Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2012, 20:06   #12076
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Thiruvananthapuram: Five people were killed when their car was hit by the Hapa-Tirunelveli Express at an unmanned level crossing at Aroor in Kerala today, railway sources said. More details here..

http://www.ndtv.com/article/south/fi...e-otherstories
Old 23rd September 2012, 20:18   #12077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback
He said, your vehicle is very small and I did not notice.

I think I do not have energy and time to run again and again to police station for complaint.
Good to know that you and your family are safe, very sorry for the car though.

As for the truck driver's logic I've heard it once too, when a truck driver said he did not see my civic stationary beside his truck at the traffic light, and then he bangs straight into my car turning left as soon as the light goes green.

I even took him to the police station, but those guys were interested only in their share of money from the truck owner.ade me wait for more than an hour and then asked me to leave and return after a couple of days for the copy of the FIR. The intentions were clear and there was no point wasting further time. Worse was they wanted my car to be kept in the police station till all procedures were done, while they did not detain the truck involved. I argued my way out of that and got the car towed to the service center immediately.
Old 23rd September 2012, 20:45   #12078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
When I told that I applied brakes half a min back and it was not an emergency stop, he accused me of driving such a small car.
Bangalore has become a nightmare to live and people just do not care. You do not have to know the local language or be a local. How does this help? Even if you did speak Kannada, the truck driver would have given you the same stupid replies. A thrash is what he deserved even though I say to refrain from doing such things. Nobody cares these says. Who is going to pay to fix your ride? The truck driver. Hell no.

In a similar situation on Friday, I got brushed a little while on my bike. Who else, a truck. Luckily I had a small carrier installed so there was no damage and it was at crawling speed. Felt a gentle bump on my bike and when I looked back at the driver, he looked back at me with an attitude and as if nothing had happened. Nothing did happen. There was no damage to my bike too. However, he could not care less and it is this attitude that makes me want to beat the daylights out of them. I would have been at peace if he apologized but no, he rules the road so he can do whatever the hell he feels like.

I say, it was unfortunate in your case, avoid any contact as much as possible. Even if someone is bullying you, let them pass. It is a faster way to forget what happened. Trust me, the pain one has to go through to get their rides fixed is the worst feeling. On top of it all, you still have to pay to get you car fixed for no mistake of yours.
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:48   #12079
Senior - BHPian

Today a friend of mine called up after we were out of touch for 4 months (because I had decided to stop talking to him until he apologised for giving my wedding a miss), to tell me that was involved in a bad accident.

He lives in Mangalore, where most roads are of concrete. At many places, there is a big dip on the left, where the concrete block ends.

He was riding his bike at night and was blinded by oncoming high beams. He drifted to the left and lost control. Although his helmet was ISI certified (according to him), it did not have a full face cover. He hit his face to the concrete block, and ended up with bruised face and hairline fractures on his skull (around the forehead).

He was lucky enough that a friend of his was driving on that road and witnessed the accident. He recognised this guy by the bike and took him to a nearby hospital. He spent a week in ICU and a total of 2 months in hospital (for face operation - it's called grafting I think). Meanwhile, he was scanned multiple times for brain damage.

Finally after more than 4 months, he has recovered fully, and he had no brain damage.
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:18   #12080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf
Today a friend of mine called up after we were out of touch for 4 months (because I had decided to stop talking to him until he apologised for giving my wedding a miss), to tell me that was involved in a bad accident.

He lives in Mangalore, where most roads are of concrete. At many places, there is a big dip on the left, where the concrete block ends.

He was riding his bike at night and was blinded by oncoming high beams. He drifted to the left and lost control. Although his helmet was ISI certified (according to him), it did not have a full face cover. He hit his face to the concrete block, and ended up with bruised face and hairline fractures on his skull (around the forehead).

He was lucky enough that a friend of his was driving on that road and witnessed the accident. He recognised this guy by the bike and took him to a nearby hospital. He spent a week in ICU and a total of 2 months in hospital (for face operation - it's called grafting I think). Meanwhile, he was scanned multiple times for brain damage.

Finally after more than 4 months, he has recovered fully, and he had no brain damage.
Good god. That is very unfortunate. My best to him. He has a new life. It further certifies that my car choice is ok. Do not want to repent because of craters and abruptly ending road corners.
Old 24th September 2012, 11:22   #12081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Indeed, It is. LTD is there at the back. I hope all the occupants are safe in the car.

Cheers,
Sameer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Oh shoot! That looks bad. Hope the driver & passengers are okay!

Do any other BHPians know whos car this is?
Got reply in the accidents thread from the owner's neighbor:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiranjan View Post
This is my neighbour's car. While overtaking a Sumo, the car went over tree logs lying on the road and toppled 3 times. All escaped with minor injuries. An elderly lady sitting at the back seat suffered a leg fracture as she was not wearing a seat belt. The car was declared a total-loss. But they got just 3 Lakhs from insurance. It was barely an year old.
Mods: Multi-Quote not working the way it should. Looks like problem with "long" quotes. I have copied the quotes individually and edited. Hope that's not a problem
Old 25th September 2012, 00:16   #12082
Senior - BHPian

Horrible S.T Bus and Truck crash near Nagpur claimed 5 innocent lives. RIP
Source:Lokmat & Hitvada.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-d75660large.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-news_158295.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-news_158389.jpg  

Old 25th September 2012, 09:49   #12083
Senior - BHPian

Saw an i20 engine bay on fire this morning on the middle of the road (near EON, Kharadi, Pune) while getting to work. The fire probably had just started 5-10 minutes before we crossed that point.
The front was quite depressed inside which means that there was a high speed impact.
I could see the flames just above the engine from the gap between the bay and the bonnet.
The car looked almost new and there was no owner in sight.
Old 25th September 2012, 19:44   #12084
Senior - BHPian

not exactly an accident, but saw this Elantra on the BETL this morning with smoke coming form under its hood. even with that the driver was driving the car fast, but finally gave up and went and stopped in front of the emergency vehicle:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_8025.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_8028.jpg

also, i had see this mangled Manza parked near the Madivala police station few days back. anybody got any information on this?
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_7786.jpg

Last edited by IronH4WK : 25th September 2012 at 19:50.
Old 26th September 2012, 08:58   #12085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
also, i had see this mangled Manza parked near the Madivala police station few days back. anybody got any information on this?
This car seems to be standing there for quite a few days now. I also spotted this one, a few weeks back. Seems like the result of a high speed roll-over. It's banged from all the sides.
Old 26th September 2012, 09:14   #12086
Senior - BHPian

There was a nasty accident at an unmanned level crossing between Kochi and alleppy, in which all five the occupants of the ill fated Indica lost their life in collision with a speeding train.
Such accidents have become too common in this sector dotted with around 26 unmanned crossings.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hindu.jpg
Picture courtesy The Hindu

Last edited by rajeev k : 26th September 2012 at 09:19.
Old 26th September 2012, 12:01   #12087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
This car seems to be standing there for quite a few days now. I also spotted this one, a few weeks back. Seems like the result of a high speed roll-over. It's banged from all the sides.
But since it is standing at the Police station since sometime, I assume that there was some serious injury caused by the vehicle, otherwise it is not required that the vehicle would occupy space in the Police station.
Old 27th September 2012, 11:57   #12088
BHPian

Lucky escape

http://in.news.yahoo.com/video/russi...115426221.html
brraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 13:28   #12089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
There was a nasty accident at an unmanned level crossing between Kochi and alleppy, in which all five the occupants of the ill fated Indica lost their life in collision with a speeding train.
Such accidents have become too common in this sector dotted with around 26 unmanned crossings.
Attachment 991767
Picture courtesy The Hindu
Why are billions of them so eager to pose for a pic?
aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 14:01   #12090
Senior - BHPian

Train hits college bus, 7 students killed near Siwan

Seven students (including two girls) of a private engineering college, were killed when the Howrah-Kathgodam Express rammed into a college bus at a manned railway crossing near Siwan.
Shocked at the incident, a furious mob set the engine and one bogie of the train on fire, damaged the railway crossing gate and pelted the train with stones.
Full Article & video available here: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/16563565.cms

Ten killed as bus plunges into Purna river in Maharashtra

The bus was on a regular Shegaon-Paturda service carrying around 45 passengers, including several school students.

Full article & video available here: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/16554617.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks