Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2013, 16:11   #13921
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

In a freak coincidence yesterday, three cars burnt down yesterday on Western Express Highway in Mumbai.
As per a local newspaper, first one was a Logan at Jogeshwari. Second was a Omni at BKC. Third one was a BMW at Malad.
Old 4th September 2013, 16:41   #13922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post

1. If the full force of impact is taken only by the A-pillars, airbags can do little to save a life
2. Re-engineering the car for crash worthiness of Indian conditions does not make economic sense for car manufacturers.
3. More the number of sensors, more possibility of unnecessary deployment of airbags, which increases the cost of maintenance for the car owners. It could also lead to unwanted bodily harm due to wrong deployment
4. Finally, no matter how safe a car is made, all it takes is one idiot driver to invent a new method of causing a crash and killing another (innocent) driver
Dear Rohan, I do agree to your certain ideas with regards to the images of a driver. On your other views i shall like elucidate that it should be made imperative for automotive brands to provide a more pro-active deployment point for the sensors so that irrespective of crash parameters the passanger and drivers are safe.

It is to be put-forward basically among indian brands to make the cars keeping in mind the indian driver's sensibilities and the traffic scenario and they surely can provide a robust alternate to make vehicles safer.

I agree that increasing the number of sensors is not the remedy so it is also to be thought in the prespective of the driver's ideologies which are very much contrary to the rules of logic in india. But to minimize the expense on maintenance the safety should not be by-passed or curtailed.

On your final point, I agree, They never understand the concept of sane and safe driving as they majorily depend on structural rigidity of the car.

AD
Old 6th September 2013, 15:54   #13923
BHPian

This happened at my apartment(last sunday due to rains) a compound wall has collapsed in the parking lot.

Damage: 8 cars(6 total loss, 2 damaged)

1. Ford Fiesta(2010)
2. Maruthi Ritz(2012)
3. Santro Xing(2005 or later)
4. Maruthi Ritz(2012)
5. Wagon R(2010 or later)
6. Polo(2013, 3 months old)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ford-fiesta-large.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ritz-large.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-santro-xing-large.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ritz-1-large.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wagon-r-large.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-polo-large.jpg  

Last edited by SPEEDY_RACER : 6th September 2013 at 15:57.
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 15:57   #13924
BHPian

Major accident reported near Perinthalmanna, Kerala.

13 people dead after a mini bus toppled. More than 25 injured.

Accident seems to have happened as the bus was overtaking in a curve and lost control.

http://www.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bi...RIAL&BV_ID=@@@
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 16:00   #13925
Senior - BHPian

Another bad accident in Kerala. A town to town bus hit a tree,lost control and rolled down the hill side this afternoon in Mallapuram district .
13 dead till now including driver and many in serious state.
Regards
Old 6th September 2013, 16:21   #13926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
This happened at my apartment(last sunday due to rains) a compound wall has collapsed in the parking lot.

1. Ford Fiesta(2010)
2. Maruthi Ritz(2012)
4. Maruthi Ritz(2012)
Oh my god! this is really bad. Which area in Blr did this happen? Can insurance be claimed in such cases? Its very difficult to pinpoint who to blame? whether the rains OR the quality of materials used while building the wall ?
Old 6th September 2013, 16:41   #13927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post

1. Ford Fiesta(2010)
2. Maruthi Ritz(2012)
4. Maruthi Ritz(2012)
SHOCKING! My goodness. All cars look like total loss to me. There is no car in the picture which can be repaired and run without stability issues. Poor owners of the cars. Difficult to think that it was just any wall. Must be the entire structure or building that came down on those poor cars. Really sad for the cars & owners. I think the owners will be paid through the insurance.
Old 6th September 2013, 16:57   #13928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Can insurance be claimed in such cases? Its very difficult to pinpoint who to blame?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I think the owners will be paid through the insurance.
Depends on how the insurance companies view it. IMO they might consider it under the force majeure clause and wash their hands off it. Technically this was due to natural causes which was out of their (anybody's) control.
Old 6th September 2013, 16:57   #13929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can insurance be claimed in such cases? Its very difficult to pinpoint who to blame? whether the rains OR the quality of materials used while building the wall ?
I believe natural disasters are not covered in insurance. If you remember the famous take on this insurance for natural calamity (destruction by god's will) in a bollywood movie. Its very difficult to claim here and as far as the construction of goes, the builder will refuse on it because he too can sight the same issue. But its a nightmare for the owners as their hard-earned money is turned into a pile of junk.

AD
Old 6th September 2013, 17:03   #13930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which area in Blr did this happen?
Most likely this - Apartment compound wall crashes; crushes cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Technically this was due to natural causes which was out of their (anybody's) control.
Not really. Wall created by man crashed. It was not in a natural calamity, but normal rain. Probably due to poor building plan/construction.

Last edited by msdivy : 6th September 2013 at 17:08.
Old 6th September 2013, 17:05   #13931
Distinguished - BHPian

That is a bigger shock. So even if the owner has taken a comprehensive insurance and paid all his premiums, still he will not get a penny for this damage? By the way, is it a natural calamity? I think not. It is just a wall that collapsed. Natural calamities would be more like earthquakes, Tsunami, etc. What if the wall had not collapsed due to rain?

I think GTOs older VTec was also destroyed in the same way and the insurer paid up as total loss. Probably the unfortunate even happened after he had sold his Honda City to a forum member.

Regards,
Saket
Old 6th September 2013, 17:07   #13932
BHPian

If I am NOT wrong HDFC and ICICI do offer insurance which covers natural clamaties.

Those pics are indeed shocking!

Looks like more than a compound wall to me.

Poor cars.
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 17:12   #13933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
That is a bigger shock. So even if the owner has taken a comprehensive insurance and paid all his premiums, still he will not get a penny for this damage? By the way, is it a natural calamity? I think not. It is just a wall that collapsed. Natural calamities would be more like earthquakes, Tsunami, etc. What if the wall had not collapsed due to rain?
Dear saket, Indeed its a real shock and harsh irony. See, occurance of rain is a natural phenomena and no insurance provider covers the commodities for it as its unpredictable. In case the wall had collapsed due to other reasons then the concerned construction company would have been liable for damages. But i dont think, the builders go for insuring the boundary wall etc either.

AD
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 17:13   #13934
BHPian

By the look of it , only this one can be salvaged

Old 6th September 2013, 17:17   #13935
BHPian

That is no natural calamity. Thats absolute shabby construction. That apartment had enough controversies right from the occupancy certificate to possession. Now this.

There is enough and more for the insurance company to wash off their hands in this case.

Feel bad for the car owners.

Most Viewed