Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 17:51   #11986
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I don't believe the divider caused the accident; but if we assume that is true, then the government's reaction of removing it can hardly be called "knee-jerk", is it not? Also, when is a divider a divider "in the wrong place"??

Personally speaking, both the government and the opposition are united in blaming IOCL for this accident. And it is my belief they are spot-on

=======
Removing the dividers is definitely a Knee-Jerk reaction. Its the same as banning shwarma across the state after a guy sadly died off food poisoning after eating shwarma from a restaurant.

IOCL needs to relook at its safety measures on tankers. Barring that, putting the blame on them wholly looks unjustified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
That divider did not have any reflectors/warning signs. What these idiots did is removing it completely after the accident. It is more dangerous than before now.
=======
Totally agree.
Old 5th September 2012, 19:00   #11987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
=======
IOCL needs to relook at its safety measures on tankers. Barring that, putting the blame on them wholly looks unjustified.
IOCL is not being blamed for the tanker's safety (they have been claiming that their tankers are totally safe). They are being blamed for dragging their feet for several years on the proposed LPG terminal at Kochi. Right now, all LPG for Kerala comes from the HPCL terminal at Mangalore. The gas is transported via tankers from Mangalore to the three filling plants in Kerala - at Calicut, Kochi and Kollam. Given that the state has a ban on trucks carrying hazardous materials on the roads between 8AM and 8PM, these tankers cut corners to reach their destination in a night (or risk staying parked through the day somewhere wayside). With a terminal at Kochi, all filling plants are safely reachable within 5 hours. Further, they can adjust the shipment volumes based on demand patterns (IOCL/Indane apparently has close to 70% market share in the state, so no doubt this will reduce the number of tankers on the highways).

A Hindu report on this:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle3847479.ece

It should also be noted that IOCL planned and constructed an LPG terminal at Ennore in the interim. This has apparently cut down to near-zero the entire tanker traffic between Mangalore and TN.
Old 5th September 2012, 20:20   #11988
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a news story from July 1991 (Times of India, Bombay). Mansoor Awan a 17 year old was tragically killed while riding his brand new Yamaha RX 100, that his parents had gifted him.
This was just the beginning of the many thousands of deaths that were to follow thereafter, owing to these new gen bikes that had their presence felt since the mid 1980's on our roads.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picture-233.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 10:47   #11989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This is a news story from July 1991 (Times of India, Bombay). Mansoor Awan a 17 year old was tragically killed while riding his brand new Yamaha RX 100, that his parents had gifted him.
This was just the beginning of the many thousands of deaths that were to follow thereafter, owing to these new gen bikes that had their presence felt since the mid 1980's on our roads.
The article mentions about making helmets compulsory ... Twenty years later, i am not sure where we are with this - are helmets compulsory throughout the country, and how many people actually wear them (versus hanging them on the handle to show to the cops) ? Wonder when people will start valuing their own lives ...

Saw two pile-ups within the space of 100 metres on the airport road, before Hebbal flyover today .. The first one had 5-6 cars, but none seemed to be very badly damaged. The second one had a Polo hitting a Qualis, with the Polo's bonnet in bad condition. Thankfully though, no one seemed to be hurt.
Old 6th September 2012, 11:14   #11990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Two TV actors killed in Mumbai-Pune expressway accident
details here :
http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/t...om=home-cities
Is that a Swift in which the TV actors where traveling? Looks completely smashed and unrecognizable.
Old 6th September 2012, 11:42   #11991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
The article mentions about making helmets compulsory ... Twenty years later, i am not sure where we are with this - are helmets compulsory throughout the country, and how many people actually wear them (versus hanging them on the handle to show to the cops) ? Wonder when people will start valuing their own lives
dont count on that. we have enough conspiracy theories going around about how the helmet rule was put in place so that relatives of politicians could make money. Does anybody think that helmets are the only way to do this? What about roads, highways, irrigation projects, flyovers, dams, mines, spectrum, slum rehabilitation, what do you think happens there? Its just silly to dismiss such an effective rule for a conspiracy theory. If that logic were to be followed, not a single contract or tender can be issued in India.
By the way, its not enough wearing a helmet. We should also ensure that:
- the belt is securely strapped
- the helmet has not had any impact
- the helmet is not an ancient relic. it has its expiry too. if we dont eat biscuits made 5 years ago, why do we use a rundown old helmet?
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 12:17   #11992
BHPian

Saw this Etios near my colony today. Looks as if somebody banged it from the side. The rear bumper was dragging with the car as it moved, the boot was open and hanging. The driver was driving as if nothing had happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_2012090628334.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_2012090632612.jpg  

Old 6th September 2012, 12:30   #11993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The article mentions about making helmets compulsory ... Twenty years later, i am not sure where we are with this - are helmets compulsory throughout the country, and how many people actually wear them (versus hanging them on the handle to show to the cops) ? Wonder when people will start valuing their own lives ...
When they stop rushing to see a fire at a fireworks factory?

This is not as offtopic as it looks. This kind of basic awareness/fear of danger should be built in to our instincts. It should not even take education to know that fire burns, explosives explode and that head on road kills.

I feel very sad and sorry for the injured and bereaved, but ...imagine the frustration of those who were trying to tell people to go away. Some of those people probably lost their lives trying to protect others.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 14:18   #11994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
dont count on that. we have enough conspiracy theories going around about how the helmet rule was put in place so that relatives of politicians could make money.
That just seems plain silly and a case of misplaced priorities to me. Even if it's true and some politicians/beauracrats/industrialists benefited from it, what about the lives saved by doing it. Only money has value, not the lives saved ?

Quote:
- the helmet is not an ancient relic. it has its expiry too.
I had heard about ISI, but didnt know that helmets have an expiry date. Are you saying that helmets come with an expiry date (is it printed on them) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
When they stop rushing to see a fire at a fireworks factory?

I feel very sad and sorry for the injured and bereaved, but ...imagine the frustration of those who were trying to tell people to go away. Some of those people probably lost their lives trying to protect others.
Earlier this year I was in B'lore airport, when one large tarpaulin/cloth-like material hung from ceiling caught fire. There were some workers there near to it, and they escaped. The fire was spreading so fast, it was scary - probably the first time i had seen something like that. Thankfully airport staff used fire extinguishers and it was contained without causing any major damage.
akj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 14:39   #11995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That just seems plain silly and a case of misplaced priorities to me. Even if it's true and some politicians/beauraucrats/industrialists benefited from it, what about the lives saved by doing it. Only money has value, not the lives saved ?
Your post has made me post this comment from someone in today's newspaper.
I personally feel that for each concerned citizen, we have 10 (or more) fools like this.

What more can be expected in a country like ours where the Govt. has to give ads requesting its citizens to put handkerchief on nose while sneezing in bus.
We conveniently blame and curse Maruti (Kitna Deti Hai), Govt. (above mentioned ad), China (for cheap chinese products) but forget completely the facts that have lead to such situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00027201209061417.jpg  

Old 6th September 2012, 14:45   #11996
BHPian

Quote:
dont count on that. we have enough conspiracy theories going around about how the helmet rule was put in place so that relatives of politicians could make money. Does anybody think that helmets are the only way to do this? What about roads, highways, irrigation projects, flyovers, dams, mines, spectrum, slum rehabilitation, what do you think happens there? Its just silly to dismiss such an effective rule for a conspiracy theory. If that logic were to be followed, not a single contract or tender can be issued in India.
By the way, its not enough wearing a helmet. We should also ensure that:
- the belt is securely strapped
- the helmet has not had any impact
- the helmet is not an ancient relic. it has its expiry too. if we dont eat biscuits made 5 years ago, why do we use a rundown old helmet?
Couldn't have agreed more with you Selfdrive. People tend to spend fortune on purchase of the bike but when it comes to buying the helmet, they either not spend on it at all or they spend a little thinking it to be a waste. Sad but true.
Old 6th September 2012, 14:52   #11997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I personally feel that for each concerned citizen, we have 10 (or more) fools like this.

What more can be expected in a country like ours where the Govt. has to give ads requesting its citizens to put handkerchief on nose while sneezing in bus.
We conveniently blame and curse Maruti (Kitna Deti Hai), Govt. (above mentioned ad), China (for cheap chinese products) but forget completely the facts that have lead to such situation.
Hi CarWatcher,

Thanks for the post. The individual has correctly blamed lot of things for accidents, and yes, ideally those should be fixed. But if we look at it practically, we know that's not possible (or will take a long time to happen), and so for our own safety, I believe we should wear helmets/seat belts.

Actually in that sense i partially agree with him - I also don't believe in making these things "mandatory". There should be lot of education, advertising, communication etc, but finally let the person decide - if he/she thinks that they are superman or doesn't value his/her/loved ones life, so be it :(

Forcing doesn't work - for example i recently took a taxi from Delhi Airport (it was an Omni Van, paid for at the Delhi Police pre-paid taxi counter). He had a seat belt for front passenger, but it was so loose that it was completely useless. I tried adjusting it but just couldn't get it to fit. When I asked him about it, he said it was setup that way so that it fits "heavy" people. So yeah, he's probably following the laws, but in just a naam-ke-vaaste way.

Anyway, not sure if we're going off-topic from the thread.
akj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 15:03   #11998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the post. The individual has correctly blamed lot of things for accidents, and yes, ideally those should be fixed.
I agree with you, but tell me "practically" how many years, if not decades will take this to happen, if at all this happens. I have not seen many posts where someone blames the people, all seem to blame the govt. only. I believe that even if a single life is saved by compulsory enforcement of this rule, its worth it.

To take it further in our Indian mentality style, won't the gov't will save some money by avoiding the accidental deaths as Govt. is bound to pay compensation to road accident victims, which comes from us taxpayers. Period.
Old 6th September 2012, 15:14   #11999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually in that sense i partially agree with him - I also don't believe in making these things "mandatory". There should be lot of education, advertising, communication etc, but finally let the person decide - if he/she thinks that they are superman or doesn't value his/her/loved ones life, so be it :(
I agree with this sentiment usually with one caveat - I fully and firmly believe an individual should be able to decide and do what he/she wants to do ONLY on his/her own property. When you are in public space, you have to play by the rules of society. The rules of the road in my view fall under this category. There are legal (IPC sections in case of death vs injury in road accident), psychological (shock and trauma to all involved), financial (compensation, insurance etc.) and many other implications that mandatory helmet/seatbelt etc. rules are justified.

To take your thought to the extreme, the same argument can be made about DUI too, is it not?
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 15:32   #12000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That just seems plain silly and a case of misplaced priorities to me. Even if it's true and some politicians/beauracrats/industrialists benefited from it, what about the lives saved by doing it. Only money has value, not the lives saved ?
I am not supporting what they say. just trying to say that such people exist who are opposig helmet rule by such reasons.

Quote:
I had heard about ISI, but didnt know that helmets have an expiry date. Are you saying that helmets come with an expiry date (is it printed on them)
I havent seen an expiry date as such. But personally, I would not use an ages old helmet. well, on second thoughts, it is still better than no helmet at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
oh yes, we do. in fact just the other day there was some 'morcha' (protest march) in Pune where some polictical party was protesting the helmet rule in cantonment area by taking out a helmet on a funeral procession (kind of). I think they would be better off protesting against toll booths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi8195 View Post
People tend to spend fortune on purchase of the bike but when it comes to buying the helmet, they either not spend on it at all or they spend a little thinking it to be a waste. Sad but true.
sure there are so many morons zooming around on bikes without helmets. I dont really care if they want to go hit their head against a wall on their private property. But I really dont want to see them doing that on the road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks