Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2013, 08:43   #12961
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
Also wondering about the plight of the cars it is carrying inside the container. From the looks of it this is a Gurgaon registered Maruti car carrier. Expect at least 6-10 dented and bruised Maruti cars landing up at some showroom in Bangalore.
Well, technically, it is registered in Rewari (HR-47). But yes, for sure, it must be carrying cars from Maruti Suzuki.

In all probability, the cars would not have been majorly dented or bruised from this accident, since they are secured pretty well inside the carrier.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 09:02   #12962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also wondering about the plight of the cars it is carrying inside the container. From the looks of it this is a Gurgaon registered Maruti car carrier. Expect at least 6-10 dented and bruised Maruti cars landing up at some showroom in Bangalore.
May be it was empty truck. There is a Maruti (Bimal) stock yard in whitefield road, and these trucks usually drop off the cars in the junction.
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 13:34   #12963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
There was a huge traffic pile up on both sides of the ORR in the morning due to the above accident. On my way back at 1300 hrs a crane had come to pull this container truck out. Probably the heavy rains on Sunday night had a part to play.
I take the U turn right at this junction every day. My theory behind this accident is, the truck came down the Mahadevapura flyover in good speed, driver missed to notice the speed hump, crashed into it, lost control and crossed the median.
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:38   #12964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
News flash on Aajtak about an accident in Dadar. A bike and a car crashed causing the death of 2 people on the bike. The driver of the car fled the scene.

More info?
I too read on TOI. Some DJ rammed his OHC in a tree and the car hit 2 people on a bike killing both. Happened around 2am.
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:56   #12965
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Details of the Car / Bike accident near Siddhi Vinayak Temple early Tuesday morning:

A group of bikers were going from Malad to Dadar to work as volunteers Siddhivinayak temple. At 2 am when they were about to reach the temple, Joy Jessi Mendonca a 23 year old DJ lost control of his car, crashed into a tree & the Car finally fell on victim's bike passing on opposite side on the road.

Two people - Vinod Kawaiyya and Pankaj Shah died on the spot despite no fault of thiers. Ironically Pankaj's brother who too was on his way to temple spotted the accident only to find his own brother dead.

The driver of the car does not have a driving license & is arrested after he fled from accident spot.

Both families of the both victims have donated their cornea and skin at Sion hospital which I feel should be sincerely appreciated

Full article here: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/19353583.cms

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 3rd April 2013 at 12:56. Reason: Lnk added
Jignesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 13:02   #12966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
On 24th, a Swift from near my wife's place in Kollam went under a tanker carrying LPG cylinders, killing 3 and seriously injuring the 4th occupant. They were going to Cochin to visit an ailing relative (the husband of one of the occupants who died).
Pic of the Swift and lorry from the Manorama newspaper. You have no chance when you ram a car into the front of a lorry at speed.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-swiftharippaduaccident.jpg
Old 3rd April 2013, 13:42   #12967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
A Volkswagen Vento owner crashed at 180 kmph into a trailer. Fortunately, both the occupants survived. In case you are wondering if its a typo, no its not.
There is no chance of occuppants surviving a 180 kmph head on crash in a passenger car like Vento (or any other similar ones), with seat belts on, airbags, abs and everything. Hitting a vehicle coming against the car would still increase the relative velocity of impact, which might go well beyond 220 kmph or more. (Crediting 40kmph speed to trailer)

Those who witness the incident (or claim to have witnessed) blow these kind of things out of proportion. The car might have been doing very high speeds, but would have slowed down (braking) before the crash and the actual impact velocity might have been way less than 180 kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Pic of the Swift and lorry from the Manorama newspaper. You have no chance when you ram a car into the front of a lorry at speed.
Attachment 1068740

Oh man! Just drove through that road two days back. That part is freshly tarred with no lines. May be a case of sleeping off while driving. One thing is very clear from statistics - accidents due to sleep deprivation happen almost all the time during dawn and not during the middle of the night.

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd April 2013 at 13:49.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 17:21   #12968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
That's a gruesome accident. Am surprised that the windshield of the truck is intact, even after an impact like this!
Old 4th April 2013, 10:12   #12969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
One thing is very clear from statistics - accidents due to sleep deprivation happen almost all the time during dawn and not during the middle of the night.
Very true ,while returning from sabarimala to hyd in jan , i took the wheels from blore since the driver was driving the entire night ,even after having b'fast and tea i was feeling sleepy and doozed off twice for brief 2-3 secs immediately stopped by roadside and rested for about an hour before starting off again, we were lucky to have escaped without any incident .
Old 4th April 2013, 10:56   #12970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Very true ,while returning from sabarimala to hyd in jan , i took the wheels from blore since the driver was driving the entire night ,even after having b'fast and tea i was feeling sleepy and doozed off twice for brief 2-3 secs immediately stopped by roadside and rested for about an hour before starting off again, we were lucky to have escaped without any incident .

Yes, you were lucky to have realized it in the first place. Many people drive the whole night with full energy and they start to relax a bit after seeing the first light of the day (5:45 - 6:30 AM) . That is the time when sleep deprivation kicks in, and it becomes a perfect recipe for an accident.

Last edited by clevermax : 4th April 2013 at 10:58.
Old 4th April 2013, 11:39   #12971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binzone View Post
That's a gruesome accident. Am surprised that the windshield of the truck is intact, even after an impact like this!
The impact has dislodged the front axle of the Eicher which is quite a hit.
Impact looks to be low down and at the corner of the truck and moreover, the sheet metal is not one piece to transmit the impact to the windshield of the truck to crack it.
Old 4th April 2013, 22:45   #12972
BHPian

Quote:

On 24th, a Swift from near my wife's place in Kollam went under a tanker carrying LPG cylinders, killing 3 and seriously injuring the 4th occupant. They were going to Cochin to visit an ailing relative (the husband of one of the occupants who died).
Unfortunately, I had the misfortune to see that ghastly accident unfold infront me and my family. On that day, we had chosen to drive down to Kochi from Trivandrum and the decision was to leave as early as possible with us starting at around 4:30 am. I kept a steady pace of around 80km/ hour though often had those morons who used to jaywalk into the national highway.

A few kilometers prior to that accident spot, the particular swift, a black color one with swift decals on its boot drove into the NH from an intersection. The reason I had taken note of the car was since I was weary of such cases where someone would just cut track and jump onto the highway.

Interestingly, this swift took a careful entry into the highway but shortly after, I could see that the vehicle was rocketing forward closely following the right most path overtaking all the vehicles as though leaving a contingency space for a third row overtake. I was quite certain that sprint was probably at speeds north of 110 km/ hour.

In a few minutes from then, we reach an open stretch and there was just a truck separating my car and this vehicle though the swift was quite ahead. In a bid to overtake the truck, I move to the right lane and then the most gruesome scenes unfold in front of me.

In a matter of seconds, I could see another truck on the opposite track, possibly with its right signal blinking (I guess the truck driver was planning to cut across the highway), I could see the dilemma of the swift driver (if the truck would cut across or would it wait), I could see the swift driver trying the emergency brakes with smoke billowing out of all four wheels, I could hear the screeching sound of the brakes and rubber on tarmac and the helpless effort of man against inertia and finally the sickening sound of metal against metal. It was a straight head-on....and then the truck dragged the swift pushing it to the left lane right next to my left side ploughing through milestones and I could see sparks from metal digging into the tarmac.

In that split moment while trying to push my car to the right most lane and safety, I had a glimpse of what I would prefer to forget for ever. The truck had crushed the engine compartment and was still pushing the swift forward. The whole compartment had crumbled and collapsed onto the front driver and all I could see was his head tilted and resting on the b-pillar.. Honestly my senses shutdown for a few seconds post the gruesome scenes and I stopped the vehicle a few meters ahead. I could see people from nearby factory running towards the accident scene.

The trauma of having witnessed the accident was quite intense and unrelenting and had a tough time driving further.

Read the news later the next day that the person and his family was driving to meet someone at the hospital. RIP to the family that perished!
Kris_risk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 23:53   #12973
BHPian

Spotted today in MC road, near Pandalam Kerala.
Brand new figo hits an electric post in a curve and toppled over.
Luckily didn't land over the transformer located nearby.
Guess it happened at night. No details known.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-04042013.jpg
Old 5th April 2013, 00:28   #12974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_risk View Post

Unfortunately, I had the misfortune to see that ghastly accident unfold infront me and my family.
I completely empathize with your shock at witnessing such a gruesome incident. It's terribly disturbing especially when you have to drive further! I would've even canceled my drive perhaps in your situation!

On the accident itself, it's yet another case of extreme speeds, misjudgment by the driver - of the overtaking manoeuvre and more importantly, his own limitations!

Frankly, if the truck was standing in the opposite lane with it's blinkers on, I don't see any mistake on the truck driver's part! I empathize with him as he'll be in a shock too and might have to live with a sense of guilt all his life!

May the souls RIP!
Old 5th April 2013, 00:48   #12975
BHPian

Quote:
Just FYI, these same car carriers are also used by movers and packers to transport personal cars when people relocate from one state to another. They are not always filled to max the capacity.

My car was transported from Gurgaon to Chennai in a Maruti car carrier along with brand new Swifts and SX4s heading South. Hyundai carriers are also used by transporters for same purpose while shipping new Hyundai s from Chennai to all across India.

Sorry for OT.
DexterMorgan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed