Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2013, 21:43   #13051
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

This one came in the evening. Reporting now. Crazy stuff, RIP the dead souls.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/mumbai-tw...880-3-237.html
Old 12th April 2013, 21:44   #13052
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

A nasty accident has occurred on Jogeshwari Vikroli Link Road (near Poonam Nagar) & couple of people have died.

The exact details of accident are not available but my friend who passed from the spot today evening reported of 12 to 13 vehicles involved & badly damaged.

Managed to get the below pictures from one of the online forums:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-553126_10151566462655272_1570369784_n.jpg

Update:
Newspaper article confirming 3 dead: http://www.mid-day.com/news/2013/apr...-link-road.htm

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 12th April 2013 at 22:01. Reason: Link added
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 09:21   #13053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Try flashing your headlights. It has always worked for me even in day time, more than honking at times. These poor critters are sometimes hard of hearing due to various illness and infections that go untreated. Sometiems they are half blind too in which case honking helps more. I always use both - first flash then honk.

--R
Having gone through this thrice with the same car, 2 dogs and one cat I can confidently say that lights work, horn does not. But what works the best is slower speeds. It does not mean that you can predict the Dog's movement and stop, its just that the same pedestrian safely components break away but the damage is much lesser, consequently repair time and costs. But what one needs to consider is the fact that the dog or cat has almost no reason to stop or try and avoid the accident, only we have. Checking rear and braking hard works the best.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 12:12   #13054
BHPian

I have hit a dog on the Chennai - Bangalore highway when I was driving my friends swift. There is a lot of word play going on here. Slowing down is obviously a solution but emergency braking or strong steering responses aren't always the best.

During my unfortunate incident I had an Elantra travelling in excess of 120kmph less than 3-4 cars behind me. I am not blaming him because he was trying to overtake me when I was doing around 80-90kmph.

I had less than 2 seconds to react after spotting the dog. Now at that instance should I be worried about who's fault it would be or should my response be to get out of the situation unscathed? My natural response was the latter and I slowed down as much as I could without drama and still managed to hit the dog at around 40kmph. Damages were restricted to a broken front grill, fog light and radiator.

I could have always been a hero and swerved but at the cost of startling the guy in the Elantra and possibly forcing him up the median. At least now I can get away with just paying up for the damaged parts.

P.S - The dog actually managed to walk away from the scene of the accident though I am sure it was injured.
flipsyde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 15:57   #13055
Distinguished - BHPian

All dog related responses have been hashed here already:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...rtaking-5.html
Old 13th April 2013, 19:02   #13056
BHPian

This video on youtube captures most of the reasons why accidents happen in India

There are one or two clips which do not belong to India

PC77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 20:14   #13057
BHPian

What happened at 0.58 was scary. It appears to be delhi. Never seen a road which has the traffic criss-crossing each other. Definitely leads to an accident. The C class guy did not stop either at that point.
Old 13th April 2013, 21:48   #13058
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Here are details of deadly accident on JVLR yesterday afternoon:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/19523336.cms

A Truck which went out of drivers control, killed two persons and injured around 12 others on the Jogeshwari-Vikhroli Link Road on Friday afternoon. At least 15 vehicles - five autos, a taxi, six cars and three tempos-were damaged in the accident.
2 dead (Chandrabhaga Jadhav & Arun Jadhav - they were having their lunch)

After crushing the ragpickers, the dumper drove over the footpath for some distance and then jumped back on to the road hitting couple of vehicles.

Thanks,
Old 13th April 2013, 23:10   #13059
Senior - BHPian

I was just watching the above video. What I don't understand is that why don't indian Motorists slow down when they see a person walking across. He may be wrong to cross at that point but that doesn't mean that he should be punished by his life or limb. Respect life and slow down. Nothing should demean a person's right to live. If someone is really stupid even then slow down or stop and give him a mindful or a tight slap for putting his life in danger. But you can't risk his life by driving past him at full speed. What if he just slips or gets scared stiff by your speed. He's dead and you'll be in Jail!
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 23:16   #13060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC77 View Post
This video on Youtube captures most of the reasons why accidents happen in India

There are one or two clips which do not belong to India
Today witnessed exact same at Anil Kumble circle an hour back.

A Santro guy broke signal and hit a two wheeler.
Old 13th April 2013, 23:51   #13061
BHPian

Just saw this on my way home from my wife's place in PTP. Driver (if it was him being loaded into a Police jeep) appeared to be heavily drunk but unhurt.

Location was just past the gates to Kanakakunnu Palace TVM, and the vehicle was going toward CDAC Jn.

We must have arrived just minutes after the event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
What I don't understand is that why don't indian Motorists slow down when they see a person walking across
I see this every day when I drop my baby daughter off at her play school, Chempaka on the Pallimukku Kannamoola one way.

All the morons driving by can see that there are people with small children waiting to cross the road, and they all, without exception, either accelerate or maintain their speed as they pass.

There are even idiots who choose that particular time of day (rush hour, school starting) to take the one way in the wrong direction.

There have even been accidents where kids have been struck by passing vehicles.

I think the police as a policy should post people outside all schools, at least during the start and end of the school day.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another
on the same thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130413_224315.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th April 2013 at 09:09.
Old 15th April 2013, 06:02   #13062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello,

Here are details of deadly accident on JVLR yesterday afternoon:
Here is the video of the same
PC77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 15:29   #13063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC77 View Post
This video on Youtube captures most of the reasons why accidents happen in India
Many drivers just assume that another moving vehicle will continue in its path in the same direction and speed, and adjust their maneouvres to avoid/evade the other vehicle by a narrow margin. No one bothers to give enough room for safety.

Most drivers do not understand the plight of cyclists. Cyclists are always hesitant to slow down or stop. If they stop, they need to use up a lot of energy to start again. In that sense, cyclists are quite predictable. They will continue in the same speed in the same direction. As drivers of motorized vehicles, we should give them way, because we need much lesser effort to slow down to let them go and then accelerate again.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 16:10   #13064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post

Most drivers do not understand the plight of cyclists. Cyclists are always hesitant to slow down or stop. If they stop, they need to use up a lot of energy to start again. In that sense, cyclists are quite predictable. They will continue in the same speed in the same direction. As drivers of motorized vehicles, we should give them way, because we need much lesser effort to slow down to let them go and then accelerate again.
100% agree to this.
If am about to make a left turn, and see a cyclist on my extreme left, I always slow down or stop to let the cycle continue to move and cross the intersection, before I turn left.

Have got angry honks from vehicles waiting behind me to take left, when they see me waiting for a cyclist to cross.

I feel even though slightly faster, they should be given the same right of way privilege we would ideally provide to pedestrians.
Old 15th April 2013, 19:24   #13065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post

Most drivers do not understand the plight of cyclists. Cyclists are always hesitant to slow down or stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binzone View Post
100% agree to this.

I feel even though slightly faster, they should be given the same right of way privilege we would ideally provide to pedestrians.
I plead to disagree here a bit. Pedestrians and cyclists do not have the rights to break the rule.

Pedestrians need to use to zebra crossings and not cross as and when they wish. Many act like traffic police, and wish they can stop a vehicle with a hand gesture , just because he needs to cross. He can also wait. Yes , I agree there are not enough zebra crossings and stuff.

Cyclists, even the new gen, "cycle to office to make it a greener place" ones, believe that cyclists dont have to stop at signals. They underestimate the speed of the incoming vehicle, and many a times fall prey to this misjudgement. In bangalore its becoming more rampant now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks