Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 18:05   #1456
BHPian

I was on my way back to Banaglore on Sunday evening and happened to see an accident on Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri stretch. A truck was on the wrong side, (he was trying to save a few kms by avoiding the u-turn) smashed on to another truck which was coming on to it. I could see the fire fighters pulling the driver out (stuck in between the steering wheel and the driver seat). He was motionless. I asked a kid who was standing there about the accident. He replied, "sir. ange ava saavadichittange!" (I am not that good with Tamil. Any T-bhpian from Tamilnadu can shed some light).

I could not manage more pics, 'coz the car was in motion. I will upload the pic tonight or tomorrow.
Old 27th January 2009, 20:42   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRider View Post
. He replied, "sir. ange ava saavadichittange!" (I am not that good with Tamil. Any T-bhpian from Tamilnadu can shed some light).

I could not manage more pics, 'coz the car was in motion. I will upload the pic tonight or tomorrow.
He meant "He died on the spot."

May his soul RIP.
Old 27th January 2009, 21:45   #1458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
If you look on the highway, most accidents are due to 1: Overtaking (head on) 2: Loss of control due to overloading 3: Poor mechanical condition - tyre bursts, axle failures
Most highway accidents that I have come across over the years involving passenger cars (as opposed to goods vehicles and buses) are due to driver error - the commonest being the habit of tailgating. The "two second rule" of the Institute of Advanced Motoring, UK, is something no one in India has ever heard about. It simply asks the driver to maintain a 2-second gap behind the car ahead - with reference to a fixed point on the road, once the tail of the car ahead passes it, say to yourself "Only a fool breaks the two-second rule" - if your nose crosses that fixed point before you finish the sentence, you are following too close.

The Safari in the accompanying pic went into the back of a truck on a divided highway (NH-3, on the way from Agra to Gwalior) not 2 cars ahead of me. He'd tailgated me and tried to overtake rashly a few times in heavy traffic, and I pulled over and let him go (though I could have easily outrun him on an open road - a Safari 2.0L is no contest for an Accent Viva CRDi). A few minutes later, an empty truck braked hard for a cow, and this picture happened. The truck didn't even stop!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01717.jpg  

Old 28th January 2009, 00:01   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The Safari in the accompanying pic went into the back of a truck on a divided highway (NH-3, on the way from Agra to Gwalior) not 2 cars ahead of me. He'd tailgated me and tried to overtake rashly a few times in heavy traffic, and I pulled over and let him go (though I could have easily outrun him on an open road - a Safari 2.0L is no contest for an Accent Viva CRDi). A few minutes later, an empty truck braked hard for a cow, and this picture happened. The truck didn't even stop!
And no seatbelts also...
Old 28th January 2009, 00:10   #1460
Senior - BHPian

Well, they'll wear the belts from now on for sure.
Old 28th January 2009, 07:46   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Well, they'll wear the belts from now on for sure.
Are they alive to wear it? Damn, these guys dont have a certain basic sense and they start driving on highways. I cannot drive a few mts in city traffic without a seat belt and people sometimes call me "Obscessive to Seat belts"

Abhi
Old 28th January 2009, 11:55   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRider View Post
He replied, "sir. ange ava saavadichittange!" (I am not that good with Tamil. Any T-bhpian from Tamilnadu can shed some light).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
He meant "He died on the spot."

May his soul RIP.
That is sad. May his soul rest in peace.

We (towards Bangalore) were asked to take the service road. The on-coming traffic made use of the left side as the other side was blocked for the rescue work.

Pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p1040004.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p1040005.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p1040007.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p1040008.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p1040009.jpg  

Last edited by TomRider : 28th January 2009 at 11:59.
Old 28th January 2009, 12:12   #1463
Senior - BHPian

The Hindu : Tamil Nadu / Tirunelveli News : 15 pilgrims die as van rams milk lorry
Quote:

As they were just 9 km away from their homes, the van reportedly took the wrong lane and dashed against the milk lorry around 2.30 a.m.
The victims battled for their lives for about an hour with bleeding injuries as police came to know about the accident only after a passerby informed them. By then, 11 persons had succumbed to injuries. Four others died on the way to hospital.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vanlorry.jpg  

Old 29th January 2009, 13:25   #1464
BHPian

last saturday saw a spotless black merc C class (didnt quite get the model though , it was a 2 seater coupe) with the front end smashed in hebbal flyover around 4 PM. Looks like the engine bay area had taken a major beating .Did anyone else get to see it. Sorry couldnt take any photos.
Old 30th January 2009, 12:55   #1465
Senior - BHPian

here is a funny accident from a parking lot of a mall. i cant figure out what the driver of the vehicle was thinking or doing!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-26012009195.jpg  

Old 30th January 2009, 13:10   #1466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
mitshubushi lancer.

have a check with the left hand side front tyre,

i think this thread dosent give much importance to the accidents in Indian rally scene

is it
I'm more concerned about the way they're jacking up the car!!
Unless the jack is really long, they're lifting it up by the engine block??!
Old 31st January 2009, 07:09   #1467
BANNED

Today i saw an accident .The santro was being driven at around 80km/hr in middle lane when all of a sudden a bike came in front of him from rightmost lane and to avoid him he turned left and some idiot Wagon R person with wife stopped his car dead in front of him in the middle of the road(I wonder what the wagon R guy was thinking).The santro has taken a huge hit.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00383.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc00384.jpg  

Old 31st January 2009, 08:57   #1468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
here is a funny accident from a parking lot of a mall. i cant figure out what the driver of the vehicle was thinking or doing!
This look's as if drink and drive case.
Old 31st January 2009, 10:35   #1469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Today i saw an accident .The santro was being driven at around 80km/hr in middle lane when all of a sudden a bike came in front of him from rightmost lane and to avoid him he turned left and some idiot Wagon R person with wife stopped his car dead in front of him in the middle of the road(I wonder what the wagon R guy was thinking).The santro has taken a huge hit.
i think i had seen this santro in rajouri or janak puri area.
Old 31st January 2009, 10:50   #1470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
That's weird, i really don't know what he was upto. Probably he was drunk.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks