Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 12:59   #12181
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

This the state of my colleague's Honda City.

Accident : He was driving from Chennai to Thindivanam. Around 4.30 pm near Madhurangam ,75km from Chennai ( after Chengelpet) couple of women in their TVS Champ XL tried crossing the highway . Even after screeching breaks, the car did not stop. Car hit them and one of them came crashing into windshield. Fortunately they had minor bruises only. They were sent to the hospital and my colleague drove the car to police station fearing any local backlash.

After Accident Experience :

Police asked to come on Monday morning for complaint or compromise. I also went along with him. Full day we waited and no one turned up to raise a complaint. At 6pm the SI comes and says one of the injured is the daughter of neighboring town SI. We talk to him and he says he will send the person on Tuesday morning for compromise.

Tuesday , again we go there and we have 5 villagers waiting for compromise. We talked to the father of one the daughter (SI), he told to pay 10K and leave. The other guys supposedly the father of the other injured person was literally telling both these girls are heaving injured like hips broken , leg broken , blah blah. It was very evident they were bluffing.
They wanted 20K -30K for compromise.

We told them file a FIR. They were reluctant since their vehicle did not have papers, they were at fault ,etc.

They again called us for negotiations. It was a great comedy of negotiations. At last my colleague settled for 14K since he did not want to travel everyday 80 Kms fighting with these guys. We got the certificate of accident and other legal letters and left by 4pm. At the end we also had to grease the police who helped us in negotiations.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0190.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0191.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0192.jpg  

Last edited by Marlon : 31st October 2012 at 13:00.
Old 31st October 2012, 14:42   #12182
BHPian

There was this news all over the tv and the local papers.

A bus registered to VRL had crashed into a truck and the damage was quite heavy. 2-3 people lost their lives and several injured.

Apparently the driver was sleepy and could not control the bus.

AFAIK , VRL is quite safe , they have 2 drivers for each trip where one driver takes over after half journey .
Old 31st October 2012, 14:45   #12183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~h View Post
Picture of car here http://www.newsbullet.in/india/34-mo...%20in%20Punjab

He was in the backseat, and no apparent damage to the passenger cabin..seatbelt might have helped.
Thats indeed what the autopsy reports say:
Quote:
Doctors of the Civil Hospital, Jalandhar, who performed Bhatti’s autopsy say the impact of injury could have been less had he fastened his rear seat belt. Incidentally all the front seat passengers had survived the accident.
Source: Jaspal Bhatti accident puts spotlight on deaths due to lax seat belt norms
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 19:12   #12184
BHPian

A very gruesome accident happened to day in the wee hours of the morning in Cochin. A guy on a friends Yamaha R1 crashed into a tree killing himself immediatley. The bike was totaled and scene was just out of a slasher movie. Lets pray for the departed soul. The guy lost control of the bike on a gentle turn in edapally in speeds upwards of 200 and jumped the median, went off the road and hit a tree, which killed him instantly.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-r1-crash.jpg  

Old 31st October 2012, 19:24   #12185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
bike on a gentle turn in edapally in speeds upwards of 200
200 on a controlled environment like a moto gp is dangerous. On normal roads, its just plain stupidity.

I feel sad for the parents to have spent so much of effort by time energy and every other possible way to loose the child to his ignorant behavior

This is sad for the parents who do not deserve this. Please do not try these stunts to drive fast in a bike. I am tempted to say i have no prayers for the departed soul but would avoid the rudeness.

Sad and terrible

Last edited by VW2010 : 31st October 2012 at 19:26.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 19:48   #12186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
This the state of my colleague's Honda City.

...We got the certificate of accident and other legal letters and left by 4pm. At the end we also had to grease the police who helped us in negotiations.
Did not know that a TVS champ can do such a heavy damage. Or was the car damaged when lying at the police station?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st October 2012 at 23:53. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire post as it may inconvenience small screen / mobile users. Thanks :)
Old 31st October 2012, 19:57   #12187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki

Did not know that a TVS champ can do such a heavy damage. Or was the car damaged when lying at the police station?
It's probably due to the soft parts intended for pedestrian safety. I'm more surprised the car could still be driven, after all that. Good thing the radiator wasn't damaged?!
Old 31st October 2012, 21:29   #12188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77

It's probably due to the soft parts intended for pedestrian safety. I'm more surprised the car could still be driven, after all that. Good thing the radiator wasn't damaged?!
May be your right. We drove the car to Chennai without any problems.

The TVS champ had few scratches only.
Old 1st November 2012, 01:09   #12189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Search this very thread, you can see very interesting debates on this topic. Don't want start another one, but seeing all these pictures, I can say Honda City is not among the sturdier cars out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
May be your right. We drove the car to Chennai without any problems.

The TVS champ had few scratches only.
You guys drove the car with that broken windshield? or did you remove it? Any particular reason for not availing tow truck.

Last edited by ecenandu : 1st November 2012 at 01:11.
Old 1st November 2012, 01:27   #12190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu

Search this very thread, you can see very interesting debates on this topic. Don't want start another one, but seeing all these pictures, I can say Honda City is not among the sturdier cars out there.
You need to refresh your views. Those are crumple zones for pedestrian safety. It also has GCON or GOA body as they call it . Have u seen a slightest of damage to the engine chamber or the cabin?? I state this after a crash on the notorious mumbai-Pune expressway about 5 years back when a truck broke down all of a sudden on the right most lane. I rammed my city zx vtec into the rear not a single thud felt inside the cabin ,all the impact was taken by the crumple zones. I would anyway prefer a car which saves your bones probably lives and gets crumpled itself..I swear by the Japanese technology for safety. A very good example was just a few posts above about the civic.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 1st November 2012 at 12:21. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
docaxe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 02:01   #12191
Senior - BHPian

Did I say Honda City is not safe car in my previous post.
Quote:
I can say Honda City is not among the sturdier cars out there.
By which, I meant its body panel are not the strongest when compared to other cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post
You need to refresh your views. Those are crumple zones for pedestrian safety. It also has GCON or GOA body as they call it .
Yes, I am fully aware of the crumple zones, and the safety rating it got in ENCAP.
Old 1st November 2012, 02:15   #12192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Yes, I am fully aware of the crumple zones, and the safety rating it got in ENCAP.
Nothing against the City or nandu bro . But, Honda City has ENCAP rating ? as far as i know, Honda City doesn't have euro ncap rating.Its just a regional/local model right? Pardon me, if I'm wrong here.
Old 1st November 2012, 02:51   #12193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Awesomeness View Post
A very gruesome accident happened to day in the wee hours of the morning in Cochin.
Complete Account of the Accident on this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
....This is sad for the parents who do not deserve this. Please do not try these stunts to drive fast in a bike.
+100

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 1st November 2012 at 02:54.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 09:28   #12194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Nothing against the City or nandu bro . But, Honda City has ENCAP rating ? as far as i know, Honda City doesn't have euro ncap rating.Its just a regional/local model right? Pardon me, if I'm wrong here.
Yes, you are correct, it is only having ANCAP(Australasian) rating and not ENCAP.

Here is the link

Link

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2012 at 16:06. Reason: As requested
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 10:43   #12195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

You guys drove the car with that broken windshield? or did you remove it? Any particular reason for not availing tow truck.
The visibility was ok. We had another alto. So the alto was like a pilot vehicle and we cruised in speeds of 20-30 km/hr. It was literally like towing but without the rope.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks