Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 11:57   #14296
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
In these kind of air conditioned window less buses, passengers should be given a safety demo just like pre flight safety demonstrations in aircrafts. This can be shown on the onboard TV, rather than showing some useless movies. They should be shown where the emergency exits are located and how to break glass in an emergency situation.
Agree 101%

I had written to Volvo India once on having this video like we see in aircrafts and also on why is it that we dont have seat belts for all passengers in Indian buses when I could see them in all buses in Turkey and other EU countries ! But no one responded

I always ensure that I check on the " emergency window" stickers whenever I board a b7R or a b9R ...most of these buses dont even have the safety hammer in them . These stickers and the hammer should be mandatory in all buses ! But our traffic departments are busy collecting fines without receipts from these bus operators ...why the heck will they be bothered ?

Now these idiots will try saying Volvo buses are unsafe or maybe we need to install 40 kph speed limiters on all buses ...or maybe build speedbreakers on all highways .

If this bus was speeding , why was everyone inside the bus keeping quiet about it ? Leaving things to fate ? We can easily predict on what will happen now ....arrest the driver for rash and negligient driving or slap a fine on this travel operator .
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 12:27   #14297
BHPian

Feeling sad for the families who have suffered due to this accident with festivities round the corner.

Have traveled number of times in the past and have noticed that the Drivers don't care a damn for anyone on the road. Drivers driving a Volvo feel they are from a higher breed.

I remember speaking to a driver after noticing his safe driving style. He spoke on length on the training they got from Volvo on driving the buses. Looking at the present breed of Volvo drivers it seems like the travel operators are training drivers in-house and they don't have the know how to drive a bus safely which should be their utmost priority.

Agree that the Driver should be fined / jailed, but once he is free, he is back in the drivers seat and for him its just another past dated accident.

Last edited by Hurrycane12 : 30th October 2013 at 12:32. Reason: Grammar check
Old 30th October 2013, 12:48   #14298
BHPian

Very Sad to hear this news.

Very very good suggestion by poloman.

I heard about this accident on radio while coming to office.

We should do something to improve the overall safety and security standards in this country. How and where to start?
Old 30th October 2013, 12:57   #14299
BHPian

Moron truck driver has a puncture and parks in the middle of the road at night with no street lights only to be the cause of many deaths.
Why can't there be a little concern for others.

Picked up from the Times of India.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigben : 30th October 2013 at 12:59.
Old 30th October 2013, 13:46   #14300
BHPian

Bus Catches fire enroute Bangalore to Hyderabad. Many techies died.

whole story can be read here : http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/24915158.cms

Excerpts : A speeding volvo crashes onto the divider, catches fire. As the police say, the central locking system didn't allow anyone to escape and even the emergency windows jammed. Result: 45 deaths confirmed so far.

It's not a TATA bus, it's a Volvo which is known for its safety standards and still this happens.

For the departed souls, RIP.
Old 30th October 2013, 13:58   #14301
BHPian

What a sad end for those who killed in the accident. There were two little infants too aged 1.5Y & 2Y :(

All we can do is pray for them. May their souls rest in peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
There was a similar case of another vehicle hitting Volvo bus fuel tank and the bus was in flames. This had happened in Gujarat quite a while ago. Similar to the tragedy discusses here, the door of Volvo bus in Gujarat were stuck and the driver was quickly engulfed in flames, just could not do anything and doors did not open. A few passengers managed to break open the windows and escaped.
There was a similar accident happened near Vellore in TN in 2011. 22 people were charred to death at that time.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/22...urvived-110836

Now the big question: is it the reckless driving cause these accidents or is there any technical issues with Volvo buses?
Old 30th October 2013, 14:09   #14302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
...As the police say, the central locking system didn't allow anyone to escape and even the emergency windows jammed...
I wonder what they mean by emergency windows. There are no emergency windows/doors in Volvo buses, unlike the age old Tata/AL buses built on truck platforms. In Volvo buses, simply break the glass that is marked as "emergency window".

Oh yeah! Which operator would bother marking a window as emergency window? That damned sticker costs a fortune at 10 Rs!

Another Oh yeah! Which passenger bothers to check where the emergency window is? That damned window takes a whole of 10 most precious seconds to locate!
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 14:17   #14303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
This can be shown on the onboard TV, rather than showing some useless movies. They should be shown where the emergency exits are located and how to break glass in an emergency situation.
I remember during initial days of Volvo buses there used be a video as you mentioned. It used show where all hammers for breaking glass are kept. How to wear seat belts (which used to be present in all seats then). I used to frequent KSRTC HYD- Bangalore- Mysore Volvo those days and the conductor used to play the video (a separate CD) when bus starts from Hyderabad. Once the demo is over, he used to change the CD and put some movie.

Nowadays I have seen many buses with the small hammers for breaking the glass missing.
Rather than saying all these lives were lost due to an accident, I would say cause of death was lack of concern towards safety.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 14:29   #14304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
What a sad end for those who killed in the accident. There were two little infants too aged 1.5Y & 2Y :(

All we can do is pray for them. May their souls rest in peace.

There was a similar accident happened near Vellore in TN in 2011. 22 people were charred to death at that time.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/22...urvived-110836

Now the big question: is it the reckless driving cause these accidents or is there any technical issues with Volvo buses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I wonder what they mean by emergency windows. There are no emergency windows/doors in Volvo buses, unlike the age old Tata/AL buses built on truck platforms. In Volvo buses, simply break the glass that is marked as "emergency window".

Oh yeah! Which operator would bother marking a window as emergency window? That damned sticker costs a fortune at 10 Rs!

Another Oh yeah! Which passenger bothers to check where the emergency window is? That damned window takes a whole of 10 most precious seconds to locate!

In agreement !!! I am sure all of us would have experienced how these guys drive with their monsters. Totally irresponsible I must say. They are driving the same route for years and they think they know each and every divider placement, obstacles and lanes and they can drive them blind folded. Overconfident, and you learn the lesson, problem is you make others suffer.

Jabbar is not a very reputed operator anyway. They drive recklessly, get into senseless confrontations with passengers and what not and mostly off the schedule.

When i saw that people were going to their homes for celebrating Diwali, i only think, what this Diwali brought for their family members. But, how does it really matter, the inept government, the stupid traffic sense and overall, no value for human life, nothing will change in our motherland.
Old 30th October 2013, 14:35   #14305
BHPian

Experts, correct me if I am wrong. From what the report says, the bus caught fire because it ruptured its fuel tank when it hit a divider. So everyone is of the assumption that the diesel fuel caused the fire. But isnt diesel comparatively difficult to burn unless until it is exposed to extreme pressures and temperatures. I mean, if we put a matchstick onto a tank of diesel, it would not catch fire. So what do you guys think caused this fire. AFAIK Volvo buses come with auto fuel cut-off in case of accidents so there should be no pressurised fuel spray after the impact and the only Diesel available would be the one available in the tank. From what the news say, everyone was engulfed in flames. How could it happen unless they were all dripping with some flammable fuel, that too not Diesel?

Going by the reports, the fire spread extremely quickly. I know jet fuel and gasoline are extremely volatile and hence help in rapid spread of fire, but Diesel? I know the seat fabrics would have caused the spread but I cant imagine that these would have caused so much fire in so little time.

Whatever be the cause, its a huge loss of life and may the souls R.I.P
Old 30th October 2013, 14:47   #14306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Moron truck driver has a puncture and parks in the middle of the road at night with no street lights only to be the cause of many deaths.
Yes, it takes a moron to do that --- but it takes a bit of a moron to drive into a stationary object. A bit of a moron who drives so fast that thay can't stop within the distance they can see.

It takes two.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 14:59   #14307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes, it takes a moron to do that --- but it takes a bit of a moron to drive into a stationary object. A bit of a moron who drives so fast that thay can't stop within the distance they can see.

It takes two.
A Person, may be out on road due to some emergency after a long hectic day,i would not call every one a moron who crashes into a stationary vehicle;and with blind spots created due to lights of oncoming traffic it gets worse.
Old 30th October 2013, 15:17   #14308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
A Person, may be out on road due to some emergency after a long hectic day,i would not call every one a moron who crashes into a stationary vehicle;and with blind spots created due to lights of oncoming traffic it gets worse.
If I am blinded by lights of oncoming traffic , then I usually slow down . I wouldnt continue at the same speed . I wouldnt say drivers who crash into parked vehicles are morons , but I realise that most of these crashes could have been avoided if people were more cautious .

Even here , looks the first truck is on the extreme left ...might be the second truckers mistake

BTW , none of these truckers shown are my friends...so no offence meant to anyone

Last edited by speedsatya : 30th October 2013 at 15:19.
Old 30th October 2013, 15:50   #14309
BHPian

Very tragic incident. RIP all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Going by the reports, the fire spread extremely quickly. I know jet fuel and gasoline are extremely volatile and hence help in rapid spread of fire, but Diesel? I know the seat fabrics would have caused the spread but I cant imagine that these would have caused so much fire in so little time.
Whatever be the cause, its a huge loss of life and may the souls R.I.P
This is not the first of its kind involving a Volvo. See these:
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle3513749.ece

and

Within minutes, the flames had spread to the entire bus and the bus was completely destroyed. Cause isn’t known.
The jabbar bus started burning around dawn, when most of the passengers were asleep and might have panicked when they suddenly woke up.
Old 30th October 2013, 16:11   #14310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I didn't say they shouldn't be on the road, whether by emergency or even by choice. I said that they (I mean we) should drive according to the conditions, and adjust our speed accordingly. Even so, accidents may happen, but we can do a very great deal to prevent them. Not driving as if it isn't dark, foggy, etc etc, is the basic. Slow down, and look for stuff that isn't lit. We all know the risks are going to be there (are cows ever going to be lit?)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks