Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2012, 18:44   #12316
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Hit and run case:
This happened on the fly-over near McD' on link road, Borivali, Mumbai on 21st night. The rickshaw was rear-ended by a speeding Lancer on the fly-over. The tyre marks of the rickshaw stretched in different directions upto several meters [seen in one of the pics] which indicates that it was a high speed impact and the it lost control completely after the impact. No tyre marks of the Lancer were seen. Probably the guy never braked. The front grill of the lancer was lying at the spot. People present there said that the police has found the number-plate of the car too. The sad part is that a kid who was a passenger and the who was driver was thrown out of the rickshaw lost their lives. Another passenger was said to be serious.

Another incident which I experienced today while travelling from Pune to Mumbai by a Shivneri [MSRTC VOLVO]. The driver was driving without any issues till Lonavala. After a break at Lonavala, in the ghat section, I found the speed of the bus quiet high on many curves. On the curve before the Kamshet tunnel I decided to go up to the driver and ask him to slow down. By the time I ask my co-passenger to excuse me, the bus entered the tunnel, there was water seeping through the roof, the driver gave some steering input and the tail of the bus started swinging voilently form side to side. After swinging for 4-5 times, the driver could regain traction. Those were the scariest road moments of my life. For the first few moments no one noticed that the bus had entered an over-steer and were looking at me wondering why I suddenly clutched the front seat.
We made the driver wait for a while after passing the tunnel and then continued our journey. Luckily the bus was in the middle lane and got ample space to swing around. Also there were no other vehicle close to the bus.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-231120123304.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-231120123306.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-231120123307.jpg  

Old 26th November 2012, 18:53   #12317
BHPian

an A-Star probably without ABS :: Re: Accidents in India - PICS

A couple of weeks ago - during my morning walk.

AStar (without ABS - or am I mistaken ?) : the tread marks show locking of tyres on a turn.

- It is not a very tough curve though. Over-Speeding ?..

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-31102012347a.jpg

- A little nearer.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-31102012345.jpg

- View of the tracks from the boot.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-31102012344.jpg

- Interior view of Dash. (Ouch - Poor folks)

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-31102012343.jpg

- Exterior Dash

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-31102012342.jpg

- Tyres have not lost much tread though. Over-speeding hmm...

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-31102012341.jpg

- Front is a disaster (luckily - for the car only)

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-31102012340.jpg

- Parting shot.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-31102012339a.jpg

Last edited by DieselDon : 26th November 2012 at 18:54.
Old 26th November 2012, 18:55   #12318
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: an A-Star probably without ABS :: Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
A couple of weeks ago - during my morning walk.

AStar (without ABS - or am I mistaken ?) : the tread marks show locking of tyres on a turn.

Only two tread marks, seems to be understeer rather than a lockup.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 22:52   #12319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
High speed probably being the cause of the understeer.
Nice road!
Old 27th November 2012, 01:13   #12320
Senior - BHPian

Had to pass thro this accident in the morning at near Shoolagiri in Chennai Bangalore road.
The accident had made sure the traffic stood standstill for around 3 hours in the morning today. If there were any like me, who had planned to attend office and started at 4 am from Bangalore today their plan would have gone for a toss.

For the road expansion, the NHAI had diverted both onward and return traffic on one side on the road. At around 4 am the visibility was limited to some 10 odd meters thanks to the foggy conditions. I am guessing thats when the SETC bus has rammed Airawat of KSRTC. Cant help but imagine the horror of sudden shock people would have faced seated in the comfort of Airawat.

Had never seen Volvo bus being hit so badly in person till date.
Sorry for poor image quality. Took it when passing thro

Did anyone else get stuck too?
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20121126_065126_735.jpg

Last edited by xingamazon : 27th November 2012 at 01:16.
Old 27th November 2012, 13:06   #12321
Distinguished - BHPian

There was a HUGE accident on the Gurgaon expressway going towards manesar, near the the two overpasses at Airtel.
Did anyone catch this?

An innova, maroon, had gone into a mini truck, and the steering was at the middle row.
Front right was non existent.
Even the truck was ripped on the rear left.

I didnt dare look too close, as I am sure there would have been body matter at least on the driver's side.
Old 27th November 2012, 13:33   #12322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is not a very tough curve though. Over-Speeding ?..
Oversleeping would be more likely, or under-steering.

The seat belt was not in place, looking at the bulge on the windshield. Hope no serious injuries.
Old 27th November 2012, 14:09   #12323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Isn't this car lying near Kadri Park police station? When I saw it for the first time from the side, I thought it was a Mercedes.
Yeah this is the same one! it wasn't there the next day though!
Old 27th November 2012, 14:44   #12324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AStar (without ABS - or am I mistaken ?) : the tread marks show locking of tyres on a turn.It is not a very tough curve though. Over-Speeding ?..
The A star was taking the right turn through the right side and perhaps seing another vehicle coming from the opposite side applied breaks and rurned to the left side hitting the fence post.
Why people stick to the right side, which is quite common, is unknown.
Old 27th November 2012, 15:14   #12325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The A star was taking the right turn through the right side and perhaps seing another vehicle coming from the opposite side applied breaks and rurned to the left side hitting the fence post.
Why people stick to the right side, which is quite common, is unknown.
Nope. This specific road is a divided four-lane road. (Unless someone was coming in the wrong direction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
High speed probably being the cause of the understeer.
Nice road!
This road is known for late night driving related issues (which is coming down recently - Thanks to extra security efforts.)

The Road was recently laid for the COP-11 inside HITEX/HICC/Novotel Complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Oversleeping would be more likely, or under-steering.

The seat belt was not in place, looking at the bulge on the windshield. Hope no serious injuries.
Yes : Looks like it was a 'no seat belts' situation. They should have learned the lesson.
Probably No Serious Injuries: The car interior was clean. No 'red' marks.
Old 27th November 2012, 15:16   #12326
Distinguished - BHPian

This doesn't look like a blind corner. Might have been a dog running out; might have been a person. Might have been the desire not to injure another being. All might-haves...
Old 27th November 2012, 15:27   #12327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
For the road expansion, the NHAI had diverted both onward and return traffic on one side on the road.
Why can't NHAI make proper diversions with temporary dividers in such expansions/repair? I saw similar diversion on NH@ after Agra and trust me, it is only luck that is preventing accidents. In fact, there was no warning for the drivers on the correct side of the road for the oncoming traffic!
Old 28th November 2012, 12:08   #12328
BHPian

Spotted a two wheeler accident at about 1025am near TV tower mext to Mekhri circle Bangalore.
It was really shocking. A helmet was fallen on our side of the road and on slowing down, we saw a middle aged man fallen face down on the road, unconscious. It really sent shivers down my spine. Traffic came to a halt.

Someone in a car managed to call an ambulance, it arrived in 5 minutes and traffic police came rushing from the mekhri circle signal and finally managed to reach. They picked up the person and took him away. I doubt if he could have survived as he wasnt responding to repeated efforts to awaken him.

From the accident site it looked like he must have hit the divider. The road while coming from mekhri circle towards tv tower takes a sudden unscientific turn and many times if one is not slow enough one can hit the divider as the road on either side of the divider is rough.

Guys please wear a proper size helmet which fits tightly around your cheeks and always close the strap. This person's helmet had come to the opposite side of the road although his moped was next to him. I was frozen and wasnt able to ride for sometime seeing this.

Please ride safe guys. Leave 10 minutes early so as to avoid rushing to your destination.
Old 28th November 2012, 12:18   #12329
BHPian

Saw an accident in Ahmedabad, sadly don't have any pics.

For those who belong from here, Sola flyover has a service lane running parallel to it. I was in a car along with my friend driving and a couple of them sitting in the back seat. We had just started on the flyover when I turned around to talk to one of my friends and i saw a speeding 3 wheeler tempo taking a sharp turn to get on the service lane . It must have been a last minute decision because he was already near the ramp to enter the flyover. His speed was way over what the thing could handle and it turned turtle . It flipped twice throwing the tempo guy out of its cabin. And it rolled over a cycle guy coming from the opposite direction .
Fortunately there were no serious injuries.
Old 28th November 2012, 12:30   #12330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On top of speed, looks like driver was not buckled up. Crack on front windshield indicates a hit from inside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks