Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2013, 11:35   #13951
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Some pics of the Perinthalmanna bus accident which killed 13 people.
Just have a look at the condition of the rear tyres!
Wet roads+tread-less tyre+ steep descent+high speed= Perfect recipe for disaster!
The driver would have been as usual swinging the back and taking turns like all other buses drivers do in Kerala.
This looks like a short-wheelbase chassis used in hilly regions . With tires like these, on short length chassis, its no surprise he skidded off the road.
Surprised that this did not happen earlier with it raining for months now, probably he pushed the speed even more this time.

These drivers are so ruthless that they even take their bus off road just to get past you if you don't give way. I've seen this everytime I go to Kerala.
A friend travelled in one of these buses recently in the same district and she told me during the entire journey, she was hardly on her seat and there is no way you can sit without holding on to something.
The drivers body of this accident was badly mangled and mutiliated. Hope the other drivers learn something, (i am not hopeful of)

Regards
Old 7th September 2013, 12:17   #13952
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
These drivers are so ruthless that they even take their bus off road just to get past you if you don't give way. I've seen this everytime I go to Kerala.
A friend travelled in one of these buses recently in the same district and she told me during the entire journey, she was hardly on her seat and there is no way you can sit without holding on to something.
It’s just not just the driver; the main culprits I believe are those bus owners who insist on covering the distance in minimum time. I have not travelled in those notorious private buses for many years, but many times have got pushed off the road (while driving) because their urgency. Officials play their part too.

I remember, back in late 90s, they setup police posts (IIRC it was called punching stations) at two locations between Thrissur and Kunnamkulam. Speed regulation was in full swing for a couple of weeks. After that, officials at police checkpost became friends with the bus staff, and it was something like this – Bus A reach the checkpost near Amala hospital, the constable there inform the conductor/driver that Bus B and C have just passed 5 mins ago, go fast so that you can catch them before the next checkpost!!!
I think those checkposts were made redundant after a few years, and these guys still rule the road. The whole scene of private buses is so rotten in the state. Sad indeed!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 12:40   #13953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It’s just not just the driver; the main culprits I believe are those bus owners who insist on covering the distance in minimum time.
+1.

Also officials insist these bus, on covering a particular distance in stipulated time. It varies from 1.5 min to 2.5 min per KM.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 13:25   #13954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It’s just not just the driver; the main culprits I believe are those bus owners who insist on covering the distance in minimum time. I have not travelled in those notorious private buses for many years, but many times have got pushed off the road (while driving) because their urgency. Officials play their part too.

. The whole scene of private buses is so rotten in the state. Sad indeed!
True. I guess their time/distance target is set such that they get into race mode or it is just that they get used to driving like that and get pleasure by scaring everyone in the bus and outside and acheive their target anyway.
It boils my blood whenever I see buses coming behind with their headlights on and horns blaring that put an ambulance to shame.
What I wonder is in Kerala, there is strike or harthal for everything from petty to major. Hasn't this issue got anyone's attention enough yet?

Regards
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 14:08   #13955

Quote:

True. I guess their time/distance target is set such that they get into race mode or it is just that they get used to driving like that and get pleasure by scaring everyone in the bus and outside and acheive their target anyway.
It boils my blood whenever I see buses coming behind with their headlights on and horns blaring that put an ambulance to shame.
What I wonder is in Kerala, there is strike or harthal for everything from petty to major. Hasn't this issue got anyone's attention enough yet?

Regards
I agree totally these guys need to be curbed or accidents like this will keep happening
Old 7th September 2013, 14:52   #13956
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I was considering an apartment in this complex at one stage, but better sense prevailed.

This apartment complex has had a lot of complaints against the builders on the internet, and now this.
Old 8th September 2013, 09:27   #13957
Senior - BHPian

Came across this news today.
Link. I am not sure whom to blame, the bus driver or the Pulsar bike rider, but at the end of the day, its Innova which took hit and people died. The bikers are real nuisance now.
On a recent trip, maximum stress was caused by bikers on highway. They have no sense of direction and lane, first they enter into some other lane and then see if some other object is approaching them or not. Horrible. In case of highway, its matter of life and death, but the idiotic behavior never ceases.

Even in city, no indicators, no helmet, nothing and simply change lanes or take a stop or take a turn ( without any indicators ).
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tbhp-upload.jpg  

aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 10:40   #13958
Senior - BHPian

The real culprit is the speed of the bus. Going by the flattened Innova, my guess is the bus was literally flung at the Innova, like someone threw it. There was hardly any way for the Innova driver to even anticipate it.

I can't even imagine the insane speeds at which the bus must have been travelling if it climbed up the divider and jumped onto the Innova, in the process throwing both vehicles off the road. No matter if the biker was not keeping to his lane, if the bus driver had been driving at 80kmph he could have at least saved the Innova.

I think it underlines the need to keep the speeds in check. If the bus had been doing a steady 80kmph it could easily have averted this tragedy. Once again innocent people have paid with their lives for no fault of their own.

However I am sure this time too there will be no action on limiting the speeds of the vehicles, especially heavy ones which cause massive damage.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 11:10   #13959
BHPian

I had a friend who used to operate a fleet of buses and lorries from Salem to nearby towns and village. Once while I was visiting his home I overheard him talking to a new driver who had joined, very sadistically he told the driver if you are in a tricky situation at night go for a clean hit and don't make it partial, he then proceeded to reason himself out saying that a partial hit means court, case and paying money to the victims for a long time a clean hit would mean none of these problems and the police could be taken care of when a case is registered.

Whom to blame, who is innocent, how will the scenario improve is still a big question mark?
Old 8th September 2013, 11:26   #13960
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Accident on the Mumbai - Nashik Highway, 9 dead !

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2013/sep...way-horror.htm
That's a nasty one!
Can't even make out the make of the SUV.
Old 8th September 2013, 11:36   #13961
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see the innocent people dying while the idiot who caused this is getting away unhurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
That's a nasty one!
Can't even make out the make of the SUV.
It was an Innova. Its the same accident as the one mentioned in posts before it.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 12:03   #13962
Senior - BHPian

[quote="honeybee;3231351"

However I am sure this time too there will be no action on limiting the speeds of the vehicles, especially heavy ones which cause massive damage.[/QUOTE]

1-seat belts for all passengers might have saved a few lives by preventing passengers being ejected or thrown around inside the bus
2- speed guns and instant fines to the operator
3- RTO do regular check on the speed log of a public transport vehicle to check for violatons
4- stricter laws
5- creating an awareness among road users to ensure their drivers drive sensibly

If these were in place , maybe a couple of lives could have been saved
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 12:11   #13963
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Regards
I have posed this question to friends and relatives in Kerala and am yet to get a sensible answer.

The only logical explantion I can provide is that people have accepted the fact that when there are roads and buses, there will be accidents. A necessary evil to have fast and shiny buses grace the roads in Gods own country. It also appears that the janta that calls for hartals at the drop of a hat has not recognized that traffic accidents can be significantly reduced with a combination traning, legislation and enforcement.

Ive heard of a students union calling for a hartal because a teacher reprimanded a student for commiting fraud during an exam. If only champions of democracy such as these could be inspired to support the fight against rash driving.

Last edited by Zed : 8th September 2013 at 12:13.
Old 8th September 2013, 12:16   #13964
BHPian

Pictures of my friends Scorpio that met with an accident on the Lucknow Sitapur Highway just about 5 days back. There were 5 people on board , despite having done the obviously foolish act of not belting, up all suvivied albiet with major injuries , two people in the ICU , one remaining critical.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-rajiv-car.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-rajiv-car1.jpg  

Old 8th September 2013, 12:30   #13965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjz View Post
Pictures of my friends Scorpio that met with an accident on the Lucknow Sitapur Highway just about 5 days back. There were 5 people on board , despite having done the obviously foolish act of not belting, up all suvivied albiet with major injuries , two people in the ICU , one remaining critical.
That looks bad! Do you happen to know what exactly happened? The damage seems mostly on the left side, did they hit something stationary?

About the people still critical, hope they make it through.

Most Viewed