Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2012, 01:11   #12421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
But, the real cause of the accident is not known.
It was revealed that the accident was caused due to a tyre burst, causing the car to loose control then hit the median. The car then toppled thrice before landing on it's roof.
RIP.
Old 20th December 2012, 01:42   #12422
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwiz1 View Post
It was revealed that the accident was caused due to a tyre burst, causing the car to loose control then hit the median. The car then toppled thrice before landing on it's roof.
RIP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Just wondering how 7 people managed to fit into the i20. I just wish they were all buckled up. And setting out for a drive at 2 am is not the wisest thing to do!
Won't overloading a car cause undue stress on the tyres and make them more prone to bursting? What is the load rating on normal tyres?
Old 20th December 2012, 02:30   #12423
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Won't overloading a car cause undue stress on the tyres and make them more prone to bursting? What is the load rating on normal tyres?
Keep in mind the tires would have to endure much higher pressures during the middle of the day when the asphalt is really hot. Bumping into the median or hitting a rock at high speeds with or without these additional passengers would cause the same result.

Not much wrong with a mid night joy ride, as long as 5 people are strapped up in their seats, and there is no alcohol, or high speed involved.
Old 20th December 2012, 11:06   #12424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Telugu Film actor Yasho Sagar killed in a road accident in Karnataka in the early hours of Wednesday.

South Indian movie actor Yasho Sagar, who played the lead role in the Telugu film Ullasanga Utsahanga, was killed in a road accident in Karnataka in the early hours of Wednesday.

The accident took place on the highway in Tumkur district, near Bukkapatnam, at about 4pm.

Yasho Sagar and his friends - Viswanath Reddy, Lokesh - were driving in a Maruti Swift from Mumbai to Bangalore. Viswanath Reddy was driving the vehicle, Yasho Sagar was sitting next to him, and Lokesh was sitting behind.

Reports say there was no other vehicle involved in the mishap. It is believed that the driver lost control of the car and then hit a bridge. Television visuals of the scene of the accident show the car as having been severaly damaged in the front.

Yasho Sagar and Viswanath Reddy are believed to have died on the spot. Their bodies were taken to a mortuary in a government hospital nearby. Lokesh has been severely injured.

Yasho Sagar, a film producer's son, hailed from Bangalore. Ullasanga Utsahanga was his debut movie.

Source: fullhyderabad.com
He was a close friend of one of my friends, i had heard he was quite well off and owned a couple of supercars. Not sure who the Swift belonged to and why he was travelling in it all the way from pune. In any case, if one does not buckle up then you are leaving it to fate to save you. Seems to be a VDI (looking at the picture since it does not have alloys) and hence no air bags too and also another pic below, may be disturbing since the deceased seems to be still in the car.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/12121...nt-near-tumkur

Last edited by gurudutt : 20th December 2012 at 11:08.
Old 20th December 2012, 11:47   #12425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Another accident on ECR today...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/17685375.cms

As per TOI, there were 4 occupants and all escaped with minor injuries. Guess they were all lucky...the sight of that upside-down car would have made anyone believe that there would have been serious injuries/fatalities.

Glad that they all escaped with minor injuries.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 11:54   #12426
BHPian

Saw a car at the flyover before reliance autozone from Bellandur side on ORR.

The car was almost in V shape, looked like an alto or old model zen, but didnt see any other vehicle which it might have hit.

Any idea how this accident happened?
Old 20th December 2012, 13:05   #12427
BHPian

Saw a badly mangled BMW X1 at the RK puram- sector 5 red light. airbags had deployed and the entire front and one side was mangled. anyone have any info on this?
Old 20th December 2012, 15:57   #12428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
....Not much wrong with a mid night joy ride, as long as 5 people are strapped up in their seats, and there is no alcohol, or high speed involved.
Not really. Your reflexes tend to be kinda low when you drive mid night. On top of that low visibility, glare from on coming vehicles, reckless and possible DUI by fellow road users doesn't make it all that safe to venture out so late.

Typically these kids, prolly in the 19 - 20 age group would have very less driving experience to hit the highway like ECR at the wee hours of Sunday morning.
Old 20th December 2012, 19:18   #12429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMonSter View Post
Saw a badly mangled BMW X1 at the RK puram- sector 5 red light. airbags had deployed and the entire front and one side was mangled. anyone have any info on this?
Saw that in the afternoon too, on the way back. White X1, front and right side damaged, front right suspension collapsed. Wasn't there early in the morning (7 AM) when I had crossed the area. Looks like he ran a red light and had an altercation with a bus (or maybe the bus ran the red light).
Old 20th December 2012, 19:45   #12430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
He was a close friend of one of my friends, i had heard he was quite well off and owned a couple of supercars. Not sure who the Swift belonged to and why he was travelling in it all the way from pune. In any case, if one does not buckle up then you are leaving it to fate to save you. Seems to be a VDI (looking at the picture since it does not have alloys) and hence no air bags too and also another pic below, may be disturbing since the deceased seems to be still in the car.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/12121...nt-near-tumkur
It was friend's car. He had gone go purchase costumes to Bombay and couldn't get flight tickets. Friends forced him to come along. Driver seemed to have slept which caused the accident.
Old 20th December 2012, 20:35   #12431
BHPian

**MODS PLEASE DELETE IF INAPPROPRIATE**

All ACCIDENTS 100 % ARE CAUSED BY THIS: An Application for Driving Licence supposed to be signed by an RTO Officer. These Applications are not signed by RTO Officials, but by Driving Schools. In the portion marked yellow, no details are entered. Getting a Licence is as easy as buying a Coca Cola from your neighboring Store. Just walk into any Driving Schools, pay around Rs.5,000/- to Rs.10,000/- and your Licence will be ready next day. This is the state of affairs in all RTO Offices. On the brighter side, our RTO Offices have authorization to issue Licence only for Road and not for Air. Imagine a Auto Driver getting a Licence to drive a Volvo Bus or a Boeing 747? WE have to watch helplessly as these morons drive on the roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-rto.jpg  

Last edited by Sarvodaya : 20th December 2012 at 20:36.
Sarvodaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 22:37   #12432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your reflexes tend to be kinda low when you drive mid night.
I beg to disagree to this particular point. Yes, your reflexes will be low once you are tired.
Old 20th December 2012, 22:41   #12433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

I beg to disagree to this particular point. Yes, your reflexes will be low once you are tired.
Agreed. Not to forget when you are sleepy too!! That typically happens only during such wee hours unless you are those nocturnal types.
Old 20th December 2012, 22:56   #12434
BANNED

Quote:
Not really. Your reflexes tend to be kinda low when you drive mid night. On top of that low visibility, glare from on coming vehicles, reckless and possible DUI by fellow road users doesn't make it all that safe to venture out so late.
Point is - it is not illegal. The roads have less traffic, and college kids may have nothing to do in the morning. Even now everytime I am in Bangalore, I am jet lagged, and the only time I feel like going out is after 11.00pm. Safety because of drowsiness is a concern that is the reason they make red bull.

Just driving at mid night is not illegal. Breaking the speed limit, not wearing seat belt, and overloading is. We also need to be realistic in setting expectations for teenagers and youngsters. When they are convinced driving at midnight with a few beers is safe, all we can ask for is to get a designated driver, and follow the rules.
prasadee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 22:59   #12435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
**MODS PLEASE DELETE IF INAPPROPRIATE**

All ACCIDENTS 100 % ARE CAUSED BY THIS: An Application for Driving Licence supposed to be signed by an RTO Officer. These Applications are not signed by RTO Officials, but by Driving Schools. In the portion marked yellow, no details are entered. Getting a Licence is as easy as buying a Coca Cola from your neighboring Store. Just walk into any Driving Schools, pay around Rs.5,000/- to Rs.10,000/- and your Licence will be ready next day. This is the state of affairs in all RTO Offices. On the brighter side, our RTO Offices have authorization to issue Licence only for Road and not for Air. Imagine a Auto Driver getting a Licence to drive a Volvo Bus or a Boeing 747? WE have to watch helplessly as these morons drive on the roads.
Very true. And i have already posted similar experience of mine when i went for Driving test. I am not sure if these RTO guys ever get to know that a driving license issued by them to someone not qualified caused an accident ?

Also, heard that the Zen accident i posted was caused due to rash driving. Seems the Zen had hit couple of two wheelers and a truck and then ended up like this ! A colleague of mine says he was there around the time when accident just happened. However, i did not see any news today. I hope this thread once again becomes an eye opener !

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 20th December 2012 at 23:03. Reason: Grammar mistake

Most Viewed