Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2014, 23:20   #14896
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
You have passed on the judgement without even hearing the other side of the story, which is purely based on the general assumption that "bigger vehicle is always at fault."

With regards to running away, you know what happens at street justice in case of such instances.
Please read the link carefully. You will find these very phrases used therein. I am just reproducing what they have to say. There is no judgement from my side.
I would request you to please refrain from such thoughts. The victim has died and car driver has fled the spot. This is an inhuman, criminal act committed by the car driver, whosoever he or she is.

IPC Section 279,304 A [quote]
279. Rash driving or riding on a public way. 279. Rash driving or riding on a public way.--Whoever drives any vehicle, or rides, on any public way in a manner so rash or negligent as to endanger human life, or to be likely to cause hurt or injury to any other person, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to six months, or with fine, or with both.
304A. Causing death by negligence. 2*[304A. Causing death by negligence.--Whoever causes the death of any person by doing any rash or negligent act not amounting to culpable homicide shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both.]

Hit and Run case:
"Grievous hurt" shall have the same meaning as in the Indian Penal Code; (45 of 1860.)"Hit and run motor accident" means an accident arising out of the use of a motor vehicle or motor vehicles the identity whereof cannot be ascertained in spite of reasonable efforts for the purpose. [unquote]

It appears from your post that you are supporting the illegal,criminal act of the unidentified driver who has killed the victim and fled with his car. I think this is highly unjustified and uncalled for.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 27th January 2014 at 23:27.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 10:50   #14897
BHPian

Quote:
You have passed on the judgement without even hearing the other side of the story, which is purely based on the general assumption that "bigger vehicle is always at fault."

With regards to running away, you know what happens at street justice in case of such instances.
+1 to this, Shipnil. It is not right to pass judgement without knowing the complete turn of events

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

The friends of the victim are leaving no stone unturned to trace the murderer.
Murder as defined by IPC:

"Murder.--Except in the cases hereinafter excepted, culpable homicide is murder, if the act by which the death is caused is done with the intention of causing death, or- 167 2ndly.-If it is done with the intention of causing such bodily injury as the offender knows to be likely to cause the death of the person to whom the harm is caused. or- 3rdly.-If it is done with the intention of causing bodily injury to any person and the bodily injury intended to be inflicted is sufficient in the ordinary course of nature to cause death, or- 4thly.-If the person committing the act knows that it is so imminently dangerous that it must, in all probability, cause death, or such bodily injury as is likely to cause death, and commits such act without any excuse for incurring the risk of causing death or such injury as aforesaid."

An accident (Unless explicitly established) is not a murder as per the above definition.

Quote:
It appears from your post that you are supporting the illegal,criminal act of the unidentified driver who has killed the victim and fled with his car. I think this is highly unjustified and uncalled for.
It is indeed illegal and criminal to kill anyone. However the rights to pass judgement lies with the court of law who shall evaluates all witnesses / proof etc and then declare someone a criminal. Simply saying this does not make me a supporter of crime.

Last edited by engrohit : 28th January 2014 at 10:52.
Old 28th January 2014, 11:27   #14898
BHPian

Quote:
Please read the link carefully. You will find these very phrases used therein. I am just reproducing what they have to say. There is no judgement from my side.
Quote from the article - "In the hope of bringing his murderer to book, Vinit Sancheti’s friends have taken the battle online." I think anjan just quoted this and it is not his own judgement. Whoever is at fault, a life is lost and an accident and a hit & run are two different things. Hit & run accounts for a more serious criminal act, but yes, I understand the sentiments of some. In India, there is always a fear of local justice being served without seeing who is really at fault. But I would still prefer to stop and help the person, even if it is not my fault, if it had happened with me. Just my thought.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 13:33   #14899
BHPian

Quote:
I would request you to please refrain from such thoughts. The victim has died and car driver has fled the spot. This is an inhuman, criminal act committed by the car driver, whosoever he or she is.

It appears from your post that you are thinking the act of accident from that car was a pre meditated act. I simply don't understand how a road accident can be planned act.

I am sorry for the loss of life of the victim but at the same time I'd refrain from assuming that the victims had no role in causing the accident without knowing the full facts.

It appears from your posts that you have already decided the verdict based on the act of fleeing. In India people get beaten black and blue even if they just break somebody's tail lights in an accident.

It seems nowadays the judgement is simply handed out based on media trial. I hope team-bhp does not become such a place where members draw conclusions based on whatever is written in the media.
Old 28th January 2014, 13:55   #14900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There is a very different explanation here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3354801
Exactly !! I definitely would like to know what transpired since I know two of the victims who lost their lives in this accident .
Old 28th January 2014, 14:57   #14901
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys... if a loved one is lost, legal definitions have little meaning. People speak with emotions, and in those circumstances, who is to blame them?
Old 28th January 2014, 15:15   #14902
Senior - BHPian

Here is the picture of a Swift after an accident.
The car belongs to a friend of mine.
The accident happened on 26-01-2014 between 9:30 - 9:40 PM while he was returning from Kanha with his family. By the grace of God all are safe, except that his wife has a dislocated shoulder.

We still do not know how the accident happened, but most probably he dozed off, the car went off the road and turned turtle. Some good samaritan extracted them from inside the car and sent them to the hospital.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140128_132221.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20140128_132517.jpg
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 15:22   #14903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was a hit and run case and the youth who was on a black Yamaha lost his life being hit by an unknown car. The car driver sped away leaving behind only a hubcap. The car as per the interpretations was a Suzuki.

http://www.rediff.com/getahead/slide...r/20140127.htm

The friends of the victim are leaving no stone unturned to trace the murderer.
Quote:

If the driver fled the scene fearing mob violence, he could have surrendered at the police station. There have been a lot of instances where drivers have surrendered. Since that didn't happen here, I'm not sure if the car driver deserves any benefit of doubt. He is still evading the law and that is a fact.

Since the driver's identity is still unknown, I'm inclined to think there is no genuine 'other side of the story' excuse here.

BTW, the term 'murderer' might not apply here, unless the car was driven by someone who was unauthorised to drive due to any reason - no license, DUI etc. However, the crime of 'negligent driving resulting in death' does exist irrespective of the versions.

Last edited by zenren : 28th January 2014 at 15:33.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 17:24   #14904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Exactly !! I definitely would like to know what transpired since I know two of the victims who lost their lives in this accident .
my friend (who is a people manager in the company the victims worked in) was one of the folks from their company who rushed to the accident spot up on hearing the news. according to him the popular story doing the rounds is that the lorry was bring driven rashly and rammed the car from behind, crushing the car between the lorry and a wall.

earlier he told me that three were travelling in the car and three perished - one on the spot and two others DOA. however, when i checked with him yesterday he mentioned that three of them passed away, but one person survived. looks like the survivor was driving the car.

God only knows what's the truth.
Old 28th January 2014, 19:06   #14905
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3356040

One of our own, chethan, passed away a few days ago apparently, in a road accident. I interacted with him on his honda city ownership thread.
Rest easy, brother.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 06:08   #14906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
my friend (who is a people manager in the company the victims worked in) was one of the folks from their company who rushed to the accident spot up on hearing the news. according to him the popular story doing the rounds is that the lorry was bring driven rashly and rammed the car from behind, crushing the car between the lorry and a wall.

earlier he told me that three were travelling in the car and three perished - one on the spot and two others DOA. however, when i checked with him yesterday he mentioned that three of them passed away, but one person survived. looks like the survivor was driving the car.

God only knows what's the truth.
Two of the victims used to work in our company earlier . Apparently their team mate in the new company is an acquaintance and gave me the same story. Whatever said 3 young lives were lost , may their souls RIP.
Old 29th January 2014, 10:57   #14907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Street race gone wrong , speeding Baleno rear-ended a truck on bye pass Ernakulam at 3.30 am today. The baleno driver walked out with minor injuries (hail seat belt) and the co driver was trapped inside the car. When the co driver was taken out he had only broken legs(seat belt saved). The accident was an outcome of a street race between 2 cars.
First of all this car was not involved in any street race when the accident took place. The accident was an outcome of an innova which came into the speed track from the opposite lane all of a sudden with out any indication. So the driver of the baleno didn't had any choice rather than moving to the left lane. The truck was parked in the left lane of the of the high way without any lights, thus the car's left side rear-ended to the truck.
Old 29th January 2014, 11:51   #14908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinThekkan View Post
First of all this car was not involved in any street race when the accident took place. The accident was an outcome of an innova which came into the speed track from the opposite lane all of a sudden with out any indication. So the driver of the baleno didn't had any choice rather than moving to the left lane. The truck was parked in the left lane of the of the high way without any lights, thus the car's left side rear-ended to the truck.

It was the police and truck driver who told me about the race , maybe the loud sound from the exhaust pipes was misinterpreted as race. Any way the car was doing high speeds, Also the driver tried breaking hard which saved their lives. Any info on the co-driver’s current status ?
Old 29th January 2014, 12:16   #14909
BHPian

7 Dead,14 injured on Mumbai-Ahmedabad Highway.

Quote:
Seven people were killed and around 14 injured when a luxury bus in which they were travelling collided with a fuel tanker at Manor on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad National Highway early on Wednesday.

The Volvo bus belonging to Pune-based Purple Travels was on its way to Ahmedabad.
Source:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/29535762.cms
Old 29th January 2014, 12:27   #14910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami
I am not sure if my driving style is right or wrong, but I do get rear ended repeated in any car I drive now-a-days.
Given that our city roads are packed with more vehicles than they can handle, there is usually no space maintained between vehicles, which does not provide for adequate braking distance in case of sudden stops, leading to rear-ending.

While not possible to prevent rear-ending 100%, there are atleast couple ways to reduce the possibility that I try to follow :

1) drive predictably - monitor not just the car in front of you, but the ones even up front, so that you have almost as much reaction time as the guy in front.

2) While stopping, first dab the brakes lightly so that the guy behind gets a bit of an advance warning. Then brake fully. Ofcourse this is not possible in sudden braking scenarios.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed