Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2013, 22:01   #12781
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Horrific accident in Ahmedabad. Hope the rider survives, he is still in a critical state.
Quote:
Ahmedabad: The driver of a speeding black BMW abandoned the car seconds after it hit a tree, but it is the minutes before that which are recorded in chilling detail on security cameras outside a shopping complex nearby.

At midnight on Sunday, the BMW collides with a motorcycle, flinging its two riders into the air.

25-year-old Shivam Dave would die on his way to hospital minutes later. His friend, Rahul Patel, who was steering the bike, is in critical condition.

What the 20 seconds of footage do not show is the driver. The police say that after hitting the motorcycle, the driver of the BMW kept going, dragging the bikers for about 200 metres, before hurtling into a tree. At this point, they say, the driver left.

The car is owned by a local doctor, Amit Shah. He says his driver was at the wheel, and is now missing.

The young men on the motorcycle were on their way home from dinner. Two other friends were following them on a scooter. They claim they spotted the driver running away from the car.
Source: http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/c...ome-topstories
Old 26th February 2013, 22:09   #12782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Horrific accident in Ahmedabad. Hope the rider survives, he is still in a critical state.
Source: http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/c...ome-topstories
Horrifying indeed !! The way the bikers were flung in air was shocking !!

The BMW was at a good speed. May be because it was pretty late at night.
But let me gather some bad name by saying that the bikers were at a big fault. Who does confidently taking a right turn to enter a lane by facing the oncoming traffic ? That was like inviting death !!! Too bad judgement on the bike rider. Resulted in killing his friend (pillion).

Hope bikers learn to drive the safe way.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 22:19   #12783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
But let me gather some bad name by saying that the bikers were at a big fault. Who does confidently taking a right turn to enter a lane by facing the oncoming traffic ? That was like inviting death !!! Too bad judgement on the bike rider. Resulted in killing his friend (pillion).
Soumyajit9, I stayed in Ahmedabad for a year and noticed absolute disdain for traffic rules. I am not too sure about this case but in my experience I have seen most riders in Ahmedabad not wearing helmets. OTOH if the BMW driver had been in some sane speed he might have been able to avert the collision. It's really sad to see young lives being lost to such accidents.
Old 26th February 2013, 22:20   #12784
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Agree 100% Soumyajit. The bikers didn't even bother to slow down before taking a right turn at a junction. They just turned without even looking. The biker almost parallel to them slowed down to look.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 22:50   #12785
BHPian

Quote:

Agree with Soumyajit. Hypothetically even if the car was being driven at 60kmph, i think the accident could not have been avoided. Complete disdain for traffic rules by the biker did him in. If the bigger vehicle involved in this case was a municipality lorry..this incident would have been relegated to the inside pages and forgotten but since it is a BMW 7 series, it will be highlighted by all and sundry (apparently the local papers have made it a point to highlight that the car costs 88 lakhs).

PS : I am not taking the view that the car driver is innocent - he is guilty of overspeeding and also fleeing the scene.
Rajeev1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 22:55   #12786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Soumyajit9, I stayed in Ahmedabad for a year and noticed absolute disdain for traffic rules. I am not too sure about this case but in my experience I have seen most riders in Ahmedabad not wearing helmets. OTOH if the BMW driver had been in some sane speed he might have been able to avert the collision. It's really sad to see young lives being lost to such accidents.
I feel sorry about the guys and the BMW is to be blamed too. I agree it was at insane speed for which it couldn't be slowed down. The news said that there were friends in a scooter alongwith them, which is shown in the CCTV Footage. They slowed down while taking the turn, but these bikers - smarta** morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Agree 100% Soumyajit. The bikers didn't even bother to slow down before taking a right turn at a junction. They just turned without even looking. The biker almost parallel to them slowed down to look.
Those parallel to them were his friends, who seemed sensible guys.

Nevertheless, every life lost is a sad incident. Hope people (2,3,4,8 wheelers) learn from this and be more sensible on roads.
Old 26th February 2013, 23:29   #12787
BHPian

This incident is indeed very sad. A friend was near the accident scene, he told me the following :-

The car involved was a 7 series(could be wrong though) bearing a Chandigarh license plate. The guy who was driving soon left the spot in a car driven by one of his female companions .

The BMW was being driven way over the speed limit when this accident took place.
Old 26th February 2013, 23:31   #12788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I agree ! The bikers didn't take the roundabout to take the right turn. But our law will always blame the driver of the more expensive vehicle for any accident.
The car driver on the other hand should have exercised caution when approaching the intersection.

If it was Bangalore , we would have seen 20 speed breakers come up at this junction or the entire road would suddenly be made a one way road.
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 09:54   #12789
Senior - BHPian

I stay in B'lore and there are hundreds of crossings like this. Not to mention, the traffic signals of B'lore are pretty much weird. Say the signal is green (take left, right, straight) and people are zooming through. All of a sudden the oncoming traffic signal turns green and suddenly the right green stops and its only go straight for my lane. Two wheelers still gather courage and take forcible right turn into the oncoming traffic !!! I have seen people (2&3 wh) getting hit by bus, truck, cars. Eventually the 'hitter' take the blame, not the illegal 2 & 3 wheelers.

B'loreans can relate this, if you are travelling on ORR between Marathalli and Sarjapur, there are a hundred cuts in between and bikers (and ofcourse 4,6 wheelers too) sneak into those. The permissible speed limit on this road for 4wh is 70kmph (I guess). No sane person can stop a car at 70kmph if someone suddenly sneaks into your lane !! I guess we need to buy those Ferraris and Porsches to deccelerate at that rate.

Coming to this accident, I again have strong reservations against the 2 wheeler. The BMW was speeding, no doubt, but who can stop suddenly if someone comes in the middle of the road !!!
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 10:09   #12790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
I agree that bikers were at fault,and turned without looking.
However if the BMW was driven at sane speeds,it could have been avoided.
The Bikers made a mistake,as they could not spot the BMW which ran over them at a high speed,had it been slower,the bikers would have got a time window to cross the BMW,or the BMW driver would have got enough time to react.We all make mistakes,but the biker had to pay for it with his life.
Old 27th February 2013, 10:41   #12791
BHPian

Horrific. Notice how one of their friend on scooter, gets off the scooter and looks left to check oncoming traffic before he runs to see his friends. Kudos to that guy for maintaining sanity even in the face of such a tragedy having taken place right in front of him.
The ill fated bikers should have learned something from their friends and bothered to look before they jumped into incoming traffic. Very Sad end to a young life
Old 27th February 2013, 10:49   #12792
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I agree that bikers were at fault,and turned without looking.
However if the BMW was driven at sane speeds,it could have been avoided.
The Bikers made a mistake,as they could not spot the BMW which ran over them at a high speed,had it been slower,the bikers would have got a time window to cross the BMW,or the BMW driver would have got enough time to react.We all make mistakes,but the biker had to pay for it with his life.
True. The more and more I hear and see such accidents, I feel greater need for a dash camera. Especially for car drivers. While in this case the BMW is at fault overspeeding, there are many such cases of 2 wheelers popping out from bylanes at good speeds in front of cars but the car guy gets blamed for not stopping. A dash cam will be very useful in such cases.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 11:01   #12793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True. The more and more I hear and see such accidents, I feel greater need for a dash camera. Especially for car drivers. While in this case the BMW is at fault overspeeding, there are many such cases of 2 wheelers popping out from bylanes at good speeds in front of cars but the car guy gets blamed for not stopping. A dash cam will be very useful in such cases.
I agree,Dash cams or ORVM cams are pretty useful,and friend has one in his car and sometime back his wife was driving and the car was hit by a Domino's Pizza delivery guy who was in a hurry,the video was shown to the guy's manager,and the matter was settled.
Old 27th February 2013, 11:01   #12794
BHPian

Quote:
100% agree with you. Do you get such cameras in India. How does the recording happen I know I a bit
Old 27th February 2013, 11:21   #12795
BHPian

I travel to Ahmedabad often for work and its a common scene there for bikers to pop out from no where without looking left, right or in that matter anywhere. Worst there are sometimes 3 or even more people on the bike.

Cars are no better, the fashion of driving in the opposite direction is viral in Ahmedabad.

At round about if a traffic is moving in one direction the bikers in the front will even challenge the flow of the traffic, I have even seen them trying to squeeze in front of trucks.

A distracted driver will easily run-over such bikers.

I believe if you don't care for your own life don't expect strangers on road to take care of yours.

OT:

This also reminds me of an incident few years back when a young biker jumped in front of me through a broken median at Dharavi. I braked saved the biker, caught up with him and calmly told him agar suicide karna hai to koi sarkari gadi dhoond le (If you want to commit suicide find a government vehicle) why bother me. The smile on his face vanished.

Most Viewed