Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 12:53   #14761
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
I saw this accident today on the service lane that runs parallel on the Noida-Greater Noida Expressway. This occurred at 9:15am near Sector-105. Not sure what might have happened but a passer by told us that the guy was over speeding and lost control of the Duster.

The car jumped the road divider and toppled towards the other side. Thankfully no one was hurt.
Hi Sir, Duster is sturdy car and to see it in this state gives a sad feeling. I opine that people on the e-way take undue advantage of the wide lanes and thus end up ruining such nice cars. Above all, I would like to say that when common people like us are at fault then in no ways can the e-way be blamed. I am sure this driver may have learnt his lesson today.

thanks

AD

Last edited by ad3952n : 9th January 2014 at 12:55. Reason: Quote fixed
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 13:25   #14762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I don't know about other parts of India. But in Chennai, if an a/c Volvo city bus is behind you, it does not matter whether you are driving a Nano or a Safari, you will be bullied. Even if there is no way for you to give. A Safari can bully a car, but compared to a bus, it is just small change. Today evening while on the way back from work on the OMR, there is a non-a/c bus in front of me and incessant honking from behind. Takes some time to place the vehicle behind as a Volvo (I first thought it is one of those office/college buses). There is nowhere for me to go, but he keeps honking. In the RVM I can see him coming dangerously close to my car's rear. Finally in a cattle-free and drum-barrier free stretch, I let him pass and he goes on to bully a Tempo Traveller. So, a Safari would not even make him blink.
Point taken. Nothing will matter to a moron if he thinks he is in a big metal heap.
Maybe in Bangalore people are a bit more saner. But I really have not experienced anything yet like what you have mentioned.

BTW its the bikers and cyclists I'm more worried now than the cabbies and autos.
Yesterday a biker planted a mild kiss on the rear bumper. On asking what happened, I was dumbfounded by his reply "Was checking out the nice dual tone color combo of the car and did not realize you braked hard " (my cars Black with Earth Gold Cladding)
Still took the compliment and a scratch!
Old 9th January 2014, 14:16   #14763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Maybe in Bangalore people are a bit more saner.
Bwahahaha.... the equivalent on Bangalore roads are SRS/Infant branded Tempo Travellers & busses :-)
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 15:58   #14764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Point taken. Nothing will matter to a moron if he thinks he is in a big metal heap.
Maybe in Bangalore people are a bit more saner. But I really have not experienced anything yet like what you have mentioned.
oh chennai buses are the meanest most nastiest buses I have ever seen across India - they are good enough for passengers (so it seems), but as a car guy, they could not care less. I live on LB Road chennai and they just want you to disappear and get out of their way - including jumping red lights if they so deem necessary. Inside town I am really scared of driving alone with my son's car seat in the rear bench because of how heavily these buses tailgate. I have by now lost count of the number of LHS mirror swipes they have done in just five months - thankfully swift has flexible mirrors!!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 20:37   #14765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I don't know about other parts of India. But in Chennai, if an a/c Volvo city bus is behind you, it does not matter whether you are driving a Nano or a Safari, you will be bullied. Even if there is no way for you to give. A Safari can bully a car, but compared to a bus, it is just small change. Today evening while on the way back from work on the OMR, there is a non-a/c bus in front of me and incessant honking from behind. Takes some time to place the vehicle behind as a Volvo (I first thought it is one of those office/college buses). There is nowhere for me to go, but he keeps honking. In the RVM I can see him coming dangerously close to my car's rear. Finally in a cattle-free and drum-barrier free stretch, I let him pass and he goes on to bully a Tempo Traveller. So, a Safari would not even make him blink.
The Volvo City buses in Bangalore too are notorious for such behavior. I don't know about other parts of Bangalore, but i get bullied by these buses almost every time i'm driving on Hosur Road. They keep incessantly honking until you give them way and they make such sharp lane changes without any care in the world. There have been quite a few instances where i've had to panic brake so that i wouldn't end up crashing into the bus!
Old 9th January 2014, 21:56   #14766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Hi Sir, Duster is sturdy car and to see it in this state gives a sad feeling. I opine that people on the e-way take undue advantage of the wide lanes and thus end up ruining such nice cars. Above all, I would like to say that when common people like us are at fault then in no ways can the e-way be blamed. I am sure this driver may have learnt his lesson today.

thanks

AD
The highways cannot be blamed every time. What can a highway do when the person is driving fast. What I have seen and observed in most cases is that people know how to drive fast but can't handle and manoeuvre at sharp turns and emergency braking situations. That is when they loose control on the cars and the result is a horrific accident.

I hope the guys also realises that he could have put a lot of lives at risk along with his.
Old 9th January 2014, 22:17   #14767
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
.....people know how to drive fast but can't handle and manoeuvre at sharp turns and emergency braking situations.......
If you don't mind a slight correction, most people on our roads DON'T know how to drive fast. They just know how to floor the 'A' pedal in a straight line. Big difference.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 22:26   #14768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If you don't mind a slight correction, most people on our roads DON'T know how to drive fast. They just know how to floor the 'A' pedal in a straight line. Big difference.
Completely agree with you on this, we can say that they do not know how to drive fast but only know to press the accelerator and enjoy the thrill. These idiots not only risk their lives but also risk us all as well. Stringent action and penalties can only put them in their place. I am of the opinion that this accident which may not have caused any injury or death should be probed equally and the owner should be asked to pay the price of repairing the road divider to the agencies to carry out the repair job.

Hope such steps if implemented someday will act as some detterent.
Old 17th January 2014, 07:09   #14769
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

That sure was a bad crash
Incident happened yesterday near Calicut. Apparently a few school children took the vehicle for a night time adventure and the speeding car hit a parked lorry
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-es-crash.jpg  

Old 17th January 2014, 07:27   #14770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinassi View Post
That sure was a bad crash
Incident happened yesterday near Calicut. Apparently a few school children took the vehicle for a night time adventure and the speeding car hit a parked lorry
That looks like a bad one. I hope the occupants are safe .
Old 17th January 2014, 08:28   #14771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
That looks like a bad one. I hope the occupants are safe .
Unfortunately, no. The kid who was driving died on the spot and 5 others are seriously injured. There were 7 in total inside the car, according to the local news paper. All aged between 16 & 17. Accident happened at around 3 in the morning.
Old 17th January 2014, 09:23   #14772
BHPian

From the pic it doesn't look like the Ecosport hit the lorry but a case of lorry T-boning the Ecosport
avmaxfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 09:30   #14773
Senior - BHPian

That's a massive crash. Anyone would be very lucky to survive through something like that.
Old 17th January 2014, 09:55   #14774
Senior - BHPian

A terrible car crash in the wee hours on Thursday near Calicut (TOI Kochi edition). Apparently a group school boys went for a joyride without the knowledge of their parents. The car must have been driven at very high speed and on going over a hump, lost control and rammed against a truck parked by the road. The boy (who died) driving the vehicle was only 17 and hence had no licence.
From the photograph of the mangled remains, it looks like a Ford Ecosport. (Just my personal opinion - I think the safety features of the Ecosport must have prevented more fatalities)

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-getimage.jpg  

Old 17th January 2014, 10:02   #14775
Senior - BHPian

Saw that in the newspaper today. Very bad crash! It looks like heavy load on high speed along with inexperience. There were 7 boys in that EcoSport.

One of them lost his life. They had taken the car out in early morning without their parents knowledge for a joy ride.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-optimizedwp_20140117_001.jpg

Most Viewed