Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2013, 11:21   #12796
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

One lesson from the Ahmedabad BMW accident we can learn is that on the road two wrongs never make a right.

It was wrong on the part of both drivers to not slow down at the intersection. These kinds of accidents typically happen during late night or early morning hours when the roads are empty and people think they are the only one's out on the road. THat's why I am always extra cautious while driving at odd hours. Even if signals are working and showing me green, I always slow down to a crawl , look and proceed. During the day time Bangalore traffic keeps me safe.
Old 27th February 2013, 11:42   #12797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
So this is what happened today in a multi car pile up. My dad was driving and he had to apply sudden brakes. I wish my car had ABS . Anyway, now the car will be shifted to the A** tomorrow. As far as i can see , the bonnet, bumper are affected. Lets hope the HID's installed work. Will update you guys tomorrow. And lastly any idea about the estimate ? My dad is a little shaken up so didnt ask him other details. I never thought my car would make it to this thread !!

Aditya
Aditya, sorry to see your ride dented. Hope it didn't cost you much to get the damage repaired.
On another note, you have installed HIDs without projection lenses? Do you realize that such a set up impairs the vision of oncoming traffic as the regular parabolic reflector tend to heavily disperse the powerful illumination of a HID. As BHPians we need to respect the law of the land - if you wish to have a HID, get an aftermarket Projection assembly for your ride. If one is not available, better uninstall the HID and revert back to Halogens.
Old 27th February 2013, 12:15   #12798
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC77 View Post
100% agree with you. Do you get such cameras in India. How does the recording happen I know I a bit
We have a thread on dash cams. You can quote my post and continue the discussion there since we are going OT here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post3050452
Old 27th February 2013, 12:18   #12799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC77 View Post
100% agree with you. Do you get such cameras in India. How does the recording happen I know I a bit
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=in+dash+camera

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=android+car+blackbox
Old 27th February 2013, 14:32   #12800
Senior - BHPian

That was very hard to search for.
Old 27th February 2013, 14:48   #12801
Senior - BHPian

Another high profile BMW hit and run case. Just came to know the Owner's son was at the wheels and has confessed.

Although they were to blame, sad to see lives of the young bikers going this way. Don't they even think twice about what their parents will go through when they get to see their badly mangled bodies? Oh wait, its almost always the parents who give in to these little kid's demands and give them their motorbike. Sigh! When will this cycle end?
RIP to the poor souls. Not the way to go.
Old 27th February 2013, 15:49   #12802
Senior - BHPian

Ifs and buts w.r.t BMW accident. Had the bikers decided to go around the roundabout instead of literally cutting corners, they would have been alive today.
But, as things stand, someone lost his life and the other person lives to bear the guilt and the blame, all of which was so easily avoidable in hindsight.
Old 27th February 2013, 15:57   #12803
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Another set of bad news from Mumbai:

1. A Tanker hits a Police van on Western Express Highway at 1:40 am, killing a 23 year old constable & injuring 31 policemen (including 10 women cops). The Tanker was doing speeds of 100 kmph+ & hit the police van so hard that the van flipped several times & finally hit a Auto rickshaw.

2. A speeding Best Bus driver saw the Vashi Toll lanes clogged with trucks & suddenly switched to wrong side of the roads & hit a coming Taxi head on. This accident left Taxi driver & 9 year old passenger dead. Irony - father of the girl too is seriously injured & has not been told of his daughter's death. These people have their lives distroyed just because of a silly mistake of a Best Driver.

Full Article here:
http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/...njures-36.html

Thanks,
Old 27th February 2013, 16:07   #12804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Ifs and buts w.r.t BMW accident. Had the bikers decided to go around the roundabout instead of literally cutting corners, they would have been alive today.
But, as things stand, someone lost his life and the other person lives to bear the guilt and the blame, all of which was so easily avoidable in hindsight.
+1

Moreover, it is always smarter to pause at a crossing, look for oncoming 'danger' and cross when its safe. The bikers took everything for granted and lost their lives. BMW driver, on other hand, was over speeding and could have avoided the accident if was in controlled speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
2. A speeding Best Bus driver saw the Vashi Toll lanes clogged with trucks & suddenly switched to wrong side of the roads & hit a coming Taxi head on. This accident left Taxi driver & 9 year old passenger dead. Irony - father of the girl too is seriously injured & has not been told of his daughter's death. These people have their lives distroyed just because of a silly mistake of a Best Driver.
Driving on the wrong side and killing people should be treated as murder instead of 'culpable homicide not amounting to murder'. The BEST driver killed people to save his five minutes.
Old 27th February 2013, 16:17   #12805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
+1

Driving on the wrong side and killing people should be treated as murder instead of 'culpable homicide not amounting to murder'. The BEST driver killed people to save his five minutes.
+1 should be classified as murder and attempt to mass murder (if there is something like that) what if instead of taxi the other vehicle was a tanker loaded with petrol or hazardous gas or another bus loaded with people. The death toll would have been in 2 digits.
Old 27th February 2013, 17:02   #12806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
The BEST driver killed people to save his five minutes.
He would have not even gained 30 seconds by pulling such a stunt. He would have had to pull over at the next bus stop and hence would have lost all the hypothetical time that he would have gained. I don't understand why people like that stupid bus driver don't realize this important fact about city traffic. You do not gain any time by pulling such stunts and jumping red lights.

I encounter lots of signal jumpers on my daily drive to work only to find them stopped at the next signal or the one after that.
Old 27th February 2013, 17:25   #12807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
He would have not even gained 30 seconds by pulling such a stunt. He would have had to pull over at the next bus stop and hence would have lost all the hypothetical time that he would have gained. I don't understand why people like that stupid bus driver don't realize this important fact about city traffic. You do not gain any time by pulling such stunts and jumping red lights.

I encounter lots of signal jumpers on my daily drive to work only to find them stopped at the next signal or the one after that.
Jumping signal in Bangalore is a routine thing. If you don't move then you get stares and sometimes even verbals. For a moment I get confused if am doing the WRONG thing here.
The yellow light before turning red is meant to slow down the approach, instead the exact opposite happens. People speed up when they see yellow to not get stuck in the signal and you can find them waiting at the next one right beside you All this at what cost?
Old 27th February 2013, 17:56   #12808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
The yellow light before turning red is meant to slow down the approach, instead the exact opposite happens.
Even this is not correct. The amber time is strictly for vehicles that had already crossed the stop line to pass through the intersection. Any vehicle that has not reached the stop line should stop at the intersection during the amber time too.

Well, that's the theory anyway. :-)
Old 27th February 2013, 18:02   #12809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Even this is not correct. The amber time is strictly for vehicles that had already crossed the stop line to pass through the intersection. Any vehicle that has not reached the stop line should stop at the intersection during the amber time too.

Well, that's the theory anyway. :-)
I meant the same
Slowing the approach meant to stop at the signal and not cross the signal slowly! May be I was not clear enough, my bad.
Old 27th February 2013, 18:23   #12810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
One lesson from the Ahmedabad BMW accident we can learn is that on the road two wrongs never make a right.

It was wrong on the part of both drivers to not slow down at the intersection. These kinds of accidents typically happen during late night or early morning hours when the roads are empty and people think they are the only one's out on the road. THat's why I am always extra cautious while driving at odd hours. Even if signals are working and showing me green, I always slow down to a crawl , look and proceed. During the day time Bangalore traffic keeps me safe.
Along, expect the single yellow striped, pitch dark 3 wheeled missiles (aka autos) coming in opposite direction many times! (I have even brakes for an taking a U turn in wrong direction.. origin and destination are both wrong!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Jumping signal in Bangalore is a routine thing. If you don't move then you get stares and sometimes even verbals. For a moment I get confused if am doing the WRONG thing here.
The yellow light before turning red is meant to slow down the approach, instead the exact opposite happens. People speed up when they see yellow to not get stuck in the signal and you can find them waiting at the next one right beside you All this at what cost?
Yes, and if you see a BMTC at more than 30 kmph while braking, pull over to safety asap; if you can't, jump the signal to save your / your car's life. I think even cops are okay if you cross red within couple of secs here.

Most Viewed