Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2012, 09:53   #12211
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Mumbai, Nov 4 (Agencies): A 35-year-old woman was arrested for allegedly ramming her luxury BMW car into an autorickshaw under the influence of alcohol in suburban Mankhurd, injuring four persons, including a woman, seriously. One of the four injured died in hospital later.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bmw_0411121.jpg

According to police, BMW driver Aarti Shetty, who was driving the car at a very high speed, lost control and rammed the vehicle into an auto rickshaw, injuring its occupants Mohammed Ali, his wife Mobina Zahir Ali, son Mohammed Raza and auto driver Nasir Sayyed early morning on November 1.

Mobina Zahir Ali died at the civic-run KEM hospital here at about 2.15 AM, said S G Rajput, Senior Inspector, Mankhurd police station.

Shetty was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the accident which took place on Sion-Panvel Highway in suburban Mankhurd, police said.

Shetty, who was going towards Navi Mumbai at around 4.30 am, did not stop her vehicle even after hitting the auto and tried to flee from the scene only to hit a dumper parked on the street.

Shetty has been booked under sections 279 (rash driving) and 338 (causing grievous hurt by an act endangering life or personal safety of others) of the IPC and section 185 (drunk driving) of the Motor Vehicle Act.

Shetty, who was granted bail, has also been booked under IPC section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), police said. However, the offence under the section 304 was also bailable, police added.

Shetty, wife of a logistics businessman, was also undergoing treatment for injuries at a private hospital.
Sunilrj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 23:49   #12212
Senior - BHPian

A Freak accident and a Funny Incident

A freak accident occurred yesterday at Thalayolapparambu, in Kuttayam district of Kerala near the DB College. A guy parked his car and was standing at a distance and after sometime he noticed a car moving without control and falling to a 15 feet deep cutting upside down. He also participated, in fact he led the rescue operations and when the doors were opened no one was found inside the car. Then only he recognized that the car was in fact his own.
Fun never had it so good.
The Malayalam daily Malayala Manorama carried this news item today.
Link: http://epaper.manoramaonline.com/eda...ent_panel.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car333.jpg  

rajeev k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 10:35   #12213
Senior - BHPian

4 deaths in last 5 days on Noida Expressway

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/17107580.cms

Quote from above article:

23.6-km stretch between Noida and Greater Noida, and was hailed as a marvel of engineering that brought the two cities closer to each other and Delhi. But soon, accident statistics started piling up. And now, with four people having died in the past five days, fresh questions are being asked about commuter safety on the stretch.
During an on-the-spot assessment, TOI found that although the e-way was recently spruced up before the Formula One event, it continues to be without several basic infrastructural amenities. The expressway lacks emergency services like fire stations, tow trucks and ambulance services. The stretch has just two PCR vans, one at both ends — Mahamaya flyover in Noida and Pari Chowk in Greater Noida.
Unquote.

How long will we blame the authorities for non-implementation of safety measures?

I feel Car Drivers should accept the facts that exists in this country & drive with utmost care & patience. To me loss of a life in accident is biggest possible loss than anything else.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 11:03   #12214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh
4 deaths in last 5 days on Noida Expressway

I feel Car Drivers should accept the facts that exists in this country & drive with utmost care & patience. To me loss of a life in accident is biggest possible loss than anything else.
True, not to mention that its the worst and most unfortunate way to die.
Old 6th November 2012, 15:38   #12215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Fun never had it so good.

Didn't see this article on the newspaper, as i was simply rushing through the pages. Thanks for sharing. This is seriously fun. Was he high? How could he possibly forget like that ?! My friends even went laughing at this after I told 'em.

MOD NOTE - Please proof read posts before submitting it.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd February 2020 at 09:03. Reason: Mod note attached.
akhil_rpmlover is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th November 2012, 15:42   #12216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post

Didn't saw this article on the newspaper, as i was simply rushing through the pages.Thanks for sharing. This is seriously fun. Was he on drugs or what? How could he possibly forget like that ?! my friends even went laughing at this after I told 'em this.
It was in the front page of Kottayam edition of Malayala Manorama of November 5, 2012. The owner appeared so funny; perhaps your reasoning could be true.

Last edited by rajeev k : 6th November 2012 at 15:43.
Old 6th November 2012, 15:48   #12217
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if it appeared in this thread, but there were 2 accidents in Kerala last week reported in the newspaper involving cars that went underwater.

The 1st involved a guy who was reversing the car near a church/temple located near a river and by mistake reverses into the water and drowns. Infact it took the rescue folks a long time to even trace the car.

The other involved a group of 4 guys driving off the pier into the water due to low visibility. While 2 of them broke the windows and managed to save their lives, two others lost their lives.
Old 6th November 2012, 16:25   #12218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The 1st involved a guy who was reversing the car near a church/temple located near a river and by mistake reverses into the water and drowns. Infact it took the rescue folks a long time to even trace the car.
It happened near Kottayam on the road towards Kumarakom. The wife was locking the gate when the car accidentally fell into the river. If I remember correctly a kid lost life in this mishap.
Old 6th November 2012, 16:45   #12219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

EDIT: By the way, I think the driver of the Xylo is to blame entirely.
As can be seen from the pics, damage to Xylo was not much, considering it hit a tanker. Whether or not Xylo was doing high speeds, by the time it hit tanker the speed might have been drastically reduced.

There was no major damage to windshield.

Reports mention Naidu, who was asthmatic, struggled for oxygen.

There were no facial injuries on him except one on his left temple.

While using seat belts is advisable, I do not think Naidu would have survived this because seat belts do not prevent you from hitting the sides of the vehicle, which seems to be the case here.

Reports indicate that the tanker driver suddenly turned right to make a U turn without warning.

Last edited by simplyself : 6th November 2012 at 16:49.
Old 6th November 2012, 17:04   #12220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
As can be seen from the pics, damage to Xylo was not much, considering it hit a tanker. Whether or not Xylo was doing high speeds, by the time it hit tanker the speed might have been drastically reduced.
Of course. Speeds will reduce if you spot it and brake hard before the accident.

Quote:
While using seat belts is advisable, I do not think Naidu would have survived this because seat belts do not prevent you from hitting the sides of the vehicle, which seems to be the case here.
So you're saying the seat-belt would not have helped at all?

While you aren't strapped into your seat as you would be in a car with a 3-point / 4-point harness (the sort you find in racing / sports cars) a seatbelt will certainly prevent you from being thrown around if the car meets with an accident. Watch this video:

Quote:
Reports indicate that the tanker driver suddenly turned right to make a U turn without warning.
The tanker is indeed wrong for not signalling his intentions and stopping in the right lane on the highway without indication. But at the end of the day, it is the person driving behind the tanker who should be aware and cautious enough to keep distance from such vehicles on the road. There is no point blaming the tanker because he is an idiot and he will never learn. But the fact remains that the Xylo rammed the rear of the tractor and not the other way 'round.
Old 6th November 2012, 17:18   #12221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k
It happened near Kottayam on the road towards Kumarakom. The wife was locking the gate when the car accidentally fell into the river. If I remember correctly a kid lost life in this mishap.
The one you mention was sometime ago. This one happened last week and only the driver/owner (an elderly person) was in the car.
Old 6th November 2012, 17:50   #12222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I met with an accident today. A speedy swift banged my car from behind when I was waiting at a red light. I was in neutral without my foot on the brakes. The impact was to strong that my car moved forward and stopped only after 10 feet inspite my braking hard.d. .
Whenever I stop at signals / park on the road sides I apply handbrakes.. almost an involuntary action. This is something I learnt from my trainer and cousins.
I'm just wondering now whether this would be a good practice in situations like above. Because, inertia might play a havoc on the passengers seated inside -depending upon the speed at which the bang happens !
Foreseeing such incidents, should I place my foot on the brake so that I have better control.
Old 6th November 2012, 18:13   #12223
Senior - BHPian

^^^More than keeping foot on the brakes, it would help to keep glancing occasionally at the RVM to see if any maniacs are speeding down upon you and then plot the next course of action.

An i10 kissed the rear of my Baleno today. My car and some four cars in front stopped without issues when the lead car braked to avoid a biker coming the wrong way from under the Gemini flyover, but the i10 guy was not quick enough. Sounded & looked minor, so I drove off - no point starting a good day with a pointless argument. The last time I confronted the ladydriver who banged her M800 into the rear of my car in a similar scenario, her query was "But why did the car guy upfront have to brake?" What do you reply to such intelligent queries ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 6th November 2012 at 18:24.
Old 7th November 2012, 01:01   #12224
Distinguished - BHPian

"But you stopped!"

"Yes, did you want me to kill the woman who walked in front of me? Couldn't you see her too?"

That was my last rear-ending. Just regard bumpers as disposable
Old 7th November 2012, 01:14   #12225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
That was my last rear-ending.
I remember reading your post in your introductory thread (all those years ago); it also mentioned a rear ending in the Swift. Relapse? ;-)

Regards,
Harshal.

Last edited by Harshal.Bhosale : 7th November 2012 at 01:15.

Most Viewed