Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2013, 15:10   #12676
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
something's fishy. even in the 2nd picture, the water has not gone past the window. how come then the driver/passenger did not get out?

also, how did that Audi get dragged out into the water?
You read it wrong there!

Its said the owner did try to get the car out when the initial water level rose due to high tide but he wasnt successful.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 15:33   #12677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks for sharing altoman. From the pictures it seems this has happened in the Grade Separator (in front of the PCMC building). This is the road I take for my daily office commute. It is quite wierd that a car should topple in this section. This is a 4-lane road, absolutely straight (with no turns whatsoever). The only reason I could think of is, the Dezire might be doing 80+ or triple digit speeds & before reducing the speed, might have sharply turned the steering wheel in order to avoid hitting an obstacle (could be a vehicle in front). Any idea what was the cause of this accident?
At first glance, I thought the car somehow fell from the upper (old mumbai-pune highway) road. Yes, indeed weird to see a car topple on such a nice (sub-way) road.
Old 28th January 2013, 16:57   #12678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
At first glance, I thought the car somehow fell from the upper (old mumbai-pune highway) road. Yes, indeed weird to see a car topple on such a nice (sub-way) road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks for sharing altoman. From the pictures it seems this has happened in the Grade Separator (in front of the PCMC building). This is the road I take for my daily office commute. It is quite wierd that a car should topple in this section. This is a 4-lane road, absolutely straight (with no turns whatsoever). The only reason I could think of is, the Dezire might be doing 80+ or triple digit speeds & before reducing the speed, might have sharply turned the steering wheel in order to avoid hitting an obstacle (could be a vehicle in front). Any idea what was the cause of this accident?
What I heard from the bystanders is the car was speeding. They saw the woman scolding her husband (second picture) for driving fast.
Old 28th January 2013, 23:47   #12679
Senior - BHPian

A pile up near Tirumangalam signal towards Mogappair. Four vehicles were involved, two Swift, one Swift Dzire and a Hero Honda Splendor.

White Swift - Swift Dzire - HH Splendor - Silver Swift. The accident happend around 4:30 PM. The guy riding the Splendor got serious injuries. The bike got mangled beyond recognition.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image19272.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image19282.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image19302.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image19292.jpg

Last edited by ecenandu : 28th January 2013 at 23:50.
Old 29th January 2013, 08:59   #12680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
A pile up near Tirumangalam signal towards Mogappair. Four vehicles were involved, two Swift, one Swift Dzire and a Hero Honda Splendor.

White Swift - Swift Dzire - HH Splendor - Silver Swift. The accident happend around 4:30 PM. The guy riding the Splendor got serious injuries. The bike got mangled beyond recognition.
The white swift and the front of the dezire are moderately damaged, but the boot of the dzire, shocked. That speaks for the quality of the sheet metal in the dzire. Seems the silver swift was doing much high speeds and if the splendor guy was stuck beteween those two, i even can't imagine his plight. He survived due to God's grace.
Old 29th January 2013, 10:40   #12681
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friends,

Another deadly accident on Mumbai - Pune Expressway claiming 5 lives:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/18232829.cms

This accident happened barely 200 meters from the spot where two Marathi actors died couple of weeks back & it happened in exactly the same manner.

Businessmen Ajit Lalwani and Prakash Salve were travelling to Pune on Monday morning and Mr. Lalwani was driving the car. After crossing the Kamshet tunnel, Mr Lalwani may have lost control of the wheel, due to which the speeding car jumped the divider and crossed over to the opposite corridor and collided with the van which was going towards Mumbai.

The impact was so severe that two cars were struck to each others & two cranes had to pull them apart. The car in the photograph in above new article is mangled really badly.

Thanks,
Old 29th January 2013, 21:28   #12682
BHPian

Saw a video of a terrible accident being circulated on Facebook. The video is about an accident which probably took place today in Banashankari area of bangalore. The victim, travelling in a BMTC bus probably put his head out of the window (which is much bigger than a normal city bus elsewhere in india) while trying to wave at someone and his head got smashed against the rear of a parked lorry. Does anyone know about this incident. I cant share the link since the video is unwatchable due to the nature of the injury.
Old 29th January 2013, 21:36   #12683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Saw a video of a terrible accident being circulated on Facebook. The video is about an accident which probably took place today in Banashankari area of bangalore. The victim, travelling in a BMTC bus probably put his head out of the window (which is much bigger than a normal city bus elsewhere in india) while trying to wave at someone and his head got smashed against the rear of a parked lorry. Does anyone know about this incident. I cant share the link since the video is unwatchable due to the nature of the injury.
That came in here sometime back. But got reported and deleted. It was way too graphic .
Old 29th January 2013, 21:40   #12684
BHPian

Kundapur: Car Lands into Gorge, One Killed, Four seriously injured

By Yogish D Kumbhasi, Team Mangalorean Kundapur

Kundapur: One person was killed and four were seriously injured when the car they were travelling landed into a gorge near Arate Mullikatte here on January 27

All the five are working for a Security firm in Kanakapura, Bangalore and were on a tour to visit holy places in Udupi on January 26. They had visited Tala Cauvery, Malpe and stayed overnight in Murdeshwar. On January 27, after visiting the temple in Murdeshwar, they were on their way back to Bangalore.

On reaching near Arate Mullikatte bridge, the driver trying to avoid a vehicle coming from the opposite direction, hit a milestone and the vehicle landed in a gorge. Raghu died on the spot. Four people, who were seriously injured have been admitted in the Kundapur hospital.

A case has been registered in Gangolli Police Station.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-201210x1x587.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-201210x1x587001.jpg  

Old 29th January 2013, 22:42   #12685
BHPian

Saw an accident in the Outer Ring Road, Hyderabad near APPA in the morning at 0840. A Ford Figo smashed into the rear of a Tata Indica cab. An ambulance was there on the spot and a small kid in uniform was sitting in it. He seemed to be ok. Saw one guy sitting near the Figo. His face was red and looked swollen. More than that he looked like he was in shock. Guessed that he would have been driving the Figo. The front of the Figo was damaged and both airbags were deployed. The Indica bore the brunt of the impact. Boot was damaged and fuel tank was leaking. Rear glass was shattered. The front seat had come off. Could not see the damage inside other than this as I was passing by in another cab. Some time back came to know that a person I know was in that cab and he suffered head injury. But nothing to worry of. Could not speak to him on the details. It was a shared cab going to the airport.
Could not take pics.

It was raining in Hyderabad today evening and just as the rain started, saw one Figo with its front wheels resting inside a drain in the airport road. Then half an hour later, when I reached Gachibowli, saw live action. A Ritz was approaching the Gachibowli junction from the Outer Ring Road with its wheels locked and screeching on the wet road. I guess it skidded maybe 50 metres or more before it came to a halt. The car held its line and stopped just in time before it could hit vehicles crossing the junction. And I was, may be 15 metres away on the road waiting for my car to arrive. I could see the driver, a spectacled thin guy bracing for impact, fear written all over his face. But since nothing happened, he seemed to act cool as if he carried out a stunt. I saw a Fortuner or doing a similar thing on the same spot yesterday. Only the time was different. May be around 2015 hrs. The Fortuner did not lock its wheels. I could hear squeaking sounds intermittenly. No screeching. Just when I thought it would hit the Innova which was stopped in front, the Fortuner steered left and stopped parallely to the Innova. In the movies, this would have been a parking stunt. But it left me shocked. As I had seen the speed of the vehicle and thought that this was a sure accident. What I saw was a huge black truck like vehicle hurtling very fast and straight towards a parked Innova. I was just opening the door of my cab to alight. I was careful enough to look for vehicles before opening the door. But as soon as I opened and stepped out, I started hearing these squeaking noises and panicked. For a moment I thought it was because of me opening the door that some vehicle was braking. But then I saw this scene. Luckily all ended well.

Note from Support - Please use the Edit button within 30 mins of submitting your previous post instead of submitting back-to-back posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 1st February 2013 at 10:01. Reason: posts merged
Old 31st January 2013, 12:23   #12686
BHPian

Just read about this one:
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/gujarat-v...903-3-238.html

Quote:
Gujarat: Van carrying pilgrims rams into bus, 23 dead, many injured

Ahmedabad: Twenty-three people, including children and women, have been killed in an accident that took place near Patan in Gujarat late on Wednesday night. 18 other people were injured when the van they were travelling in, was hit by a Gujarat state transport bus.

Most of the victims belonged to a single family and they were all returning after offering prayers at a nearby dargah. A few of the injured are in a critical condition.

Police say the van was picking up passengers when the bus headed straight into them.
Horrible, to say the least. I wonder how fast the state transport bus must been have been going to cause such extensive damage
Old 31st January 2013, 13:56   #12687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binzone View Post
Just read about this one:
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/gujarat-v...903-3-238.html

Horrible, to say the least. I wonder how fast the state transport bus must been have been going to cause such extensive damage
Really sad incident, the cause reported by a local reporter is the tyre burst, front right tyre of the open tempo (35 folks sitting/standing on the floor of the tempo) burst and it hits the oncoming transport bus. I hope we improve on our transport infra soon to avoid such horrible incidents.
Old 31st January 2013, 14:50   #12688
Senior - BHPian

saw this overturned tempo at the Madiwala market signal day before yesterday evening while i was heading home. don't know if anybody was injured.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_9957.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_9958.jpg
Old 1st February 2013, 15:15   #12689
Senior - BHPian

Another pile up on Ymunana Expressway:
http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/f...e-otherstories

According to news a 5 year old kid lost his life. There was another pile up in Detroit and there 2 kids lost their lives.

Both the pileups resulted in kids' deaths, why? Because we never consider belting them up seriously and this callousness results in fatalities.

Request all, to belt up your kids while driving to ensure safer journeys.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 15:42   #12690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
According to news a 5 year old kid lost his life. There was another pile up in Detroit and there 2 kids lost their lives.

Both the pileups resulted in kids' deaths, why? Because we never consider belting them up seriously and this callousness results in fatalities.

Request all, to belt up your kids while driving to ensure safer journeys.
You are comparing apples and oranges. In the US it is mandatory for all passengers to be buckled in and children below a certain height to be in child seats.

I can understand your sentiment regarding the Yamuna Expressway pile up but not about the Detroit one.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed