Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 12:26   #12721
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Isn't it a little ironic that a truck carrying CO2 could explode into such a big fire? Isn't CO2 used in fire extinguishers?
Check the link. There is a comment from a eyewitness. Press can ignite fire with CO2 as well.
Old 13th February 2013, 12:58   #12722
BHPian

Just read about this ghastly incident:

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/mumbai-ca...7.html?from=HP

Anybody having more details. 5 dead! I wonder if it was again a drunken driving episode. Sympathies to the families of the deceased... RIP!
Old 13th February 2013, 13:05   #12723
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT but a situation just waiting to happen here. In a surprise check yesterday morning many private bus drivers were caught drunk while driving their route.

What is more shocking is the fact the checks were conducted between 0630 and 0930AM!!!
Old 13th February 2013, 13:23   #12724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Just read about this ghastly incident:

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/mumbai-ca...7.html?from=HP

Anybody having more details. 5 dead! I wonder if it was again a drunken driving episode. Sympathies to the families of the deceased... RIP!
Hi,

It says "2 dead and 5 injured". On NDTV they are mentioning Honda Accord and showing pic of a BMW. Could be a BMW was also damaged in the accident?

Regards,
Old 13th February 2013, 13:23   #12725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Slightly OT but a situation just waiting to happen here. In a surprise check yesterday morning many private bus drivers were caught drunk while driving their route.

What is more shocking is the fact the checks were conducted between 0630 and 0930AM!!!
This is indeed shocking. Drunk before 9.30am? 99.9% of private buses are rashly driven. Add drunk drivers and it will be 100%. The driver's license should be suspended for atleast 6 months or more. Suspending the license wont make any difference according to me. To see this from not happening again, they should be cancelled.
Old 13th February 2013, 13:30   #12726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

This is indeed shocking. Drunk before 9.30am? 99.9% of private buses are rashly driven. Add drunk drivers and it will be 100%. The driver's license should be suspended for atleast 6 months or more. Suspending the license wont make any difference according to me. To see this from not happening again, they should be cancelled.
When we met with an accident in broad daylight at around 11.30am,the driver of the culprit bus was drunk.As far as the license issue is concerned,I still have the license of that bugger(3 months post accident ) and cancellation is out of question as its a fake one.Moreover cancellation will not be possible till we have a central database for all licenses and registration of vehicles.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 13:43   #12727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Suspending the license wont make any difference according to me. To see this from not happening again, they should be cancelled.
At least in this instance, police has recommended license cancellation to the RTO.
Old 13th February 2013, 13:48   #12728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
When we met with an accident in broad daylight at around 11.30am,the driver of the culprit bus was drunk.As far as the license issue is concerned,I still have the license of that bugger(3 months post accident ) and cancellation is out of question as its a fake one.Moreover cancellation will not be possible till we have a central database for all licenses and registration of vehicles.
I know this is not possible but I wish. Moreover, cops will let these drivers off since most of the buses are owned by politicians and other cops. Go to any intersection in Kerala, or atleast in Cochin. You can see buses breaking all rules imaginable and yet cops help them to cross the junction. I personally witnessed a scene yesterday. Blocking a free left is very common in Cochin. Buses do that all the time and yet no action. A car beside me was blocking a free left. A cop comes near the car and starts yelling at him. He had to take the left. I signaled the cop and showed atleast 5 buses blocking the free right opposite the junction. I asked him what about them. He was like "Leave it, no point talking to them".
Old 13th February 2013, 14:08   #12729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I've always said its a tin foil car, especially the boot. All these just helps to validate my statement.
You're spot on. So many instances of Dzire boot suffering damage in many accident pics. Infact in the incident I described above, the security guard commented, "Dzire leke aaya tha ab Swift leke jayega" (translated - he drove in with a Dzire but will take back a Swift when he returns) Although harsh, it actually sums up the state of Dzire after the accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Not able to understand the significance of the Civic marked in the representation.

Opps..in my description I forgot to mention how lucky the Civic guy was to avoid getting a scratch. The building mgt. has a completely flawed parking strategy and such accident highlights the potential dangers.

Quote:
Though it looks small, the repair bill on that i10 is not going to be small for sure. There could be a lot of 'shaken' parts under that hood.
Possible but believe me, the i-10 looked in a very good shape as compared to the Dzire. Wish I had the Dzire picture to post.

What I'm unable to fathom is, assuming Dzire was doing say 40-50kmph when he turned and braked suddenly. Is this speed enough to cause so much skidding and fish tailing?
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 14:12   #12730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post

What I'm unable to fathom is, assuming Dzire was doing say 40-50kmph when he turned and braked suddenly. Is this speed enough to cause so much skidding and fish tailing?
Maybe he braked just after hopping off a speed breaker? and was turning at the same time? Knowing the Dzire's skinny tires it's possible.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 14:32   #12731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hi,

It says "2 dead and 5 injured". On NDTV they are mentioning Honda Accord and showing pic of a BMW. Could be a BMW was also damaged in the accident?

Regards,
My bad! The link as such mentioned the other way: 5 dead and 2 injured in the address bar.
BMW and Honda Accord.. The pic of the Accord suggests it has been nasty.
Old 13th February 2013, 14:32   #12732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Maybe he braked just after hopping off a speed breaker? and was turning at the same time? Knowing the Dzire's skinny tires it's possible.
We are speaking about multi-level car parks here which almost always have a much smoother surface comparable to floor surfaces than the tar or concrete. The surface would offer enough grip for speeds below 20 but not for anything more than that. Doing a 40-50 here is may be equivalent to doing over a 100 during rains on a highway. The stock JKs on my Swift used to cry for grip at every turn in my office parking lot even at 15-20 km/h.

Incident clearly shows how ignorant most drivers are about road surface they drive on.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 10:52   #12733
Senior - BHPian

Spotted two accidents on my way back home yesterday. The first one seemed relatively minor, with a bike rear-ending a brand new (on temp plates) Duster. People had surrounded the bike guy and the Duster guy was allowed to leave. There seemed to be a dent on the Duster's boot lid. I didn't get a good look, so it could also have been just a play of light.

The second one was more severe with an XUV having taken a hit on the left front. The XUV was just being moved from the accident spot when I reached. I didn't see any other vehicle which could've been involved in the accident. The XUV definitely needed replacement of atleast front bumper, bonnet, front LHS fender and headlights.
Old 14th February 2013, 19:26   #12734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I recd these pics from a friend in Surat. The incident happened at a beach not very far from Surat. Dont have further details on the event. Its said the owner did try to get the car out when the initial water level rose due to high tide but he wasnt successful. Pretty sad.

Attachment 1043671

Attachment 1043678

Regards,

Some guys really have a lot of money to blow!!! What a waste of a fine engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Saw the same Swift during my morning commute.
Couple of pics:
Attachment 1048692

Attachment 1048693

While I saw the scene in the morning, I noticed some twisted metal at the rear and assumed that it was the rear-hatch door. When I was looking at the photo during lunch time, to my horror realized that the hatch door is where it should be and that huge piece of twisted metal is either from the roof or from the left side of the car!

While driving back home, had a quick glance at the swift and the left side was indeed torn. Bad accident. Hope people survived.
Thanks for posting these. Had seen these while on my way to Powai, but couldn't click pictures due to the traffic. Really scary. Worse part is that from the regn number, the vehicle would hardly be 2-3 months old.
I too hope that the occupants survived.

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option to reply to multiple posts, instead of submitting back to back posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 15th February 2013 at 09:53. Reason: Merged posts
Old 14th February 2013, 22:55   #12735
BHPian

A Volkswagen Vento owner crashed at 180 kmph into a trailer. Fortunately, both the occupants survived. In case you are wondering if its a typo, no its not. News in today's Prabhat khabar.Accident happened on the Adityapur Toll-Bridge. I am just wondering as to how people can even think of doing this. .

Important Points to note:

1. Eye-witnesses + the toll bridge cameras recorded the car's speed to be 180 kph. Not that people are saying that by looking at the stuck speedo.

2. ABS & Airbags were the Men of the match. Eyewitnesses said that the driver, on seeing the divider braked fully, BUT was also able to steer the vehicle. Though a trailer came into his path is another matter. The air-bags saved the occupants. Also, the driver was wearing the seatbelt, while the owner wasn't. Likewise the owner got heavily injured than the driver. Underlines exactly what Rehaan said the other day. ABS+ Airbags are effective only if you are wearing belts. If you don't wear belts, don't bother buying a car with these safety features. It is a waste of money for you.

3. Happened yesterday night at 12 AM.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1422013mdjm1_1609x937.jpg  

searchingheaven is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks