Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 19:06   #13231
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Is that officially some sort of "bike lane"?? I always used to think that it is shoulder space, which one is supposed to avoid while driving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoulder_(road)
Agreed - it is not an official bike lane. It is the shoulder space you should not be driving on and also where you should park in case you have to get off the road in an emergency.
Old 20th May 2013, 16:15   #13232
Senior - BHPian

I doubt that is the "shoulder". With this lane excluded, there is just one lane (as wide as a bus) available for traffic each way. I doubt such narrow roads can afford the luxury of a "shoulder".
Also, if this were the shoulder, you should be able to park there in emergency, which would not be allowed since it would result in huge traffic-jams.
The "shoulder" in the case of this road would be the couple of metres of dirt-stretch after this tarmac ends.

At the same time I don't have any proof of why it is a bike-lane. Will check around and get back.
Old 21st May 2013, 09:04   #13233
Senior - BHPian

Appears there has been an accident on the BETL flyover which has caused a massive traffic jam.

As i type this, the jam is being cleared - as per my colleagues.

Luckily i missed getting stuck in this jam as i reached work at 7.30 am. Phew !!!
Old 22nd May 2013, 13:27   #13234
BHPian

Last week's accident. The pic is self-explanatory. The bus rear-ended a sand lorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2_dsc_0201.jpg  

Old 22nd May 2013, 13:51   #13235
BHPian

An youngster in his early 20's died on the spot on HSR Layout Flyover today at 11.50am morning, though I was behind him, couldn't help much but to just see his helmet fly in air and blood draining out from his head. Ambulance arrived, but since it was spot, they had dialed cops and for few mins, there was a jam on the flyover.

Sad part is he was speeding. I was in my Thar and I could hear my vehicles screeching noise due to sudden breaks, I myself while breaking swerved around a bit, but luckily stopped in straight lane without deviating.

Gruesome incident. Though I have pics would prefer not to upload.

May his soul RIP.

Drive Safe and Ride Safe.

Though we see many cars with Team-bhp stickers with a message "I Drive Safe", many such vehicles wouldn't be actually driving safe.

The stickers are not just for a SHOW to onlookers, we as community members should be an example to others by practicing it.
kicksperliter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 16:52   #13236
BHPian

On my way back home, I found this Lorry on top of the Divider. I have seen countless number of accidents due to this type of Divider in Bangalore. Whom to blame. The road was poorly lit. If it was a car or a two wheeler it would have been worse.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0201.jpg
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:44   #13237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
An youngster in his early 20's died on the spot on HSR Layout Flyover today at 11.50am morning, though I was behind him, couldn't help much but to just see his helmet fly in air and blood draining out from his head. Ambulance arrived, but since it was spot, they had dialed cops and for few mins, there was a jam on the flyover.

Sad part is he was speeding. I was in my Thar and I could hear my vehicles screeching noise due to sudden breaks, I myself while breaking swerved around a bit, but luckily stopped in straight lane without deviating.

Gruesome incident. Though I have pics would prefer not to upload.

May his soul RIP.

Drive Safe and Ride Safe.

Though we see many cars with Team-bhp stickers with a message "I Drive Safe", many such vehicles wouldn't be actually driving safe.

The stickers are not just for a SHOW to onlookers, we as community members should be an example to others by practicing it.
How did it happen? Did some car hit him or he crashed on his own.
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:43   #13238
BHPian

This is not a road accident, but a train accident. However, I feel there is some relevance and hence posting it here.

This morning I went to the railway station to pick up a few relatives. There was a slight commotion in the platform ahead. The cops were taking snaps of something on the tracks. Then I had to see one of the most gruesome scenes ever in my life. A decapitated body with the head lying a few feet away.

Now this was obviously a suicide or an accident. The cops were there. The RPF were there going about their jobs. Must be routine for them.

However, this was a busy railway platform. There were loads of kids and women and several unwary passengers waiting to board the train which was held up just outside the station. No attempt was made by any of the authorities to cover the body in any way. It was so gruesome that, unlike a typical Indian accident scene, there was no crowd build up. So it caught many of the people off guard and am sure it must have left a disturbing picture in their minds. Especially little children.

What prevents us Indians from showing some dignity to the person departed even if he is a stranger. He is a human being after all. The cops were waiting for the ambulance from the GH to arrive and he lay there, like that, for all to see.

I too left the platform, highly disturbed. The scene keeps coming back to me. Imagine what the children must be going through.
SCORPION is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:54   #13239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
How did it happen? Did some car hit him or he crashed on his own.
Since, I was almost 5-6 cars behind, I didn't exactly see how it happened, but definitely it was not the case of hitting to any car which were ahead of me. I didn't see any hit and run options too. I saw a drag mark on the road which was definitely of his bike. The bike too wasn't damaged that bad to assess.

All I could judge is he was speeding and there is a curve on the flyover while descending. He might have tilted his bike and the foot rest might have touched the road (hence the drag mark) and lost balance. I see this as a case of negligent riding as the helmet flung around (which means he had not tied up his helmet strap) not much of a damage to his helmet other than the missing visor (It will be hard to believe if that helmet had visor at all in first place)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
No attempt was made by any of the authorities to cover the body in any way.

What prevents us Indians from showing some dignity to the person departed even if he is a stranger. He is a human being after all. The cops were waiting for the ambulance from the GH to arrive and he lay there, like that, for all to see.
I understand it was gruesome, but at-least you could have made an effort to get some sheet to cover the body (ofcourse with help and co-ordination of the RPF/Police)

You could have made them understand to ensure its been covered. You are also an Indian and you should have shown the required dignity.

You could have looked for options at railway platform, such as plastic sheets/Carton boxes (which I am sure would have been available at railway station stores) something like that)

All I say is you could have taken the lead/initiative.

Before we preach, we need to practice first.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd May 2013 at 14:34.
kicksperliter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:49   #13240
Senior - BHPian

Hold on, if it is an accident scene or a homicide, no one should do anything till the investigation is fully done, right?
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:05   #13241
Senior - BHPian

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20223295.cms

Quote:
AMBALA, PUNJAB: Three members of a family were among four persons who were charred to death when a car in which they were travelling caught fire after hitting a tree on Ambala-Barara road, police said here.
The car, running on gas, immediately caught fire after it hit the tree last night, they said.
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:41   #13242

This happened today morning when I was going to office in GST road.
I was sitting in the last but before seat in the white bus. The driver of my bus had to break hard because of the Lorry in front applied breaks unexpectedly.
My bus driver managed to stop on time, but the yellow college bus coming behind could not stop on time.

IMO the yellow bus was coming very fast, because the first time it hit hard and it rebounded and again hit the second time.

Luckily, no one was injured in this accident.
But couple of kilometers ahead in the same GST road there was man lying on the center median with couple of cops standing next to him, there was also a broken bike, could not take picture of the scene, but if feel he is no more.Two accidents in span of few kilometers. Now a days there are lots of accidents happneing in the GST road.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0366.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2013, 17:27   #13243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The driver of my bus had to break hard because of the Lorry in front applied breaks unexpectedly.
My bus driver managed to stop on time, but the yellow college bus coming behind could not stop on time.
That's two bus drivers driving too close to the vehicle in front. Sadly, the usual situation.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 18:33   #13244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That's two bus drivers driving too close to the vehicle in front. Sadly, the usual situation.
Definitely the usual situation. An incident from a day , a month back.

Our bus was tailgating another bus of our company, but from a different vendor. So the signal turn green. The bus in the front rolls back for an inch (or less) before he could release the clutch and move ahead. But boom, our bus bangs into it, thinking that it would have moved on.

One thing I always say, its a very strenuous job to drive a bus through mad city traffic.
I have sat beside my company bus driver and the way he saves people (bikers in particular) from committing suicide is commendable !!!

So I won't be surprised why bus drivers don't love to keep a gap between them - to avoid bikers from jumping in the gap to die.
Even I do that at times.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 19:43   #13245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
So I won't be surprised why bus drivers don't love to keep a gap between them - to avoid bikers from jumping in the gap to die.
Even I do that at times.
Excellent insights there mate!

You learn something new everyday!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks