Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 08:08   #2101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
The family which was in the Swift which turtled on expressway were our relatives. RIP
Sorry to hear that man. My condolences. RIP.
Old 15th April 2009, 12:56   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Funny thing about Pajero's accidents and tyre busting as the cause. Over the years I keep hearing stories of Pajero toppling due to tire bursting and folks having lost their lives.

I had aftermarket (255/70/15) goodyears fitted on my Safari and one of them burst at 80 Km/h she still remaind steady stable no pulling or yanking was able to bring her to a complete stop without a murmur is this something to do with Pajeros? There was also a old diesel prado (grey import) which toppled horribly on the mumbai pune expressway due to tire burst some people died in it. Is this something more akin with high ground clearance/light weight combo that makes Pajero's & Prado more unstable than other SUV's say Safari or Land Cruisers or Petrols etc?

Last edited by canonball : 15th April 2009 at 13:00.
Old 15th April 2009, 13:10   #2103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Funny thing about Pajero's accidents and tyre busting as the cause. Over the years I keep hearing stories of Pajero toppling due to tire bursting and folks having lost their lives.

I had aftermarket (255/70/15) goodyears fitted on my Safari and one of them burst at 80 Km/h she still remaind steady stable no pulling or yanking was able to bring her to a complete stop without a murmur is this something to do with Pajeros? There was also a old diesel prado (grey import) which toppled horribly on the mumbai pune expressway due to tire burst some people died in it. Is this something more akin with high ground clearance/light weight combo that makes Pajero's & Prado more unstable than other SUV's say Safari or Land Cruisers or Petrols etc?
I don't think that it has anything to with the vehicle itself. I think it has more to do with what speed the vehicle was traveling at when the tyre burst.

Edit: And also the competence of the driver to control the vehicle at that speed.
Old 15th April 2009, 13:40   #2104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I don't think that it has anything to with the vehicle itself. I think it has more to do with what speed the vehicle was traveling at when the tyre burst.

Edit: And also the competence of the driver to control the vehicle at that speed.
+1 to it,its highly unlikely that a reputed vehicle will be prone to such things.It all depends on tyre's condition,air pressure,driver's skill and ultimately the luck factor.
Old 15th April 2009, 13:56   #2105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
+1 to it,its highly unlikely that a reputed vehicle will be prone to such things.It all depends on tyre's condition,air pressure,driver's skill and ultimately the luck factor.
Really?

Typical Indian mentality - just because it is imported doesnt mean you kiss their bottoms. I wouldnt go so far and call it "reputed vehicle", it is an alright vehicle for the purpose.

Pajeros are known to flip over -> Mitsubishi SUV 'Unsafe' yourlawyer.com/articles/read/8145

Last edited by aerohit : 15th April 2009 at 13:59.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:04   #2106
Senior - BHPian

Seeing the condition of Pajero its amazing people survived in the crash.
Would be interesting to know what speed it was doing. As per condition should be more than 130 atleast.
@F50- Sorry to hear that. RIP.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:05   #2107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Really?

Typical Indian mentality - just because it is imported doesnt mean you kiss their bottoms. I wouldnt go so far and call it "reputed vehicle", it is an alright vehicle for the purpose.

Pajeros are known to flip over -> Mitsubishi SUV 'Unsafe' yourlawyer.com/articles/read/8145
Indian mentality?Aren't u Indian enough that you are upto giving a bad name to it?
Coming to the pajeros and cruisers,pajero may be dated,but both of them are atleast more proven and reputed (world wide) than say a tata safari.
Why drag the 'indian mentality' thing in between? If personal wars is all that you want by pin pointing and making unwanted remarks kindly use the PM service, so that i reply in an appropriate and indian way.

and as for the link and flipin over part,come on mate,we all know that old school suvs are not good handlers by any standards.

What I was talking about was the tyre burst issue,which In My HIGH Opinion has nothing to do with pajero/cruiser/tata or whatever.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 15th April 2009 at 14:08.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:09   #2108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had aftermarket (255/70/15) goodyears fitted on my Safari and one of them burst at 80 Km/h she still remaind steady stable no pulling or yanking was able to bring her to a complete stop without a murmur is this something to do with Pajeros?
Well, its possible that they are doing much higher speeds than 80 km/h. Besides it toppled because it hit the divider.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:24   #2109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Seeing the condition of Pajero its amazing people survived in the crash.
Would be interesting to know what speed it was doing. As per condition should be more than 130 atleast.
@F50- Sorry to hear that. RIP.
Harry 10 as far i know the speed was around 60 kmph
Old 15th April 2009, 15:39   #2110
Senior - BHPian

I keep hearing this time and again. One Pajero toppled in Rajesthan a Delhi socialites daughter was killed on the spot reason tire burst, same story in Kohlapur and other parts of India.

YC there is no context to what you say between Pajero and Safari both having different ages (pajero) being around longer for that matter there was no pajero before 1980 so this can go on.

I drove my safari (1998 model) at 160 km/h on the Mum/pune expressway and took all the turns with ease I drove pajero and did not feel the same, have you driven both these cars?

My driver drove the Safari on a similar divider as shown in the Goa pics at 80 km/h in pitch night (no street lights) in panvel and the car still remained rock solid (the lower arm mounting point on the chasis was bent thats it!) I have taken umpteen emergency turns on the Mumbai Goa highway (known to be a death trap) at 90/100kmph in this car and none of the wheels left the ground. On Nasik/pune highway I hit a hump at 120kmph she took off a few centimeters from the ground and landed straight and we continued as though nothing had happened (my father hit the roof with his head

Safari may be Indian and a young product on many levels but on highway handling she could lick these imports though not sure of the new Dicor's/VVT's as I have no experience on them. What Tata got right is that the wheelbase on the Safari is almost square with minimum overhang therefore she has read SUPERB handling on the highway, in city is a different story alltogether (depending on how you can move her). Ofcourse she was flawed on many levels but Tata got the highway handling bang on so much so that international makes can learn something from it my 2 bits

Indra SLK if it was indeed at 60kmph it further firms my doubts about the pajero handling

Last edited by canonball : 15th April 2009 at 15:57.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:42   #2111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My drive drove the Safari on a similar divider as shown in the Goa pics at 80 km/h in pitch night (no street lights) in panvel and the car still remained rock solid (the lower arm mounting point on the chasis was bent thats it!) I have umteen emergency turns on the Mumbai Goa highway (none to be a death trap) at 90/100kmph in this car and none of the wheels left the ground. On Nasik/pune highway I hit a hump at 120kmph she took of a few centimeters from the ground and landed straight and continued as though nothing had happened (my father hit the roof with his head
Canonball your driving style is the same as your nick...! lol
Old 15th April 2009, 15:54   #2112
Senior - BHPian

tejas I am getting older now (read tired!!) I love to drive have close to 200,000km of international driving and another 300,000km of India. India tires you the hell out. I got that handle name a few years ago when spirits were high now getting slower by the months have 2 young kids who ride at the back to think about

Last edited by canonball : 15th April 2009 at 16:12.
Old 15th April 2009, 16:13   #2113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
What I was talking about was the tyre burst issue,which In My HIGH Opinion has nothing to do with pajero/cruiser/tata or whatever.Regards.
Ok Sir , Sorry - I am trying to explain that Pajero specifically has known cases worldwide for tipping over more than usual - for all kinds of reasons including tyre burst. This is well known documented issue worldwide, and I am surprised people are paying import duties for this. No wonder HM-Mitubishi is still selling their old and outdated pajero over here.

If you read the article please, you will know why - (2001 is not old school, forget the the one in the pics here) There are many more articles. Mitsubishi Montero Rollover Lawsuit SUV Accident Lawyer

Last edited by aerohit : 15th April 2009 at 16:14.
Old 15th April 2009, 16:19   #2114
Senior - BHPian

People pay duties/buy this outdated pajero because either they are diehard 4X4 enthus or which is most likely the case with most i know buy it because there still is a residue of the old status symbol used by film/politicos etc.

They could not buy them then but can do now, I would buy the other softroaders instead
Old 15th April 2009, 17:15   #2115
BHPian

Quote:
People pay duties/buy this outdated pajero because either they are diehard 4X4 enthus or which is most likely the case with most i know buy it because there still is a residue of the old status symbol used by film/politicos etc.

They could not buy them then but can do now, I would buy the other softroaders instead
i agree with you canonball, people pay 20 lac for a car which is nearly 10 yrs old. instead they can buy a outlander, CRV or any other softroader.

Most Viewed