Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2014, 17:54   #14851
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
We will be definitely worried about someone who is driving on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic. If you feel otherwise and believe this was the safest thing to do... , please ignore our comments. Nothing more left to discuss
Thank you for your concern, speedsatya, and I am glad you brought up the issue, even if it is somewhat off-topic for this thread. However, there are extenuating circumstances that all of us face on the roads, where one is forced to drive on the wrong side of the road as well as ignore certain rules of the road, with the only purpose being to get to one's destination (and not turn back home just because one side of the road was blocked due to an accident, or even worse, remain parked on the side of the road till the authorities clear the carriageway).

This forum does advocate safe driving, and I am one of the upholders and vehement proponents of such safe driving practices (you've been around on the forum much longer than I have, and I am sure you'd have checked my threads and posts regarding safe driving practices) - but I suspect my video tempts you nonetheless to post in the Bad Drivers thread, or even, your own Name and Shame thread, were it not closed.

Since I have already stated that it was an...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
...unavoidable instance...
...whether completely safe or not, I am happy to announce publicly that I made it safely to my destination that morning, without any injuries, damage or fractures to myself, my family, my car or my pinkie.
SS-Traveller is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 07:09   #14852
Distinguished - BHPian

Just woke up to this sad news -
Nellore- Bangalore Volvo toppled near Hoskote, 5 Dead. And a couple does everything they thought right to help.
Name:  ForumRunner_20140121_070807.png
Views: 4713
Size:  829.7 KB
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 07:19   #14853
BHPian

These Volvo incidents are turning into a series and I hope it ends soon. Prayers to the deceased and their families.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML

As a regular driver on this route, the Volvos are extremely rashly driven just like the adage - the monkey's got a coconut/new toy. After 220 kms of single laned highway, this 4 lane expressway is the last leg (100 kms) towards Bangalore and this is where buses make up for the lost time on the single laned section.
Old 21st January 2014, 07:26   #14854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
These Volvo incidents are turning into a series and I hope it ends soon. Prayers to the deceased and their families. http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML As a regular driver on this route, the Volvos are extremely rashly driven just like the adage - the monkey's got a coconut/new toy. After 220 kms of single laned highway, this 4 lane expressway is the last leg (100 kms) towards Bangalore and this is where buses make up for the lost time on the single laned section.
Once again , these passengers say the bus was going at a high speed ! Weren't these buses supposed to have speed governors ? Also , whoever mentioned about the bus being driven at high speeds , why didn't this person tell the driver to slow down ? ( had someone done this , they would have reported in the papers also )
Old 21st January 2014, 08:28   #14855
BHPian

I was travelling to Dharwad from Bangalore a week ago in the night. Just after Chitradurga a SRS Double Axle Volvo overtook my Innova. The Volvo bus being driven continously at the speed between 90 - 110 KMPH.

To keep my co passenger (wifey) awake, I had asked her to count how many times does he apply brakes on the curves, while overtaking or in a intersection.

We were surprised that he was hardly applying brakes and could maintain such speed.

I kind of made the Volvo as my Pilot vehicle, but lost him several times. Immediately after the Hubli Toll, I saw the bus parked for tea. Even I parked and was searching for the driver while having tea.

Finally caught up with the driver and asked him what speed was he doing. He clamly said, he never crossed 90 KMPH.

It was really scary the way the bus was being maneuvered at the speed. Hope the drivers and owners learn something from these accidents

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 08:51   #14856
Senior - BHPian

I always travel by KSRTC (Karnataka Transport). I've always found their services good and safe. I was returning from Ernakulam yesterday and was surprised at the driver who was driving at 70kph between Salem and Bangalore. Apparently, I've always noticed this practice with most KSRTC drivers.

I used to get annoyed I might get late but now I feel they may have been taking a safe approach.
nitinbose is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 08:56   #14857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Once again , these passengers say the bus was going at a high speed ! Weren't these buses supposed to have speed governors ? Also , whoever mentioned about the bus being driven at high speeds , why didn't this person tell the driver to slow down ? ( had someone done this , they would have reported in the papers also )
Long back, I had once tried to ask a Volvo driver to drive in a more sane fashion after seeing everybody coming from the opposite direction in the 2-lane highway diving off the road to escape being run over by the Volvo. The result? The driver turned his head half way so he could see me and the road and started arguing with me but didn't reduce the speed at all. I decided it was safer for everyone if I stopped arguing since the driver would at least look at the road and drive.

Some of these guys are so arrogant that they'll say - "Saab, this is how we always drive. Other passengers have taken tickets in our bus because we reach the destination before others." Its a mad race to save 5 minutes in a 12-14 hour journey.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 10:24   #14858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
...The Volvo bus being driven continously at the speed between 90 - 110 KMPH...
We were surprised that he was hardly applying brakes and could maintain such speed.
...Finally caught up with the driver and asked him what speed was he doing. He clamly said, he never crossed 90 KMPH.
Volvo buses come equipped with Cruise Control. In order to extract the best FE, the drivers try to maintain a steady pace, hence the knowledgeable ones simply turn on CC and only work the steering while the less knowledgeable but adept drivers maintain a steady pressure on the A-pedal, and both kind seldom touch the brake pedal. They brake only when there really is no other option.
silversteed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 10:41   #14859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Rajesh Travels Volvo bus coming from Tirupathi met with an accident near MVJ Medical college. The bus ran onto a ditch & fell on its side, with the door side on the ground. 4 dead & rest of passengers, most them injured, had hard time getting out from the driver's small door.

Source: http://news.oneindia.in/bangalore/bu...d-1379617.html
Picture here: http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=213901

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I was travelling to Dharwad from Bangalore a week ago in the night. Just after Chitradurga a SRS Double Axle Volvo overtook my Innova. The Volvo bus being driven continously at the speed between 90 - 110 KMPH.
NH4, being a 6 laned divided highway, that speed is normal.
Old 21st January 2014, 10:57   #14860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think a heavy vehicle is legally allowed to drive at more than 80 km/hr anywhere in India. The speed limits you see on the highways are for the LMVs.

No matter how many lanes a highway has, a heavy vehicle should ideally be using only first 2 lanes from the left and nothing else. 2nd lane when overtaking.
Old 21st January 2014, 11:27   #14861
BHPian

Quote:
I thought, irrespective of the lanes Volvos are supposed to be driven at 80 KMPH. Especially after the previous few accidents.

The highway after chitradurga is not always 6 lanes and straight, it has curves which are dangerous for a heavy vehicle like Volvo moving at 100 KMPH

Regards
Old 21st January 2014, 11:56   #14862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Picture here: http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=213901

NH4 is 6 laned only between Chitradurga and tumkur, Approx 120 kms
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 12:00   #14863
BHPian

Couple of weeks ago on SH 36 near Taliparamba. The bike was overtaking a bus at a blind and dangerous curve when another bus came and rammed on the bike. Biker died on the spot.Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-chorkala-acdnt.jpg
Aston.Martin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 12:26   #14864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston.Martin View Post
Couple of weeks ago on SH 36 near Taliparamba. The bike was overtaking a bus at a blind and dangerous curve when another bus came and rammed on the bike. Biker died on the spot.Attachment 1194342
My sympathies are with the bus driver. His life would now be hell thanks to someone who wanted to end his life and succeeded in it.
Old 21st January 2014, 12:48   #14865
Distinguished - BHPian

Cross posting from shifting gear, as I think it is more appropriate here - the learning will reach to a much wider audience.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
I have given the details of the accident with a sketch.

I truck from behind me nicked my right rear causing my car (Honda City) to spin 90 deg to the right.

The truck started to break but could not halt, then hit me on the right door forward. The Honda City impact bar is strong also the construction of the door helps to absorb such impact.

The car was dragged forward as it was now broadsided some 10 feet. Since Honda City is a very low car it dragged some 15 feet without toppling over.

Not a scratch to me. No injuries. Surprisingly the engine kept running.

I was able to back up the car and safely park off the high way.

Accident happened at Vapi (Gujrat).

Will take a few weeks to fix by a Honda Service Center there.

I have zero depreciation insurance.

Honda Assure has cleared all ..I pay nothing.

This is Accident # 3 for my Honda City albiet all 3 not my fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
This is OT but For Your Information and others:

a) From personal experience there are 2 cars which are solidly built, Honda City and Fiat.

b) The low ground clearance of the Honda City helped in NOT toppling the car.

c) At the Honda City Service Center my major questions to the Service Manager was this: "Tell me why I have no injuries."

d) He took me to the Accident dept where he had wrecked samples...impact bars, door construction of Honda City.

I was impressed.

If I was in my Wagon R, my right side would have crushed and car toppled over.

Rgds

Pics from Nandu sir's vimeo account.
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks