking or cruising (on the right roads) on 3 digit speeds a breeze. But driving that SUV at 150kmph in semi wet conditions and with traffic around is madness. That engine + ordinary brakes and body on frame/handling = can be a recipe for disaster for those who don't know how to handle such a combination.

Wonder how many Fortuner owners (outside our forum, obviously) really know what their vehicle can and can't do? And get cocooned by the false sense of security due to the vehicle's size and presence?

Last edited by nilanjanray : 2nd August 2012 at 13:53.
nilanjanray is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 14:56   #11759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
But driving that SUV at 150kmph in semi wet conditions and with traffic around is madness. That engine + ordinary brakes and body on frame/handling = can be a recipe for disaster for those who don't know how to handle such a combination.
Its not just about fortuner. Its true for any vehicle in Indian roads. Our roads are not the safest, lets admit. Our drivers arent the smartest. Rains added on, is disaster in the making.

All one can do is to be cautious himself, and then hope for a safe drive. Thats all
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:38   #11760
BHPian

The fortuner accident is not a case of over speeding as speculated. As per the report in Hindu, The Hindu : Cities / Mangalore : Leaders mourn Jagannatha Shetty

"After dropping his driver home, Mr. Shetty’s car was taking a turn towards Shambur Road when a truck, which was carrying liquefied petroleum gas cylinders, rammed into the car. Mr. Shetty died on the spot."
bkishore_77 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks