Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 07:53   #14626
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Sir, I have been wearing a helmet since I was 17 and on a M-80 ( That too a full face helmet).
I wouldn't ride 10 feet without wearing a full face helmet.
Kind Sir, a quoted post doesn't necessarily mean that the post was directed at you.

BTW, thanks for taking out time to reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Truckers are the most disciplined drivers today on the Indian highways. The only way to overtake them safely is to flash the headlights from 1km and start honking, to alert them that you are passing.
Until they decide to play it out at night. I have had my share of night drives & despite being in a proper SUV, they won't let you pass.

Around 10 trailers playing the game of who is faster and you are stuck behind 'em till you approach a toll. Has happened twice.

Then, one truck doing 40kmph decides to overtake another doing 38kmph and boy, you would be pulling your hair out. To spice things, they do this on a bridge, while ascending it & believe me, you can't do a damn thing.

Though, safety wise, I have never been irked by a truck. They are a behaved lot.

Last edited by Sheel : 20th December 2013 at 08:02.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 10:30   #14627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Then, one truck doing 40kmph decides to overtake another doing 38kmph and boy, you would be pulling your hair out. To spice things, they do this on a bridge, while ascending it & believe me, you can't do a damn thing.
I would prefer this any day to a truck without any load playing around on the road like a motorbike! I have noticed multiple times the acts of these empty trucks going from Bangalore towards Tumkur especially. They are literally jumping about due to no weight on their back and boy-o-boy are they scary!

During my last drive to Davangere, I was stuck with three such empty trucks who were racing against each other. I was really surprised with the way these trucks could accelerate to 100kmph. These guys were honking madly at other vehicles, tailgating each other, changing lanes at 90 degrees and what not! I decided I would either stop or go barging ahead so that I'm not in their vicinity and then chose the latter. Scary stuff!
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 11:08   #14628
Senior - BHPian

I was recently in Delhi for official trip and hired a cab for visiting clients. The location I had to travel was Faridabad and my hotel was located in Pahargunj ( as my employer has a corporate account in one particular hotel ).

A few observations w.r.t Cabs:

1) No maintenance. Can break down at any point of time, can also get out of control. One Accent we had hired was really bad and in the back seat, I could make out that the alignment was out of order and even the rear left wheel was wobbling. It was as bad as a train bogie rocking.

2) The drivers fail to understand what we say for any purpose. A driver could not understand how to start heater and in that really cold+foggy morning, I was chilling in A/C.

3) NO REAR SEAT BELTS. Yes, you read that right. The seat belts would be covered in useless seat covers which is utter nonsense. I have made several trips to Delhi and I can vouch for this fact. The seatbelts are there but buckles are absent after seat covers are installed.

Felt really horrible and unsafe. I know I was risking my own life.

4) A very irritating reality is that these cab drivers are scared to hell and honk way too much. Honey Singh songs add to misery of travelers/visitors like me.This also gets them a bit more aggressive sometimes. Dangerous mood/behavior swings.

5) Horrible condition of tyres. Trucks also running on poor tyres. I could spot air bubbles or some bulging in almost all cabs and trucks.

No wonder, a lot of Accidents happen. One of my client's wife died on the spot in an auto when the auto was crushed between two tippers/trucks. My client has a 3 year old son and a 3 month old daughter.

I fail to understand how these cab drivers get license. They are either over confident or lack confidence, honk a lot, are aggressive sometimes or really scared to make a single overtaking move.

The seats would stink as the cars are rarely cleaned I believe. The cheap seat covers do not help either.

Which cabs to take in Delhi ? My cab was arranged by hotel. Any good cab services in Delhi ? I am concerned for my own safety and hence the question. An answer might also help tentative travelers to Delhi.

Request all to avoid useless local cab services and search for better cabs that atleast have good tyres. Considering the way they drive, its better to be safe.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 20th December 2013 at 11:10.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 11:23   #14629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I was recently in Delhi for official trip and hired a cab for visiting clients. The location I had to travel was Faridabad and my hotel was located in Pahargunj ( as my employer has a corporate account in one particular hotel ).
---------------------------
Snip ----------------------------- help tentative travelers to Delhi.

Request all to avoid useless local cab services and search for better cabs that atleast have good tyres. Considering the way they drive, its better to be safe.

I wish I could be flippant and say "we be like dat ", but this is the base reality of the neighborhood cabbies. What you should have done was taken a known name, like a meru or mango or some such.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 11:34   #14630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was recently in Delhi for official trip and hired a cab for visiting clients. The location I had to travel was Faridabad A few observations w.r.t Cabs:

1) No maintenance. Can break down at any point of time, can also get out of control. 2) A driver could not understand how to start heater and in that really cold+foggy morning, I was chilling in A/C.

3) NO REAR SEAT BELTS.
4) A very irritating reality is that these cab drivers are scared to hell and honk way too much. Honey Singh songs add to misery of travelers/visitors like me.
5) Horrible condition of tyres. Trucks also running on poor tyres. I could spot air bubbles or some bulging in almost all cabs and trucks.

No wonder, a lot of Accidents happen. One of my client's wife died on the spot in an auto when the auto was crushed between two tippers/trucks. My client has a 3 year old son and a 3 month old daughter.
Dear Sir, Even we Delhi people too opine the same for these cabs at-large but as Mayankk said use a renowned cab brand then for sure your outlook will change. Actually reason for such horrible condition of the cabs is that these cabs run on 24x7 basis so not enough time to maintain (this is the logic given by drivers) secondly, these driver's at any given oppourtunity try to steal fuel and compromise on the cars technical strength. The rash driving done by these cabbies is majorily due to the fact that they try to get as many to-and-fro trips so that they can enhance their earning margin and also they are sleep deprived so they are bound to get mood swings.

P.S: RIP for the lost soul.

thanks

AD
ad3952n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 11:36   #14631
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which cabs to take in Delhi ? My cab was arranged by hotel. Any good cab services in Delhi ? I am concerned for my own safety and hence the question. An answer might also help tentative travelers to Delhi.

Did you happen to hire a Yellow black cab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I wish I could be flippant and say "we be like dat ", but this is the base reality of the neighborhood cabbies. What you should have done was taken a known name, like a meru or mango or some such.
Agree to what mayankk said. Definite case of choosing a wrong rental.

I have had fair share of experience with all the radio/yellow-black/neighborhood stand cabs. Yellow-black is the worst of the lot - maintenance, road manners etc. The Radio cabs are better behaved and a little sane when they have someone riding in the back. Chances of ending up with a bad driver is slim but not zero.

Apart from regular radio cabs, you can also get a cab from Avis or Hertz. Usually have neat and clean black Corollas with uniformed drivers - would be a good bet. I have never seen a rashly driven one.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 20th December 2013 at 11:37.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 12:43   #14632
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any details of the crash between the Maroon Wagon R and the Tempo Traveller at the foot of the Agara Flyover, Bangalore ?

I was crossing the scene and saw some chaos. Both the vehicles were parked to the extreme left after the flyover.

It seemed like a case of side-sweep. One of them may have come out from under the flyover and may have side sweeped the other coming down the flyover.

Any pictures or details ?
Old 21st December 2013, 14:17   #14633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Until they decide to play it out at night. I have had my share of night drives & despite being in a proper SUV, they won't let you pass.

Around 10 trailers playing the game of who is faster and you are stuck behind 'em till you approach a toll. Has happened twice.

Though, safety wise, I have never been irked by a truck. They are a behaved lot.
I never drove at night, I consider my reflexes too weak to drive at night. It is stressful, so I cannot comment. Yeah they do it on ghats too, I let them be for this very short stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
I would prefer this any day to a truck without any load playing around on the road like a motorbike! I have noticed multiple times the acts of these empty trucks going from Bangalore towards Tumkur especially. They are literally jumping about due to no weight on their back and boy-o-boy are they scary!

During my last drive to Davangere, I was stuck with three such empty trucks who were racing against each other. I was really surprised with the way these trucks could accelerate to 100kmph. These guys were honking madly at other vehicles, tailgating each other, changing lanes at 90 degrees and what not! I decided I would either stop or go barging ahead so that I'm not in their vicinity and then chose the latter. Scary stuff!
Are these trucks are construction tippers trucks ?
Old 22nd December 2013, 08:21   #14634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Are these trucks are construction tippers trucks ?
No all three were normal trucks, in all probability, ones which carry sand. As I said they were extremely agile and fast since they were empty.
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:29   #14635
BHPian

Was leaving Defence Colony at around 345am Friday night - Saturday morning, came across a Vento which looked like it had been squashed into a triangle. It apparently had rolled over from the Defence Colony Flyover to Moolchand side, across the divider and onto my side of the road, facing the right way.

One enthusiastic cop mentioned alcohol had a role to play in the accident, but I felt that it also had a role to play in his enthusiasm. Nevertheless, rather scary sight - never seen such a bad accident on city roads at least; especially since you could see the trail of destruction beginning from across the road.
anantnehru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 18:12   #14636
Senior - BHPian

Saw this in front of Sarvana Bhavan, Krishnagiri. Looked like overtaking gone wrong.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131223_181211.png
Views: 4062
Size:  604.3 KB
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 19:02   #14637
BHPian

Was just going through online news papers, saw this accident, Really difficult to understand why these people drive so recklessly, look at the damage to this CAR/SUV, i really doubt it hit the divider at Normal speeds. Which is this SUV.? Looks like Chevy Enjoy to me. 4 young people loss their life, when people will undertand to drive safe, Life is too precious to die death like this. RIP
http://www.dnaindia.com/pune/report-...ighway-1939367
Old 23rd December 2013, 19:15   #14638
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Was just going through online news papers, saw this accident, Really difficult to understand why these people drive so recklessly, look at the damage to this CAR/SUV, i really doubt it hit the divider at Normal speeds. Which is this SUV.? Looks like Chevy Enjoy to me. 4 young people loss their life, when people will undertand to drive safe, Life is too precious to die death like this. RIP
http://www.dnaindia.com/pune/report-...ighway-1939367
There are no first-person eyewitness accounts, but the police claims the vehicle hit the divider, got flung into the opposite lane, bounced and landed in the roadside ditch?

I'm not sure anything short of a freak miracle could've saved those people. Safety equipment are classified under restraint systems, not genie lamps.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd December 2013 at 19:16.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 23:55   #14639
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

One more sad incident of garbage Dumber killing bikers: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/27762508.cms

Recently married couple - Suresh (30 years) & Swapnali (28 years) were killed when a BMC garbage Dumper hit their bike from behind at eastern Express Highway yesterday. The dumper driver fled the accident spot & later surrendered at a local police station.

Thanks,
Old 25th December 2013, 10:22   #14640
Team-BHP Support

Friend sent these images over WhatsApp. Seems like it happened yesterday night at the Ring Road, Surat.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-altatkzu6mn056fa57mhzhfqhmxe1imejuzloxnw57ilond.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-altahyp8jobowsfvg1tx8xjr0ion2sacn8bczhdz__m8rxv.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-altakg3nhut1v46l4zols6_qvzieqfvex6qxyubsetqs8y7.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-altaghig2lnb_crkizxkeka4ae520sqjb4hr80kjzqptcgb.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-altauzmaszi13mqrrcbyway36olbql_lduzvfzgvlh39z.jpg

A classic case of DUI. The Beat rammed on the divider as evident from the snap. And looks like the co-driver wasn’t wearing his seat belt going by that windshield crack. Bottles of liquor were recovered from the car (edited out from the last snap). To top it all, Gujarat is a dry state!

I am glad they did not ram into any of the fellow commuters on the road!
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed