Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2013, 11:26   #13606
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
There is no such thing as a "hapless developer". The operate part of BOT ought to require them to provide safe driving conditions for all involved. They need to provide (secure) rest stops for fatigued drivers, address visibility concerns, have patrolling to ensure stalled vehicles in the carriageway do not cause hazards and so on.

MSRDC, the MPEW (which I guess is comparable to the Yamuna Expressway) developer gets at least some of this right. Even then, fatigued (or drunk, or both) drivers do cause accidents here too - meaning a lot still needs to be done (breathalyzer checks at the ingress toll gates?).
I would be glad to see this implemented - however, compared to my limited travels overseas, there are far too many vehicles still stranded in the fast lane on Indian roads, far too many uninformed drivers who wont call a tow truck to be moved away from the main carriageway to safety. patrolling cannot be an answer - it should be there but I think you can never ensure 100% coverage with patrolling. A stranded vehicle may be found too late.

I myself don't pay 100% attention to the helpline numbers on every highway stretch - if a tow away service by the highway operators was centralized , a la, 108 - that may help!

In fact, with all the tech today, maybe someone can write a satellite imagery code (like the NRSC / ISRO did for Kedarnath) to detect stranded vehicles on the highway and send out rapid response teams to investigate - than have them drive around aimlessly all day with no efficiency.

I mean US today has the technology to accurately pinpoint and shoot at suspected militants on a motorbike. Surely tech can help here.
Old 16th July 2013, 18:41   #13607
BHPian

A Lady Vegetable Vendor was killed after a Land Rover hit her after crashing into a tree. Will try to get more details.

The Accident Scene
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-veg_1.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-veg_4.jpg

Land Rover
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-veg_2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-veg_3.jpg
Old 16th July 2013, 18:44   #13608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
A Lady Vegetable Vendor was killed after a Land Rover hit her after crashing into a tree. Will try to get more details.
Land Rover
From the picture of the Land Rover, I get a hint that its Electronics City Police Station? Is that correct?

When did this happen and where exactly was the location of this accident spot?
Old 16th July 2013, 19:14   #13609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

From the picture of the Land Rover, I get a hint that its Electronics City Police Station? Is that correct?

You are right , read a report in Deccan herald that it was driven by an inebriated person.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 19:17   #13610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Here is the news article:

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/13071...down-bengaluru

Some discrepancies are there like Land Rover is mentioned as Range Rover. But still, it seems to be pointing to this accident.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 19:21   #13611
BHPian

Quote:

The accident happened near Naganathapura junction . Four people were killed.
More details here:
http://www.starofmysore.com/main.asp...ews&item=36886

-- Wind
Wind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 08:23   #13612
BHPian

Another car breaks off ORR and splits into two. This is apparently due to "rash" driving, as against driver "losing" control as was written in the paper when the same thing happened to a politician's car
Old 17th July 2013, 09:48   #13613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
The accident happened near Naganathapura junction . Four people were killed.
The tragic thing about the Land Rover accident is that the driver is not in custody till now since he is absconding. As per eyewitness account he was driving under influence. Depending on when he is arrested I am not sure if he will be charged for that since for supporting that claim his blood test results should be produced in court. The accident occurred on Monday night.

Another interesting thing is there are already criminal cases pending against this so called politician
Hindu news article
Old 17th July 2013, 12:22   #13614
BHPian

Another deadly accident on the ORR at Hyderabad on Tuesday. This time it was a Nissan Teana that was involved. As per news paper article, the driver swerved to avoid a water puddle, lost control, hit the median and fell off a bridge at such a high speed that the car was split into two. The owner escaped with minor bruises and the driver sustained fractures.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/21111770.cms

Imagine the speeds he must be doing to literally split the car into two. Unbelievable

Last edited by racer_ash : 17th July 2013 at 12:25. Reason: added info
Old 17th July 2013, 13:15   #13615
BHPian

Dont know what this dude banged into as there was no other car in sight.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20130712_172502.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20130712_172505.jpg  

Old 17th July 2013, 13:17   #13616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Dont know what this dude banged into as there was no other car in sight.

Just a question...doesent the ZXI come with airbags?

If it does then they did not deflate
Old 17th July 2013, 13:34   #13617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Just a question...doesent the ZXI come with airbags?
Only the SXI and Titanium variants come with airbags. ZXI, AFAIK comes with ABS as an optional feature, but no airbags.

For Maruti Suzuki cars, ZXi is the top variant, that comes loaded with airbags, ABS+EBD, alloy wheels, etc
Old 17th July 2013, 13:42   #13618
BHPian

Saw an accident right now:

Was going towards Kunadalahalli gate from ITPL Road. Before Hypercity, there is a major intersection. A girl in her 20's was crossing the road, first a Volvo stopped for her to pass. Then an Indica (Cab) who was on the Volvo's left (speed around ~ 20k) overtook the Volvo. The girl panicked seeing the Indica and slipped on the road. One of her legs came under the wheel. Result: Broken ankle and fractured leg.

The Indica did stop after that to check on her. I was behind the Indica and we stopped too. Soon a crowd gathered.

I was with 2 of my colleagues. Used the first aid kit in my car to stop her bleeding. Then we took her to the Brookefield hospital, the public and the ladies quietly stayed away. Doctors confirmed the fracture. Called her cousin, who took unusually long time to reach the hospital.

I think a fracture is a small enough price to pay for what she was attempting, crossing the road without paying attention. Hopefully she will learn and be a bit more careful.

And now back to work.

Sorry was busy in helping the girl, no pics.

Mods- Please move to appropriate section if required.
pratyush6 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 15:31   #13619
BHPian

Pratyush, A big round of applause to you bro. Good work. Lucky for the girl there was nothing serious.

I am working in an hospital and get to see umpteen number of RTA cases every single day. There are several cases in which a life could have been saved if some passerby had acted like you.

People are often worried that they will be pestered by the police and that they will have to stand witness. Lemme get this straight: you have to just file in the details along with your contact number with the policeman and you are free to go your way. (In case of death / brought dead cases, there are some more formalities)

Good work Pratyush.

Last edited by sharoncr_17 : 17th July 2013 at 15:34.
sharoncr_17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 18:04   #13620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Saw an accident right now:

... first a Volvo stopped for her to pass. Then an Indica (Cab) who was on the Volvo's left (speed around ~ 20k) overtook the Volvo.

I was with 2 of my colleagues. Used the first aid kit in my car to stop her bleeding. Then we took her to the Brookefield hospital ...

... crossing the road without paying attention ...
Hats off to you, for stopping to help and taking the lady to hospital.

Mistake was made by the Indica, the girl's reaction of panicking and slipping is normal human behaviour.
If a bus is stopped and there is space enough for the car to overtake from the left, the bus is in the middle lane/right lane? I would say the Indica driver needed to think about why the bus had stopped, before deciding to overtake from left. And, overtaking from the left is illegal as well - for precisely this reason. You normally don't get a good view of whats ahead of the vehicle to your right.

If anyone has driven in Europe/US/Canada, where people do stop to let others go (like the bus has done), they also teach you that you do this only when you can be sure that there is nobody else on the road who will potentially cause an accident by not following your lead in letting the other person through.

Most Viewed