Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2013, 20:03   #14521
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Kudos sir! Well done. Appreciate it.

Did that at least make your friend reconsider his driving style - now?
People don't take criticism of their driving very well, especially men. I don't have first-hand information as I've never traveled in his car again, but he has since become a father and I'd like to hope that has mellowed him down a bit and made him reconsider his driving habits.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th November 2013 at 20:04. Reason: spelling
Old 29th November 2013, 20:28   #14522
BHPian

Got it through a friend of mine. Luckily the Children escaped with minor injuries. The Auto driver reportedly fled the scene.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-auto01.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-auto02.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-auto03.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-auto04.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-auto05.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-auto06.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-auto07.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-auto08.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-auto09.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-auto091.jpg
Sarvodaya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 00:52   #14523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Agreed. I've personally experienced even worse. Co-passengers actually egg you on to drive 'fast' (they actually mean reckless), and some of my car's passengers over the years have thought I'm a wimp for sticking to 80-100 kmph on open highways, and waiting to get proper space to pass instead of forcing my way through the wrong side. "Risk? What's that? Accidents? They happen to others."

Agreed again. I was once fortunate (though inconvenienced) enough to have to get down on a highway and find another ride home because my 'friend' displayed 'my car, my rules' mentality while driving all over the place, and refused to calm down.

He thought I was kidding when I asked him to drop me at the next town. We're still friends, but I've never sat in his car again.
Ah, interesting piece. I fully agree.

It can get really annoying to be needled over a long enough journey, say six to ten hours. I agree both with you and your friend, fully mature perspectives. Its a mutual agreement to travel together and either party has their freedom. It's better than the driver bickering with the passengers which is more dangerous.

Once while driving back from chandigarh to Delhi, I was totally sleepy and asked my friend to drive (we were two couples). The fog was really dense, and we even witnessed a bad accident. I had a choice , either be a back seat driver given the conditions, or trust my friend, or stop till I was rested to drive again. I chose two, but under no circumstances would I advise one.

a. The fact is the accident happened, with the dZire on the wrong side - we have no way of guessing how bad the driver was (do we have a dashcam video or a helicopter footage?) or the information he had, before he embarked on this ill-fated overtake? The press can report all it wants, but is it a VERIFIABLE fact? No -life is gray. Why are we passing BLACK/WHITE judgements here? Are we biased by the outcome?

Has no one here ever made a lapse in judgement while driving on the road? Are we ALL holier than thou?

b. Agree with Chetan AND his friend - it would've been distracting for his friend to endure chetan's admonishing as much as it would have been for chetan to endure those who asked him to drive much faster etc. One should only travel long distance with folks one trusts, and is comfortable with - live ongoing feedback / argument is a bad idea. Only one side should prevail. It would be interesting to hear commercial pilot's take on it from a cockpit resource management perspective. I've once driven around a construction site with an American boss whose risk perception was radically different from mine - the net result was unnecessary blood pressure for both sides

Last edited by benbsb29 : 30th November 2013 at 02:18. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts as per request.
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 15:38   #14524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Ah, interesting piece. I fully agree.

It can get really annoying to be needled over a long enough journey, say six to ten hours. I agree both with you and your friend, fully mature perspectives. Its a mutual agreement to travel together and either party has their freedom. It's better than the driver bickering with the passengers which is more dangerous.

Once while driving back from chandigarh to Delhi, I was totally sleepy and asked my friend to drive (we were two couples). The fog was really dense, and we even witnessed a bad accident. I had a choice , either be a back seat driver given the conditions, or trust my friend, or stop till I was rested to drive again. I chose two, but under no circumstances would I advise one.

b. Agree with Chetan AND his friend - it would've been distracting for his friend to endure chetan's admonishing as much as it would have been for chetan to endure those who asked him to drive much faster etc. One should only travel long distance with folks one trusts, and is comfortable with - live ongoing feedback / argument is a bad idea. Only one side should prevail. It would be interesting to hear commercial pilot's take on it from a cockpit resource management perspective. the net result was unnecessary blood pressure for both sides
+1 to that. There have been some occassions when I had to drop out of a trip since the group mix was not very welcome and thought it better to drive alone or ride the bus for the journey which saves unsavoury moments/poignant delicate arguments and most of all peace of mind.

There are few rules which have ingrained into my driving or life itself.
1 never travel together if you are not comfy with the group
2 never do a trip only to save money
3 if you can drive alone and without lapse of concentration keep it as the best resort but for last
4 try to never pick arguments whilst driving (any point to drive home to be done when vehicle is stationary.
5 never be public about your views on the codriver(share in pvt)
6 Last but most impt teach your wifey to drive as good as you can teach no better joyous journey than with the person you want to share your life with.

cheers
Old 30th November 2013, 18:07   #14525
BHPian

Just got this pictures of this horrific accident near Ahmednagar. There are two occupants one died on the spot other one is seriously injured and battling for life. No other vehicle was involved. They simply lost control over the car. Not aware whether both of them were wearing seat belt or not but seeing the severity am really not sure how much a combination of seat belt and air bags would have helped.
Attached Images

Last edited by techfreak : 30th November 2013 at 18:15.
techfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 13:35   #14526
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right place to post. Still,

Fast and furious star Paul Walker died in a car crash

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/fa...1?site=classic
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 14:03   #14527
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Has no one here ever made a lapse in judgement while driving on the road? Are we ALL holier than thou?
If all discussions (not judgments, please note) were required to be based on hard-verifiable facts, I believe no thread will get beyond a few posts.

Isn't there a thread on this very forum discussing judgment lapses while driving, where a lot of fellow forum members have related first-hand accounts of their own mistakes?

We've all made mistakes while driving (and some of us have faced the unfortunate consequences too), but if 'those who've never made a driving error' are the only ones entitled to an opinion, we might as well shut down this section of the forum. The judgment of the drivers' actions have already been delivered (unfortunately 6 more people had to share it), so I don't see why we shouldn't discuss it.

Some facts of this case will NEVER be known (for lack of first-hand testimony & evidence), so does that mean we shouldn't discuss it?

Quote:
b. Only one side should prevail........the net result was unnecessary blood pressure for both sides......
Agree completely. I made the only decision I could make as a non-owner passenger of a car, I chose not to travel in it. We agreed to disagree as adults about driving habits instead of bickering for the rest of the journey. I've matured over the years in my judgment of co-passengers I like to travel with, whether as a driver or co-passenger, as I'm sure everyone has.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st December 2013 at 14:14. Reason: Adding a point
Old 1st December 2013, 18:46   #14528
Distinguished - BHPian

I was in Shillong till yesterday, on a three day trip. Found Maruti 800 taxis doing the donkey's job in most parts of the hilly Meghalaya state. There are no three wheelers in the hilly parts.
Even most folks buy new Maruti 800's as its the best car to be able to dodge traffic in the narrow hilly roads.
I however spotted this one which has been bashed up.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn0899.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st December 2013 at 18:52.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 20:18   #14529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post. Still,

Fast and furious star Paul Walker died in a car crash

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/fa...1?site=classic
alleged last pic of the actor getting into the car before the crash and some pics of the burnt car (all pics from news sites)

more detailed info here
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1533786
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bax7ux0cyaaqpom.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident590x351.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vbkpaul_car_1670740g.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-paulwalkecrashr.jpg  

Last edited by dockap : 1st December 2013 at 20:27.
dockap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 17:05   #14530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
alleged last pic of the actor getting into the car before the crash and some pics of the burnt car (all pics from news sites)

more detailed info here
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1533786
Very sad to know this. A Great team has lost on of its Hero.
one of the series that I loved to watch. RIP.

What a bad crash. Do anyone have more details of the crash.
Old 2nd December 2013, 23:26   #14531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param
If manufacturers have the safety kit as a standard fitment, people will be forced to buy those cars.
And ? What happens after that ? They will walk out alive out of any crash ? If you noticed, the airbags are just supplementary restraint systems (SRS), with the primary restraint system being the seat-belts. All cars today come with seat-belts, but do all drivers/passengers wear the belts ? No. It needs policing (and the fear of a few hundred bucks of fine) for folks to belt up. So, there is only so much that safety features can do. The onus is mostly on the occupants to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param
If some one asks me today on what is the difference between a Maruti and a Fiat, I would straight away show him the pictures of Safari vs Punto collision and the DZire vs Truck collision, and further explain the significance of Build Quality, Seat Belts & Airbags.
There is another incident/video lost in the archives here about a Punto and Swift colliding (somewhere in Bombay IIRC) and the folks in the Punto (or was it a Palio?) faring worse. Does that make the Maruti a better bet ?

Actually you just need to move one page ahead on this very thread to see how a Sunny fares in an accident. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3307701
Does that mean Nissan lacks build-quality ? And that you will rest your Sunny and start driving around in your Jazz ? Till another Jazz accident proves your theory wrong and you start looking for another car with TLB (tank like build) ?

Each accident is different and it is mostly about the driver (than the car).
supremeBaleno is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 23:47   #14532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
There is another incident/video lost in the archives here about a Punto and Swift colliding (somewhere in Bombay IIRC) and the folks in the Punto (or was it a Palio?) faring worse. Does that make the Maruti a better bet ?
Umm, no. It is a fact that European cars are better built for whatever reason, let's move on and stop these Euro-Jap debates.

BTW, would like to see that video, if you could find it from the archives, please PM me.

Quote:
Each accident is different
Agree.

Quote:
it is mostly about the driver (than the car).
Disagree. It is about the car too. One can be the safest driver in an Alto K10, but what if a vehicle comes jumping off the median from the opposite lane at high speeds? You would be better off in a solidly built car, with Airbags and of course, buckled up. You can never tell.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 2nd December 2013 at 23:48.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 23:59   #14533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R
It is a fact that European cars are better built for whatever reason, let's move on and stop these Euro-Jap debates.
"whatever reason" is not really a logical reason. I can see the fact in a Vento being a better built car than an Esteem, but if you take peers, they are mostly the same.

Quote:
Disagree. It is about the car too. One can be the safest driver in an Alto K10, but what if a vehicle comes jumping off the median from the opposite lane at high speeds? You would be better off in a solidly built car, with Airbags and of course, buckled up. You can never tell.
Really ? If instead of the K10, it was a Punto with airbags and all occupants belted up and a Scorpio jumps the median onto it, you still think the occupants would be alive to tell the tale ? Not really, as many such incidents have proven.

Regarding the link for the Punto-Swift collision, it was an old thread. Search it up - would still be there.

BTW, the following thread is about the accident a tbhp-ian's father had when an Accent on the opposite lane jumped onto their Dzire. The occupants of the Accent died in the accident. So will this lead you to conclude that the Dzire is a safer car than the Accent or that it will take any car landing on it ? I hope not.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-accident.html

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd December 2013 at 00:08.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 00:08   #14534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
"whatever reason" is not really a logical reason. I can see the fact in a Vento being a better built car than an Esteem, but if you take peers, they are mostly the same.
If you are looking for a logical reason, I suggest you talk to the stakeholders of each manufacturer as to why some of them skimp on sheet metal.

Quote:
Really ? If instead of the K10, it was a Punto with airbags and all occupants belted up and a Scorpio jumps the median onto it, you still think the occupants would be alive to tell the tale ? Not really, as many such incidents have proven.
What's your point, buddy?
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 00:12   #14535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's your point, buddy?
That irrespective of whether you are in an AltoK10 or a Punto, you are dead-meat if a Scorpio flies across the median and lands on you. No amount of sheet-metal is gonna save you there.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed