Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2013, 18:30   #13801
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Its more likely that it was the Santro driver who was overtaking blindly rather than the bus driver. This ghat road connects Sagar and Honnavar and has a lot of blind curves. Truck movement is sparse. Government buses are generally the slow moving vehicles and ones that get overtaken. Tourists take this road to visit Jog falls. I have seen many tourist vehicles driving on this road, overloaded with people in a jolly state, with no regard to safety. Most likely that the Santro driver was trying to overtake another bus in a blind curve and ran into that bus. Rains would have made matters worse.
Yes, you are right Santosh but then again the buses and trucks will irritate you on these stretches if you are not a seasoned driver. That itch to overtake and so called "holiday" mood will drive you faster than your guardian angel can fly! Since I don't have the exact details of who is at fault, we can only speculate at the moment. Hope this is a good eye openers for at least who are reading these posts
Old 17th August 2013, 13:11   #13802
Senior - BHPian

Hello Team, Saw this Honda City ivtec (S) at Ace Honda Noida. It looks that driving in today's time lacks sheer civic sense and city traffic adds to it with bumper-to-bumper driving. On a light note I feel very sorry for any car that has to go through such a thing. Poor thing!!

AD
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-smashed-city.jpg  

Old 17th August 2013, 14:41   #13803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Its more likely that it was the Santro driver who was overtaking blindly rather than the bus driver. This ghat road connects Sagar and Honnavar and has a lot of blind curves. Truck movement is sparse. Government buses are generally the slow moving vehicles and ones that get overtaken. Tourists take this road to visit Jog falls. I have seen many tourist vehicles driving on this road, overloaded with people in a jolly state, with no regard to safety. Most likely that the Santro driver was trying to overtake another bus in a blind curve and ran into that bus. Rains would have made matters worse.
This didnot happen in the ghat section that connects sagar-honnavar. The bus was coming from Yellapura (and hence no chance of it happening in ghat section). This incident actually happened near Talguppa. I have driven my swift many times on this road and have also travelled in buses that ply between sirsi and sagar. The road is not so bad and also the Govt buses are not at all driven rashly. If you are a sedate driver, then nothing can happen to you even during heavy rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Yes, you are right Santosh but then again the buses and trucks will irritate you on these stretches if you are not a seasoned driver. That itch to overtake and so called "holiday" mood will drive you faster than your guardian angel can fly! Since I don't have the exact details of who is at fault, we can only speculate at the moment. Hope this is a good eye openers for at least who are reading these posts
I had posted about an Alto accident that happened near Siddapur in oct 2011 in this thread. (read that here ) They were from Gadag and were returning to Gadag after visiting Jog falls while this Santro was going towards Jog falls. In alto's case, the alto overtook a bus and went directly under the lorry which was coming from opposite direction. The driver of the lorry tried his best to save the alto but couldnt. I guess, even in this case, a bad overtaking maneuver must have caused this.

The 'outsiders' who travel to these places for sightseeing should understand the limitation of the road. These roads dont support anything in excess of 50-60 kmph and overtaking in a blind turn is a strict no-no on these roads.
n_naik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 15:09   #13804
Distinguished - BHPian

Overtaking on a blind turn is a strict no-no on any road, even a flat, urban one.

Sadly, the limitations of road, traffic, weather conditions, are the last thing on the minds of some drivers. "I couldn't drive slower, I had to reach," is the cry from all too many. They don't want to know any better, and will ensure that this thread never slows down.

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 15:31   #13805
BHPian

13 killed as bus rams rickshaw

Hitesh Chavda | TNN

Nadiad: Thirteen persons were killed and one was seriously injured when an over loaded autorickshaw collided with a state transport bus near Nadiad town on Friday.
The accident took place near Andhaj village on Nadiad-Mahemdabad road, nearly seven kilometres from Nadiad.
Police inspector D S Pundiya of Nadiad rural police told TOI, “The bus was on way to Ahmedabad from Pavagadh. Ten of the victims died on the spot, while three succumbed to their injuries while being treated. The bodies were taken to Nadiad Civil Hospital for postmortem.” The deceased include the autorickshaw driver.
All the passengers killed were from Devki-Vansol village of Mahemdabad taluka of Kheda district. A pall of gloom descended over the village when the residents came to know about the accident.
A large number of villagers rushed to the accident spot despite heavy rain.
Those who died on the spot were identified as Yash Barot (10), Alpesh Barot (35), Sunil Rathod (17), Raoji Parmar (40), Dinesh Parmar (25), Mangal Parmar (24), Manu Parmar (34), Thakore Vaghela (25), Raiji Jhala (30) and Arvind Parmar (30). Those who died while being treated were Saroj Parmar (30), Pratap Parmar (20) and Bhupendra Parmar (34).

Could not help sharing the piece of news as it is indeed a very tragic accident ,I happened to pass by the accident site , but not posting any pictures as I didn't take any as a mark of respect to the ill fated passengers of the grossly over loaded rickshaw

Last edited by Stratos : 20th August 2013 at 15:50. Reason: Next post merged.
Old 18th August 2013, 11:26   #13806
BHPian

This bus was involved in an accident yesterday when it rammed into a wall (see bricks in the driver seat). 35 persons were injured and brought to our hospital. None too serious. Thank god.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img2013081700310.jpg  

Old 18th August 2013, 18:55   #13807
Senior - BHPian

Good Evening Team, saw these 2 vehicles i.e A fortuner and the other is unidentifiable car next to my sector's police station while coming from the market. I am afraid if the SUV's occupants survived.

AD
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-misfortune1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-misfortune-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0177_001.jpg  

ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 20:04   #13808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Good Evening Team, saw these 2 vehicles i.e A fortuner and the other is unidentifiable car next to my sector's police station while coming from the market. I am afraid if the SUV's occupants survived.

AD
what did that to the Toyota Fortuner? looks like it rolled over after impact. anymore information?

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2013 at 14:37. Reason: Please do NOT use acronyms when referring to cars (e.g. T-Fort, ANHC etc.). Only full make + model please
Old 18th August 2013, 20:11   #13809
Senior - BHPian

@ironhawk, mate did not get much info on that except that fortuner was probably involved in a back to back collision.

AD
Old 18th August 2013, 20:31   #13810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Saw this Honda [...] lacks sheer civic sense and city traffic adds to it [...]
Couldn't help noticing this, though I expect it is all unintentional. :-)
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 20:52   #13811
BHPian

Today Morning saw accident pileup near amrutanjan bridge in Mumbai-Pune Expressway.
A truck almost climb on a Ertiga Taxi. At least 10 vehicle involve in that accident.

Saw also a Mercedes car involve in a separate accident today morning (Also on Expressway) . I believe Rain & slippery road + high speed caused all the accidents.

Sorry no pics.

Any one have any news on this??
Old 19th August 2013, 09:57   #13812
Senior - BHPian

Good morning team, saw the pic of this enflamed Mahindra Xylo in newspaper today. This happened at Ghaziabad, near Raj Nagar Rail Crossing.

Thanks, good Day

AD
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0181_001.jpg  

Old 19th August 2013, 17:58   #13813
BHPian

Yes, now blame the train driver too!

Headline claims that the driver of the train was over speeding and ran over bunch of earth-burdening suicidal people.

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/india...ims-96146.html
Old 20th August 2013, 15:06   #13814
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a great tragedy. It's easy to take the stupidity of the guy who crosses a railway track without looking, getting killed in the process, and multiply it by 40. I suspect that the actual facts are not quite so simple.

However, there's not much that can be said to excuse beating the driver and hampering rescue.
Old 20th August 2013, 16:31   #13815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Yes, now blame the train driver too!

Headline claims that the driver of the train was over speeding and ran over bunch of earth-burdening suicidal people.

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/india...ims-96146.html
Come on. The linked article's headline says nothing of that sort. It just says that the train was "speeding", not "over speeding". Most trains travel at or near the allowed speed limit for a section, which apparently is 80kmph at the accident location. From what I know of the system, train LPs are severely penalized for breaking speed limits and restrictions.

Even then, people seriously underestimate the momentum carried by a 300-tonne behemoth thundering along the tracks at 80 kmph :-(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks