Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2014, 13:39   #14866
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Volvo buses come equipped with Cruise Control.
They also come with ESP, right? An additional axle for extra grip, ESP and cruise control. No wonder Volvo drivers are able to push the limits. I think they just have fun driving fast at curves and showing off their skills to other less-fortunate bus drivers (that is, those who drive Tata and AL truck-buses).

Karnataka SRTC is indeed a safe bet. But even these drivers like to show off their skills when it comes to overtaking truck-buses.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 14:50   #14867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston.Martin View Post
The bike was overtaking a bus at a blind and dangerous curve when another bus came and rammed on the bike
It was the bike that rammed into the bus, and not vice-versa. Overtaking on a blind curve is suicidal, and sad that the biker perished, making life difficult for the affected bus driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
They also come with ESP, right? An additional axle for extra grip, ESP and cruise control. No wonder Volvo drivers are able to push the limits. I think they just have fun driving fast at curves and showing off their skills to other less-fortunate bus drivers (that is, those who drive Tata and AL truck-buses).
They come with EBD and ABS. Not all Volvos have the additional axle, only the B9R 9400XL and B11R come with an extra rear axle. Those driving AL or Tata buses are also no less fortunate - many of the intercity buses have ABS and retarders, and their power steering systems are also on par with Volvos. However, the way the bodies are built by 3rd party body workshops is what affects their stability.

Last edited by silversteed : 21st January 2014 at 14:52.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 21:30   #14868
Distinguished - BHPian

Witnessed a bad accident on Nh2 near Singur last week. I was on my bike with my dad. Saw a Dzire toppled in between the two roads and a TATA matador just beside the Dzire in a disastrous state. The whole cabin of the matador came off its chassis and was lying 10 feet away from the rest of the chassis.

The driver of the truck was lying in an unconscious state, he was bleeding from his ears. I was with my dad , he is a doctor. He kept a watch on the driver and the driver was breathing in a jerky way. Immediate medical help can save his life if his internal injury is limited. Beside him the helper was lying with broken leg and rib cage. He was in pain but he had external injures so chances of survival for him was quiet good. All the occupants of the Dzire came out unscratched.

Now how it occurred- According to the locals the driver of the Tata matador was drunk and he was doing above 80 with his unladen matador. A trailer was parked beside the road. The matador driver some how missed the trailor and rammed on the rear of it. It happened around 4pm so it was not at night/evening. When he hit the trailor at that time the Dzire was overtaking the matador and he seeing the accident got panicked and swerved his car to the right and his car toppled by going off the road. The Dzire was driven by an Navy officer along with his son and wife. I was talking to the Navy officer and asked him were they wearing the seat belts? And he replied he always wear seat belt, his wife was also wearing the seat belt and he even buckled up his kid in the rear seat. Thats the only reason they came out unscratched. The Dzire right side was damaged with the front tyre and front right suspension gone for a toss but the car can be repaired, it was not totaled.

While all these the Nh2 ambulance came up and took away the matador driver and his helper. Once the ambulance left we left the place too.

It was a Dzire VXI , so another classic example of seat belts saving the occupants and drink and drive making disaster. I didn't take any pictures as i was really feeling bad. But thought of sharing it over here.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2014 at 20:09. Reason: As requested
Samba is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 11:34   #14869
BHPian

Regarding volvo or other fast buses and trucks, all of them should be fitted with a black box (not necessary expensive) which records speeds. If the bus if found speeding the the insurance should not be awarded to the owner and criminal proceeding should be initiated against the driver.

Financial hit will make sure owners of these buses get their act together and make sure they appoint drivers with better sense.

Eventually this can be implemented on taxis and private vehicles too.

Make this black box a part of vehicle feature list just like power windows, central locking etc.
tazmaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 11:59   #14870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Terrible end to an 18 year old girl's life.
Photos graphic!
The pictures from the link have shaken me to the core. Innocent lives just end in a moment. What a terrible phase for the families of both the kids. RIP!! I am angry about these truck drivers not just in mumbai but in India as a whole because of their non-sensible driving habits and endangering innocent people.

Recently, On my trip to Mumbai last week; I was standing in the parking of my hotel when I saw a TATA 407 on the Nehru Road signal Vile Parle missing a Honda Activa by whiskers. That truck driver took right turn to Vile Parle West leaving the rider of the scooter unbalanced. Thankfully nothing major happened and the constable there spoke to the rider in marathi and helped him stand back.

Thanks

AD

Last edited by ad3952n : 22nd January 2014 at 12:01. Reason: Quote tag fix
ad3952n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 12:55   #14871
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Now moved to Youtube
ajmat,

One of the wonderful 'Italian Job' scooterists in BLR. While the auto was certainly at fault the kook was at unsustainable speeds. ANY deviation from his ideal assessment was bound to result in mayhem.

Hope HE learnt a lesson. Was the poor BMW driver/owner around?

What dashcam are you using?
Old 23rd January 2014, 06:30   #14872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Witnessed a bad accident on Nh2 near Singur last week. I was on my bike with my dad. Saw a Dzire toppled in between the two roads and a TATA matador just beside the Dzire in a disastrous state. .
What is a tata matador? 407?
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:22   #14873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
ajmat,

One of the wonderful 'Italian Job' scooterists in BLR. While the auto was certainly at fault ...
Not so. Or very minor fault if any. The 2-wheeler was overtaking on left, and not taking any account of what might happen as he did do. He got what he deserved.
Old 23rd January 2014, 14:47   #14874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
What is a tata matador? 407?
The cabin was in such a dilapidated condition i myself could not make out what was it. But my guess says mostly it was a Tata Eicher. I could not see the front as it was lying with the front head over the road. It was bigger than the Tata 407/609 and it didn't had a bonnet like a 407/609. As i was not sure about the model i didn't mention it here.
Old 25th January 2014, 17:20   #14875
BHPian

saw this today. Dont now what happened. Looks like this guy rear ended a truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140125_115640.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140125_115646.jpg  

bigben is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 22:57   #14876
Distinguished - BHPian

Yet another Volvo catches fire. This time its at Dankuni (6kms from my home). The bus was going to Asansol from Kolkata. Just after crossing the Dankuni toll booth at Nh 2 the drive noticed some smoke and he immediately ordered to evacuate the bus. With in minutes of evacuation the bus was in flames and was charred. The timely intervention of the driver saved the life of all the passengers and none where hurt too. The bus belonged to Shyamoli paribahan. http://www.shyamolibusservice.com/ As far as i know they have one of the best bus services in Kolkata. So may be the driver was trained enough for safety which came handy in this crunch situation.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1307-copy.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 25th January 2014 at 23:02.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 07:11   #14877
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Yet another Volvo catches fire. This time its at Dankuni (6kms from my home). The bus was going to Asansol from Kolkata. Just after crossing the Dankuni toll booth at Nh 2 the drive noticed some smoke and he immediately ordered to evacuate the bus. With in minutes of evacuation the bus was in flames and was charred. The timely intervention of the driver saved the life of all the passengers and none where hurt too. The bus belonged to Shyamoli paribahan. http://www.shyamolibusservice.com/ As far as i know they have one of the best bus services in Kolkata. So may be the driver was trained enough for safety which came handy in this crunch situation.

Attachment 1196512
Looking at the way these Volvo buses just get consumed by fire, it looks like as if hardly any fire retardant material is used in its fabrication. I've done many journeys in Volvo buses and the materials used inside are mostly synthetic clothes used in fabrication. Something needs to be done in this regard.
BoneCollector is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 14:00   #14878
BANNED

Blame the lax government restrictions for safety in any manner. No one else is responsible. The driver had a lot of presence of mind. Kudos to that.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 15:57   #14879
Senior - BHPian

Street race gone wrong , speeding Baleno rear-ended a truck on bye pass Ernakulam at 3.30 am today. The baleno driver walked out with minor injuries (hail seat belt) and the co driver was trapped inside the car. When the co driver was taken out he had only broken legs(seat belt saved). The accident was an outcome of a street race between 2 cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image3186091068.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2266404241.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2641682280.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1849740387.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1738792778.jpg  

Last edited by foby.sebastian : 26th January 2014 at 16:02.
Old 26th January 2014, 16:07   #14880
BHPian

Clicked this on your way to the rally didn't you ? I did click this too early morning when i passed through that side but was lazy to put it up. Btw, again as i was passing through i saw people standing and scooters parked on the fast lane . Recipe for an even bigger disaster. Wonder when people will learn.

OT : I missed the rally. Will catchup with you sometime.
aswin ajith is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed